Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Re: Who "won" the draft? 

Post#41 » by 51X3RF4N » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:22 pm

A few things on the Philly draft...

1) The Sixers did the following positive things on draft night: Acquire cash from Brooklyn, Acquire 1st round pick, and 2nd round pick from Orlando, draft McDaniels and Grant.

2) The Sixers did the following "risky" things on draft night: Draft Joel Embiid, Draft Dario Saric.

3) The Sixers also did something most people forget when thinking about the draft. They didn't add any significant on the court value to the 2014-15 roster. Meaning the Sixers will very likely have a top 5 pick in 2015.

So the Sixers will have Nerlens Noel, MCW, Grant, McDaniels, McRae, Embiid and a top 5 pick to enter the 2015-16 season. Not to mention enough cap space to sign 2 MAX free agents. Then the following year they expect Saric to come over. The Sixers found a player who potentially will be their "Franchise" player at #3 in the draft.

Yes, the Sixers are banking on a lot of "IF's" and potential; however, they are in a position to have a very, very scary team within 2-3 years. Which is the time frame for when most people think "competing" will be possible.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#42 » by Joel Embust » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:13 pm

I like it. Also getting two athletic/defensive wing players in the second round was a good move. Give them as much burn as possible and see what you got there. Even if only one of them pans out it will be a success.
tayottt
Junior
And1: 275

Post#43 » by tayottt » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:19 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:If you approve of the Embiid and Noel selections, I'm not sure where you believe we made mistakes.

You say that we traded all our assets, but what were they? Only Jrue Holiday? That's one asset, and the return we got for him was Noel, Saric, and a future 1st (our own, returned to us). That return looks to be, in the words of Larry David, pretty, pretty, pretty good. We had Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes but they can't be called assets based on what we were able to get back. Yeah, these guys we got are a bit delayed in when they will see the court. And yes, there are still some unknowns involved in how it will all play out. Time will tell. But high rewards usually involve high risks.
The goal is to be the best we can be in the long run, not to be somewhat better sooner. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.

I don't think the Sixers have made any "mistakes" because we simply don't know yet. That's sort of my point. It's a bit strange for people to prematurely laud their draft as best when there is no guarantee their gamble will pay off and we won't see a tangible/quantifiable/reliable result for a good 2-3 years. I'll concur with you that Turner and Hawes aren't assets. I even agree that they got great return on a somewhat overrated asset in Jrue Holiday. My only bit of contention as a fan is that you can't just punt away seasons and be too scared to take on any salary. The 76ers are using a very one dimensional approach to achieving championship contention. They are gambling HEAVY on the draft. The team is so bad that they can't attract free agents and getting a star in a trade is unlikely because which star would re-sign with such a mediocre roster? Wouldn't it be better for them to apply a two pronged approach and try to sign some legitimate guys (through FA or trade) and field a playoff roster (in a weak Eastern conference) while accruing draft picks and staying lean. You say that adopting a short term viewpoint led to poor results for the Sixers, but I think that's reductive. Paying/drafting/trading-for/trading-away the wrong players (Evan Turner, Elton Brand, Nocioni, Vucevic, Bynum, etc.) hurt the Sixers. There are so few players in the league that take you from average to great just by them being on the team and it's downright scary to bet over and over again on having one those guys fall to you in the draft. Currently in the NBA there are maybe 5 such players. The easier approach is to acquire as many great assets in FA, the draft, and through trades as possible. Not just betting on the draft, but finding market inefficiencies elsewhere.

None of this really matters if the Sixers have hit pay-dirt on Embiid or Noel but it's interesting to think about. The Hawks and Rockets in the last 5 years could have elected to bottom out and go into pure asset acquisition mode but instead they stayed the course and carefully positioned themselves to have maximum flexibility. In the case of the Rockets it's earned them James Harden followed by Dwight Howard. In the case of the Hawks it allowed them to get Millsap on a cheap deal while maintaining the flexibility to trade for a star or sign a well above average player in FA. The one time in modern NBA history where multi-year lottery visits led to superstars (plural) was with the OKC Thunder (and perhaps Olajuwon/Sampson Rockets?). Can it happen again? The Sixers are hoping so.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#44 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:03 pm

tayottt wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:If you approve of the Embiid and Noel selections, I'm not sure where you believe we made mistakes.

