Lets talk overrated players in the draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

drk3351
Sophomore
And1: 482

Lets talk overrated players in the draft 

Post#1 » by drk3351 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:30 pm

Me and some other people knowledgeable about the draft including dean from deanondraft.com discussed overrated players. Who are some you guys got as overrated? and do you agree with the names mentioned in the video?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyFZ4deMrcA[/youtube]
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Re: Lets talk overrated players in the draft 

Post#2 » by LloydFree » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Julius Randle
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#3 » by miltk » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:36 am

simply base on hype, where he is now, what were his numbers/contributions in college.

zach lavine. the "westbrook with a shot" tag mysteriously stuck even though he was <39%/31% from the 8th game forward. never contributed to a single win at ucla. and they all say he'll need d-league before he's ready in a few years, so they're basically acknowledging that he's not close to being nba ready. missed layups missed dunks and never made a shot when guarded. harold minor ver.2.0

randle at least had numbers and had an effect on games
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#4 » by kennydorglas » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:18 am

McDermott, for sure
Not a top 10 material
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Bucks2585
Junior
And1: 62

Post#5 » by Bucks2585 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:42 am

Nik Stauskas.

Highly regarded on here, but thats what makes him overrated. He's got the 3 point shoot, but his defense is going to keep him off the court. A Tim Hardaway Jr. or a Anthony Morrow type player IMO, great 3 point shooter on a high volume, but going to struggle to get anything more than spot minutes in the lineup.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,545

Post#6 » by Profound23 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:55 am

The last two posts are my most overrated players:

McDermott and Stauskus EASILY!

Besides that Gary Harris, Adreian Payne, and Aaron Gordon are becoming very overrated as of late.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#7 » by Profound23 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:01 am

Bucks2585 wrote:Nik Stauskas.

Highly regarded on here, but thats what makes him overrated. He's got the 3 point shoot, but his defense is going to keep him off the court. A Tim Hardaway Jr. or a Anthony Morrow type player IMO, great 3 point shooter on a high volume, but going to struggle to get anything more than spot minutes in the lineup.

Where are you on the Bucks board? I am getting ripped for saying the same thing. They keep saying I am biased because he is white. When I asked to name a white allstar SG/SF picked in the past decade in the draft one guy posted Steve Nash (even though he isn't a PG) and Bird, Peja, Mullin, and Petrovic.

Besides the fact that two of these guys are Croatian and they were drafted in 1978, 1985, 1986, and 1996 it didn't fit my criteria whatsoever.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#8 » by Notanoob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:39 am

As a UM fan, I can tell you that he's twice the player THJr. is. Significantly better shooter, slasher, and passer. I'm not going to disagree with you on the defensive end, but he could end up like JJ Reddick, good enough on offense that they'll let him learn to play team defense. He'd fit nicely on the Hornets, and I really hope they draft him. They've got the strong defense to afford him and need his shooting.

McDermott, Randle and LaVine are all overrated. Wiggins and Parker too.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#9 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:52 am

Gary Harris

His defense and shot are overrated

Short man's thabo sefolosha

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
Bucks2585
Junior
And1: 62

Post#10 » by Bucks2585 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:54 am

Profound23 wrote:

Where are you on the Bucks board? I am getting ripped for saying the same thing. They keep saying I am biased because he is white. When I asked to name a white allstar SG/SF picked in the past decade in the draft one guy posted Steve Nash (even though he isn't a PG) and Bird, Peja, Mullin, and Petrovic.

Besides the fact that two of these guys are Croatian and they were drafted in 1978, 1985, 1986, and 1996 it didn't fit my criteria whatsoever.

Could care less that he's white. Its just the lack of defense. Honestly, outside of scoring, he doesn't do one thing great. He doesn't rebound, which is a big concern. The lack of defense. And at the next level, I dont see him as a shot creator at all, so his assist numbers will be down.

At least a player like Randle, while his defense will be bad, he can score in the post, get to the line, but most importantly, he's an elite rebounder. Being able to control the glass in addition to his post play, that gives him at least two things to hang his hat on. Most people though see Randle is poor on defense and with less than ideal measurables, honestly Randle is one of the more underrated players in this draft, because all I see are people hating on his physical upside. Everyone loves Stauskas and I don't see it though. What seperates him from Anthony Morrow as a player exactly?
Sonrisen
Banned User
And1: 125

Post#11 » by Sonrisen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:58 am

Rodney Stucky, er, I mean Marcus Smart
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#12 » by Teen Girl Squad » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:12 am

Jabari Parker. Overweight, terrible defensively, poor passer, low efficiency chucker at Duke and I'm supposed to pencil him in as a 20ppg guy in the pros and the safest pick?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,933

