Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Thon Maker 

Post#21 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:I'm all over these prospect discussion threads and i def have to stamp this. thon maker is not a generational talent. he is worst than chris walker. his genetics wont allow him to grow into the prospect we all envision back at lucas' camp.
The footspeed/ball handeling isn't there. he wont get double doubles for the rest of his life. and its not like he is jab stepping, one dribble yamming on anybody. he looks terrible vs legit commp

there is vid of him vs diallo, given diallo is older. bu tmaker looks out of place. reminds me of ater majok lol

Thon is talented and does have high skill but his development is all wrong with the outside in and not the other way around as it should be with somebody with his size.

I like the fact he can put the ball on the floor and everything but he doesn't have the quicks to be this KD clone he's seems to be attempting to be. Seems to have gotten away from it somewhat and finally headed to the block to be more effective and its coming along headed towards more KG than KD.

I think the problem there is that im not sure he's gonna be able to put on any real size to bang like he will need to at the NBA level. If that's always gonna be the case with him then he's more than likely not gonna reach the heights most people have for him.

I really really want the kid to put on the weight he needs to put on so he can have his best shot at succeeding because he plays hard and there is a lot there to mold and develop with his game.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#22 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:29 pm

Marcus wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:I'm all over these prospect discussion threads and i def have to stamp this. thon maker is not a generational talent. he is worst than chris walker. his genetics wont allow him to grow into the prospect we all envision back at lucas' camp.
The footspeed/ball handeling isn't there. he wont get double doubles for the rest of his life. and its not like he is jab stepping, one dribble yamming on anybody. he looks terrible vs legit commp

there is vid of him vs diallo, given diallo is older. bu tmaker looks out of place. reminds me of ater majok lol

Thon is talented and does have high skill but he's development is all wrong with the outside in and not the other way around as it should be with somebody with his size.

I like the fact he can put the ball on the floor and everything but he doesn't have the quicks to be this KD clone he's seems to be attempting to be. Seems to have gotten away from it somewhat and finally headed to the block to be more effective and its coming along headed towards more KG than KD.

I think the problem there is that im not sure he's gonna be able to put on any real size to bang like he will need to at the NBA level. If that's always gonna be the case with him then he's more than likely not gonna reach the heights most people have for him.

I really really want the kid to put on the weight he needs to put on so he can have his best shot at succeeding because he plays hard and there is a lot there to mold and develop with his game.

he should just focus on becoming an ELITE shooter, and above average on defense. thats it. he isn't like a harry giles, who looks like a rich mans bosh.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#23 » by No-Man » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:57 am

He is nothing special.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#24 » by ManualRam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:10 am

well, he is 7' plus with coordination and fluidity. i wouldn't call that "nothing special."
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#25 » by BoutPractice » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:25 am

I'm sorry, but he is the very definition of special as ManualRam just says. Does he need to be 7'3 and sink 50% of his half court shots as well? He may never put it together but he's clearly a high potential player.

As for the weight, it's a non-issue. He's 17, and KG, AD, were thin as can be at the same age (the problem when comparing prospects with established players is that we forget these too were once prospects). Strength is overrated for bigs and underrated for guards. I'd rather have a quick big and a strong guard than the other way around.

What do we know about his work ethic / desire / personality?
No-Man
RealGM

Post#26 » by No-Man » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:07 pm

ManualRam wrote:well, he is 7' plus with coordination and fluidity. i wouldn't call that "nothing special."

I just don't know how useful is he in todays ball.
I dont see the guy as a star or generational talent, he lacks either strength/explosiveness to be that as a post player, or quickness/ability as a perimeter talent.
saying that, I dont see him being an impressive role player either, what is he going to be elite at? defense? protecting the paint? shooting and playing off the ball... I just dont see the hype at all.

At least Towns got trunk legs and have a back to the basket game, I have my doubts, but if his knees hold I can see him being a more perimeter oriented version of Bynum, he has some Okur in his game also.

But Maker? I dont know, at least Bender was extremely athletic, before the knees injuries, the more I watch him, the more I get a Perry Jones vibe from him, his motor is a little bit better, and his shot, but still, I just dont see the hype.