You say that we traded all our assets, but what were they? Only Jrue Holiday? That's one asset, and the return we got for him was Noel, Saric, and a future 1st (our own, returned to us). That return looks to be, in the words of Larry David, pretty, pretty, pretty good. We had Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes but they can't be called assets based on what we were able to get back. Yeah, these guys we got are a bit delayed in when they will see the court. And yes, there are still some unknowns involved in how it will all play out. Time will tell. But high rewards usually involve high risks.
The goal is to be the best we can be in the long run, not to be somewhat better sooner. That's what got us into this mess in the first place.

I don't think the Sixers have made any "mistakes" because we simply don't know yet. That's sort of my point. It's a bit strange for people to prematurely laud their draft as best when there is no guarantee their gamble will pay off and we won't see a tangible/quantifiable/reliable result for a good 2-3 years. I'll concur with you that Turner and Hawes aren't assets. I even agree that they got great return on a somewhat overrated asset in Jrue Holiday. My only bit of contention as a fan is that you can't just punt away seasons and be too scared to take on any salary. The 76ers are using a very one dimensional approach to achieving championship contention. They are gambling HEAVY on the draft. The team is so bad that they can't attract free agents and getting a star in a trade is unlikely because which star would re-sign with such a mediocre roster? Wouldn't it be better for them to apply a two pronged approach and try to sign some legitimate guys (through FA or trade) and field a playoff roster (in a weak Eastern conference) while accruing draft picks and staying lean. You say that adopting a short term viewpoint led to poor results for the Sixers, but I think that's reductive. Paying/drafting/trading-for/trading-away the wrong players (Evan Turner, Elton Brand, Nocioni, Vucevic, Bynum, etc.) hurt the Sixers. There are so few players in the league that take you from average to great just by them being on the team and it's downright scary to bet over and over again on having one those guys fall to you in the draft. Currently in the NBA there are maybe 5 such players. The easier approach is to acquire as many great assets in FA, the draft, and through trades as possible. Not just betting on the draft, but finding market inefficiencies elsewhere.

None of this really matters if the Sixers have hit pay-dirt on Embiid or Noel but it's interesting to think about. The Hawks and Rockets in the last 5 years could have elected to bottom out and go into pure asset acquisition mode but instead they stayed the course and carefully positioned themselves to have maximum flexibility. In the case of the Rockets it's earned them James Harden followed by Dwight Howard. In the case of the Hawks it allowed them to get Millsap on a cheap deal while maintaining the flexibility to trade for a star or sign a well above average player in FA. The one time in modern NBA history where multi-year lottery visits led to superstars (plural) was with the OKC Thunder (and perhaps Olajuwon/Sampson Rockets?). Can it happen again? The Sixers are hoping so.

I agree, "who won the draft?" is a question that can't be answered now. Like I said, it's still unknown how this will all turn out. No one can be sure.

You mention Harden going to the Rockets but that's more like the exception rather than the rule in terms of a star player going to a team that doesn't already have a star. Who did the Rockets have to lure him in 2012? And who is to say we won't try to do something similar, either this FA period or in 2015? It seems like you're fine with the draft picks we made but want to see us do more. But what opportunities have there been so far that we missed out on? FA signings? Trading the #3 pick for a star? Not sure what you would've had us do differently up until this point.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#45 » by Winglish » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:10 pm

Leaving homerism for the Jazz aside, I really like what Charlotte did. Vonleh can learn post moves from Big Al and Hairston is the shooter they have been needing. Good job, Hornets.
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#46 » by TreasureCoast » Thu Jul 3, 2014 12:53 am

basketballRob wrote:
GC Pantalones wrote:
dancooper wrote:orlando won the draft. they got aaron gordon, which was a schock in my opinion), but then they reedeem theirselves by drafting saric and then trading him for elf payton.

G - Elfrid Payton
G - Oladipo
F - Tobias Harris OR Aaron Gordon
F - Aaron Gordon OR Tobias Harris
C - Vucevic

really young team with lots of potential

When you pick Aaron Gordon at 4 you automatically lose. He wasn't a top 14 prospect IMO.

Utah won if I had to pick one team. They got 2 guys everyone thought would go top 5 or 7.

Exum must of killed when he worked out for Utah, so I agree they won. Exum was horrible in his workout for the Magic, according to a member of the Magic on the radio yesterday. He was probably just having a bad day when he was here.

Yeah Exum didn't work out for Jazz
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#47 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:06 pm

Beast_Reality wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
GC Pantalones wrote:When you pick Aaron Gordon at 4 you automatically lose. He wasn't a top 14 prospect IMO.

Utah won if I had to pick one team. They got 2 guys everyone thought would go top 5 or 7.

