Giannis in the 2014 draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,924

Re: Giannis in the 2014 draft 

Post#61 » by theFireBlanket » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:51 pm

Mr Sixer wrote:Anyone else think he has Marfans? I want the kid to do well don't get me wrong, but the freakish size, and especially the size of his hand in that one picture where it is as big as his face, worries me a little.

He's put on a lot of weight in just one year, while getting taller. I really doubt that he could have done that if he had Marfan syndrome.

DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#62 » by H2tObes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 pm

Also could be because he isn't done growing
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#63 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Marcus wrote:
reanimator wrote:Orlando fans:

"Giannis sucks"

"Exum sucks"

"Payton is a superstar"

:lol:

certainly seems like it.

Who said Payton will be a Superstar??? lol

All I am saying is Giannis does show flashes, but I don't see the SUPERSTAR flashes that others see. I'm sticking to Lamar Odom comparison, which isn't a bad one, but lets not act like he is the second coming of KD!!!!!!!! :banghead: :crazy:
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#64 » by CodyB_ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:10 pm

A 19 year old with length, advanced ball skills and INSTINCT, no one <25 in the NBA actually has that right now with exception to Anthony Davis.

You would be stupid not to take him number 1 in this draft. Not too mention, with his length, he doesn't need to be super quick or athletic, his peak could last until his mid 30s.

This guy is GOOD.
Don't be a jerk.
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#65 » by CodyB_ » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:12 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGvet8ILwU[/youtube]

Watch between 1 an 2 minutes. The guy blocks jumpshots after playing their guy for the drive. That's nuts.
Don't be a jerk.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#66 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:58 pm

CodyB_ wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGvet8ILwU[/youtube]

Watch between 1 an 2 minutes. The guy blocks jumpshots after playing their guy for the drive. That's nuts.

I am not knocking the kid. I said I think his best comparison is Lamar Odom which ISN'T bad!!! Man, people have quickly forgotten how good Lamar Odom was!!!

There is nothing in that video that I screams "SUPERSTAR"

This is a problem that many NBA fans have, they compare body size to talent. Just because he is long and athletic does not give you the right to be compared to KD or any other Superstar. How did that work for Anthony Randolph who "showed flashes" but never put it all together. if i remember correctly people thought he was the second coming of KG!

You would be CRAZY to take Giannis over Embiid, Jabari & Wiggins!
H2tObes
RealGM
And1: 10,022

Post#67 » by H2tObes » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:08 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:

I am not knocking the kid. I said I think his best comparison is Lamar Odom which ISN'T bad!!! Man, people have quickly forgotten how good Lamar Odom was!!!

This is a problem that many NBA fans have, they compare body size to talent. Just because he is long and athletic does not give you the right to be compared to KD or any other Superstar. How did that work for Anthony Randolph who "showed flashes" but never put it all together. if i remember correctly people thought he was the second coming of KG!

This video doesn't show his ability to dribble and pass. He can take the ball up the floor and take it to the rack for a free dunk or dish it nicely. Didn't include many of his best plays.

Many Bucks fans would take Giannis over Jabari actually, I think I would.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#68 » by RRyder823 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 12:26 am

OrlMagic05 wrote:

Honestly I get the Odom comparison and actually agree with it. The difference is I believe Giannis is going to be what Lamar Odom COULD have been if he had the right type of mental makeup. Odom had a pretty darn good career considering everything but he could've been sooooooooooooooo much better then he was if he would have only been mentally tougher. Everything about Giannis suggests he does have that mental toughness to go along with his physical gifts. He came into the league and was viewed as a HUGE project, (which is also why his rookie numbers mean nothing), to hit his "ceiling". Honestly nothings changed except for the fact that nobody expected his "ceiling" to be as high as it actually is because nobody really got to see him play outside of few times playin for a greek D2 team. He still has a ways to go but the potential to be a top player is there and that's something people just didn't get much of a chance to see prior to last years draft

A Lamar Odom that has the right type of mental makeup???? I'll take that all day and not look back from Giannis. Odom would've been great if he would've had his head screwed on strait all the time so I'll gladly accept the Odom comparison
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#69 » by OrlMagic05 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 12:40 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Honestly I get the Odom comparison and actually agree with it. The difference is I believe Giannis is going to be what Lamar Odom COULD have been if he had the right type of mental makeup. Odom had a pretty darn good career considering everything but he could've been sooooooooooooooo much better then he was if he would have only been mentally tougher. Everything about Giannis suggests he does have that mental toughness to go along with his physical gifts. He came into the league and was viewed as a HUGE project, (which is also why his rookie numbers mean nothing), to hit his "ceiling". Honestly nothings changed except for the fact that nobody expected his "ceiling" to be as high as it actually is because nobody really got to see him play outside of few times playin for a greek D2 team. He still has a ways to go but the potential to be a top player is there and that's something people just didn't get much of a chance to see prior to last years draft

A Lamar Odom that has the right type of mental makeup???? I'll take that all day and not look back from Giannis. Odom would've been great if he would've had his head screwed on strait all the time so I'll gladly accept the Odom comparison

Very well said, I just don't like the KD comparisons. Those really bother me, because KD will be a top 10 player when his career is done. Not saying Giannis can't be that good, but it is far less realistic.

It also erks me a little when people rate him over guys like Noel and Oladipo. I think these two guys can be VERY special, but don't get the same recognition that Giannis gets.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayF4IGyNAjU[/youtube]

You can't watch that and honestly say Giannis should have been picked ahead of VO... Thats just me I guess.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#70 » by RRyder823 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:31 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Very well said, I just don't like the KD comparisons. Those really bother me, because KD will be a top 10 player when his career is done. Not saying Giannis can't be that good, but it is far less realistic.

It also erks me a little when people rate him over guys like Noel and Oladipo. I think these two guys can be VERY special, but don't get the same recognition that Giannis gets.

You can't watch that and honestly say Giannis should have been picked ahead of VO... Thats just me I guess.

Honestly if there was a redraft your right it would be Giannis, Noel and Oladipo going in the top 3. I really like Oladipo but still think I'd take Giannis simply for the fact I believe he has a higher ceiling. More bust potential also but I'd roll the dice on Giannis over him, I am a Bucks fan after all. Noel while I think if he stays healthy is going to be a pretty darn good player it's also the same type of situation. He has the ability to be a defensive anchor but I don't see him having the potential to be the type of guy that could carry a team to a chip. Once again I'm rolling the dice on Giannis while he could be the worse of the three players mentioned he could also be the best by a significant margin.

In terms of if you added those 3 to this past draft I'd put Giannis as the most likely to crack the top 3 just based on his potential. Wiggins went #1 based solely on his physical gifts. Combine the physical gifts of Giannis with the feel for the game he's shown,(which lets be real Wiggins hasn't), and I really do think he's a better prospect then Wiggins..... I'm also not a huge believer in Wiggins so i'll admit im talking out of both sides of my mouth a bit.

If talking about last years draft i'll more then readily agree that Oladipo is farther along then Giannis and Noel probably is also at this point but if we're talking strait "potential" and "ceiling ", which are dirty words that get coach's and gm's fired, I'd take Giannis over both of them. Won't argue though with a magic fan rating Oladipo higher though... I do really like him... 76er fans rating Noel higher then either of them at this point as prospects??? Well that's a different story
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#71 » by OrlMagic05 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:52 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

Honestly if there was a redraft your right it would be Giannis, Noel and Oladipo going in the top 3. I really like Oladipo but still think I'd take Giannis simply for the fact I believe he has a higher ceiling. More bust potential also but I'd roll the dice on Giannis over him, I am a Bucks fan after all. Noel while I think if he stays healthy is going to be a pretty darn good player it's also the same type of situation. He has the ability to be a defensive anchor but I don't see him having the potential to be the type of guy that could carry a team to a chip. Once again I'm rolling the dice on Giannis while he could be the worse of the three players mentioned he could also be the best by a significant margin.

In terms of if you added those 3 to this past draft I'd put Giannis as the most likely to crack the top 3 just based on his potential. Wiggins went #1 based solely on his physical gifts. Combine the physical gifts of Giannis with the feel for the game he's shown,(which lets be real Wiggins hasn't), and I really do think he's a better prospect then Wiggins..... I'm also not a huge believer in Wiggins so i'll admit im talking out of both sides of my mouth a bit.

If talking about last years draft i'll more then readily agree that Oladipo is farther along then Giannis and Noel probably is also at this point but if we're talking strait "potential" and "ceiling ", which are dirty words that get coach's and gm's fired, I'd take Giannis over both of them. Won't argue though with a magic fan rating Oladipo higher though... I do really like him... 76er fans rating Noel higher then either of them at this point as prospects??? Well that's a different story

I guess we will have to see in the next few years. I think a lot of people will be shocked this year with the numbers Oladipo puts up.

Return to NBA Draft