He's 7'0/1 so he will make it, and he can shoot the ball, plus being coordinated, but Im not impressed.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant

Post#27 » by Zombiesonics » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:48 pm

ManualRam wrote:well, he is 7' plus with coordination and fluidity. i wouldn't call that "nothing special."

coordination and fluidity are not thon maker.he was a great prospect in like middle school, then he physically/athletically didn't reach his peers. not a natural born athlete
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Marcus » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:26 pm

BoutPractice wrote:What do we know about his work ethic / desire / personality?

the reports are that he's a hard working kid, he seems like a good kid in his interviews, and when you watch him play his motor isn't at all a question. I don't doubt he has the desire and the drive and the skillset. Size is the issue and seems like it always will be with Thon. The thing with the ADs and KGs of the world is that they had a build that looked like it could support more weight. they'd never be huge guys but they'd have adequate size and that's been proven in both cases. Genetically Thon doesn't appear to have that. Those legs don't look like they'll support much more in the lbs department and he looks like he's gonna always be around that size which isn't gonna help especially considering as mentioned before he isn't a lightning quick guy.

He's got time since he's young and with the right regimen maybe there's hope. We'll see.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#29 » by ManualRam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Fischella wrote:

I just don't know how useful is he in todays ball.
I dont see the guy as a star or generational talent, he lacks either strength/explosiveness to be that as a post player, or quickness/ability as a perimeter talent.
saying that, I dont see him being an impressive role player either, what is he going to be elite at? defense? protecting the paint? shooting and playing off the ball... I just dont see the hype at all.

At least Towns got trunk legs and have a back to the basket game, I have my doubts, but if his knees hold I can see him being a more perimeter oriented version of Bynum, he has some Okur in his game also.

But Maker? I dont know, at least Bender was extremely athletic, before the knees injuries, the more I watch him, the more I get a Perry Jones vibe from him, his motor is a little bit better, and his shot, but still, I just dont see the hype.

He's 7'0/1 so he will make it, and he can shoot the ball, plus being coordinated, but Im not impressed.

towns does not have trunk legs or a back to the basket game either. his disproportionate legs (relative to his upper body) are actually what would scare me. he looks like a knee injury waiting to happen.

if you don't get the hype, fine. im not a believer either, but he is fluid, coordinated and he's 7 foot plus. that is not common. he's no isaiah austin here. not many 7 footers can change ends and play in the open court like that. he doesn't look uncoordinated shooting the ball from range, nor does he look awkward putting the ball on the deck. is he more perry jones? could be, but in perry's case, even if i never liked him as a prospect i never denied his talent.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#30 » by ManualRam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:16 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:

coordination and fluidity are not thon maker.he was a great prospect in like middle school, then he physically/athletically didn't reach his peers. not a natural born athlete

yeah, actually they are. do you realize how most 7' foot plus players move?
you cannot watch how a 7'er like him make open court plays and tell me is not an athlete.
is he an amazing athlete? no, but he's 7'. he doesn't have to be, yet he's athletic enough to move well in open space and he's coordinated enough to NOT have the ball skills of a typical 7'er.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#31 » by EMG518 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:32 pm

Kind of crazy to me people would be so low on him. Looks like the best prospect out of the 2015 and 2016 class to me.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#32 » by No-Man » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:47 pm

EMG518 wrote:Kind of crazy to me people would be so low on him. Looks like the best prospect out of the 2015 and 2016 class to me.

No he is not, at least Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Derryck Thornton, Dennis Smith, Ivan Rabb, Malik Newman, Diamond Stone, Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, Malik Monk, Ray Smith, look like guys with higher pro potential.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Zombiesonics » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:05 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:

you cannot watch how a 7'er like him make open court plays and tell me is not an athlete.
is he an amazing athlete? no, but he's 7'. he doesn't have to be, yet he's athletic enough to move well in open space and he's coordinated enough to NOT have the ball skills of a typical 7'er.

Open court plays in the circuit are meaningless, as you touted in a discussing drummond. He could be like gorgi deng i guess. like compare how he (maker )moves to a young brandon wright, the later looked like a thoroughbred.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#34 » by ManualRam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:

Open court plays in the circuit are meaningless, as you touted in a discussing drummond. He could be like gorgi deng i guess. like compare how he (maker )moves to a young brandon wright, the later looked like a thoroughbred.

open court play is a mark of athleticism.
he's not like gorgui dieng or brandan wright either. he's a finesse player who's potential will be largely tied to how good of a shooter he can become. if he can become a legitimate threat from the outside, he does have the mobility to attack closeouts, face up and play in space.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM

Post#35 » by No-Man » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:28 pm

I understand your points MR, but what does that mean at pro level? if you dont believe in him as a star or generational talent, like you didnt with PJIII, which role do you foresee for him in the league? as you say, he is more of a finesse guy, he doesnt have the body to bang nor to defend certain guys at his position, is he going to be a role player, a stretch four? I dont really see him (yet) as a knockdown shooter, is he going to be a more athletic CFrye? Frye at least got more strength, and size, to defend inside a bit, 1on1.

