Who has the better career? Payne or McGary?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Who has the better career? Payne or McGary? 

Post#1 » by Old Man Game » Wed May 14, 2014 12:37 am

Payne looks closer to a finished product. A guy who might step right in and contribute as a role player in the Pick and pop/pick and role right away on the right team. McGary looks to have the physicality necessary to excel banging on the inside in the league and bbiq to also be a valuable role player/starter who could facilitate from the high post or, similar to Nick Collison, in the two man game. Both have possible health red flags. Payne with the foot issue and the lung condition. McGary with the back. Who'd you rather have?
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,060

Re: Who has the better career? Payne or McGary? 

Post#2 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 14, 2014 2:09 am

Payne. Really athletic for a big guy and a surprising touch. I think he and McGary are both underrated as prospects. I'd do flips if we could get Mitch with our second.
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#3 » by SBM » Wed May 14, 2014 3:09 am

McGary. Don't see much in Payne he is Maurice Speights at best. Hopefully the Hawks get another 1st to get McGary or he falls to 43.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#4 » by Notanoob » Wed May 14, 2014 3:27 am

If Payne pans out, he's a huge asset. How many PFs in the league can shoot 3's, but are actually athletic and can guard people? Are there really any that match that description? I feel like he should be getting more love being a shot-blocking 4 who shoots 42% from beyond the ark.

But on the other hand, I love McGary. His effort, the way he runs the fast break, the monster picks he sets...small sample size issues abound with him, but he looked incredible when he finally stopped fouling and got himself playing time.

I feel like Payne is less likely to have injuries derail his development and career, so I'd go with him, but I like both of them. I might be being a huge homer though.
need4detroit
Analyst
And1: 769

Post#5 » by need4detroit » Wed May 14, 2014 5:19 am

Payne.
Detroit Sports Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/need4detroit
bkseven wrote:He's between average and above average.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#6 » by LloydFree » Wed May 14, 2014 9:58 am

Payne. One of the most underrated players in this draft. If he is drafted around #20, like the mocks currently have it, he'll have a better career than about 10 guys drafted ahead of him.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#7 » by greenandgold » Wed May 14, 2014 5:40 pm

McGary, of course. Payne is WAY too old to be a legitimate prospect. Do you realize Payne is 6 months older than Derrick Favors, who has been the league for 4 years?
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,936

Post#8 » by tmorgan » Wed May 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Do you realize Payne is only 15 months older than McGary, and yet has a far more refined game?

It's close, and I'm a UM/McGary guy, but I'd rather have Payne. His floor is very high, and while his upside isn't quite what McGary's is, he's a much smaller risk.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#9 » by ManualRam » Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 pm

i think mcgary will be able to do more and have a more positive impact on a team than payne, health willing of course. payne could be a stretch, but even if his shooting comes with concerns (slow shot set up, low release). if his shooting does translate, i don't see much else from his offensive game translating. he doesn't have the footwork or awareness to post. he doesn't have the capability of consistently making sound decisions to be anything other than someone who either shoots or finishes. i would not trust his decision-making ability.

payne's lack of physical strength is a concern, as are his iq and coordination given his age. also, while a good athlete, that didn't translate to him being a good defender because of his lack of awareness, iq and strength. watch him move laterally and he looks like he's all legs, galloping, then stepping into a bucket when he plants to change directions. his coordination is strange.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#10 » by Talent Chaser » Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Payne is the type of player that will be a matchup nightmare the minute he steps on an NBA court. He can stretch the floor, has a decent post up game, and can blow by any defender that plays him too close on the perimeter. His 1st step and handle is elite for a 6'10" player. Oh yeah, and he was suffering from Mono his entire senior season and just found out this week. This hampered his conditioning BIG time. The only problem is his bball IQ, but imagine if he fell to the Bulls. Thibs could make him into an all-star.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#11 » by ManualRam » Wed May 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:Payne is the type of player that will be a matchup nightmare the minute he steps on an NBA court. He can stretch the floor, has a decent post up game, and can blow by any defender that plays him too close on the perimeter. His 1st step and handle is elite for a 6'10" player. Oh yeah, and he was suffering from Mono his entire senior season and just found out this week. This hampered his conditioning BIG time.

