Josh Huestis vs Melvin Ejim

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Josh Huestis vs Melvin Ejim 

Post#1 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Both are senior Sf projected to be drafted in the second round. Who would you prefer as a second round pick?

One is offensive minded and the other is defensive ready but which skillset can contribute in the nba?
Ska needs to make a comeback.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Josh Huestis vs Melvin Ejim 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:17 pm

i like huestis' ability to defend SFs more than i like ejim's ability to score at the next level.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#3 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:46 pm

ManualRam wrote:i like huestis' ability to defend SFs more than i like ejim's ability to score at the next level.

Who would you draft for your team? Chicago has defenders, could you use Ejim's scoring to counteract Butler's defense? They're both slightly undersized.

I like Huestis' defense as well, he has a good IQ and he seems to be pretty long. But Ejim is one of the best scoring SF in this draft. Maybe on Charlotte he can be useful - a scoring wing.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#4 » by BfB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Huestis is an absolute beast defender and can hit the wide open jumper. He has a mechanical-but-sound shot technically speaking, but with a ton of reps he can likely smooth it out. In time i think he is a prototypical 3D small forward with a decent corner 3 and elbow shot on kickouts.

Keep an eye on Neils Giffey as well. He's better than you know.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:38 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i like huestis' ability to defend SFs more than i like ejim's ability to score at the next level.

Who would you draft for your team? Chicago has defenders, could you use Ejim's scoring to counteract Butler's defense? They're both slightly undersized.

i would hope that the bulls aren't in a position to have a guy like ejim or huestis help complement the starters.

i'd rather have huestis though. i don't know how much of ejim's scoring game will translate. i think he benefited a lot by being matched up with college 4's. i think huestis' defensive ability will be able to translate and i also think he'd be able to match up with some 4's given his length and spring. the hope is that mirotic would be able to come over, i'd like huestis' potential to take on the forward matchup off the bench that mirotic cannot.

both to me are borderline draft-able and i actually don't have either in my top 60 atm.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#6 » by Kevin Willis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:51 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:

i would hope that the bulls aren't in a position to have a have a guy like ejim or huestis help complement the starters.

i'd rather have huestis though. i don't know how much of ejim's scoring game will translate. i think he benefited a lot by being matched up with college 4's. i think huestis' defensive ability will be able to translate and i also think he'd be able to match up with some 4's given his length and spring. the hope is that mirotic would be able to come over, i'd like huestis' potential to take on the forward matchup off the bench that mirotic cannot.

both to me are borderline draft-able and i actually don't have either in my top 60 atm.

Do you have a link to your top 60?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:32 am

Kevin Willis wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:

i would hope that the bulls aren't in a position to have a have a guy like ejim or huestis help complement the starters.

Do you have a link to your top 60?

no but i'll probably transfer it soon to one of the sites once we get the complete list of who's in.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#8 » by Flight33 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:48 pm

I'd slightly lean towards Ejim.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM Forums mobile app
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#9 » by Novocaine » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:38 pm

BfB wrote:Huestis is an absolute beast defender and can hit the wide open jumper. He has a mechanical-but-sound shot technically speaking, but with a ton of reps he can likely smooth it out. In time i think he is a prototypical 3D small forward with a decent corner 3 and elbow shot on kickouts.

Keep an eye on Neils Giffey as well. He's better than you know.

Agreed on both counts. Huestis and Giffey are two interesting 2nd rounders with quality role-player potential.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:27 pm

word is that he's worked out for just about every team that he can and is creeping up boards.
why waste a late first on a kj mcdaniels when you can get a huestis maybe somewhere in the 40s?
i've had my final big board established for a week or so, but this guy is my only late mover.
this jumper HAS to translate, right? his mechanics are beautiful. he has no wasted motion.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IrfXOEHZcw[/youtube]
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft