Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#141 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:17 pm

Marcus wrote:
reanimator wrote:Passer I'll give you by a tiny fraction.

Leader and teammate is subjective and you've never played with either guy...... also 5 rings

Post game? You must be trolling.

How much Penny did you see?

the passer comment is incredible by itself we're talking about a guy who was put in the same class as Magic Johnson vision wise on the court compared to a guy who although very underrated for his passing acumen simply wasn't in that class.

The post game comment tells me you couldn't have seen much of the kid which is understandible considering his injury history and short his years at his best were. But bruh Penny's post game was very effective from the elbow or the block and not just against smaller PGs despite being skinny as f*ck he was effective against guys around his size and stronger due to his quicks and footwork.

Man, Penny used the post to spin baseline or get in the middle... he definitely didn't have Kobe level skills down there.

I'll let you look at the ast% and see who Penny is closer to: Kobe or Magic

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... aan01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... nko01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... sma02.html
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#142 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:22 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Back on TOPIC Dante has the potential to be an excellent player and if healthy surpass Penny as far as accolades and achievements go. But their games aren't at all similar outside of height and length. Exum needs a lot more work to reach Penny's skill level.

I don't agree with that, I think Exum doesn't have the athletic abilities of a young Penny. Penny was as quick as Exum, BUT he had the explosion of Wiggins. (Not quite, but close)

Exum is just fast, he doesn't have much explosion.

The physical limits are why I would say Exum doesn't have the potential to surpass a healthy Penny.

didn't say he was as athletic as Penny I said he has the potential to have a better career than Penny if he can remain healthy because that was Penny's downfall. If Penny stayed healthy his whole career im not sure we're even having this debate with dude but he didn't, so his numbers are gonna be average and there isn't a long stretch from which to draw from to speak on Penny's talent level. When he was right he was ridiculously good and was in position to fight for a claim of best player in the L not named Jordan but that's a small window. A healthy Exum even if he never quite reaches Penny's level of talent could still have a better career due to longevity if he lives up to his potential.

I agree with the rest though on Exum. he's got that first step and good end to end but the quicks to change directions isn't there and he isn't as explosive as Penny.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#143 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Penny spent 3 years in college but Exum isn't Penny so let us kill that noise.

Exum would make huge gains physically/athletically in a high major college program's S&C, let alone an NBA one. Guys like Payton and Smart are further along in that regard, also trainers and level of competition being at a higher level.

You have to look at what kind of development guys are/were getting when projecting them.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#144 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:46 pm

reanimator wrote:Man, Penny used the post to spin baseline or get in the middle... he definitely didn't have Kobe level skills down there.

I'll let you look at the ast% and see who Penny is closer to: Kobe or Magic

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... aan01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... nko01.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... sma02.html

saw this coming when I first said something, career wise Kobe is going to have the better numbers advanced or otherwise because he's played longer and in a more prominent role combined with that longevity. Even still Kobe's highest ast% outside of last year when he played 6 games is still lower than Penny's highest which was shockingly during the timeframe in Penny's career thats in discussion.

Go back and re-read what I posted earlier I said Kobe had the edge in all the categories but that it wasn't as drastic as you're making it out to be. Penny might not have had the array of moves but that doesn't make him any less effective down there.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#145 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 pm

reanimator wrote:Penny spent 3 years in college but Exum isn't Penny so let us kill that noise.

Exum would make huge gains physically/athletically in a high major college program's S&C, let alone an NBA one. Guys like Payton and Smart are further along in that regard, also trainers and level of competition being at a higher level.

You have to look at what kind of development guys are/were getting when projecting them.

which is the same point i've been making in regards to Exum being compared to Penny or the other guards in this class. They're further along but kiddo has a lot of potential if he puts the work in.

Said from day one. I like Exum but the left hand thing worried me and that was the only concern i had/have. The rest will come. He'll get his conditioning up, his shot should improve because its not broken just slow. A lot of the SL misses were just bad selections on when to take the jumper. The vision is there, he plays at a nice pace, needs to tighten his handle and use his off hand more because to me that's the only thing keeping Trey Burke alive in Utah right now. he has the motor and mindset to defend just has to learn how to at this level, long, fast, intelligent, young, and has a ton of room to grow. I would have taken him over Payton but wouldn't be surprised to see Elf come along faster because of his development being farther along and I don't consider Smart a PG when its all said and done so I wouldn't put him in that convo.

