Mudiay with academic issues, heading to China?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Mudiay with academic issues, heading to China? 

Post#1 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:29 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--n ... 48029.html

he nation's No. 1 high school guard, Southern Methodist University signee Emmanuel Mudiay of Dallas, has been considering hiring an agent and taking a job playing overseas next season, sources told Yahoo Sports.

No decision has yet been reached on how Muiday will proceed, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Mudiay, an explosive 6-foot-5 guard, has been projected as a lottery pick in the 2015 NBA draft. The Chinese Basketball Association has been discussed as a possible destination for Mudiay, a native of the Congo.

Mudiay has had ongoing conversations with SMU coach Larry Brown and university officials about his ability to become academically eligible to play his freshman year, sources told Yahoo Sports. Mudiay has wanted to play for the Hall of Fame coach at his hometown school, but there are concerns about the NCAA clearing him to play for the 2014-15 season, sources said.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Re: Mudiay with academic issues, heading to China? 

Post#2 » by ColdBlooded » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Wow.
He's still going to be a lottery pick if he decides to play overseas, so getting paid and avoiding any trouble with the NCAA over academic issues seems like the ideal plan.

His size for PG + Athleticism will keep him on top of draft boards whether he plays college basketball or not next season, only an injury can really alter anything.

Will be a bit of a bummer for CBB fans like myself who wont get a chance to watch him play if he does play overseas, though.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#3 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:45 pm

CBS reporters are saying that this isn't just a possibility, it's happening, he's not playing in the NCAA.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#4 » by kennydorglas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:00 pm

Actually, it's amateurism issues.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#5 » by Talent Chaser » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Good for him; anyone bypassing NCAA basketball so they don't get ripped off is okay in my book. Even regardless of the reason. Reports are he was already admitted to SMU so it was about financially providing for his mother. Nothing wrong with that. I personally have him as the #1 prospect in the class right now so I'll be bummed to not watch his as much, but it's a smart decision.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#6 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:46 pm

craziness. hopefully it doesn't hurt his stock come June.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#7 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:Good for him; anyone bypassing NCAA basketball so they don't get ripped off is okay in my book. Even regardless of the reason. Reports are he was already admitted to SMU so it was about financially providing for his mother. Nothing wrong with that. I personally have him as the #1 prospect in the class right now so I'll be bummed to not watch his as much, but it's a smart decision.

that sounds like spin. the ncaa was investigating his amateur status and recruitment. they likely found something big that mudiay could not deny. i wonder if the ncaa will just drop their investigation. maybe smu "enticed" him or maybe it had to do with him receiving benefits at his sham of a prep school.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#8 » by reanimator » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Why not sit out?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#9 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:26 pm

reanimator wrote:Why not sit out?

just sit out the year then declare?
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#10 » by Upperclass » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:33 pm

This dude is so overrated
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#11 » by reanimator » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 pm

ManualRam wrote:

It worked for Exum?
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#12 » by noobcake » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Basically Andrew Harrison meets Andrew Wiggins. Trash prospect.

All athleticism, no skill, jumps high, dunks hard. Both Andrews were exposed in college. Harrison tanked. Wiggins hype stayed the same.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:44 pm

noobcake wrote:Basically Andrew Harrison meets Andrew Wiggins. Trash prospect.

All athleticism, no skill, jumps high, dunks hard. Both Andrews were exposed in college. Harrison tanked. Wiggins hype stayed the same.

you talk out of your ass a lot.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#14 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:47 pm

reanimator wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

It worked for Exum?

exum had like half a yr to sit out. he was in school until the end of the calendar yr. mudiay would be sitting out the entire yr, from whenever his HS season ended until the 2015 pre-draft stuff starts.
i mean, that is an option, but if he has an opportunity to make money now i'd have no problem with him doing that.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#15 » by noobcake » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:50 pm

ManualRam wrote:

Except I'm almost always right. Find me a post I made on NBA Draft forum about a prospect that I have been wrong about. Oh wait, you can't :lol:

When I watch video footage/games, I sometimes identify players I really dislike. When I feel strongly about a player, I'm almost 100% right (search my post history for 100% statements on Rubio, Irving, Williams, Bennett, Zeller, McLemore, MKG, Beal, Davis, Waiters, Robinson. The only player that I have missed on in recent history is Lillard.)
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#16 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:54 pm

noobcake wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

Except I'm almost always right. Find me a post I made on NBA Draft forum about a prospect that I have been wrong about. Oh wait, you can't :lol:

When I watch video footage/games, I sometimes identify players I really dislike. I've been 100% on Rubio, Irving, Williams, Bennett, Zeller, McLemore, MKG, Beal, Davis, Waiters, Robinson. The only player that I have missed on in recent history if Lillard.

i've seen enough of your posts to not bother looking up your post history. what you described isn't mudiay. yeah, he's athletic but he has a more patient, distributing approach than most uber-athletic points. a.harrison he ain't. he's not even HS version of john wall in terms of approach. he's made serious strides in terms of picking his spots...nvm. i don't know what i am doing responding to you.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Upperclass » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:59 pm

I dont wanna get in a back in forth either. But imo, he's not even uber athletic. His foot quickness is lacking, he has good vision because he towers over his slower reacting/smaller h.s. opponents.. but he's no passing wiz. And his athleticism is based on being a high leaper.. He's kinda heavy-legged imo. Reminds me of a taller Myck Kabongo. I just.. i dont see the love.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Upperclass wrote:I dont wanna get in a back in forth either. But imo, he's not even uber athletic. His foot quickness is lacking, he has good vision because he towers over his slower reacting/smaller h.s. opponents.. but he's no passing wiz. And his athleticism is based on being a high leaper.. He's kinda heavy-legged imo. Reminds me of a taller Myck Kabongo. I just.. i dont see the love.

he's not jitterbug quick. he doesn't have to be because he's 6'5.
his athleticism is based on his speed in the open court for a PG of his size. he's faster than, for example, harrison. quicker first step too with similar size. kabongo's issue was never speed or quickness. his issues are body strength and shooting.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Upperclass
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Upperclass » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Fair enough. I guess I was referring to stylistically. They look very similar. The handle.. the way they deliver passes etc. Though, he could also end up like Tyreke. Their gait mirrors one another.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#20 » by ManualRam » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:43 pm

Upperclass wrote:Fair enough. I guess I was referring to stylistically. They look very similar. The handle.. the way they deliver passes etc. Though, he could also end up like Tyreke. Their gait mirrors one another.

to me explosion is explosion. you watch guys like tyreke, stephenson, evan turner, a.harrison and you see their lack of explosiveness in the paint and you also see their lack of explosiveness from standstill, which is why they're so dependent on their handle, pounding the rock to gain an advantage as opposed to just exploding. there are some technical aspects that can impact a player's first step. such as lack of strength, high center of gravity or lack of ball skill. mudiay shows his explosiveness at the rim and he has none of those latter weaknesses.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft