2015 NBA Draft Lottery Point Guards

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

lakeshow22
Sophomore
And1: 55

2015 NBA Draft Lottery Point Guards 

Post#1 » by lakeshow22 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:39 am

Who are the top point guard prospects in the 2015 NBA draft? Who has a chance to crack the lottery? who can surprise? Highest potentials? some of these guys don't look like lottery picks right now or even first rounder's but no one expected guys like Damian Lillard, Trey Burke, Elfird Payton, MCW and Tyler Ennis(didn't go lottery but was considered there) to go in in the lottery before the season started.

Emmanuel Mudiay

Isaiah Taylor

Tyus Jones

Marcus Paige

Rysheed Jordan

Kasey Hill

Terry Rozier

Andrew Harrison
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: 2015 NBA Draft Lottery Point Guards 

Post#2 » by Marcus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:02 am

Mudiay and Tyus Jones for me, but im iffy on if tyus will declare or not.

need to see more of Hill, Rozier, and Taylor to have an opinion.

Rysheed Jordan is popular with ManRam here on the board so he can speak on that.

don't like either Harrison.

Wasn't impressed with Paige

Caris LeVert can give you PG minutes in spots and I'm intrigued to see his development this year.

2015 is a bigman draft though, doubt u see any PG lottery noise outside of Mudiay, a lot can change between now and June 2015 though.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:56 am

mudiay. tyus and jordan have the potential to.
that's about it imo.

1 guy to keep an eye on is monte morris. he needs to bulk up, but he's a do it all guard with a sparkling A/T ratio, shot over 40% from 3, high iq with shot-creating ability.

i do like rozier but he's more of a scoring combo and he'll be sharing the ball with chris jones.

juwan staten is a sleeper. he's a hell of an athlete/playmaker and a good defender, but he's older and still can't shoot.

i don't see too many sleeper 1 and done's. maybe kaleb joseph, but i don't think he's physically there yet. he's skinny like morris, but he's creative with the ball on a string, has long arms, shot-creating ability and is a springy athlete. he'll have the opportunity to play as one of the few ball-handlers that 'cuse has.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
lakeshow22
Sophomore

Post#4 » by lakeshow22 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:03 am

ManualRam wrote:mudiay. tyus and jordan have the potential to.
that's about it imo.

1 guy to keep an eye on is monte morris. he needs to bulk up, but he's a do it all guard with a sparkling A/T ratio, shot over 40% from 3, high iq with shot-creating ability.

i do like rozier but he's more of a scoring combo and he'll be sharing the ball with chris jones.

juwan staten is a sleeper. he's a hell of an athlete/playmaker and a good defender, but he's older and still can't shoot.

i don't see too many sleeper 1 and done's. maybe kaleb joseph, but i don't think he's physically there yet. he's skinny like morris, but he's creative with the ball on a string, has long arms, shot-creating ability and is a springy athlete. he'll have the opportunity to play as one of the few ball-handlers that 'cuse has.

What's your reasoning for Tyus Jones and jordan? And what don't u see in guys like hill, Taylor, Harrison, And Paige? And when u say guys like monte Morris and staten are sleepers, do u mean sleepers to go in the lottery?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:32 am

lakeshow22 wrote:
that's about it imo.

What's your reasoning for Tyus Jones and jordan? And what don't u see in guys like hill, Taylor, Harrison, And Paige? And when u say guys like monte Morris and staten are sleepers, do u mean sleepers to go in the lottery?

tyus to me plays like a right-handed mike conley. he runs an offense like a coach's dream. he can lull defenders to sleep, but has sneaky burst and body control, equal finishing with both hands, knows how to play the backboard with different spins and releases. fantastic floater game, again with both hands. where conley has him beat is defensively. tyus needs a ton of work on that end.

jordan has tremendous size for the PG position. 6'4, well put together. can really get after it defensively. doesn't rely on quickness but has a power driving game with very good footwork, change of speed and fakes on the move. is expanding his range but has a sweet pull up game. very good defensive potential given his size, strength and athleticism. plays with that philly swagger and grit. reminds me a bit of jrue holiday.
needs to improve his jumper, has a slight pause at the top of his release. 1 drawback with him this season that he's still playing in a deep backcourt, alongside a ball-dominant chucker so he might not be completely unleashed. hopefully the keys will be turned over to him.

no, just sleepers in general. sleepers for the 1st round. i think they have the potential to be in the same boat as some of the guys that you mentioned.

-taylor's a tiny 2 guard with no range.
-i've never liked hill as an nba prospect. he's labeled as a pure PG, but his decisions making is shaky. his best attribute as a PG is his transition ability. he's a tiny slasher who doesn't absorb contact well and can't shoot. his saving grace is that he's being coached by billy donovan, so there's hope that he'll improve enough to possibly be a first rounder.
-harrison is dumb, not athletic enough and doesn't shoot well. maybe he has an outside chance because of his sheer size, but he looks more like a guy who thinks he's a PG but really isn't. out of this other group, he probably has the best chance, but i wouldn't bet on it.
-i like paige as a player, but he's not lotto caliber either. he's naturally thin, not that athletic, weak defender, is just an ok playmaker.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
lakeshow22
Sophomore

Post#6 » by lakeshow22 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:04 am

ManualRam wrote:
lakeshow22 wrote:
that's about it imo.

tyus to me plays like a right-handed mike conley. he runs an offense like a coach's dream. he can lull defenders to sleep, but has sneaky burst and body control, equal finishing with both hands, knows how to play the backboard with different spins and releases. fantastic floater game, again with both hands. where conley has him beat is defensively. tyus needs a ton of work on that end.

jordan has tremendous size for the PG position. 6'4, well put together. can really get after it defensively. doesn't rely on quickness but has a power driving game with very good footwork, change of speed and fakes on the move. is expanding his range but has a sweet pull up game. very good defensive potential given his size, strength and athleticism. plays with that philly swagger and grit. reminds me a bit of jrue holiday.
needs to improve his jumper, has a slight pause at the top of his release. 1 drawback with him this season that he's still playing in a deep backcourt, alongside a ball-dominant chucker so he might not be completely unleashed. hopefully the keys will be turned over to him.

no, just sleepers in general. sleepers for the 1st round. i think they have the potential to be in the same boat as some of the guys that you mentioned.

-i've never liked hill as an nba prospect. he's labeled as a pure PG, but his decisions making is shaky. his best attribute as a PG is his transition ability. he's a tiny slasher who doesn't absorb contact well and can't shoot. his saving grace is that he's being coached by billy donovan, so there's hope that he'll improve enough to possibly be a first rounder.
-harrison is dumb, not athletic enough and doesn't shoot well. maybe he has an outside chance because of his sheer size, but he looks more like a guy who thinks he's a PG but really isn't. out of this other group, he probably has the best chance, but i wouldn't bet on it.
-i like paige as a player, but he's not lotto caliber either. he's naturally thin, not that athletic, weak defender, is just an ok playmaker.

So really mudiay is the only lock to go in the lottery and everybody besides jones is probably a long shot. U seem to be higher on jones than most people and draft boards. What makes jones a better prospect than hill? Similar size but hill is much quicker and Much more athletic than jones. There both more slashers since they can't really shoot but at there size how effective can they be?I think hill has more potential as a slasher because of his athleticism.