The kid is nice, he's not Kobe, he's not Penny, and the Parker comparison isn't exactly a slap in the face either. But he'll find his nitche and be who he is we just gotta wait for the identity.
Watch More Basketball

tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#146 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 pm

Marcus wrote:The vision is there, he plays at a nice pace, needs to tighten his handle and use his off hand more because to me that's the only thing keeping Trey Burke alive in Utah right now.

I think Burke needs to move to the bench and let Exum start and develop RIGHT now. Utah isn't winning **** next year anyways, might as well give the guy who has a higher ceiling the starting gig. Plus in my mind, Burke is perfectly suited to come off the bench as a super sub.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#147 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:38 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
Marcus wrote:The vision is there, he plays at a nice pace, needs to tighten his handle and use his off hand more because to me that's the only thing keeping Trey Burke alive in Utah right now.

I think Burke needs to move to the bench and let Exum start and develop RIGHT now. Utah isn't winning **** next year anyways, might as well give the guy who has a higher ceiling the starting gig. Plus in my mind, Burke is perfectly suited to come off the bench as a super sub.

i agree to an extent, I think as Dante gradually improves that off hand we'll see less and less of Trey on the ball. Jazz ain't trying to put dude on the ball right now though because the scouting report is pretty simple, force him left towards help so that step doesn't beat u and sit on that right hand. He'll get rattled, uncomfortable, and either rack up TOs or it puts the ball in someone elses hand to create shots. Offense disrupted.

Jazz should be looking to develop Exum and groom him for the PG spot but not at the cost of properly engaging everyone else. especially if Burke is still capable even if he isn't as potentially gifted as the rook. Exum is fine attacking and creating once he's in the set for now. But if they can't get into a set it does nobody any good.
Watch More Basketball

LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Post#148 » by LoyalKing » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:04 pm

4.7ppg / 2.0 apg @ 37%FG / 30% 3-pointer / 47%TS / 62% FT in 18 minutes.

Not trying to be a smartas.., but he is playing exactly the way I predicted and the way his stats were presented before the draft. The only difference is that he is struggling to score against real men.

He is a very poor shooter (his FT shooting in Rondo bad) and he doesn't have a pass-first mentality at all. He is basically a 6'6 SG that can't shoot that was sold as a 6'6 PG in the draft. (hence the hype)

I still remain with the same opinion. Among the top 5 picks of the past draft, Exum has the biggest bust potential by far.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#149 » by stitches » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:29 pm

LoyalKing wrote:4.7ppg / 2.0 apg @ 37%FG / 30% 3-pointer / 47%TS / 62% FT in 18 minutes.

Not trying to be a smartas.., but he is playing exactly the way I predicted and the way his stats were presented before the draft. The only difference is that he is struggling to score against real men.

He is a very poor shooter (his FT shooting in Rondo bad) and he doesn't have a pass-first mentality at all. He is basically a 6'6 SG that can't shoot that was sold as a 6'6 PG in the draft. (hence the hype)

I still remain with the same opinion. Among the top 5 picks of the past draft, Exum has the biggest bust potential by far.

Lol, have you actually watched him play? Doesn't have pass first mentality? That's pretty much ALL he does. He passes! He's frustrating with that actually... HE PASSES AND PASSES AND PASSES(mainly around the perimeter)! He's shooting 60% of his shots from 3, the huge majority of those spot up open 3s. I recently compared him to Danny Green - when it comes to the shots he's taking he's almost exact copy of him:
3P Danny Green: 60%
3P Dante Exum: 58%

10-23 feet Green: 15%
10-23 feet Dante: 15%

3-10 feet Green: 7%
3-10 feet Dante: 10%

0-3 feet Green: 18%
0-3 feet Dante:17%

The problem with his play right now is not that he doesn't pass. It's that this and shooting spot up 3s is the only things he does. He's extremely passive. I bet the scouting reports on him right now say - "always, 100% of the time looks to pass, never attacks the rim or looks for his own shot" and it's completely killing his game. Right now when he beats his man off the dribble, no secondary defender comes to help on his penetration simply because they know he's going nowhere. He won't go to the rim because he looks scared to enter the paint, he won't pull up and shoot, he always looks for the pass and opponents have pretty much figured that out and cover the passing lanes and he's either forced to retract to the perimeter or pass to the perimeter.