Post#13 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:56 am

Profound23 wrote:

Since you bring up the two being Croatians, I assume you are looking for white SGs and SFs that are US-born? If that's the case, using Nik Stauskas as an example is a poor one because he's not US-born. He's Canadian.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#14 » by nicnac215 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:01 am

Gary Harris, I just don't see him being any thing on a nba roster. Too small to play sg
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#15 » by ManualRam » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:23 am

Bucks2585 wrote:At least a player like Randle, while his defense will be bad, he can score in the post, get to the line, but most importantly, he's an elite rebounder. Being able to control the glass in addition to his post play, that gives him at least two things to hang his hat on. Most people though see Randle is poor on defense and with less than ideal measurables, honestly Randle is one of the more underrated players in this draft, because all I see are people hating on his physical upside. Everyone loves Stauskas and I don't see it though. What seperates him from Anthony Morrow as a player exactly?

i wouldn't be so quick to consider post play a strength of randle's. by the numbers his post play actually was not good at all.

as for stauskas vs morrow, stauskas is actually well-versed in PnR play. he's a capable passer off of PnR and is a threat to pull up off of those same ball screens. i don't see stauskas being effective as a slasher, finisher or 1 on 1 player but he's a very good PnR handler.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Profound23
RealGM

Post#16 » by Profound23 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:45 am

Klomp wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

Since you bring up the two being Croatians, I assume you are looking for white SGs and SFs that are US-born? If that's the case, using Nik Stauskas as an example is a poor one because he's not US-born. He's Canadian.

Yep, I saw that. Maybe he will be better now. :lol:
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,608

Post#17 » by youngthegiant » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:40 am

nicnac215 wrote:Gary Harris, I just don't see him being any thing on a nba roster. Too small to play sg
6"4 is not too small for sg. Beal, Bradley, Oladipo, Gordon, Waiters are all guys around 6'4 in height. If he is not successful it won't because he was small.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#18 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:43 am

Profound23 wrote:

But...the following sentence does show you're being bias because he's white. :lol:
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#19 » by BoutPractice » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:22 am

I get their point on LaVine and McDermott (especially McDermott, who has one definite skill but seems pretty lacking in everything else) but on Saric it seems like they're just going with the typical clichés on European players.

The things they're saying about Saric, they would've also said about countless European players who've gone on to produce well to extremely well at the NBA level. I agree with the point made at the end that Saric would have dominated at the college level... if we really do read this much into amateur stats, then we should read even more into professional stats, shouldn't we? Daric's per 40 rebounds for example would get people incredibly excited if he were getting them in college.

It seems like people still believe that if you're European and want to play in the NBA, you're "Dirk or Darko". This couldn't be further from the truth - this would be like saying "if you're American, you're Jordan or Harold Miner".

There is a wide variety of European players who produce in the NBA right now at about every level you can imagine: end of bench guys, role players, good starters, stars, and superstars. It's time to get rid of the old clichés once and for all.

There's no reason why you should be "Dirk or Darko". You can be Nikola Pekovic, Goran Dragic, Nikola Vucevic, Marc Gasol, Danilo Gallinari, Ersan Ilyasova, Hedo Turkoglu, Andrei Kirilenko, Jonas Valanciunas, Boris Diaw, Marcin Gortat, Marco Belinelli, Andrea Bargnani, Nick Calathes, Kosta Koufos, Andris Biedrins, Linas Kleiza, Beno Udrih, Jose Calderon, Ricky Rubio, if we're counting Argentinians you can be Ginobili, Luis Scola, Pablo Prigioni, Carlos Delfino, Andres Nocioni...

A random sample of European players in the NBA looks an awful lot like a random sample of American players in the NBA. They get results in their own way, but they do get them.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#20 » by Snotbubbles » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:23 am

Notanoob wrote:

As a UM fan, I can tell you that he's twice the player THJr. is. Significantly better shooter, slasher, and passer. I'm not going to disagree with you on the defensive end, but he could end up like JJ Reddick, good enough on offense that they'll let him learn to play team defense. He'd fit nicely on the Hornets, and I really hope they draft him. They've got the strong defense to afford him and need his shooting.

McDermott, Randle and LaVine are all overrated. Wiggins and Parker too.

Agree here with Stauskas. JJ Reddick, Kyle Korver or Mike Miller. A decent NBA rotational player. He's being projected to go in the 8-12 range. I think people need to temper their expectations expecting an All-Star player there. The 2003 draft (the one this one is being touted as being as deep as) only had 8 All-Stars in the entire draft and 5 of those came in the top 6.

Return to NBA Draft