Exum must of killed when he worked out for Utah, so I agree they won. Exum was horrible in his workout for the Magic, according to a member of the Magic on the radio yesterday. He was probably just having a bad day when he was here.

Yeah Exum didn't work out for Jazz

That doesn't matter, according to the media and youtube highlights, he's going to be a superstar.
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#48 » by GANGSTERDOG » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:42 am

E-Balla wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
GC Pantalones wrote:When you pick Aaron Gordon at 4 you automatically lose. He wasn't a top 14 prospect IMO.

I was going to comment about how letting one workout affect your pick to that degree is a bad thing but then I remembered that outside of international competition (where he's been great) we know nothing about him. I do remember Marcus Smart locking him down (he made up for it by doing great against Elfrid).

Either way they should've went with Smart or traded down if they didn't like him. This was a deep draft there was a lot of talent late (one of the best players was passed until 30) so there's no reason to take a project like Gordon who may never have the body for his position at 4. At best I can see Gordon being a poor man's Battier with leaping ability.

Whats everyones view a year later?

IMO the team that won didnt even pick in the top 10
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#49 » by majortom71 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 am

GANGSTERDOG wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

I was going to comment about how letting one workout affect your pick to that degree is a bad thing but then I remembered that outside of international competition (where he's been great) we know nothing about him. I do remember Marcus Smart locking him down (he made up for it by doing great against Elfrid).

Either way they should've went with Smart or traded down if they didn't like him. This was a deep draft there was a lot of talent late (one of the best players was passed until 30) so there's no reason to take a project like Gordon who may never have the body for his position at 4. At best I can see Gordon being a poor man's Battier with leaping ability.

Whats everyones view a year later?

IMO the team that won didnt even pick in the top 10

I am not sure who you are referring to but if Gordon and Exum both step up their game this season and play at the next level then I would have to give Jazz and Magic a good draft.
Of course Wiggins was a solid pick but he was dealt for Love so I guess Cavs won for that.
Parker looked solid too but he was injured way too early so we'll see.
Lakers got the steal of the draft with Clarkson but I'm not sold on Randle yet.

Philly gambled on Embiid but so far it has looked like a bad choice, if Saric comes over and plays solid then it's not too bad. If he pulls a Fran Vasquez then it will be a devastating draft for them.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#50 » by Rosque » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:17 pm

^I'll **** Shakira sooner than Saric pulling a frand vasquez
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#51 » by MrTwister » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Rosque wrote:^I'll **** Shakira sooner than Saric pulling a frand vasquez

In last 20 years, only 2 out of 127 international players drafted in 1st round never played in NBA(not including current draft and stash players).Fran Vasquez and that french dude that got teabagged by Vince Carter.Yet somehow its always more likely that international player will never come over despite all odds. :crazy: :crazy:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#52 » by basketballRob » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:12 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

Isaiah, is that you?

Mad you drafted a scrub? The man is a 220 lb PF with no length (8-9 standing reach), no skill (42% from the free throw line), not a great rebounder, not even the best perimeter defender in the draft... Like seriously. He's not close to good.

He's still younger than some of the draft picks this year.
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#53 » by majortom71 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:06 am

MrTwister wrote:

In last 20 years, only 2 out of 127 international players drafted in 1st round never played in NBA(not including current draft and stash players).Fran Vasquez and that french dude that got teabagged by Vince Carter.Yet somehow its always more likely that international player will never come over despite all odds. :crazy: :crazy:

Calm down, I said if as in there's a possibility don't get emotional about it... :roll:
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Who "won" the draft? 

Post#54 » by GANGSTERDOG » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:55 am

majortom71 wrote:
MrTwister wrote:

Calm down, I said if as in there's a possibility don't get emotional about it... :roll:

In my earlier post i was referring to the Timberwolves. I believe they won the draft.
Also believe Magic are 2nd depending if Elfrid gets a jump shot. Im not to worried about Air Gordon im beyond confident he will be a star in the league.
Also Utah will probably be up there

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#55 » by ColdBlooded » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Sam Hinkie crew.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#56 » by j-ragg » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:47 pm

ColdBlooded wrote:Image

Napier?
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#57 » by ColdBlooded » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:05 am

j-ragg wrote:
ColdBlooded wrote:[img]http://www.gwiazdybasketu.pl/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/pr.jpg[/img

Napier?

Lmao.Didn't read the thread. Thought it was this year.

Welp.
Sam Hinkie crew.

Return to NBA Draft