I just dont see who is he going to be in the pros, many players are like that, if they lack a skill to be a star talent, they have troubles adjusting into role players, or in traslading their games into possitive impact for getting wins (and yes, Greg Monroe I'm talking about you).

Is he a back-up then? why so much talking about a guy like that then, where is the reason for all the talking? all the hype? I understand when he first became to be known, but after a few years, I dont get it anymore, at least for the pros, not talking about him as a college player.

Self is good with big men, lets see if he ends up in KU, I guess a better shooting version of Perry Jones that has a more consistent effort or motor is not that terrible though.
Or Jason Thompson.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#36 » by Marcus » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:55 pm

EMG518 wrote:Kind of crazy to me people would be so low on him. Looks like the best prospect out of the 2015 and 2016 class to me.

Watch more Jaylen Brown.
Watch More Basketball

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#37 » by ManualRam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:24 pm

Fischella wrote:I understand your points MR, but what does that mean at pro level? if you dont believe in him as a star or generational talent, like you didnt with PJIII, which role do you foresee for him in the league? as you say, he is more of a finesse guy, he doesnt have the body to bang nor to defend certain guys at his position, is he going to be a role player, a stretch four? I dont really see him (yet) as a knockdown shooter, is he going to be a more athletic CFrye? Frye at least got more strength, and size, to defend inside a bit, 1on1.

I just dont see who is he going to be in the pros, many players are like that, if they lack a skill to be a star talent, they have troubles adjusting into role players, or in traslading their games into possitive impact for getting wins (and yes, Greg Monroe I'm talking about you).

Is he a back-up then? why so much talking about a guy like that then, where is the reason for all the talking? all the hype? I understand when he first became to be known, but after a few years, I dont get it anymore, at least for the pros, not talking about him as a college player.

Self is good with big men, lets see if he ends up in KU, I guess a better shooting version of Perry Jones that has a more consistent effort or motor is not that terrible though.
Or Jason Thompson.

i didn't rule out him becoming a star. the players with talent who i tend to rule out early as ever becoming stars are the players who don't really look like they know what they're doing, don't have stand out physical attributes and/or are slow to develop skill. i think his potential is high. kids with his combination of height, length, fluidity and coordination have all the potential in the world. he's not a dolt just getting by on his size. he has shown improvement. he has shown an improved skill level and in athleticism as well. he looks comfortable shooting the ball. he looks comfortable making moves in the open floor. he does try to incorporate things like jab steps, fakes, spins and step backs to create space, etc.

the tools are there for him to be a skilled face up 4 with mobility and length on defense. how good? idk
he's shown an ability to learn and get better in a short period of time so he has that going for him. can he be as an effective shooter as a l.aldridge? probably not with his release point, but he does show better ball skill and fluidity on drives...same goes for him being compared to c.frye. as far as comparing him to perry, i see some similarities, but perry has always been a "floater." he coasted through HS and college never looking to impose himself. thon actually does play with a little fire in him and does seek to impose himself, which sometimes results in some questionable shots, but you won't mistake thon for being passive.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,270

Post#38 » by babyjax13 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:19 pm

I like the Okur comparison. Maker seems to have quite a bit more quickness, and will probably have less strength. If he can develop his shot to be as reliable as Memo's or David West, you are looking at a really interesting player.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
EMG518
Veteran

Post#39 » by EMG518 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:22 pm

Marcus wrote:

Watch more Jaylen Brown.

I have seen him plenty, I have him rated as the top wing prospect out of the 2015 and 2016 class.
EMG518
Veteran

Post#40 » by EMG518 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 pm

Fischella wrote:

No he is not, at least Josh Jackson, Harry Giles, Derryck Thornton, Dennis Smith, Ivan Rabb, Malik Newman, Diamond Stone, Ben Simmons, Jaylen Brown, Malik Monk, Ray Smith, look like guys with higher pro potential.

No he doesnt look like the best prospect in the 2015 and 2016 class to me? Lol. Youre entitled to your opinion, I like alot of the guys you named but Thon looks like the best prospect to me. I honestly dont understand how someone can watch him and not have him highly regarded though.

Return to NBA Draft