Where Joel Embiid will fall to

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

maoriboy
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Re: Where Joel Embiid will fall to 

Post#21 » by maoriboy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:37 am

Hogified05 wrote:If he drops to 4, I hope my Magic take him. Dude has the potential to be the best center of his generation. I think it's worth the risk, especially since we do have another lottery pick. I'd like to see if we do pick him to flip Vuc and the 12th to move up. IMO there is no need for Vuc if you draft Embiid, Vuc is no slouch hell he might be close to top 5 centers in the league, but Embiid is Vuc on steroids. The 12th and Vuc has to be mighty attractive to anyone in the 5-8 range.

But I don't know. Literally I have no clue how this draft is going shake up. This is going be one entertaining draft and I am just happy the Magic will probably be big players.

Your right he would look good playing for the Lakers :lol:
Baller2014
Banned User
And1: 519

Post#22 » by Baller2014 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:46 am

I don't think there's a lot of patience for waiting on a risky Embiid in Orlando or Utah, and Philly would be gambling a lot given they already did this same play with Nerlens. I think if Embiid goes top 5 it's to a different team in a trade. Boston could certainly take him at #6, and the Lakers would love him at #7.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,268

Post#23 » by babyjax13 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:38 am

The Lakers are too calculated to leverage their entire future just to give Kobe another token playoff appearance. If Embiid works out, he's a cornerstone type prospect. I can't imagine that he falls past 7.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#24 » by Skin » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:06 am

No lower than 4 to Orlando.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#25 » by campybatman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:16 am

In my opinion, it'll come down to either Boston or the Lakers. That is, I believe Orlando will decide on either Vonleh or Smart. If Boston passes on Embiid, then it's due to a team passing on Vonleh.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#26 » by bebopdeluxe » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Posted in a different thread...could be a view into how Hinkie looks at things...

http://asubstituteforwar.wordpress.com/ ... w-wiggins/

If this is true, then the injury to Embiid - which will allow the Sixers to just sit at 3 as opposed to having to trade Thad or 10 - is manna from heaven. I am sure that Hinkie will do his due diligence to see if there are any avenues to turning 10 into a high enough pick to pick Exum at 3 and come back for Embiid (perhaps a trade with UTA?), but at the end of the day, if CLE takes Parker and MIL takes Wiggins, Hinkie may not be able to get the card with Embiid's name to Silver fast enough.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#27 » by bebopdeluxe » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Baller2014 wrote:I don't think there's a lot of patience for waiting on a risky Embiid in Orlando or Utah, and Philly would be gambling a lot given they already did this same play with Nerlens. I think if Embiid goes top 5 it's to a different team in a trade. Boston could certainly take him at #6, and the Lakers would love him at #7.

Yeah...Philly did the same play with Noel, and it worked out pretty well, IMO. If anything, the experience last summer - trading Jrue for Noel and a top-10 pick - would seem to suggest that Philly is the PERFECT team to take Embiid...especially now that they don't have to trade 3 and 10 to get to 1 to take him.

It is interesting to me that the floor of where people think Embiid will land seems to be going up with each passing day. By Thursday night, i think there is a chance that CLE and/or MIL will be back in play.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#28 » by Baller2014 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:43 pm

There's no evidence the Nerlens trade has worked out, or that Nerlens can even play. But if Philly is willing to take Embiid, I wish them luck. It'll be good news for the Magic and Jazz whose fortunes I'm far more interested in (and who I think would be happier if Embiid was off the board when they selected).
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#29 » by bebopdeluxe » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:06 pm

Baller2014 wrote:There's no evidence the Nerlens trade has worked out, or that Nerlens can even play. But if Philly is willing to take Embiid, I wish them luck. It'll be good news for the Magic and Jazz whose fortunes I'm far more interested in (and who I think would be happier if Embiid was off the board when they selected).

Let me ask you a question - if you polled all 30 GM's in the league TODAY and asked them whether they would make the trade that Hinkie made last summer - getting Noel and the #10 pick in this draft for Jrue Holiday - with the understanding that neither of the assets that the Sixers received in that trade have played yet in the league, how many of those GM's would make that deal?

I would set the over/under at 80%. What do you think?
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#30 » by EricAnderson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:09 pm

Baller2014 wrote:I don't think there's a lot of patience for waiting on a risky Embiid in Orlando or Utah, and Philly would be gambling a lot given they already did this same play with Nerlens. I think if Embiid goes top 5 it's to a different team in a trade. Boston could certainly take him at #6, and the Lakers would love him at #7.

Why wouldnt there be patience from the jazz or magic? Neither of them are contending anytime soon and neither of them has any chance to land a superstar player unless its via the draft so why not take that chance?

