The New Julius Randle

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reignfire
Sixth Man
And1: 864

Re: The New Julius Randle 

Post#41 » by reignfire » Fri Apr 4, 2014 5:15 pm

I have Vonleh ahead of him. Vonleh is also a banger and I bet if they went head to head, Vonleh would get the better of him.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,220

Post#42 » by EvanZ » Fri Apr 4, 2014 10:13 pm

doordoor123 wrote:His ceiling seems higher than it was. Sometimes, in that last game, he seems unstoppable. He could end up being a LeBron James-type.

Not surprising from guy who thinks Jimmer is a future All-Star.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,806

Post#43 » by Mik317 » Fri Apr 4, 2014 10:24 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:His ceiling seems higher than it was. Sometimes, in that last game, he seems unstoppable. He could end up being a LeBron James-type.

You know bringing this up in every thread makes you look like a stalker...just putting that out there
#NeverGonnaBeGood
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#44 » by EvanZ » Sat Apr 5, 2014 3:52 pm

Mik317 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

You know bringing this up in every thread makes you look like a stalker...just putting that out there

In every thread he's had some whacked out comparison like this. Jimmer is an All-Star, Kaminsky is Dirk, Randle is LeBron.

Either he's trolling or needs to learn something.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,533

Post#45 » by Profound23 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 4:03 am

This guy will be a solid, borderline allstar. He is good at certain aspects of basketball.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#46 » by doordoor123 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 2:01 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Mik317 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

In every thread he's had some whacked out comparison like this. Jimmer is an All-Star, Kaminsky is Dirk, Randle is LeBron.

Either he's trolling or needs to learn something.

I don't even believe in comparisons. They're stupid. I see a quality that I see in other players and compare that quality. I'm not saying Julius Randle is going to be LeBron, but LeBron is a player with normal skills and normal flaws. You speak as if he's an untouchable god. NEWSFLASH: He's a basketball player that probably won't even win MVP this year.
And I never made the Kaminsky to Dirk comparison. I said that my friend did, and I could see some of those qualities in the way he played the other night.
I never said Jimmer was an All-Star. I said it was completely possible that Jimmer could one day be an All-Star based on skill, not size and athleticism (which you seem to think all players need to have to make an All-star game).
Stop bothering me, please. Before this gets serious and I need to start reporting you for stalking me.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#47 » by EvanZ » Sun Apr 6, 2014 3:11 pm

doordoor123 wrote: I see a quality that I see in other players and compare that quality. I'm not saying Julius Randle is going to be LeBron, but LeBron is a player with normal skills and normal flaws. You speak as if he's an untouchable god. NEWSFLASH: He's a basketball player that probably won't even win MVP this year.

This statement speaks for itself. :crazy:

This guy doordoor has some of the worst takes I've ever seen in my life regarding basketball. It's quite an accomplishment, because I've seen my share.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#48 » by doordoor123 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 3:43 pm

EvanZ wrote:
doordoor123 wrote: I see a quality that I see in other players and compare that quality. I'm not saying Julius Randle is going to be LeBron, but LeBron is a player with normal skills and normal flaws. You speak as if he's an untouchable god. NEWSFLASH: He's a basketball player that probably won't even win MVP this year.

This guy doordoor has some of the worst takes I've ever seen in my life regarding basketball. It's quite an accomplishment, because I've seen my share.

Well, you're taking my comment out of context. And it seems you always do. So that's great. Troll on and stop bothering me.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#49 » by Golabki » Sun Apr 6, 2014 4:54 pm

Certainly a lotto pick, but I think there are several big red flags:

1. Bulky forwards that are primarily scorers in college often have a difficult time adjusting to the NBA (e.g. Derrick Williams, Beasley, Bennett).

2. Really bad steal/block numbers, suggests he's a best going to an average defender at the next level and generally put a question mark on this athleticism and motor.

3. Mediocre passing is a red flag for an offensive first player unless it's a catch and shoot guy (which Randle clearly isn't). If you are going to build an offense around Randel post up he needs to be an elite passer... and we havne't seen any evidence of that at the college level.

The up side for Randel is a West/Boozer/Randolph type power forwards... meaning quality starter / fringe all star, but none of those guys that could really be #1 or even #2 options on a contender. Carl Landry is a guy in that mold that's had more of a role-player like career. And Sullinger is a younger guy that is sort of on that path.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#50 » by humblebum » Sun Apr 6, 2014 4:55 pm

Notanoob wrote:
In that last game he was being guarded by the 6'6" and 210lbs Glen Robinson, who he had 3 inches and 40lbs on, and even saw Zach Irvin guarding him once or twice, who is also 6'6" 185lbs. I wouldn't put too much stock into this particular game.

