Future draft classes

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Re: Future draft classes 

Post#601 » by EMG518 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:39 am

ManualRam wrote:for some reason i thought it'd be interesting to tune into the UA elite 24 game because of the mix of players from different classes but i got about 10 min into it before i turned it off.
amazing setting, uninteresting basketball.

For myself seeing alot of these guys for the first time I was very interested. I could see how someone who has seen these guys play many times could be uniterested in this type of event though.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#602 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:16 pm

EMG518 wrote:Ferguson seems kinds of small to be a good defender at the higher levels to me. No doubt he is athletic and has a jice shot as well. Feels like a back end 1st rounder to me.

Ferg has some time to grow and put some weight on. I don't think he'll be huge or anything but he should be big enough to handle a little contact. I think his length and athleticism will be the thing that makes him a high level defender at the next levels. wasn't big on Ferg until I got to see more of him got him on the radar now.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#603 » by Marcus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:46 pm

after watching more U17 couldn't help but be impressed with Caleb Swanigan. He did a great job doing a lot of bigman little things the right way. He was great on the PnR hedge and hustled back to his man. his defensive rotations were great. used his body well on the boards. was good with spacing on the offensive end and provided a nice target on rim-runs (guards needed to do better with entry passes). I thought the kid was all-around phenomenal at showing his IQ on the court and looked like the SMARTEST bigman prospect on the US team. obviously not as gifted athletically as some of his cohorts but he made a lot of the "right plays" on both ends of the ball and was very impressive.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#604 » by karkinos » Mon Sep 8, 2014 4:05 am

when this kid gets some muscle on him he will beast

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7E8VbJV6-o[/youtube]
Ziggs
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#605 » by Ziggs » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Derryck Thorthon vs Dennis Smith? As NBA prospects!?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#606 » by Marcus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:37 pm

Ziggs wrote:Derryck Thorthon vs Dennis Smith? As NBA prospects!?

Don't think Thornton will be considered the prospect that Smith is due to Smith's athletic advantage.

Thornton is shiftier, Smith has better stop and go

both have solid jumpers

Smith is stronger and should finish around the rim better although Thornton does a good job using the glass and his weak hand is effective around the rim as well.

On defense Thornton doesn't need to be switched on as much as Smith in order to be effective but both are good on that end.

Both play at their own pace and are smooth and composed.

we have a couple years to see how Thornton heels and if he grows. time enough for both to work on their jumpers.

I think both will be good pros but Smith's athletic advantage could put him into top 5-10 range in a loaded class while Thornton might be looking at mid late 1st or a couple years in school.
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#607 » by Marcus » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:09 pm

so ESPN updated their HS rankings

Jaylen Brown finally got his love and is ranked 2nd behind Ben Simmons in the 2015 class. Ivan Rabb dropped to 5th (somehow behind Henry Ellenson whom I've still yet to be impressed by/with). Caleb Swanigan who I loved at FIBA cracked the top 10.

In 2016 Dennis Smith finally cracked the top 5. Jayson Tatum took over with the top spot. Derryck Thornton is 10th with Lonzo Ball at 11 so i'm excited to see how those two end up in regards to that PG slot behind Dennis Smith by the time they hit college. Harry Giles rounds out the top 3 with Josh Jackson sitting at number 2.

pretty notable absense from the list is Thon Maker.

I would only assume that is because the re-class is still a question. Because the move to Canada shouldn't be a disqualifier considering Justin Jackson is still on the list.
Watch More Basketball

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#608 » by ManualRam » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:53 pm

not feeling tatum in the top spot. factoring in pro potential, he wouldnt be in my top 3 for his class either.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#609 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:06 am

ManualRam wrote:not feeling tatum in the top spot. factoring in pro potential, he wouldnt be in my top 3 for his class either.

yeah wasn't too fond of that either.

nbadraft.net released top 10 of the HS kids with the most pro potential and ranked Tatum 10th for the same reason you mentioned about his pro potential not being very high compared to some of the other kids at the HS level. Something about him not being a superstar talent but maybe an all-star at some point. likening him to Allan Houston as far as potential.

