Most likely going to be better Wiggins or Noel?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Wiggins or Noel?

Noel
35%
Wiggins
65%

Total votes: 124

MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Re: Most likely going to be better Wiggins or Noel? 

Post#41 » by MinneOOPalis » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:32 pm

What? The sixers were trying to trade up to get him all throughout the draft process. Are your memories that bad?
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#42 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:02 am

Sakuragi_ wrote:What? The sixers were trying to trade up to get him all throughout the draft process. Are your memories that bad?

They were? Please provide your sources. Adrian Wojnarowski said that was untrue. The Cavs GM said that was untrue. So please provide your sources that stated the Sixers were trying to trade up for Wiggins. Again Embiid was the best prospect in the draft. The Sixers got the the top prospect. We Sixer fans are very happy with Embiid. Most Sixer fans wanted Embiid. It was a major win for the Sixers to get Embiid.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#43 » by rumdiary » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 pm

Wiggins.

In my opinion it's not really close.

I feel like Wiggins will be a small forward with a similar career to Kevin Garnett (not just because he's starting in Minnesota).

I feel like Noel will be like Marcus Camby: a solid starter his whole career but nothing more.

So it's like Kevin Garnett vs Marcus Camby in my book. Easy answer.

(disclaimer: note that I in no way said that Wiggins game is similar to Garnett, only his career trajectory)
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,710

Post#44 » by AussieBuck » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:40 am

Noel for me. Looks like a DPOY or three in his future.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#45 » by miltk » Sun Nov 9, 2014 2:02 am

the way it looks right now, wiggs isn't even harrison barnes
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#46 » by Big_C_KU » Sun Nov 9, 2014 5:33 am

miltk wrote:the way it looks right now, wiggs isn't even harrison barnes

?

In one week Wiggins did more than what Barnes did in his 1st week. Shown better creating skills with the driving and step back than Barnes ever showed. Also shown better defense than Barnes has shown in his entire career.

Wiggins has actually shown a lot of good things in his 1st week. The biggest things for him to improve is his aggressiveness on offense and his strength which driving and defending the post.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#47 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:54 pm

I think Wiggins has the potential to be better. He could gain enough weight and play position 2,3 and 4 (much like Paul George). Look, realistically he's a 6'8 shooting guard (even though he's playing SF), he has an extremely fast first step and his jump is even extremely fast. On top of that, his jump shot can become unguardable because he gets so high up. All of that combined with his speed and defense -- it's insane how much potential he has. He just needs to put it all together.

Don't get me wrong, Nerlens can be very good, but he doesn't have too many skills or abilities that other NBA players at that position don't have. At his prime I see something like a less aggressive Kevin Garnett while I think Wiggins is one of a kind.

Of course it's up to them, but I also think Wiggins has a secret fire in his belly. Someone who is so hyped, then pushed around by scouts and the media, then kicked out of the place he was drafted #1. He has really thick skin and on draft night it seemed like he had an extremely high amount of confidence. I think it all translates eventually.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#48 » by dbodner » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:23 am

MinneOOPalis wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
Sakuragi_ wrote:No. Noel will be a top defender but Wiggins has a chance to be elite defensively and very good offensively.

Is this thread an attempt to cope with not getting Wiggins?

If one turns out to be an elite defender Noel is the most likely one. Noel has DPOY potential. I don't see that with Wiggins. And I'm very happy with how things turned out for the Sixers. I wanted Embiid all along. I like Wiggins but I liked Embiid a lot more. Embiid was the best prospect. Be happy you got Wiggins.

I expect Wiggins to be a more athletic Kawahi Leonard with the ability to draw fouls. Imo this is a more valuable player that you can build your team around. The type of wing player that every team in the NBA covets. And I agree with Embiid. He fits your long term plan. But it was interesting how the sixers actually valued Wiggins more. Lets not forget. They see the game is more perimeter based. Big men like Embiid come with a lot of risk.

Based on what? The Bob Cooney "Sixers are in a full court press for Wiggins" report? The same Bob Cooney who said Bennett to the Sixers was a done deal?

You don't have a clue who the Sixers valued more. You just know who the Sixers wanted you to think they valued more.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
MinneOOPalis
Analyst

Post#49 » by MinneOOPalis » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:33 am

dbodner wrote:
MinneOOPalis wrote:
Unbreakable99 wrote:
If one turns out to be an elite defender Noel is the most likely one. Noel has DPOY potential. I don't see that with Wiggins. And I'm very happy with how things turned out for the Sixers. I wanted Embiid all along. I like Wiggins but I liked Embiid a lot more. Embiid was the best prospect. Be happy you got Wiggins.

I expect Wiggins to be a more athletic Kawahi Leonard with the ability to draw fouls. Imo this is a more valuable player that you can build your team around. The type of wing player that every team in the NBA covets. And I agree with Embiid. He fits your long term plan. But it was interesting how the sixers actually valued Wiggins more. Lets not forget. They see the game is more perimeter based. Big men like Embiid come with a lot of risk.

Based on what? The Bob Cooney "Sixers are in a full court press for Wiggins" report? The same Bob Cooney who said Bennett to the Sixers was a done deal?

You don't have a clue who the Sixers valued more. You just know who the Sixers wanted you to think they valued more.

