Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,062

Re: Giannis in the 2014 draft 

Post#21 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:46 pm

BizGilwalker wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Biz Gilwalker wrote:Philly probably takes him at #3 because the fit is incredible and he wouldn't be contributing to wins (ruining the übertank) until 2015 or 2016 anyway.

If not, then he'd certainly be gone at #6 to the Celtics no questions asked.

i can agree with Philly possibly taking him but i think if they didn't Orlando would have taken him 4th.

Orlando was dead-set on drafting Aaron Gordon for some reason though. Plus they've already got Oladipo, Harris, Harkless. I would have done it, but I don't know if Orlando does. That Hennigan dude's been acting weird lately.

Hennigan was acting weird when he traded Dwight for "scrubs". How did that turn out?

Hennigan was acting weird when he traded JJ for an unknown Tobais Harris. How did that turn out?

Hennigan has yet to fail the Magic yet, so lets give him the benifit of the doubt until then.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#22 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Marcus wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Yeah Double Zero looks like a serious project in Orlando. good thing they have passable depth ahead of him though to allow for that development time.

I do agree that Gordon is going to be a project, but if he reaches his full potential he can be a very scary player. Remember, just like Giannis when he was drafted, he is 18 years old!! Lets give him a year or two.

what do you see Gordon being IF he reaches his full potential? how far do you see him progressing in "a year or two"?

I think Gordon will take at least two years to be an NBA quality starter, however, if he reaches his full potential I see him being a super athletic version of Shawn Marion (not todays Shawn Marion).
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#23 » by Marcus » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:40 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
I do agree that Gordon is going to be a project, but if he reaches his full potential he can be a very scary player. Remember, just like Giannis when he was drafted, he is 18 years old!! Lets give him a year or two.

what do you see Gordon being IF he reaches his full potential? how far do you see him progressing in "a year or two"?

I think Gordon will take at least two years to be an NBA quality starter, however, if he reaches his full potential I see him being a super athletic version of Shawn Marion (not todays Shawn Marion).

i think he has a chance at being an asset right now if Jacque can get him to buy into reeling it in a little and just doing what's asked.

Aaron will be fine as soon as he gets that "gotta prove something" mentality out of head and just learn how to play NBA ball first.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#24 » by GopherIt! » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:00 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:Maybe because they liked Payton more than Exum?? They both have VERY similar strengths and weakness, so why pick up Exum at 4 when you could take Gordon at 4 and Payton at 12 (really 10).

Exum has both a better upside and a higher floor. Payton has a much higher probability of being a reserve/marginal starter. Gordon's upside is as a 6th man. Love Dipo but your GM outsmarted himself this time around.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:12 pm

GopherIt! wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:Maybe because they liked Payton more than Exum?? They both have VERY similar strengths and weakness, so why pick up Exum at 4 when you could take Gordon at 4 and Payton at 12 (really 10).

Exum has both a better upside and a higher floor. Payton has a much higher probability of being a reserve/marginal starter. Gordon's upside is as a 6th man. Love Dipo but your GM outsmarted himself this time around.

How do you know Exum has both better upside and a higher floor? We haven't seen much from him and if we are basing this off summer league (which we shouldnt) Payton outplayed Exum in EVERY category. Gordon is very raw right now but to say his upside is a 6th man is a little much. What has Hennigan done wrong to date? Don't say this draft, because we don't know how ANYONE is going to turn out. Who would have thought MCW woud be the ROY last year.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by OrlMagic05 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:16 pm

GopherIt! wrote:

http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014 ... video.html

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/elfrid-p ... ft-profile

Strengths and Weakness look pretty similar to me... The one thing that Dante has over Payton is HYPE!
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#27 » by AQuintus » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:09 am

Marcus wrote:what do you see Gordon being IF he reaches his full potential?

Josh Smith with elite intangibles and BBIQ.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#28 » by bigboi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:20 am

AQuintus wrote:
Marcus wrote:what do you see Gordon being IF he reaches his full potential?

Josh Smith with elite intangibles and BBIQ.

Idk, that's kind of pushing it. That'd be a top 10 player easily. I'd say a slightly lesser version of Marion is the ceiling
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#29 » by bigboi » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:23 am

GopherIt! wrote:

Payton has a much higher floor and a higher ceiling too. I can see Payton being a taller Rondo if everything works out while Exum would become Leandro Barbosa 2.0
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#30 » by reanimator » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:26 am

bigboi wrote:
GopherIt! wrote:

Payton has a much higher floor and a higher ceiling too. I can see Payton being a taller Rondo if everything works out while Exum would become Leandro Barbosa 2.0

Lazy.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#31 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:55 am

I'd take him 2nd, after wiggins. Giannis was the best player on Milwaukee's summer league team, and dear god, even if the numbers saw something else, just watch this kid play. He is incredible.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#32 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:58 am

GopherIt! wrote:

i wouldnt say exum has a higher floor. Exum doesnt put forth effort defensively and wasnt terribly productive in the summer league. I'd say he has a higher ceiling though.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#33 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:02 am

Marcus wrote:

More athletic, shorter andrei kirilenko.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,122

Post#34 » by GopherIt! » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:07 am

OrlMagic05 wrote:How do you know Exum has both better upside and a higher floor?.

Research. Research. Research.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#35 » by ColdBlooded » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:25 am

GopherIt! wrote:

Sam Hinkie crew.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#36 » by OrlMagic05 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:06 pm

GopherIt! wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:How do you know Exum has both better upside and a higher floor?.

What research? Lol he played in Australia and there aren't that many videos on him either. So either you live Australia and watched him play live or you're full of it lol.

His sample size is too small!
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#37 » by Mr Sixer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:41 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
GopherIt! wrote:

What research? Lol he played in Australia and there aren't that many videos on him either. So either you live Australia and watched him play live or you're full of it lol.

Apparently other draft experts agree with him. Exum in no way went in the top 5 because of hype and Hennigan would trade Payton for Exum in a heartbeat.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by OrlMagic05 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Mr Sixer wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
GopherIt! wrote:

Apparently other draft experts agree with him. Exum in no way went in the top 5 because of hype and Hennigan would trade Payton for Exum in a heartbeat.

Kinda like the experts that predicted Darko to go 2nd? If Hennigan really wanted Exum he would have drafted him. He must have saw something in Payton that impressed him more than Exum.

Hennigan has drafted extremely well since he has taken over. He found a very servicable big man with 49th pick in Kyle O'Quinn.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#39 » by Mr Sixer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:17 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
Mr Sixer wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Kinda like the experts that predicted Darko to go 2nd? If Hennigan really wanted Exum he would have drafted him. He must have saw something in Payton that impressed him more than Exum.

Hennigan has drafted extremely well since he has taken over. He found a very servicable big man with 49th pick in Kyle O'Quinn.

Pointing out statistical anomalies doesn't make you right.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by OrlMagic05 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:26 pm

Mr Sixer wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
Mr Sixer wrote:

Pointing out statistical anomalies doesn't make you right.

My points is, experts aren't always correct!

If Hennigan would trade Payton for Exum in a heartbeat, why would he not just... you know... draft Exum??

We shouldn't base anything off summer league, but this was Exum's first time against NBA level competition and he played terrible, where as Payton nearly had 3 triple doubles and led all summer league players in assists.

Return to NBA Draft