This is his biggest problem right now - he's passive and looks scared to attack. He looks like a boy among men. I really hope as he matures and his body improves, that will change, because all the scouting reports were actually touting his aggression and penetration as one of his best attributes.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#150 » by Catchall » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:21 am

Exum is playing very conservatively. His game may open up towards the end of the year, but he's not trying to do much right now. He's got a bright future.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MCDubbin
Junior
And1: 547

Post#151 » by MCDubbin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:07 am

He's bad as MCW
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Post#152 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:14 am

He sure isn't lighting the world on fire. Maybe he shows better next season?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Amish Mafioso
Banned User
And1: 1,004

Post#153 » by Amish Mafioso » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:39 am

stitches wrote: He looks like a boy among men.

He is a boy among men. Maturity levels vary among 19 year olds, and it seems pretty clear that he's intimidated right now. To me, it looks like he's either afraid of physical contact or maybe of pissing off his teammates if he screws up, possibly a little of both. Of course it's a little disappointing, but I don't think its' unreasonable for a 19 year old to require time to adapt. On the positive side, his 3 point shooting is a nice suprise considering the concerns people had coming in. All things considered, I'm not too concerned. He's obviously going to take some time to develop, but I think he will overcome his issues with a year or two of experience and growing into his body.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,391

Post#154 » by Hornet Mania » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:56 am

He's 19, and it was well known that he was one of the biggest projects in the draft who was very unlikely to make an immediate impact. If he looks unimproved in a couple years it will be a concern, otherwise you just chalk it up to the fact that no one is a finished product at that age. Still like the pick for the Jazz, you swing for the fences and hope for the best. I think in the end Exum is going to be a really nice player, it's just a waiting game.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#155 » by Jazzfan12 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 pm

Amish Mafioso wrote:
stitches wrote: He looks like a boy among men.

He is a boy among men. Maturity levels vary among 19 year olds, and it seems pretty clear that he's intimidated right now. To me, it looks like he's either afraid of physical contact or maybe of pissing off his teammates if he screws up, possibly a little of both. Of course it's a little disappointing, but I don't think its' unreasonable for a 19 year old to require time to adapt. On the positive side, his 3 point shooting is a nice suprise considering the concerns people had coming in. All things considered, I'm not too concerned. He's obviously going to take some time to develop, but I think he will overcome his issues with a year or two of experience and growing into his body.

He's shooting 30% from three, 60% from the line, and 4.5% from midrange, how is that encouraging?
LoyalKing
Veteran
And1: 1,392

Post#156 » by LoyalKing » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:01 pm

stitches wrote:
LoyalKing wrote:4.7ppg / 2.0 apg @ 37%FG / 30% 3-pointer / 47%TS / 62% FT in 18 minutes.

Lol, have you actually watched him play? Doesn't have pass first mentality? That's pretty much ALL he does. He passes! He's frustrating with that actually... HE PASSES AND PASSES AND PASSES(mainly around the perimeter)! He's shooting 60% of his shots from 3, the huge majority of those spot up open 3s. I recently compared him to Danny Green - when it comes to the shots he's taking he's almost exact copy of him:

The problem with his play right now is not that he doesn't pass. It's that this and shooting spot up 3s is the only things he does. He's extremely passive. I bet the scouting reports on him right now say - "always, 100% of the time looks to pass, never attacks the rim or looks for his own shot" and it's completely killing his game. Right now when he beats his man off the dribble, no secondary defender comes to help on his penetration simply because they know he's going nowhere. He won't go to the rim because he looks scared to enter the paint, he won't pull up and shoot, he always looks for the pass and opponents have pretty much figured that out and cover the passing lanes and he's either forced to retract to the perimeter or pass to the perimeter.

This is his biggest problem right now - he's passive and looks scared to attack. He looks like a boy among men. I really hope as he matures and his body improves, that will change, because all the scouting reports were actually touting his aggression and penetration as one of his best attributes.

