Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Sviatoslav Mikhailiuk to join Nike Hoop Summit Team 

Post#61 » by ManualRam » Wed May 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Marcus wrote:
ManualRam wrote:he's more athletic than stauskas.

you think the Manu comparisons are unfair this soon?

i think he's closer to that athleticism and body type than he is to stauskas. manu's longer though. svi has short arms which could be an issue down the line.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#62 » by reanimator » Wed May 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Manu was also more agile, better body control and a MUCH better vertical leaper who could hang in the air. Like a few tiers higher.

Sviat has more athleticism but Stauskas is definitely in another tier of shooter. Sviat's passing is what excites me the most.
Thespianoid
RealGM
And1: 78,794

Post#63 » by Thespianoid » Wed May 21, 2014 6:45 pm

For some reason Bill Self said he was 6'8". I don't think he's 6'8, unless he's grown two inches in the past months. I suppose it's possible given he's still 16.
Clementine9 wrote:Missed shots are unfortunate, but it's the trends throughout the game that matter.

Choker wrote:The swing in how Raptors fans have supported and turned on Powell is a good case study of human behavior.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#64 » by ManualRam » Wed May 21, 2014 6:45 pm

idk about much better leaper. svi can sky. i'll give younger manu the better footwork/agility though, but that kinda footwork is just as much skill as athleticism.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#65 » by Talent Chaser » Wed May 21, 2014 6:47 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/469180942889000960[/tweet]
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#66 » by EricAnderson » Wed May 21, 2014 7:20 pm

reanimator wrote:Have you guys seen footage of Manu w/ La Roja or in Italy? No way in hell is he that type of athlete.

Unless those videos are fake the kid seems pretty godamn athletic for a 16 year old..I cant compare it to Manu at the same age but who cares the point is the kids athletic ability seems impressive
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#67 » by Novocaine » Wed May 21, 2014 8:18 pm

reanimator wrote:Have you guys seen footage of Manu w/ La Roja or in Italy? No way in hell is he that type of athlete.

Of course not, Manu never played for La Roja. His NT is La Albiceleste. Somehow I doubt you ever saw Manu back then, if you get this wrong.

I have memories of Manu playing for Viola and I remember very well his first season with Kinder. Yeah, he was more athletic than this kid. Of course, he was also a grown man, 6/7 years older. The comparison is absurd.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#68 » by reanimator » Wed May 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Impacien wrote:

Of course not, Manu never played for La Roja. His NT is the Blanquiceleste. Somehow I doubt you ever saw Manu back then.

The keyword is footage so of course I did not see live but the bit on YT shows a gap.

Sviat is 17 in June and Manu was 18/19 in the clips I saw. Not a 6-7 year gap.
Novocaine
Veteran

Post#69 » by Novocaine » Wed May 21, 2014 8:27 pm

reanimator wrote:
Impacien wrote:

Of course not, Manu never played for La Roja. His NT is the Blanquiceleste. Somehow I doubt you ever saw Manu back then.

The keyword is footage so of course I did not see live but the bit on YT shows a gap.

If you show us footage of Manu playing for La Roja, I'll buy you season tickets.

Manu with Kinder Bologna was 7 years older than this kid. The comparison is absurd. I haven't see anything from Sviat that precludes him from having prime Ginobili's overall level of athleticism once he grows up. If he'll have the same degree of eye-hand coordination, talent and instincts, that's more dubious. But it's simply way too early to tell.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#70 » by reanimator » Wed May 21, 2014 8:33 pm

Impacien wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Impacien wrote:

If you show us footage of Manu playing for La Roja, I'll buy you season tickets.

Manu with Kinder Bologna was 7 years older than this kid. The comparison is absurd. I haven't see anything from Sviat that precludes him from having prime Ginobili's overall level of athleticism once he grows up. If he'll have the same degree of eye-hand coordination, talent and instincts, that's more dubious. But it's simply way too early to tell.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQUmb9ioc90[/youtube]
And he was 19 w/ Estudiantes de Bahía Blanca, correct?
Novocaine
Veteran

Post#71 » by Novocaine » Wed May 21, 2014 8:35 pm

reanimator wrote:

Do you know that saying about digging a hole? You saw footage of Manu from 95/96? From his days in Andino Sport Club in an Argentinian league? Even before he was playing for his dad's club? Even before he played for the national team?

