Dragan Bender - 97 born Croatian prospect

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Re: Dragan Bender - 97 born Croatian prospect 

Post#41 » by Von Bismarck » Sun Jun 7, 2015 5:26 pm

Bender can do literally anything. Standing at the age of 17 (11/17/1997), he's already as tall and as heavy as Porzingis (7,1 and 220-230lbs). He's a true definition of Point Forward. He can shoot, drive, poster dunk, he has good legs to guard smaller players, he can pass, he can organize, and has incredibly high basketball IQ.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/adi ... nder-5061/
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#42 » by HeartBreakKid » Sun Jun 7, 2015 10:47 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:Bender can do literally anything. Standing at the age of 17 (11/17/1997), he's already as tall and as heavy as Porzingis (7,1 and 220-230lbs). He's a true definition of Point Forward. He can shoot, drive, poster dunk, he has good legs to guard smaller players, he can pass, he can organize, and has incredibly high basketball IQ.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/adi ... nder-5061/

Why not center instead of a forward?
Mr-Al
Senior
And1: 225

Post#43 » by Mr-Al » Mon Jun 8, 2015 4:08 am

Holy ****. A Dragon Bender?

The Avatar is screwed
franckyvinvin12
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#44 » by franckyvinvin12 » Mon Jun 8, 2015 7:47 am

Let's not get carried away calling him 7'1. He was measured 6'11 with shoes last year at the Eurocamp, and so he's 6'11 until proven otherwise. He might have grow up, but I'll believe it when official measurements come out.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#45 » by Rosque » Mon Jun 8, 2015 7:33 pm

"Quick Hitters

-Elite 1997 prospect Dragan Bender measured 6'11.5 without shoes with a 7'2 wingspan and a 216-pound frame.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3cV7VN0bF
http://www.draftexpress.com

"

Will be a legit 7 footer by the time he turns 18.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#46 » by Cro_Ruption » Mon Jun 8, 2015 7:36 pm

where is croatia getting all this talent from? Is Bender even a croatian last name?
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect

Post#47 » by Von Bismarck » Tue Jun 9, 2015 9:26 am

It is probably connected to Germanic surname 'Bender'. But in Croatia, Bender's are almost exclusively Croats, same goes for Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Where do they get it? You forgot Croatia is the birthplace of people like Toni Kukoc, Drazen Petrovic, Dino Radja. Bogut is fully blooded Croat as well. Even Peja Stojakovic comes from Croatia, even though he's an ethnic Serbs.

Anyhow, I think it has something to do with people from 'Dinaric Alps' region being the tallest people in the world on average. So that's why you can see so many talented Croats, Serbs and the rest.
franckyvinvin12
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#48 » by franckyvinvin12 » Tue Jun 9, 2015 11:43 am

Well he's officially a 7 footer now, 7'0.5 in shoes. With his mobility and outside game, he could be a real mismatch as a real stretch 4 (I don't like 4s that can shoot but can't actually play outside). Right now he looks like a taller Mirotic, which is promising. Let's see how he develops next year, and please don't try to turn him into a 3 :nonono:
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#49 » by Cro_Ruption » Tue Jun 9, 2015 6:13 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:It is probably connected to Germanic surname 'Bender'. But in Croatia, Bender's are almost exclusively Croats, same goes for Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Where do they get it? You forgot Croatia is the birthplace of people like Toni Kukoc, Drazen Petrovic, Dino Radja. Bogut is fully blooded Croat as well. Even Peja Stojakovic comes from Croatia, even though he's an ethnic Serbs.

Anyhow, I think it has something to do with people from 'Dinaric Alps' region being the tallest people in the world on average. So that's why you can see so many talented Croats, Serbs and the rest.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm full blooded croat from bosnia as well.

Great to see all this great talent coming out for such a small country.
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,070
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#50 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jun 9, 2015 8:33 pm

Cro_Ruption wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:It is probably connected to Germanic surname 'Bender'. But in Croatia, Bender's are almost exclusively Croats, same goes for Bosnia and Herzegovina.