I've been watching Exum a lot in FIBA games.

Passing around a lot doesn't equate = great passing skills. Exum's game was NEVER about that. He has never been known as a great facilitator. You take guy like Rubio for example : Even though he struggled a lot with his shooting in the NBA, you could see that his vision/passing skills and his game as a facilitator was always there.

Exum has always been a great scoring guard that attacks the rim. But he needs to dominate the ball, because his lack of shooting hurts his off the ball game.

That's why he is playing so poorly in Utah. He is useless as a passive player. It's like having a scared Tyreke Evans trying to play off the ball on your team. It will never work because he is a horrible shooter and so is Exum.

Exum needs to dominate the ball, plays more aggressive and he needs floor spacers as teammates. The fact that his offensive shots are somehow similar to Green's shots just shows that he is not playing to his strengths. Green is a 3 and D that plays off the ball most of time and shoots 3s at a high rate (44% career 3p shooter). He is supposed to play that way.

Exum is taking a lot of 3s, but he is making only 30% of it. It's terrible. And I am sure that the Jazz didn't draft Exum to become a Danny Green type of player.

Look, i understand Jazz fans standing up for their player, but my opinion hasn't changed a bit. For the hype that Exum had in the draft, he has the biggest bust potential by far.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,277

Post#157 » by babyjax13 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:27 pm

LoyalKing wrote:
stitches wrote:

I've been watching Exum a lot in FIBA games.

Passing around a lot doesn't equate = great passing skills. Exum's game was NEVER about that. He has never been known as a great facilitator. You take guy like Rubio for example : Even though he struggled a lot with his shooting in the NBA, you could see that his vision/passing skills and his game as a facilitator was always there.

Exum has always been a great scoring guard that attacks the rim. But he needs to dominate the ball, because his lack of shooting hurts his off the ball game.

That's why he is playing so poorly in Utah. He is useless as a passive player. It's like having a scared Tyreke Evans trying to play off the ball on your team. It will never work because he is a horrible shooter and so is Exum.

Exum needs to dominate the ball, plays more aggressive and he needs floor spacers as teammates. The fact that his offensive shots are somehow similar to Green's shots just shows that he is not playing to his strengths. Green is a 3 and D that plays off the ball most of time and shoots 3s at a high rate (44% career 3p shooter). He is supposed to play that way.

Exum is taking a lot of 3s, but he is making only 30% of it. It's terrible. And I am sure that the Jazz didn't draft Exum to become a Danny Green type of player.

Look, i understand Jazz fans standing up for their player, but my opinion hasn't changed a bit. For the hype that Exum had in the draft, he has the biggest bust potential by far.

Exum can be and sometimes is a great passer. Some of the things he does to hit open teammates are just jaw-dropping. But yes, we all want to see him in attack mode, and that is something that Snyder has publicly said needs to happen. Exum is now starting, so I think with the role change we will hopefully see that aspect of his game develop. But if you think he isn't a "pure point" it's because you haven't watched him enough in the NBA. This isn't FIBA, the game is different in a lot of ways, and Exum has certainly developed quite a bit since he was in those tournaments.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#158 » by Catchall » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:09 am

He did a bit the other night...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4OBHzXzQaQ[/youtube]
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#159 » by Catchall » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:15 am

He did a bit more last night...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z0CJpw80dU[/youtube]
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#160 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:03 pm

It's way too early to tell. If people dont come right out of the gate like Damian Lilliard, they're busts. Marcus Smart isn't scorching the stat line either but he's showing maturity and growth on Offense expeically concerning his 3pt % and his PG skills are coming along slowly. Not everyone is going to be a monster right out of the gate, especially PG's and Centers. They have the biggest learning curve out of everyone. He'll be fine. He needs some years in the league before you can see who was a bust or not. Then there's the Anthony Bennetts of the leauge, But he's a power forward and he lost his mojo right outta the gate and he didn't have to learn the PG or Center spot. Put that in conjunction with him having the pressure of being the number 1 pick and he's definitely a bust. But that happens. He'll have a much better carreer than Anthony Bennett. But lots of people already know this.

Return to NBA Draft