Ayton reeled in that top spot again and the write said Shawn Kemp athleticism with David Robinson mind for the game.

dunno how off that is because they get outrageous at times with the comps but I know you've seen more of him so what say you to that?
Watch More Basketball

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#610 » by ManualRam » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:12 am

Marcus wrote:
ManualRam wrote:not feeling tatum in the top spot. factoring in pro potential, he wouldnt be in my top 3 for his class either.

yeah wasn't too fond of that either.

nbadraft.net released top 10 of the HS kids with the most pro potential and ranked Tatum 10th for the same reason you mentioned about his pro potential not being very high compared to some of the other kids at the HS level. Something about him not being a superstar talent but maybe an all-star at some point. likening him to Allan Houston as far as potential.

Ayton reeled in that top spot again and the write said Shawn Kemp athleticism with David Robinson mind for the game.

dunno how off that is because they get outrageous at times with the comps but I know you've seen more of him so what say you to that?

tatum would have to become a pure shooter to become an allan houston type. tatum's actually more of a volume scorer.

i dont think ayton's athleticism is that of shawn kemp's, but who knows. when kemp was his age, he was a man-child, filled out frame and all. the kid doesn't even have man muscles yet. idk about the d-rob "mind for the game" comment either. he's still just a soph. all i know is that he has the tools, he has the temperament (great motor, unselfish and plays locked in on both ends) and he does have some semblance of skill with the touch on his jumper.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#611 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:02 pm

ManualRam wrote:tatum would have to become a pure shooter to become an allan houston type. tatum's actually more of a volume scorer.

i don't think Houston was a comp in terms of game but more in terms of what tier of NBA player he'll eventually top out as.
Watch More Basketball

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#612 » by reanimator » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:54 pm

Marcus wrote:so ESPN updated their HS rankings

Jaylen Brown finally got his love and is ranked 2nd behind Ben Simmons in the 2015 class. Ivan Rabb dropped to 5th (somehow behind Henry Ellenson whom I've still yet to be impressed by/with). Caleb Swanigan who I loved at FIBA cracked the top 10.

In 2016 Dennis Smith finally cracked the top 5. Jayson Tatum took over with the top spot. Derryck Thornton is 10th with Lonzo Ball at 11 so i'm excited to see how those two end up in regards to that PG slot behind Dennis Smith by the time they hit college. Harry Giles rounds out the top 3 with Josh Jackson sitting at number 2.

I would only assume that is because the re-class is still a question. Because the move to Canada shouldn't be a disqualifier considering Justin Jackson is still on the list.

Justin Jackson plays at Findlay
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#613 » by Marcus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 pm

reanimator wrote:
Marcus wrote:so ESPN updated their HS rankings

Justin Jackson plays at Findlay

you're right, didn't even check for that. that makes more sense for Thon to be out then.
Watch More Basketball

Ziggs
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#614 » by Ziggs » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:51 pm

I just can't think why Tatum deserved to be over Jackson, Smith and Giles. At the u17 worlds Jackson looked as the guy with most potential. If he was given more responsibilities for scoring, he would easily be the MVP. But, he defended and showed good passing from PNR. One thing I noticed about Jackson is that he has a crazy timing, he had a lot of highlight putbacks. Top three for me for that class, as follows, Jackson, Smith then Giles.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#615 » by Marcus » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 pm

Ziggs wrote:I just can't think why Tatum deserved to be over Jackson, Smith and Giles. At the u17 worlds Jackson looked as the guy with most potential. If he was given more responsibilities for scoring, he would easily be the MVP. But, he defended and showed good passing from PNR. One thing I noticed about Jackson is that he has a crazy timing, he had a lot of highlight outbacks. Top three for me for that class, as follows, Jackson, Smith then Giles.

yeah i don't understand the Tatum ranking over the guys you mentioned either. Especially if you factor in potential (which i know isn't apart of these kinds of rankings) but Tatum isn't a better basketball player than the aforementioned trio.

Thought Jackson was good in FIBA but just out of control sometimes, short fused too. Saw a lot of bad reactions to call and non-calls from him which he turned into anger and aggression on the court to both good and bad results. we'll see how that carries going forward.

Personally I think Caleb Swanigan impressed me the most on that FIBA team.
Watch More Basketball

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#616 » by No-Man » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Ram, have you seen any footage of Kwe Parker? I saw only some highlights, and oh boy, its been a while since a player surprised me as a dunker, unbelieveable bouncing ability specially for a tiny guy, he is like 6-1.
Remembers me of Beverley in the way he moves, really quick and flashy, even the hair and the type of game, supposedly he is a SG at that size, Beverley was too.
Apparently he got offers from UNC and Duke, but before he was only considering VT, Boston College, Charlotte, Clemson and Wake Forest, that is in the lead according to the websites.
Is he a breakout candidate for next season? right now he is in top50-75 as a 4 star in most of the webpages, he should be a freshmen next fall as a 19 year old player (96' gen).
I'm jusy intrigued.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWfvGiMXmAw&app=desktop[/youtube]

There are many good dunks, but the what he does at 0.14 and 0.23 is just mindblowing.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#617 » by ManualRam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:02 pm

i haven't seen much of kwe play. his aau team is an unaffiliated one, so i haven't gotten to see him in that setting. i have seen him on his HS team, but i only checked it out to watch dennis smith. kwe's a thin 6'2 wing and as you mentioned, he's old for his class. idk, skill-wise i didnt see anything noteworthy out of him. i thought he was a pesky defender though.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#618 » by No-Man » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:17 pm

ManualRam wrote:i haven't seen much of kwe play. his aau team is an unaffiliated one, so i haven't gotten to see him in that setting. i have seen him on his HS team, but i only checked it out to watch dennis smith. kwe's a thin 6'2 wing and as you mentioned, he's old for his class. idk, skill-wise i didnt see anything noteworthy out of him. i thought he was a pesky defender though.

thin 6-2 pesky defender, that hair, pretty good athlete and flashy, keeps looking more and more live Bev.

I hope he goes to Duke, maybe K can turn him into a respectable point.

He is "old" for his class I mean, he will enter college next fall as a 18 year old, he is from November, is not that unusual, or he is from 2016 class? I thought he was from 2015, maybe he reclassifies if not.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#619 » by ManualRam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Fischella wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i haven't seen much of kwe play. his aau team is an unaffiliated one, so i haven't gotten to see him in that setting. i have seen him on his HS team, but i only checked it out to watch dennis smith. kwe's a thin 6'2 wing and as you mentioned, he's old for his class. idk, skill-wise i didnt see anything noteworthy out of him. i thought he was a pesky defender though.

thin 6-2 pesky defender, that hair, pretty good athlete and flashy, keeps looking more and more live Bev.

I hope he goes to Duke, maybe K can turn him into a respectable point.

He is "old" for his class I mean, he will enter college next fall as a 18 year old, he is from November, is not that unusual, or he is from 2016 class? I thought he was from 2015, maybe he reclassifies if not.

i saw beverley in HS first hand and he was a scoring machine, dropping something like 35 a night in the chicago public league. i don't think kwe has that type of ability. kwe might be more athletic, but beverley was tenacious, lanky and rangy for his size.
there are way better PGs in the 2016 for a blueblood like duke to target instead of targeting a SG and hopefully being able to convert him. the only reason why i think they should go hard after him is his connection with dennis smith.

and yes, he's 2016.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#620 » by Marcus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:45 pm

Kwe's got "just another guy that dunks" written all over him to me. all the other leapers and guard freaks in that class (Woods, Smith Jr, Monk) are better than he is at pretty much everything it would seem.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft