Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#121 » by Marcus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:19 pm

RapHippy wrote:I'm sure homerism is the equal to the bias towards Exum, which Exum fans hold.

yeah i see them as one in the same. thanks for the quote though.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
RapHippy
Rookie
And1: 267

Post#122 » by RapHippy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:25 pm

Marcus wrote:
RapHippy wrote:I'm sure homerism is the equal to the bias towards Exum, which Exum fans hold.

yeah i see them as one in the same. thanks for the quote though.

More towards the other person because he's both defending Exum & mocking Magic fans for liking what they've seen from Payton, and saying the truth about how Exum has looked so far.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#123 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:24 am

This thread has become bookmark status lol
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#124 » by EMG518 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:35 am

RapHippy wrote:
Marcus wrote:
reanimator wrote:I actually like Payton. Magic fans are just transparent in claiming Exum is "ok"

I can agree with you there. some of the homerism around here is pretty crazy.

. Exum could be great still, but his hype seemed to be slightly exaggerated.

Slightly is an understament. I have heard a young Kobe Bryant and Penny Hardaway thrown around by numerous people. I went and watched some high school Kobe and college Penny footage and both are laughable for a comparison.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,261

Post#125 » by babyjax13 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:07 am

Exum doesn't look like a scoring combo guard so far, he looks like a pure point guard. Summer league was promising because he showed nice flashes and there was some clear development from beginning to end. Payton is going to start the year better, but I think by the end of their rookie season people are going to be splitting hairs over which they'd rather have.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#126 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:46 am

EMG518 wrote:
RapHippy wrote:
Marcus wrote:
I can agree with you there. some of the homerism around here is pretty crazy.

Slightly is an understament. I have heard a young Kobe Bryant and Penny Hardaway thrown around by numerous people. I went and watched some high school Kobe and college Penny footage and both are laughable for a comparison.

Yeah both of those are pretty laughable at this point. Been waiting for another Penny for years now this dude ain't that.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
reanimator
Analyst

Post#127 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:53 pm

Different players have different development curves and Exum has a lot more to learn and a much higher ceiling than Payton. Period.
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#128 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Marcus wrote:
EMG518 wrote:
RapHippy wrote:

Yeah both of those are pretty laughable at this point. Been waiting for another Penny for years now this dude ain't that.

The only reason people say Penny is because he is tall, I think a better comparison would be a taller Tony Parker. btw, definitely not saying he will be as good as TP, just play similar to him.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#129 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:30 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
Marcus wrote:
EMG518 wrote:

The only reason people say Penny is because he is tall, I think a better comparison would be a taller Tony Parker. btw, definitely not saying he will be as good as TP, just play similar to him.

same way i see it sir.
Watch More Basketball

reanimator
Analyst

Post#130 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:54 pm

Penny Hardaway in the same sentence as Kobe Bryant is laughable.
tranjSAIC
Banned User

Post#131 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm

reanimator wrote:Penny Hardaway in the same sentence as Kobe Bryant is laughable.

Why?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#132 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:36 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
reanimator wrote:Penny Hardaway in the same sentence as Kobe Bryant is laughable.

Why?

longevity.
Watch More Basketball

reanimator
Analyst

Post#133 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:38 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:

Why?

Are you actually serious? :o
reanimator
Analyst

Post#134 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Marcus wrote:
tranjSAIC wrote:

Why?

longevity.

On ball defense? Foot work? Shooting ability? Volume scoring? Working out the post?

And while I like the Tony Parker comparison, I think Exum can be a better defender and shooter and he has the physical dimensions to work out the post down the line.
tranjSAIC
Banned User

Post#135 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:55 pm

reanimator wrote:
Marcus wrote:
tranjSAIC wrote:Why?

longevity.

On ball defense? Foot work? Shooting ability? Volume scoring? Working out the post?

And while I like the Tony Parker comparison, I think Exum can be a better defender and shooter and he has the physical dimensions to work out the post down the line.

You want to compare Kobe who had a full career to Penny who we never saw in his prime? The short time Penny was in the league to 97 (first major injury) You could see Penny had it all. I doubt he would have been the volume scorer & defender Kobe became, but no doubt he was a better passer, leader, teammate, and post player.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#136 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:01 pm

tranjSAIC wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Marcus wrote:
longevity.

You want to compare Kobe who had a full career to Penny who we never saw in his prime? The short time Penny was in the league to 97 (first major injury) You could see Penny had it all. I doubt he would have been the volume scorer & defender Kobe became, but no doubt he was a better passer, leader, teammate, and post player.

Passer I'll give you by a tiny fraction.

Leader and teammate is subjective and you've never played with either guy...... also 5 rings

Post game? You must be trolling.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#137 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:03 pm

reanimator wrote:On ball defense? Foot work? Shooting ability? Volume scoring? Working out the post?

not sure what the Kobe v Penny conversation has to do with Exum in the first place but ok.

I'll give you the "laughable" advantage in volume scoring between Bean and Penny cause Penny wasn't that type of player and even though he could get his buckets I don't think even if healthy throughout he would have put up the type of numbers Bean did.

As far as the rest Kobe has an advantage but its not as wide or "laughable" as you're making it out to be.

Penny was a great on ball defender and I find it funny that its something you point out in Exum's potential and it being one of the reasons for the Penny comparison yet you're downplaying it.

Penny was one of if not the best post-up PGs in the league when he played (shoutout to The Glove) and a lot of that had to do with his footwork. his spins were crazy, his balance, change of direction and ability to create space were some of the best in the league at the time.

Kobe wins shooting as well but looking at the percentages its not by a wide margin. Penny is my favorite player of all time but i'm not bias enough to say that he's anywhere near Kobe career wise. To me that speaks more to longevity though. A Healthy Penny throughout his career ALTHOUGH NOT AS GOOD AS KOBE wouldn't be considered laughable in the conversation as far as skillsets go.

Back on TOPIC Dante has the potential to be an excellent player and if healthy surpass Penny as far as accolades and achievements go. But their games aren't at all similar outside of height and length. Exum needs a lot more work to reach Penny's skill level.
Watch More Basketball

tranjSAIC
Banned User

Post#138 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Marcus wrote:
Back on TOPIC Dante has the potential to be an excellent player and if healthy surpass Penny as far as accolades and achievements go. But their games aren't at all similar outside of height and length. Exum needs a lot more work to reach Penny's skill level.

I don't agree with that, I think Exum doesn't have the athletic abilities of a young Penny. Penny was as quick as Exum, BUT he had the explosion of Wiggins. (Not quite, but close)

Exum is just fast, he doesn't have much explosion.

The physical limits are why I would say Exum doesn't have the potential to surpass a healthy Penny.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#139 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm

reanimator wrote:Passer I'll give you by a tiny fraction.

Leader and teammate is subjective and you've never played with either guy...... also 5 rings

Post game? You must be trolling.

How much Penny did you see?

the passer comment is incredible by itself we're talking about a guy who was put in the same class as Magic Johnson vision wise on the court compared to a guy who although very underrated for his passing acumen simply wasn't in that class.

The post game comment tells me you couldn't have seen much of the kid which is understandible considering his injury history and short his years at his best were. But bruh Penny's post game was very effective from the elbow or the block and not just against smaller PGs despite being skinny as f*ck he was effective against guys around his size and stronger due to his quicks and footwork.
Watch More Basketball

reanimator
Analyst

Post#140 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm

Show me Penny turning over each shoulder, up and under or shooting hooks out of the post?

And I've never compared Dante to Penny but do acknowledge that some have but I do think he has that kind of ceiling.

Return to NBA Draft