Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,690

Re: Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#181 » by basketballRob » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:16 pm

splendidham wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:"Man gotta have a code."

Exum looked fat in the summer league. Let's hope he's bulking to lean out, because he still has so much work to go. Getting to the line isn't that hard in summer league because the refs blow the whistle on everything. I am intrigued by his second year for sure.

All that fat and he's still posting the second fastest lane agility time ever at P3. He did look a bit pudgy in the back side though. I couldn't figure out if it was just fat or whether it was his baggy shorts. In photos from SL that I've seen of him since, he doesn't look fat at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? What are the top 5 ever? Seems like I could name a dozen players faster than him if i tried.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,690

Post#182 » by basketballRob » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:23 pm

splendidham wrote:

Exum looked fat in the summer league. Let's hope he's bulking to lean out, because he still has so much work to go. Getting to the line isn't that hard in summer league because the refs blow the whistle on everything. I am intrigued by his second year for sure.

All that fat and he's still posting the second fastest lane agility time ever at P3. He did look a bit pudgy in the back side though. I couldn't figure out if it was just fat or whether it was his baggy shorts. In photos from SL that I've seen of him since, he doesn't look fat at all.

Maybe you should re-check your glasses. Exum was 10.75, which is pretty good. It's a little better than Cody Zeller's 10.82.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#183 » by erudite23 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:24 pm

majortom71 wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:
majortom71 wrote:I never really got to watch too many Jazz games but had some questions on Exum's defense.
In games does Exum usually guard the 2 position or the 1? Can he guard top players at both positions?

He has the size and length to guard either.

I understand but has he defended against top guards like CP3 or Kyrie? And if so how did he hold up against them?

He doesn't play them exclusively, but he is usually matched up against the other team's PG, especially if it's a smaller/quicker type like CP3 or Kyrie. There were times when he was shifted away from the Bledsoes and Westbrooks of the world, but he was our fastest and maybe even best perimeter defender among the players who got regular PT (as an aside, keep an eye out for Elijah Millsap--if he ever develops any offensive game he's going to be really good; dude already one of the very best perimeter defenders in the league) so he usually drew the toughest assignments.

There were several games where he was visibly getting inside his opponent's head with his combination of elite length and quickness. The best example of the progression he made could be seen by comparing him in the last pre season game against CP and the Clips versus the last time the two teams played in the regular season. Completely different player, particularly on D. No one can actually take CP out of his game, but Dante seemed to affect him just a bit and that is extremely unusual, especially for a rookie.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#184 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:25 am

exum is a project, everyone should have known that he was never going to come in and dominate the NBA right away. also to me it's apparent he is not an NBA PG, but a 2 or a combo guard but he has time to develop his skills.

lol @ the people that trashed aaron gordon but praised exum. both players are projects, aaron gordon is just alot further ahead.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#185 » by splendidham » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:33 am

basketballRob wrote:
splendidham wrote:

Maybe you should re-check your glasses. Exum was 10.75, which is pretty good. It's a little better than Cody Zeller's 10.82.

Hmmm, seem to be able to read this just fine without the use of glasses. Maybe I need a hearing aid instead

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150710_071015_dennis-lindsey.mp3

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#186 » by stitches » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:28 am

About his "fatness":

Doesn't look fat at all to me... Looks like he's gotten bigger in a good way. Baggy basketball jerseys and shorts I guess can make him seem chubby...
erudite23
Lead Assistant

Post#187 » by erudite23 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:41 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:exum is a project, everyone should have known that he was never going to come in and dominate the NBA right away. also to me it's apparent he is not an NBA PG, but a 2 or a combo guard but he has time to develop his skills.

lol @ the people that trashed aaron gordon but praised exum. both players are projects, aaron gordon is just alot further ahead.

I don't think you have watched Dante play at all. You're correct that he is a "project," but if there's one thing that is no longer a question, it's that he is a natural born PG. He has the vision, the instincts and the intellect for the position, and the defensive chops to lock down on these jitterbug PGs who are taking over the league. Plus he's not great moving off the ball and his jumper is still a work in progress. At PG he has the potential to be a difference maker. At SG he would be an average player at best.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#188 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Only people who have watched him play extensively know that he is a PG.

I don't quite get where the "he looked fat at SL" comments came from, but what he did look was quick as hell (i.e. nothing's changed in that department). Really looking forward to this season for him.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,088

Post#189 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:36 pm

stitches wrote:About his "fatness":

Doesn't look fat at all to me... Looks like he's gotten bigger in a good way. Baggy basketball jerseys and shorts I guess can make him seem chubby...

Is that even him? I don't recognize him without his mouth open.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#190 » by splendidham » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:48 pm

erudite23 wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:exum is a project, everyone should have known that he was never going to come in and dominate the NBA right away. also to me it's apparent he is not an NBA PG, but a 2 or a combo guard but he has time to develop his skills.

I don't think you have watched Dante play at all. You're correct that he is a "project," but if there's one thing that is no longer a question, it's that he is a natural born PG. He has the vision, the instincts and the intellect for the position, and the defensive chops to lock down on these jitterbug PGs who are taking over the league. Plus he's not great moving off the ball and his jumper is still a work in progress. At PG he has the potential to be a difference maker. At SG he would be an average player at best.

I wouldn't say average at SG at best. He might lose his size advantage but he would be faster then most at that position and a better passer than most as well. I agree with you though, he's definitely a PG

majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#191 » by majortom71 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:58 pm

stitches wrote:About his "fatness":

He's crushing that car under all that weight!
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#192 » by sipclip » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:15 pm

erudite23 wrote:

I think there are clearly questions regarding if he is a pg. He definitely has good court vision and passing ability but to this point he hasn't shown the ability to dominate the ball and run an offense. For that to happen he has to tighten up his handle because right now it is sub par for a pg in the nba.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#193 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Exum just needs a pull up game.
erudite23
Lead Assistant

Post#194 » by erudite23 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:19 pm

sipclip wrote:
erudite23 wrote:

I think there are clearly questions regarding if he is a pg. He definitely has good court vision and passing ability but to this point he hasn't shown the ability to dominate the ball and run an offense. For that to happen he has to tighten up his handle because right now it is sub par for a pg in the nba.

I agree that it needs work. But it was a clear strength of his at lower levels of competition, which suggests it at least has a fair chance to improve as he progresses as a player. He may never become a great PG or even a good one. But given the deficiencies he has as a shooter and generally working to get open off the ball, it's far less likely that he becomes a quality SG than a quality PG.
beantownski
Bench Warmer
And1: 598

Post#195 » by beantownski » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:45 am

i think he'll be ok. i'm just glad the jazz took him to leave smart for my Cs to draft.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their
shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and
you'll have their shoes.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,405
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#196 » by E-Balla » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:58 pm

He needs an ambidextrous handle and he needs to be more aggressive. If he can fix that at his size with his speed he'll be great.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#197 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:12 pm

E-Balla wrote:He needs an ambidextrous handle and he needs to be more aggressive. If he can fix that at his size with his speed he'll be great.

been saying this the second he hit the draft radar.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
damecurry
General Manager
And1: 1,517

Post#198 » by damecurry » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:26 pm

beantownski wrote:i think he'll be ok. i'm just glad the jazz took him to leave smart for my Cs to draft.

heh, we'll see about that in 3-5-10 years from now. Smart's a good player but he does not have the tools and upside exum does.
beantownski
Bench Warmer
And1: 598

Post#199 » by beantownski » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:36 am

damecurry wrote:
beantownski wrote:i think he'll be ok. i'm just glad the jazz took him to leave smart for my Cs to draft.

heh, we'll see about that in 3-5-10 years from now. Smart's a good player but he does not have the tools and upside exum does.

smart will be a better player than exum...book it.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their
shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and
you'll have their shoes.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#200 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:27 am

E-Balla wrote:He needs an ambidextrous handle and he needs to be more aggressive. If he can fix that at his size with his speed he'll be great.

Handles are pretty tricky for most tall PGs. And that's why I like Mudiay is that he moves like a 6'3 PG despite his length.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to NBA Draft