payne with the 1st step and handle? his strange coordination comes into play there too. i don't think he'd do too well attacking close outs. he's liable to lose the ball if has to put it on the deck more than once and he's an offensive foul waiting to happen.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#12 » by Talent Chaser » Wed May 14, 2014 7:55 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Talent Chaser wrote:Payne is the type of player that will be a matchup nightmare the minute he steps on an NBA court. He can stretch the floor, has a decent post up game, and can blow by any defender that plays him too close on the perimeter. His 1st step and handle is elite for a 6'10" player. Oh yeah, and he was suffering from Mono his entire senior season and just found out this week. This hampered his conditioning BIG time.

payne with the 1st step and handle? his strange coordination comes into play there too. i don't think he'd do too well attacking close outs. he's liable to lose the ball if has to put it on the deck more than once and he's an offensive foul waiting to happen.

If you noticed watching him shot fake on the perimeter this season he'd always cover a ton of ground when attacking the basket; He looked comfortable putting the ball on the floor as well.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Wed May 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

If you noticed watching him shot fake on the perimeter this season he'd always cover a ton of ground when attacking the basket and looked comfortable putting the ball on the floor.

long first step? sure. he moves like he's all legs (high center of gravity), which is probably why he lacks strength in the post, has clunky footwork and moves the way he does laterally. but does he have a quick first step? i don't see that.

i see maybe a stretch with some pick and pop ability, but i wouldn't trust him with the ball in his hands if he has to dribble more than once. i could see him being something like a patrick patterson.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#14 » by SBM » Wed May 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Payne is becoming seriously overrated on such sites. The guys efficiency numbers have never been impressive.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Old Man Game » Thu May 15, 2014 12:53 am

greenandgold wrote:McGary, of course. Payne is WAY too old to be a legitimate prospect. Do you realize Payne is 6 months older than Derrick Favors, who has been the league for 4 years?

To what extent, if any, does the age impact how we should evaluate a prospect when we're looking at probable role players? I understand the argument is that he doesn't have as much upside but when looking at a player like Payne who might find a niche as a stretch 4, pick and pop floor spacer, do we really care about the upside?
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#16 » by Warspite » Thu May 15, 2014 6:45 am

Old Man Game wrote:
greenandgold wrote:McGary, of course. Payne is WAY too old to be a legitimate prospect. Do you realize Payne is 6 months older than Derrick Favors, who has been the league for 4 years?

To what extent, if any, does the age impact how we should evaluate a prospect when we're looking at probable role players? I understand the argument is that he doesn't have as much upside but when looking at a player like Payne who might find a niche as a stretch 4, pick and pop floor spacer, do we really care about the upside?

I concur. Drafting for upside is essentially drafting for the next GM. He either will show that upside after you are fired or after you trade him.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#17 » by EMG518 » Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 am

Mcgary for me not factoring in health. Not close either.
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#18 » by greenandgold » Thu May 15, 2014 11:37 am

tmorgan wrote:Do you realize Payne is only 15 months older than McGary, and yet has a far more refined game?

It's close, and I'm a UM/McGary guy, but I'd rather have Payne. His floor is very high, and while his upside isn't quite what McGary's is, he's a much smaller risk.

Nonsense. 15 months difference in age is huge.

15 months ago Adreian Payne wasn't an NBA prospect. Not even a second rounder. At ages 20 and 21 he was vastly outperformed by the 20 and 21 year old McGary.

Payne had a good senior year at age 23. That's expected. When you're a 23 year old man you should beat up on 18 and 19 year old freshmen. It means little for his NBA prospects.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#19 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat May 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:but imagine if he fell to the Bulls. Thibs could make him into an all-star.

All-Star is overstating it, but I do think the Bulls at #19 would be the perfect situation for him. Put him on the Bulls or Thunder and he'll fill a nice niche off the bench immediately.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Old Man Game » Sun May 18, 2014 2:25 am

Really wish he could have done the athletic testing. I'd just like to know what his no step max reach is. Although it's probably better for the teams drafting where he's currently most often mocked (18-21 range) that he didn't.

Return to NBA Draft