It's funny how your claims changed; you started by asking if people had seen him playing in Italy and for La Roja(??). Did you misspeak or something?
Novocaine
Veteran

Post#72 » by Novocaine » Wed May 21, 2014 8:38 pm

reanimator wrote:
Impacien wrote:
reanimator wrote:

That's not La Roja, that's Andino, a club from a city called la Rioja. How exactly Manu looks more athletic there? Yeah, and Bahia Blanca is not in Italy, it's on a whole other continent.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#73 » by reanimator » Wed May 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Impacien wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Impacien wrote:

That's not La Roja, that's Andino, a club from a city called la Rioja. Yeah, and Bahia Blanca is not in Italy, it's on a whole other continent.

Who said Bahia Blanca was in Italy? :banghead:

The title is La Roja, Andino.... whatver. You can be a prick for semantics but my point still stands.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#74 » by reanimator » Wed May 21, 2014 8:42 pm

Impacien wrote:
reanimator wrote:

You saw footage of Manu from 95/96?

I just linked you said footage and the announcer clearly says the year is 1995.
Novocaine
Veteran

Post#75 » by Novocaine » Wed May 21, 2014 8:47 pm

reanimator wrote:
Impacien wrote:
reanimator wrote:

That's not La Roja, that's Andino, a club from a city called la Rioja. Yeah, and Bahia Blanca is not in Italy, it's on a whole other continent.

The title is La Roja, Andino.... whatver. You can be a prick for semantics but my point still stands.

No, it's not La Roja, it's Rioja. La Roja means "the red" and it's a nickname for sports teams, most notably the Spanish national teams, Rioja is a proper noun, like America or Michael.

And what is your point that stands? Your initial point was that Manu in Italy/NT was more athletic. Sure, but he was much older. That point doesn't have anything to stand on.

Your revised point is about Manu playing in Argentine, still older than Sviat is now - but that point doesn't stand because if anything, Sviat looks like the most athletic one.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#76 » by reanimator » Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Impacien wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Impacien wrote:

No, it's not La Roja, it's Rioja. La Roja means "the red" and it's a nickname for sports teams, most notably the Spanish national teams, Rioja is a proper noun, like America or Michael.

And what is your point that stands? Your initial point was that Manu in Italy/NT was more athletic. Sure, but he was much older. That point doesn't have anything to stand on.

Your revised point is about Manu playing in Argentine, still older than Sviat is now - but that point doesn't stand because if anything, Sviat looks like the more athletic of both.

You are crying about the name of a team, when anyone who isn't a prick or elitist would know what is meant.

And I mentioned Argentina before you quoted me, hence the La Rioja reference and mentioning 18/19 as his age. I'm glad you have an opinion but Manu looked more agile, had better body control and arguably was a better leaper.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Re: Sviatoslav Mikhailiuk 

Post#77 » by EMG518 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:12 pm

I cant wait for basketball next year, both college and the nba. Great to hear he is going to Kansas.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#78 » by Marcus » Wed May 21, 2014 10:25 pm

EMG518 wrote:I cant wait for basketball next year, both college and the nba. Great to hear he is going to Kansas.

sooo looking forward to both NBA and College next year with the talent in the 2014 classes for both levels. wont have the star power or be as deep but i think the 2015 draft class has some very good potential in there if the expected people depart.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#79 » by Apollo64 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Kinda nuts that he's going to play in college at his age. I don't expect him to play much in his first season though.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 9,523

Post#80 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Why commit to Kansas? Bill Self never gets top level performance out of these guys. They almost all have to come to the NBA and re-learn how to play because he doesn't teach them anything. Thomas Robinson being the most glaring example.

Hope this kid plays and actually learns something there.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."

Return to NBA Draft