Re: Calling it - Embust 

Post#22 » by Marcus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:41 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Marcus wrote:this thread brokedown really quick

Yeah, just like Embiid. Ba-da-bing!!

well played sir. WELL PLAYED
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#23 » by wetsthebed » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:49 pm

CunningLinguist wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:I didn't like him before his injury, thought he might be a decent role player, nothing more. But with all the injuries he's had, I am pretty sure he is going to be a bust. The next Oden,

What can you possibly not like about a healthy Embiid? He has size, athleticism, great hands, footwork, offensive skill, shotblocking, passing and high basketball IQ. I guess you want your center to be able to hit three pointers too.

He's never actually seen him play.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,499

Post#24 » by GoBobs » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:18 pm

Notanoob wrote:
GoBobs wrote:He is a soft player, doesn't like to bang in the post, doesn't dunk on people almost always tries to finish with a finesse layup. He would get pushed around by NBA big men the first few years.
The bolded is patently false, he was posting up regularly, and to some degree of success. And of course, you know that he can get stronger, right? I bet you NBA teams have better strength and conditioning programs than KU. Furthermore, who gives a damn if he's weak for the first few years, you're drafting a raw big man. He isn't supposed to be a great player until year 3.

Toughness is a mentality. Tyson Chandler isn't the strongest guy but he is chippy. He isn't afraid to mix it up and get physical. Embiid isn't like that.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#25 » by Marcus » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:34 pm

GoBobs wrote:Toughness is a mentality. Tyson Chandler isn't the strongest guy but he is chippy. He isn't afraid to mix it up and get physical. Embiid isn't like that.

I don't think Embiid lacks toughness. He developed an edge as the season went on. I think with Embiid he doesn't quite know how to use the weight he does have all that effectively right now. His positioning can be off at times which leads to balance issues when he's banging against bigger bodies. he can appear soft getting bumped around like that, but once someone teaches him the nuiances and how to properly distrubute his weight his toughness or how soft he appears to be won't be a question.

When you watch him establish post position its not a problem, when he has to establish position for a rebound then its an issue. Once he corrects that he should be fine.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#26 » by Bubstubbler » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:12 pm

CunningLinguist wrote:
Fo11ower91 wrote:I didn't like him before his injury, thought he might be a decent role player, nothing more. But with all the injuries he's had, I am pretty sure he is going to be a bust. The next Oden,

What can you possibly not like about a healthy Embiid? He has size, athleticism, great hands, footwork, offensive skill, shotblocking, passing and high basketball IQ. I guess you want your center to be able to hit three pointers too.

And what's crazy is that he's even good at 3pt shooting, too. We didn't see Embiid raining 3's and dribbling like Pistol Pete in games (well, other than the preseason scrimmage), but that was because he was conforming to Self's system, not because he lacked those skills.

He caused a stir at the beginning of KU's season by routinely beating all his teammates in 3pt shooting contests at practice. KU's guards were also wowed by his ball handling skills. There are some funny Tharpe quotes floating around about it.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,524

Post#27 » by 76ciology » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:48 pm

OK.. Not an expert or anything. But I'll try my best to defend Embiid not being a health risk.

KNEE:
He knee was just a sprain. Completely non-issue.

BACK:
His back was 100% and he showed it during his workout in santa monica the blow away GMs.
"all teams come into conclusion that his back is nothing to be worried about.."
- SAM HINKIE

Foot:
With regards to his foot injury, which Hinkie said he had a very extensive background with Yao Ming, so Hinkie know's Embiid's foot was nothing to worry about that's why they picked him.

"The surgery went very well and I’m confident that after appropriate healing he will be able to return to NBA Basketball. Joel tolerated the surgery without difficulty and will begin his rehabilitation in the near future.”

DOCTOR OF EMBIID

IN General:

Walton, he played in a different era when medical technology wasn't as advanced. Yao, he was a giant who was overworked by China's national team. Oden, the guy has some genetical problems with his hips if I'm not mistaken that makes him injury prone because one of his knee would make up more load. That's why he moves like an old man, as per Bill Simmons. Bynum, he was a damaged goods since HS.

I think with modern technology, Embiid's age that favors his side in terms of healing rate, how his injuries are non-chronic and non degenerative, how Big Z, Drummond and Mchale was able to recover from similar injuries, how his back was 100% healthy prior to this new injury, how his doctors doesn't see any problem with Embiid's feet, how the Cavs say health wasn't the issue for them to pass up Embiid, how the Cavs was even rumored to trade down and grab him, how after receiving Embiid's medicals we didn't go hard after the Cavs' 1st (Woj's report), how we have the medical info on Embiid by his agent and found no problems with it considering how cautious we are after Bynum's injury(Sixers FO talked with experts from around the country), how Embiid has said that he expects to play this season, how we have enough time for Embiid to recover, strengthen his body and probably correct his movements.

The fact is, all of these injuries can be healed 100%. It's inevitable that he'd be able to play 100% healthy at some time(atleast 5 months). And the sixers have enough time to do preventive measures like giving him enough time to recover, improving his nutrition and body to make him more durable.

"if he can remain healthy, which I think he has a very very good chance...
- SAM HINKIE

But on Friday, Danny Ainge joined the Toucher and Rich Show on 98.5 The Sports Hub to discuss the NBA draft. He was asked point blank if the Celtics would have taken Embiid at No. 6 had he been available.

"Yes we would have," Ainge said.

Ainge admitted that the injuries did scare them a bit, but not enough to steer clear.

"He was not red flagged," Ainge said, "meaning stay away at all costs. He was rated a little bit less than that with risk. But he was a guy we were looking at had he fallen."

He wowed coaches, scouts and front-office types from Cleveland, which owned the No. 1 pick, during a June 11 workout, at one point swishing 10 straight three-pointers. The Cavaliers also put him through rigorous conditioning tests, which included running on the treadmill, to make sure the back injury that caused him to miss his final six games at Kansas was a thing of the past.

Word soon leaked that Cleveland officials were so impressed with Embiid that they were ready to make him the No. 1 pick in the June 26 draft.

The following morning, though, Embiid mentioned to one of his agents, Francois Nyam, that he was experiencing discomfort in his right foot. It was certainly nothing major, as Embiid spent time juggling a soccer ball at a Los Angeles-area park that afternoon.

The Cavs who went through extensive researching Embiid's medicals for the longest time, would have labeled him a red flag. I'm pretty sure they checked his bone density and other things like checking if there's any problem structurally like Oden. What caused the Cavs to pass up on Embiid was because it would take time before he'll be able to contribute and they want someone who can contribute right away, same thing with the Bucks. Cavs GM, Griffin, even said that health wasn't a factor in passing up Embiid.

So yeah, I don't think Embiid is red flagged. If not, the Cavs (rumor of trading down to grab him) the Sixers, Celtics and the Lakers (my gut feeling is that Embiid received a promise from them) would not be interested in drafting him.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#28 » by snoopdogg88 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:28 pm

I don't think Embiid is necessarily "red flagged" like he has a degenerative knee or something drastic like that.

but you can't just ignore these serious injuries that keep popping up every couple weeks with him either.

and factor in he's only been playing ball for 3 years, and couldn't last through a 35 game college season, there are serious questions how he can hold up over the rigors of an 82 game NBA season
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#29 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:59 pm

76ciology wrote:The Cavs who went through extensive researching Embiid's medicals for the longest time, would have labeled him a red flag. I'm pretty sure they checked his bone density and other things like checking if there's any problem structurally like Oden. What caused the Cavs to pass up on Embiid was because it would take time before he'll be able to contribute and they want someone who can contribute right away, same thing with the Bucks. Cavs GM, Griffin, even said that health wasn't a factor in passing up Embiid.

So yeah, I don't think Embiid is red flagged. If not, the Cavs (rumor of trading down to grab him) the Sixers, Celtics and the Lakers (my gut feeling is that Embiid received a promise from them) would not be interested in drafting him.

I believe it came out that those "trade down" rumors (and the majority of the rumors floating around pre-draft) were made up.

If Cleveland didn't think Embiid was red flagged, they would have traded down because clearly they had him graded as the best prospect in the draft over Wiggins.

I really hope Embiid pans out, because he was my favorite prospect in this draft. But that navicular injury he had is kind of a big deal, when you look at the history of big men who have had that injury. Not to mention all the other issues he's had in a brief time playing basketball.

I really hope Embiid can get back on the court as soon as possible, but for the next 5-10 years every time he takes a hard fall the entire Sixers fanbase is going to be cringing.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#30 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:46 am

Illmatic12 wrote:[

If Cleveland didn't think Embiid was red flagged, they would have traded down because clearly they had him graded as the best prospect in the draft over Wiggins.

See, the cavs are clearly going to pick Embiid prior to the news that Embiid will need 5-8 months to recover from his foot injury. And looking at the Cavs and how desperate they are to make the play-offs, Biid is not a guy that would help them achieve their goal. That's why, if the rumors are true, the Cavs were looking to add solid short term help by asking veterans such as Afflalo, favors and thad along with a lotto. And if the rumors aren't true that they were looking to trade down, then you still can't deny the fact that Sixers, Celtics and perhaps the Lakers who have his medical info, doesn't see him as a red flag and has no problem selecting him.

In the end, I'd say Sixers' weird and unfair circumstance of the ability to tolerate guys who can miss a season before they can be 100% healthy (see Noel), worked out for them.

Any fear that Embiid is a red flag is pure speculation. The fact remains that Embiid's current injury aren't chronic and degenerative. And I believe the Cavs, Lakers, Celtics and the Sixers would have found out any systematic issues like low bone density or structural problem like Oden by looking at his medical info. FwIW, it's said that after the Cavs made Embiid likea guinea pig on a science project by putting him through rigorous medicals to check his back and checking his medicals, their FO has decided to clearly pick him.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#31 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:53 am

snoopdogg88 wrote:I don't think Embiid is necessarily "red flagged" like he has a degenerative knee or something drastic like that.

but you can't just ignore these serious injuries that keep popping up every couple weeks with him either.

and factor in he's only been playing ball for 3 years, and couldn't last through a 35 game college season, there are serious questions how he can hold up over the rigors of an 82 game NBA season

Like someone said, it's not like he's just been in some physical activity for just three years. For all we know Embiid might have been overworked than more draftees, he's said to have played for their national football team if ever he didn't play basketball.

The issue here is are his current injury serious? Because any future issues can be prevented through early detection thru medicals (which teams has already done and embiid has checked out fine) and giving him proper time for recovery, proper nutrition and doing exercise to make him more durable like strengthening and working on his mechanics (something the sixers would take more than extra steps to do).

Like I said, any negative sentiments are speculation. Any positive sentiments are based on facts.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#32 » by 76ciology » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:56 am

FWIW, it looking at oden. He was red flagged from the start. But the blazers kind of took back that statement after some time. But with embiid, no team out there has red flagged him after having his medicals and working him out.

Return to NBA Draft