Plus you talk about they dotn have the patience for Embiid dont you think theyre gonna have to have patience for wheover they draft? Vonleh Gordon or whoever those teams draft there gonna need to be patient nobody is gonna make them much better overnight..
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#31 » by jmnvcavs » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:41 pm

I sense an Andre Drummond situation all over again. He will fully recover from injury and a lot of teams are going to be disappointing they passed on him. If he falls out of the top 5 these teams are not very smart.
dballislife
RealGM
And1: 4,913

Post#32 » by dballislife » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:53 pm

embiid will go 3 to 5, those are his spots, he wont go any other he wont go past utah, book it
What is basketball.....basketball is life!
rpa
RealGM
And1: 7,453

Post#33 » by rpa » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:58 pm

He's gone by #3. Despite the worrisome injury history his EV is still higher than any of the guys in the 4-8 range and, let's not forget, he's a big man.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#34 » by PhilasFinest » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:20 pm

I don't think he gets out of the top 3 like projected.

Injury situation sucks, but his upside is just so much higher than most of the pieces likely available.

Considering Philly isn't being pressured to win now, I think they would take him and 3....and try to make a move to trade up from 10.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#35 » by Baller2014 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:21 pm

I think plenty of GM's would take Jrue. The Pelicans certainly would have. They made a reasonable bet, trading the #6 in a garbage draft and a pick that could easily have been closer to #17 than #10 (if not for a tonne of injuries). I think that was a reasonable valuation (and Hinkie sure didn't know the pick was going to be #10, he doesn't have the lotto numbers, he was gambling too. If the Pelicans had been healthy clearly the pick would have been much worse for you). So far neither pick has turned into anything with proven value. As it stands I think the trade holds up well for the Pelicans at least.

Utah kind of sold their rebuild as a 1 year thing. It's actually the first time the Jazz have tanked... ever. I'm amazed Dennis Lindsay (a former Spur, who is their new GM) was able to talk them into it at all. The whole justification for it was to get a transcendent star, that's why the sudden push to trade up to 1. Embiid's injury risk, plus him playing the same position as Favors and Kanter (who looked awful on the court at the same time) makes him a tough sell.

The Magic have Vuc. It was already an open question if Embiid would fit with Vuc, and the Magic already probably had their prospect nailed down pretty much. I think they'd rather take the guy they had already planned to (be it Exum or Vonleh), and go with that, rather than have to risk Embiid.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#36 » by sipclip » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Baller2014 wrote:Utah kind of sold their rebuild as a 1 year thing. It's actually the first time the Jazz have tanked... ever. I'm amazed Dennis Lindsay (a former Spur, who is their new GM) was able to talk them into it at all. The whole justification for it was to get a transcendent star, that's why the sudden push to trade up to 1. Embiid's injury risk, plus him playing the same position as Favors and Kanter (who looked awful on the court at the same time) makes him a tough sell.

Utah didn't sell their rebuild as a 1 year thing. In fact Lindsey did the complete opposite. He let everyone know that they are going to be patient and rebuild the right way.
Baller2014
Banned User

Post#37 » by Baller2014 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:24 pm

DL says things like that, but the subtle message coming from ownership to the community has been very different, and the media and fan reception of the tanking this year has very much been in that vein. This is the fanbase who cried wolf when the Warriors dared to tank (screwing them out of a good lotto pick in 2012) and proclaimed loudly that real winners don't tank. I think there is very little patience for a long term rebuild in Utah. This year was sold as "there's a super deep draft, and hey, did you notice one of the stars is a Mormon! Just give us this year guys, please?"
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,724

Post#38 » by Mik317 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:27 pm

People again miss the point of the Jrue trade. Noel and whoever the **** we get with 10 are basically extra. Trading Jrue allowed the team gain a clean slate of sorts and finally start over..something they have not done since they drafted Iverson. If Noel never becomes great or the 10th pick isn't even Jrue good, is meaningless at this point. Now mind you the lottery luck wasn't completely on our side but I think Hinkie and most of us knew that it was just a chance and in the end, we'd do it everytime.

People seem quick to point and judge the Sixers (mainly because some fans were quick to wave their dicks around and gloat about silly ****) but they don't seem to grasp that there weren't many other options in front of Hinkie. Keep Jrue and stay mediocre or make rash moves that make you "better" in the short term but never a contender? Or blow it up and hope for a special talent. Neither method is a lock to work out...it always will take luck...but I think the Jrue trade was a no brainer for the franchise longterm. And I really liked Jrue as a player for us.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,409

Post#39 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:40 am

I'll make it simple.

Pelicans made a bet. They were trading for an all-star PG who should be the missing piece to their play-off run.

Sixers made a bet. Jrue's all-star stint was a fluke. They were betting that Noel will recover from his ACL (maybe the Pels' were surprised that Pels' slipped to them) and that Pelicans will miss the play-offs.

Who won?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,409

Post#40 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:43 am

Now with Embiid.

I still think he lands with the Sixers like I posted days ago. Sixers tanked for a franchise player. Potentially, there's three guys who can fit the bill. Wiggins, Jabari and Embiid.

With no potential franchise player available and with another lotto pick this year and another lotto pick next year, Sixers have no reason to not gamble on Embiid.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to NBA Draft