His reach hasn't improved. His steals+block numbers are still poor, as are his assist numbers. Nor is he an impressive leaper (high standard here for me). So all of those are not good indicators. Steals/blocks and vert all are predictive of PF defense in the NBA, so Randle does not project to be a great defender. He can excel as a post defender due to his strength, but that's about it.

On the other hand, he is one of the best rebounders in this draft class, and good college rebounders are good NBA rebounders, so he has an elite skill to sell a team on and carve out a roll for himself. His face up game is pretty nice. He draws a TON of fouls, which is very valuable, especially since is FG% isn't standing out. If his jumpshooting becomes at least respectable, he should be a very useful offensive player. His FT% is not abysmal like Aaron Gordon's is, so there is hope for him to improve there.

He is a bit TO prone, and needs to try and improve his passing, but that's the sort of thing that generally doesn't change. He does pass out of double teams, which is good, but his play-making in general is not that great. He has a terrible A/TO ratio.

He's a lottery pick for sure I think, but how high he goes depends on a lot of things. I can't judge him against international prospects, because I simply don't know enough about them. Plus, team needs come into the equation. But uh, say 5th overall? If Exum doesn't impress in the workouts, I could easily see the Lakers drafting him. Not the Celtics or Bucks (if they get passed in the lottery); maybe the 76ers if they're 3rd. I'm not a huge fan, but I think this draft is pretty overrated in general, so I still would place him fairly high on a big-board. I like Vonleh more than him, and I feel like Stokes is close to him as well, but whatever.

I expect that he should pan out into a solid player, but I don't know if he'll be a real star. Good rebounding+scoring is a nice combination that will earn him a starting job, but his playmaking and defense will hold him back. I don't know if he's a good enough scorer to earn an all-star appearance, especially if he doesn't develop a decent jumper.

Relevant articles, credit to CBB_fan:
http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/archive/201 ... d-defense/
http://www.canishoopus.com/2014/2/26/54 ... -prospects

This is a strong and pretty comprehensive post.

I'm a big fan of Randle. I think he's got elite intangibles and his physical presence is relentless. He's a guy who can get his shot from the low and mid block which he compliments with the high draw foul rate and his tremendous offensive rebounding ability. He's a willing passer, and an accurate passer on the drive and kick. If he can develop a mid-range shot he'll be unguardable as he'll have the combination of quickness/craft and strength/explosiveness that will make him a mismatch when guarded by both swings and power forwards.

And then I think you just have to look at his "presence". He has that "it" factor out there, his upside is pretty ridiculous. He needs to add the mid-range shot, improve his FT, and he HAS to develop the ability to defend both forward positions on the perimeter. That combined with improved execution and his natural physical presence in the paint and on the boards would make him a rock solid impact guy defensively. And despite the fact that he doesn't have ideal length he's a pretty fluid athlete who can elevate and knows how to move his feet and play physical.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#51 » by MrBigShot » Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:28 pm

doordoor123 wrote:I don't even believe in comparisons. They're stupid. I see a quality that I see in other players and compare that quality. I'm not saying Julius Randle is going to be LeBron, but LeBron is a player with normal skills and normal flaws. You speak as if he's an untouchable god. NEWSFLASH: He's a basketball player that probably won't even win MVP this year.
And I never made the Kaminsky to Dirk comparison. I said that my friend did, and I could see some of those qualities in the way he played the other night.
I never said Jimmer was an All-Star. I said it was completely possible that Jimmer could one day be an All-Star based on skill, not size and athleticism (which you seem to think all players need to have to make an All-star game).
Stop bothering me, please. Before this gets serious and I need to start reporting you for stalking me.