It's really crazy when you think about it. The NBA has been trying to tap the massive population countries (India, China) to create a talent pipeline, and one of the biggest contributors to basketball talent worldwide, has always been two that are really small (Croatia, Lithuania). I would love to go to know how tapped into basketball their average fan is. It seems like with so many of their kids growing up to do big things, basketball wise, the sport must be huge, and have massive followings.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect

Post#51 » by Von Bismarck » Tue Jun 9, 2015 8:58 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Cro_Ruption wrote:

It's really crazy when you think about it. The NBA has been trying to tap the massive population countries (India, China) to create a talent pipeline, and one of the biggest contributors to basketball talent worldwide, has always been two that are really small (Croatia, Lithuania). I would love to go to know how tapped into basketball their average fan is. It seems like with so many of their kids growing up to do big things, basketball wise, the sport must be huge, and have massive followings.

Actually not. I'm American living in Croatia for some time now. Even though basketball is no.2 sport there, Croatia is football country. Croats are actually top 10 in Europe in quite a few sports; football, basketball, handball, waterpolo, skiing and so on. About Croatian basketball players, well let's say it's a gift of nature :D
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#52 » by Kabookalu » Tue Jun 9, 2015 9:42 pm

A taller Mirotic is practically an all star.

I'm hoping the Raptors can somehow acquire him next years draft.
Read on Twitter
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#53 » by thamadkant » Tue Jun 9, 2015 10:13 pm

Great name too..

Dragon Bender!!
Mustinjo
Junior
And1: 239

Post#54 » by Mustinjo » Tue Jun 9, 2015 10:28 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
Cro_Ruption wrote:

Actually not. I'm American living in Croatia for some time now. Even though basketball is no.2 sport there, Croatia is football country. Croats are actually top 10 in Europe in quite a few sports; football, basketball, handball, waterpolo, skiing and so on. About Croatian basketball players, well let's say it's a gift of nature :D

Honestly, I'm not even sure if is basketball still #2 here. Our national team hasn't won a single medal for 20 years and our club basketball is in dire straits these days. Luckily, we have some amazing talents born in period from 94 to 97 (Saric, Hezonja, Bender, Zizic to name a few) so hope is still there that basketball can be popular as it once was (before Petrovic died).
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#55 » by Kabookalu » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:04 pm

For those that follow him closely, how is his work ethic like? This kid is brimming with potential, can see him as a mix of Pau Gasol and Dirk Nowitzki, though that all depends on his passion for the game.

Read on Twitter
Mustinjo
Junior
And1: 239

Post#56 » by Mustinjo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:45 pm

No worries there. He's a great kid and he loves playing basketball, you'll rarely meet someone that talented having no ego and being as humble as he is.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#57 » by Bernman » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:07 am

Choker wrote:For those that follow him closely, how is his work ethic like? This kid is brimming with potential, can see him as a mix of Pau Gasol and Dirk Nowitzki, though that all depends on his passion for the game.

Between highlights, and stats, he's come across to me as more of a much less wussy Pau.

Dirk hardly makes up the toughness difference. But Dirk had a far better perimeter game at this point. He was playing point forward and regularly drilling 3's. Bender can't play point forward and shooting is a more occasional thing he does. He's much more of a true interior player, with good outside skills, for a big.

I think mixing in Bosh, for example, would be much more warranted.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Post#58 » by pohani komarac » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:07 am

I would say his style is mix of Kukoc and Kirilenko
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#59 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:30 pm

Sounds like he's going to be a star lol.

Yeah admittingly I haven't watched a whole lot of him, and the ones I did watch he showed off some impressive perimeter skills, hence the Dirk comparisons. I'm fascinated by his footwork around the bucket, kids that young are never that skilled in the post. And his passing has almost been Sabonis like.

Plus, the big thing for me about him is that he's very mobile and willing to guard the perimeter. In today's NBA that seems where basketball is trending towards; having your big men being mobile enough to go out and guard the pick and roll and some perimeter players from time to time.

Read on Twitter
kuly1990
Veteran
And1: 441

Post#60 » by kuly1990 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:45 am

Basketball is not a number two sport in croatia for a long time, i hope with Hezonja, Saric and Bender with mix of Bogdanovic, Tomic and others will change that...

Return to NBA Draft