Anthony Davis vs Joel Embiid?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

qianlong
Starter
And1: 258

Re: Anthony Davis vs Joel Embiid? 

Post#21 » by qianlong » Sun May 25, 2014 8:49 am

Embiid has a higher ceiling due to size and being less raw than expected and improving really fast. AD was the better prospect he was simply dominant. Great size, athleticism, skills and an inderstanding of the game that only greats have and embiid only hints at developing.

Inviato da mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Ball don't lie
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#22 » by ATTL » Sun May 25, 2014 3:44 pm

Davis led his team to a national championship being the focal point of the offense and defensive anchor. He had no health issues and was able to stay on the court, his stats weren't reliant on extrapolating over a period of minutes.
His only negatives were his eyebrow and teeth.
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#23 » by nicnac215 » Sun May 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Embiid. He is everything you would want your nba2k center to be like
TGB
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#24 » by TGB » Sun May 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Embiid has the potential to be someone you can run your offense through in a way you really can't with Davis. He's capable of being the best player on both sides of the ball for a championship quality team. But his durability concerns are much more serious than Davis', he has some significant flaws that Davis doesn't (turnovers, fouls, energy), and he isn't as malleable/adaptable as Davis is.

Coin flip. Embiid has more upside.
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#25 » by Tave » Sun May 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Davis all the way: by far the better defender, more productive on offense, more versatile, and Davis is a freak athlete whereas Embiid is merely "agile" for his size.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,679

Post#26 » by KembaWalker » Sun May 25, 2014 4:38 pm

I guess I'm the only one that doesn't buy the Davis defensive hype. He isn't very good on defense outside of box score blocks/steals. I think Embiid has potential to be a much better defensive player than Davis. But I think Davis has much better offensive potential with his fluidity. I guess I'm opposite of everyone else. I don't see Embiid ever being the 21ppg player that Davis is right now
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#27 » by Dark Faze » Sun May 25, 2014 5:33 pm

why is this even a question

Davis has a near 27 PER as a second year player and hasn't even come close to filling out his frame which absolutely engulfs Embiids.

Davis is also one of the most composed players I've ever seen play the sport. He doesn't get rattled. Embiid is the exact opposite. He spent tons of games on the bench because he was emotionally fouling scrubs in college all day. He's as close to Cousins emotionally as Davis is close to Duncan on that end.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#28 » by Marcus » Sun May 25, 2014 6:49 pm

Embiid has the potential to be top three at his position in a few years. The Brow has the potential to be a top three player in the league around the same time span.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#29 » by moss_is_1 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:34 pm

Davis has way more potential. The only thing that Embiid has over him is bulk really,IMO.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#30 » by TheSuzerain » Sun May 25, 2014 9:02 pm

ATTL wrote:Davis led his team to a national championship being the focal point of the offense and defensive anchor. He had no health issues and was able to stay on the court, his stats weren't reliant on extrapolating over a period of minutes.
His only negatives were his eyebrow and teeth.

He was not the focal point of that offense. No way.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Sun May 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Davis is already a great NBA player and was a better and far more accomplished prospect with a good back coming out of college. There's no comparison. And I like Embiid.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#32 » by B-Ball Freak » Sun May 25, 2014 9:29 pm

It's pretty close but I'll take Embiid (no back problems).
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#33 » by thamadkant » Sun May 25, 2014 10:00 pm

A lot has been watching Too many Joel Embiid highlights...

I like him and he has a chance to be a star player. But I don't even think he is a better prospect than what Greg Oden was... Oden was considered the next great center, he dominated.

Embiid didn't dominate college but many could see that he had the potential to dominate had he stayed for next season.

But...
Anthony Davis DOMINATED his 1 year in college... Forget potential, the guy applied his talent and showed his talent... He has potential to be best big man since Duncan and Garnett. Embiid needs to click on all cylinders in his development, but Davis just need time...Davis is already living his potential.

Embiid is basically a question mark and Davis is already a beast.

Embiid I think has the physical tools, size to be great, but I still need to see if he can dominate consistently... Currently it's just theory with him.. We need to see it applied consistently.