I agree with rozier and he probably has the best chance to break out and go end of lottery. Also think Paige deserves more credit. No 1 really saw him having the season that he had. If tyler ennis can get lottery consideration and go 18th in one of the best draft in years I have to think that Paige can do the same. He should be a 1st team all American and 1 of the best players in the country
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#7 » by reanimator » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:12 am

I think he is a 3 year guy but Derrick Walton is 1 to keep an eye on. Came in as a higher ranked talent than Trey Burke and Darius Morris and those two left after 2 years in that UM offense. Can shoot, finish, small but strong build, great rebounder, a blur in transition, efficient and he is a gamer... basically willed UM to a wins against MSU an OSU on the road as a freshman. His PnR play and pull-up are two things he has yet to display since he had a small role last year. I see a bit of Ty Lawson in him. Also in the B1G, D'Angelo Russell/Shannon Scott will be fun to watch. Shannon Scott finally has the ball in his hands as a senior after playing off Craft for 3 years and Russell arguably has the best court vision in that 2014 HS class.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#8 » by EMG518 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 am

I think Mudiay and Tyus are the only lottery point guards in the draft. I like Rozier and Williams Goss though, both 1st rounders for me.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#9 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:30 am

lakeshow22 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
lakeshow22 wrote:What's your reasoning for Tyus Jones and jordan? And what don't u see in guys like hill, Taylor, Harrison, And Paige? And when u say guys like monte Morris and staten are sleepers, do u mean sleepers to go in the lottery?

So really mudiay is the only lock to go in the lottery and everybody besides jones is probably a long shot. U seem to be higher on jones than most people and draft boards. What makes jones a better prospect than hill? Similar size but hill is much quicker and Much more athletic than jones. There both more slashers since they can't really shoot but at there size how effective can they be?I think hill has more potential as a slasher because of his athleticism.

I agree with rozier and he probably has the best chance to break out and go end of lottery. Also think Paige deserves more credit. No 1 really saw him having the season that he had. If tyler ennis can get lottery consideration and go 18th in one of the best draft in years I have to think that Paige can do the same. He should be a 1st team all American and 1 of the best players in the country

jones has a higher IQ than hill so everything that comes with that he's better at: decision making, running an offense, picking his spots, shot selection, PnR, team defense (not man defense, team defense), etc... and kasey's old as hell for his class. you'd figure with age comes knowledge but he never struck me as a particularly bright player.
jones is also more skilled too. better shooter, handler, uses changes of speeds better. i actually think he's a better finisher too because he's ambidextrous around the rim and knows how to get off shots with different angles and spins off the backboard. his floater game is top notch too.

i don't think it's particularly close. kasey was always a mixtape wonder to me, but if you watched him in actual games his impact wasn't that great, whereas jones wins wherever he goes and coaches love the way he runs a team. i also put a lot of stock in team usa experience. it's a great learning experience and coaches only invite and select players that they like. tyus has been involved with team usa since he's been eligible whereas kasey's done what, hoop summit? and he played terribly in that game.

i don't put too much stock in kasey's athleticism because he's tiny. i already acknowledged that he's good in transition. if he jumps high, so what? he's still tiny, had trouble finishing because he doesn't absorb contact well. at that size i'd rather see a player who's actually clever, knows what he's doing, how to make up for his lack of size and how to beat players with his mind and skill, which tyus does and hill doesn't.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:40 am

reanimator wrote:I think he is a 3 year guy but Derrick Walton is 1 to keep an eye on. Came in as a higher ranked talent than Trey Burke and Darius Morris and those two left after 2 years in that UM offense. Can shoot, finish, small but strong build, great rebounder, a blur in transition, efficient and he is a gamer... basically willed UM to a win against MSU an OSU on the road as a freshman. His PnR play and pull-up are two things he has yet to display since he had a small role last year. I see a bit of Ty Lawson in him. Also in the B1G, D'Angelo Russell/Shannon Scott will be fun to watch. Shannon Scott finally has the ball in his hands as a senior after playing off Craft for 3 years and Russell arguably has the best court vision in that 2014 HS class.

i do like walton too, but i agree with you, he looks more like a 3 yr guy to me.

another B1G PG that i like is bronson koenig out of wisky, but he's gonna have to wait another yr playing behind tra jackson. he's got good size, can shoot it and he's got really good creativity.

i too am interested in seeing how scott does with the ball solely in his hands. he's already a lock down defender and he's more dynamic off the bounce than craft was, but he still doesn't shoot it well.

i saw NWG mentioned in the other post. he's unathletic, but if ennis can get drafted with his tools and intangibles, NWG should get 1st round consideration with his similar tools and intangibles.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#11 » by EMG518 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:32 am

ManualRam wrote:i saw NWG mentioned in the other post. he's unathletic, but if ennis can get drafted with his tools and intangibles, NWG should get 1st round consideration with his similar tools and intangibles.