Personally when I read "LeBron type player" I think great combination of size/strength/speed to go along with point guard-like ball handling and playmaking skills and the ability to guard multiple positions, and I'd assume that's similar to how others would perceive that as well. Randle will never have that combination of abilities.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#52 » by ManualRam » Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:29 pm

serious question. i was asked this last night and had to think hard about it.
physically and skill-wise, what does randle have over thomas robinson when he came out of college?
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#53 » by MalonesElbows » Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:39 pm

ManualRam wrote:serious question. i was asked this last night and had to think hard about it.
physically and skill-wise, what does randle have over thomas robinson when he came out of college?

immensely better footwork. Better motor. Knows how to draw a foul.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#54 » by ManualRam » Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:54 pm

immensely better footwork? randle has like one move with the ball and shuffles his feet a lot to power up. both are/were bully, face up PFs with 1 counter spin to get to their strong hand.
better motor? i'll disagree with that.
randle does shoot 1 FTA more than robinson did per 36. so i'll give him the slight edge there.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Antrim
Sixth Man
And1: 703

Post#55 » by Antrim » Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:55 pm

ManualRam wrote:serious question. i was asked this last night and had to think hard about it.

Normally I agree with your analysis but in this one we're in opposite sides of the room.

2 years younger. Considerably bigger already, about 20 lbs right out of college. Shown better coordination, footwork and ball skills, touch around the basket, understanding of the game... there's really no comparison.
Antrim
Sixth Man
And1: 703

Post#56 » by Antrim » Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:59 pm

ManualRam wrote:immensely better footwork? randle has like one move with the ball and shuffles his feet a lot to power up. both are/were bully, face up PFs with 1 counter spin to get to their strong hand.
randle does shoot 1 FTA more than robinson did per 36. so i'll give him the slight edge there.

Randle occupies a whole lot more space than Robinson ever did. He's in a different level as a bully. He's also doing these things while being two years younger than Robinson was when he left college.

I got another question for you in the same mold. Physically and skill-wise, what did Griffin have over Randle after their freshman year?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#57 » by ManualRam » Sun Apr 6, 2014 6:06 pm

Antrim wrote:

Normally I agree with your analysis but in this one we're in opposite sides of the room.

2 years younger. Considerably bigger already, about 20 lbs right out of college. Shown better coordination, footwork and ball skills, touch around the basket, understanding of the game... there's really no comparison.

i was just posing a question, not making a comparison. age is a major difference. there is no arguing against that which is why i kept to strictly skills and physicality.
they were 2 different types of prospects though. one was a late bloomer who had to be built the other was the much more highly regarded blue chipper.

footwork, i just touched on that in my last post. i don't think randle's footwork is anything special.
touch around the basket? 46% in conference play with the majority of his shots coming near the hoop.

neither strike me as intelligent players. both play more like bulls in a china shop, but i think robinson was more relentless and spazzy, whereas randle plays in spurts.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#58 » by ManualRam » Sun Apr 6, 2014 6:10 pm

Antrim wrote:
ManualRam wrote:immensely better footwork? randle has like one move with the ball and shuffles his feet a lot to power up. both are/were bully, face up PFs with 1 counter spin to get to their strong hand.

Randle occupies a whole lot more space than Robinson ever did. He's in a different level as a bully. He's also doing these things while being two years younger than Robinson was when he left college.

I got another question for you in the same mold. Physically and skill-wise, what did Griffin have over Randle after their freshman year?

if randle occupies so much more space then why does he get pushed off the block? if he was such a inside physical presence who took up space then why did cal move him off the block?

footwork, better understanding of positioning, better overall fundamentals (blockouts, seals and screen setting), shot selection, passing. blake was also the better athlete with more lift.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Xepa777
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,743

Post#59 » by Xepa777 » Sun Apr 6, 2014 6:44 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Well, you're taking my comment out of context. And it seems you always do. So that's great. Troll on and stop bothering me.

1) Diminishing LeBron who's a 2 time NBA champion and 4x MVP is ridiculous on any level. He has strengths and weaknesses? Alright...so should I compare my basketball skills to LeBron because I'm often times the best passer at the YMCA? LOL. For real? And I'm a LeBron hater, check my post history!

2) Comparing a player to another player implies they have a minimum threshhold of synergies. That's like me comparing Embiid to Kobe because they're both above average passers. Like...what? Really? No, that's not how comparisons are.

3) Great job comparing tall white guys to each other with Dirk.

I'm completely wasting my time responding to this, but it's so absurd/hilarious that I had to. So congrats for your trolling. +1
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#60 » by MalonesElbows » Sun Apr 6, 2014 7:02 pm

I don't see Randle as an all star but will be better than Robinson. He is just a more versatile player that will be able to adjust his game from face up to post up on the fly depending on who is guarding him. Randle shoots virtually no jump shots and still scored 15 ppg. At 70% FT I think his mid range jumper will be coming along very quickly, and will meld into a 80% face up, 20% post up player in the NBA. Time will tell.

Return to NBA Draft