Embiid will be a starting level center within 10-15 games of his first season and he will have wow moments. If he lives up to his potential he gets his name put next to Davis.

Davis has guard like ball handling skills and skills in general since he grew up playing as a guard. That's one of his greatest traits... He is actually very very skilled with the ball.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Sun May 25, 2014 11:23 pm

1UPZ wrote:A lot has been watching Too many Joel Embiid highlights...

I like him and he has a chance to be a star player. But I don't even think he is a better prospect than what Greg Oden was... Oden was considered the next great center, he dominated.

Embiid didn't dominate college but many could see that he had the potential to dominate had he stayed for next season.

But...
Anthony Davis DOMINATED his 1 year in college... Forget potential, the guy applied his talent and showed his talent... He has potential to be best big man since Duncan and Garnett. Embiid needs to click on all cylinders in his development, but Davis just need time...Davis is already living his potential.

Embiid is basically a question mark and Davis is already a beast.

Embiid I think has the physical tools, size to be great, but I still need to see if he can dominate consistently... Currently it's just theory with him.. We need to see it applied consistently.

Embiid will be a starting level center within 10-15 games of his first season and he will have wow moments. If he lives up to his potential he gets his name put next to Davis.

Davis has guard like ball handling skills and skills in general since he grew up playing as a guard. That's one of his greatest traits... He is actually very very skilled with the ball.

Yup, people still aren't getting it. It's not a knock on Embiid; it's that Davis is a basketball freak. He turned 21 2 months ago, and he's coming off an NBA season with a 26.5 PER and 58% TS%. That's greatness. Barring serious injuries, he's going to be an all-time great.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#35 » by Big_C_KU » Mon May 26, 2014 12:09 am

Definitely Davis. Doesn't say anything bad about Embiid. Davis was just that great of a prospect. I too thought it might take him a few years before he was 20 and 10 but felt he'd eventually be that guy.

One thing Davis and Embiid do have in common is that strong potential to be the best at the position in 5-7 years.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#36 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon May 26, 2014 12:11 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/470707815246344193[/tweet]
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 793

Post#37 » by 90sAllDecade » Mon May 26, 2014 1:22 am

This is a great question and after going deep into scouting draft prospects I think I confidently have to go with Davis right now.

He has a better motor and looks faster and more explosive. He also could be a bigger competitor and mentally tougher right now as well.

But the thing is, Embiid has only played this game for three years and is learning just as fast. I may be wrong, but I think Davis has played basketball most of his life.

Davis is and has always been a much more polished product, even as a freshman. I think Embiid who is bigger than Davis actually has just as high and maybe a higher ceiling, but that is a lot of "Ifs".

So I still have to go with Davis for now until I see Embiid as a rookie.
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#38 » by dballislife » Mon May 26, 2014 1:38 am

of course its davis now cus of his past 2 seasons, but if its davis after his freshman year and embiid after his freshman both coming into the league.....i would say embiid would be my pick and be the better player
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#39 » by ManualRam » Mon May 26, 2014 1:39 am

KembaWalker wrote:I guess I'm the only one that doesn't buy the Davis defensive hype. He isn't very good on defense outside of box score blocks/steals. I think Embiid has potential to be a much better defensive player than Davis. But I think Davis has much better offensive potential with his fluidity. I guess I'm opposite of everyone else. I don't see Embiid ever being the 21ppg player that Davis is right now

he still has a ways to go in terms of bulk, but just look at the amount of ground he can cover. laterally he moves like a wing, has very good length and quick leaping ability. his post defense might always lag behind because of his lack of strength but there aren't many bigs who will be able to defend in space or switch out on perimeter players like he can. his help defense on the interior is already very good.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,731

Post#40 » by DowJones » Mon May 26, 2014 1:59 am

Embiid will be better on defense. Davis was a great college defender because he could block shots so easily. You can't do that as much in the NBA. Embiid has the height and length to do that but also protect the rim much more efficiently and guard bigs 1 on 1.

This is tough. Davis is so good but Embiid literally has everything you want. Coming out of college I go with Embiid because he is just bigger than AD. I think Embiid has size, length, and athleticism to impact the game more on defense.

Return to NBA Draft