Wiggins fits the Sixers criteria of length, athleticism, and defense. Not saying they wouldn't have happily taken Jabari.. but saying Sixers didn't prefer Wiggins is just ignorant.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by dbodner » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:19 pm

MinneOOPalis wrote:
dbodner wrote:
MinneOOPalis wrote:I expect Wiggins to be a more athletic Kawahi Leonard with the ability to draw fouls. Imo this is a more valuable player that you can build your team around. The type of wing player that every team in the NBA covets. And I agree with Embiid. He fits your long term plan. But it was interesting how the sixers actually valued Wiggins more. Lets not forget. They see the game is more perimeter based. Big men like Embiid come with a lot of risk.

Wiggins fits the Sixers criteria of length, athleticism, and defense. Not saying they wouldn't have happily taken Jabari.. but saying Sixers didn't prefer Wiggins is just ignorant.

Right. I'm ignorant.

I mean, I have full season credentials with the Sixers, I scout for DraftExpress, I regularly communicate with many in the Sixers front office, and I reported before the draft that the Sixers preferred Embiid to Wiggins, but yeah, I'm sure I'm ignorant towards the Sixers front office.

(Note: I never said the Sixers had Jabari over Wiggins).
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#51 » by doordoor123 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:31 pm

dbodner wrote:
MinneOOPalis wrote:
dbodner wrote:

Right. I'm ignorant.

I mean, I have full season credentials with the Sixers, I scout for DraftExpress, I regularly communicate with many in the Sixers front office, and I reported before the draft that the Sixers preferred Embiid to Wiggins, but yeah, I'm sure I'm ignorant towards the Sixers front office.

(Note: I never said the Sixers had Jabari over Wiggins).

Dude, you're a Mod. Not happy with someone? Do something Moddy. :offtopic:
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by dbodner » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:47 pm

The heck does that even mean.

I'm here to debate the validity of a statement, which was said with a level of certainty that there is no way said poster could have had. That is all.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#53 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:06 am

doordoor123 wrote:I think Wiggins has the potential to be better. He could gain enough weight and play position 2,3 and 4 (much like Paul George). Look, realistically he's a 6'8 shooting guard (even though he's playing SF), he has an extremely fast first step and his jump is even extremely fast. On top of that, his jump shot can become unguardable because he gets so high up. All of that combined with his speed and defense -- it's insane how much potential he has. He just needs to put it all together.

Don't get me wrong, Nerlens can be very good, but he doesn't have too many skills or abilities that other NBA players at that position don't have. At his prime I see something like a less aggressive Kevin Garnett while I think Wiggins is one of a kind.

Of course it's up to them, but I also think Wiggins has a secret fire in his belly. Someone who is so hyped, then pushed around by scouts and the media, then kicked out of the place he was drafted #1. He has really thick skin and on draft night it seemed like he had an extremely high amount of confidence. I think it all translates eventually.

Does he really have good guard skills? While he has the speed of a guard, I think he certainly plays like a foward, granted I haven't seen much of Wiggin's this season.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#54 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:28 am

Noel is better than Wiggins in BPM (-.2 vs -2.1) and VORP (.8 vs -.1) right now right? He's slight behind though on PER 13.2 vs 13.1.

BTW, where ya'll been saying Noel is injury prone and sh*t?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#55 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:45 am

76ciology wrote:Noel is better than Wiggins in BPM (-.2 vs -2.1) and VORP (.8 vs -.1) right now right? He's slight behind though on PER 13.2 vs 13.1.

I don't think that's going to change most people's opinions. Wiggins is still considered to be better than Noel by most people. Not saying popular opinion is correct, but it's weird you'd bump this thread as if the consensus has changed in Noel's favor.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#56 » by 76ciology » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:55 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
76ciology wrote:Noel is better than Wiggins in BPM (-.2 vs -2.1) and VORP (.8 vs -.1) right now right? He's slight behind though on PER 13.2 vs 13.1.

I don't think that's going to change most people's opinions. Wiggins is still considered to be better than Noel by most people. Not saying popular opinion is correct, but it's weird you'd bump this thread as if the consensus has changed in Noel's favor.

Not looking for their approval. I'm just saying that most people are wrong in their assessment that Wiggins is a far more better player than Noel (stats comparison) and that Noel is injury prone.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#57 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:07 am

RPM

Wiggins: -0.67
Noel: -2.55
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
wickedwrister
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#58 » by wickedwrister » Fri Mar 6, 2015 5:07 pm

I'd still take Wiggins over Noel straight up.

Noel doesn't appear to be anything more than a guy who picks up scraps down low on offense but man is he something on defense already. As a Sixers fan I'm really happy with what Noel has shown so far. If Embiid is even 80% of what Noel is defensively than the Sixers are going to create some matchup nightmares for teams in about 2 years.
The feedback I've received from our fans is they understand we are trying to build something great. Good decisions come from having a broad set of options and making tough calls. We will do it unblinkingly. We have to be willing to take smart risks-Hinkie
MinneOOPalis
Analyst

Post#59 » by MinneOOPalis » Fri Mar 6, 2015 6:10 pm

Nerlens isn't even the best center from his own draft class. :dontknow:
HeartBreakKid
RealGM

Post#60 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Mar 6, 2015 10:25 pm

Wiggins isn't even the best small forward from his own draft class. :dontknow:

Return to NBA Draft