Mudiay with academic issues, heading to China?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Re: Mudiay with academic issues, heading to China? 

Post#21 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Mudiay is a lot more John Wall than he is Andrew Harrison.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#22 » by Upperclass » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:44 pm

I change my mind. He's going to be a beast. I dont see PG in him.. but after watching some of his game clips.. He will be a tough guard in the NBA.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#23 » by miltk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:50 pm

if a hs player is going to hone his skills overseas, do it in europe not china
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#24 » by LloydFree » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:11 pm

miltk wrote:if a hs player is going to hone his skills overseas, do it in europe not china

They won't play him in Europe. He'll sit the bench behind veterans, be forgotten and hurt his draft stock. In China, he'll score 2O ppg and get 7 apg and maintain his status as a top 5 pick.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#25 » by Cammo101 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:13 pm

LloydFree wrote:
miltk wrote:if a hs player is going to hone his skills overseas, do it in europe not china

They won't plat him in Europe. He'll sit the bench behind veterans, be forgotten and hurt his draft stock. In China, he'll score 2O ppg and get 7 apg and maintain his status as a top 5 pick.

And he will make more money in China as well.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#26 » by EMG518 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:33 pm

I dont think outside of an injury or something extreme happenning that anything will affect his draft stock. He is a top talent in the draft and enough people know it.
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by miltk » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:39 pm

LloydFree wrote:

They won't play him in Europe. He'll sit the bench behind veterans, be forgotten and hurt his draft stock. In China, he'll score 2O ppg and get 7 apg and maintain his status as a top 5 pick.

it didn't drain jennings' stock and his euro stint wasn't good. scouts all have a preconceived idea about a #1 player they've invested time in scouting
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#28 » by LloydFree » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:59 pm

miltk wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

it didn't drain jennings' stock and his euro stint wasn't good. scouts all have a preconceived idea about a #1 player they've invested time in scouting

I don't know that it didn't hurt his stock. He went 10th, while he was a top 3 HS player. And some were surprised he went that high in the draft.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#29 » by Marcus » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:03 am

EMG518 wrote:I dont think outside of an injury or something extreme happenning that anything will affect his draft stock. He is a top talent in the draft and enough people know it.

In this draft his stock could take a solid hit with him hiding out in China. I know he doesn't have much of a choice. But a solid season from the pleathora of bigs slated to be drafted this year could give his top five slot a nudge i think.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by miltk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:05 am

LloydFree wrote:
miltk wrote:
LloydFree wrote:They won't play him in Europe. He'll sit the bench behind veterans, be forgotten and hurt his draft stock. In China, he'll score 2O ppg and get 7 apg and maintain his status as a top 5 pick.

I don't know that it didn't hurt his stock. He went 10th, while he was a top 3 HS player. And some were surprised he went that high in the draft.

looking back on the draft http://www.nba.com/history/draft/2009-draft/index.html , i don't think jenning slipped. remarkably, there were mostly "seasoned" players ahead of him who had tools the nba covets.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#31 » by MemphisX » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 am

People were shocked he went that high though and he skipped out on being in MSG until he heard his name called. He wasn't even invited to the green room.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
miltk
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by miltk » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 am

MemphisX wrote:People were shocked he went that high though and he skipped out on being in MSG until he heard his name called. He wasn't even invited to the green room.

yeah, he could have just as likely switched with jrue. jrue was expected to be drafted and when they chose jennings, no team drafted a pg until jrue
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#33 » by EricAnderson » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:58 am

ColdBlooded wrote:Wow.
He's still going to be a lottery pick if he decides to play overseas, so getting paid and avoiding any trouble with the NCAA over academic issues seems like the ideal plan.

His size for PG + Athleticism will keep him on top of draft boards whether he plays college basketball or not next season, only an injury can really alter anything.

Will be a bit of a bummer for CBB fans like myself who wont get a chance to watch him play if he does play overseas, though.

I'm kinda disappointed too but at smu we probably wouldn't see him much in the regular season anyway not like their on national tv alot
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Marcus » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:22 am

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on- ... t?v=1&vc=1

Wonder what this means for the rest of the kids coming out of there.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#35 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:43 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/491590238968758272[/tweet]

Looks like it's official. I don't have a problem with him skipping the college route but going to China seems like a bad idea.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Marcus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:57 pm

Nolan wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/491590238968758272[/tweet]

Looks like it's official. I don't have a problem with him skipping the college route but going to China seems like a bad idea.

I think China would be the only spot overseas where he would be pretty much guaranteed a feature spot. The Euro teams won't even play their own young prospects over the vets over there talent be damned. So Manny more than likely wouldn't get any burn or look bad doing it ala B. Jennings. China was probably the best place to do it if he had to.
Watch More Basketball

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Post#37 » by Nolan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:03 pm

Marcus wrote:
Nolan wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/491590238968758272[/tweet]

I think China would be the only spot overseas where he would be pretty much guaranteed a feature spot. The Euro teams won't even play their own young prospects over the vets over there talent be damned. So Manny more than likely wouldn't get any burn or look bad doing it ala B. Jennings. China was probably the best place to do it if he had to.

That's true but things didn't exactly work out badly for Jennings either.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#38 » by ManualRam » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:10 pm

1.2 mill, 1 yr and he'll likely get a ton of minutes? he won.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by Marcus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Nolan wrote:
Marcus wrote:

That's true but things didn't exactly work out badly for Jennings either.

yeah like someone mentioned earlier Manny is/was on enough radars to get a look come draft day regardless im sure. I still think the exposure that this crop of bigs will receive might boost them over Manny just due to out of sight out of mind but Manny should still be the 1st PG off the board unless Tyus is spectacular or somebody else sneaks in and looks marvelous.
Watch More Basketball

Joel Embust
Head Coach
And1: 3,055

Post#40 » by Joel Embust » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:30 pm

All he cares about is becoming eligible for the draft and he's making money in the process so winner winner chicken dinner for Mudiay.

Return to NBA Draft