I think Williams Goss is a better prospect than Ennis. Bigger, more physical, more explosive, better shooter, similiar floor general, vision and poise.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#12 » by ManualRam » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:53 am

EMG518 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:i saw NWG mentioned in the other post. he's unathletic, but if ennis can get drafted with his tools and intangibles, NWG should get 1st round consideration with his similar tools and intangibles.

I think Williams Goss is a better prospect than Ennis. Bigger, more physical, more explosive, better shooter, similiar floor general, vision and poise.

i think NWG has a bigger, stronger build. i agree he is more physical, but i think he's even less explosive than ennis, shooting is a bit of a toss up. i'm not a fan of NWG's deliberate shot set up from deep though.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#13 » by noobcake » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:36 pm

Delon Wright could be mid-late lotto
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#14 » by Notanoob » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:45 pm

Seriously, how is Delon Wright always the forgotten man? Everything about him screams fantastic prospect.

He's 6'5" tall, he's got amazing steal+block numbers- 2.5 and 1.3 per 40 pace adjusted. 1.92A/To playing with a complete dumpsterfire of a team, and he shoots 62% from inside the ark. Holly $hit! Dude also has a solid FTr.

I know that he can't shoot 3's at all but really, everything else there is fantastic.
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Post#15 » by immortalone23 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:53 pm

Notanoob wrote:Seriously, how is Delon Wright always the forgotten man? Everything about him screams fantastic prospect.

He's 6'5" tall, he's got amazing steal+block numbers- 2.5 and 1.3 per 40 pace adjusted. 1.92A/To playing with a complete dumpsterfire of a team, and he shoots 62% from inside the ark. Holly $hit! Dude also has a solid FTr.

I know that he can't shoot 3's at all but really, everything else there is fantastic.

Besides age, I agree with you. He's too "old."
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Marcus » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:55 pm

Notanoob wrote:Seriously, how is Delon Wright always the forgotten man? Everything about him screams fantastic prospect.

i don't think he's necessarily forgotten but with the topic being lottery PGs he wouldn't necessarily be mentioned. he still light in the a$$ and old. for a "lottery" slot that's not good despite the impressive numbers. also factor in the rest of the talent in the draft and how bigs orientated this draft is. More need around the league for bigs than there is for PGs i would think. Could he very well end up being the 2nd or 3rd best PG in this class? sure. but i wouldn't be surprised to see him miss the lotto cut due to reasons mentioned earlier.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#17 » by ManualRam » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:15 pm

im a fan of delon too, but i worry about his frame. it's one thing to but skinny. it's another to be that skinny at his age. he should have more meat on his bones by now. he weighed in exactly where he was last yr at the recent nike skills camp. that's not good.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#18 » by Talent Chaser » Mon Aug 4, 2014 4:33 pm

Call me crazy but I think Taylor will be late lotto next year; he's so quick and I love his floater. If that mid-range comes around I see him in the 11-15 range next year. He just screams Tony Parker to me.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#19 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:49 pm

Who are the most pure pass-first PG's on the horizon?
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:54 pm

EddieJonesFan wrote:Who are the most pure pass-first PG's on the horizon?

in the 2015 class?

Tyus Jones and Marcus Paige if they declare.

Troy Brown Jr., Derryck Thornton, and PERHAPS Lonzo Ball in the classes after that
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft