Dragan Bender - 97 born Croatian prospect

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Re: Dragan Bender - 97 born Croatian prospect 

Post#101 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Oct 3, 2015 9:10 pm

Thespianoid wrote:Watched the game yesterday. Kid reminds me so much of Kirilenko. Lanky, mobile, contributes in so many ways. Shot blocking, court vision, off-ball movement, on-ball defense.

Hate how yet another high-profile article describes him like this:

From a scouting perspective, Bender fits the European archetype almost perfectly. He spent of the night floating around the three-point line despite often being clearly the tallest player on court. His length resulted in two impressive blocks but he didn't do much rebounding. It's all par for the course.

Floating around the 3PT line was due to his small role in the Maccabi offense and the spacing they needed. Plus his strength as a 17 yr old means he won't be effective trying to fight with the grown men. Same goes for rebounding.

What is it with American writers and their insistence on perpetuating one view of European players? No wonder so many American basketball fans are so uneducated about European basketball...:nonono:

It is obvious the American sports media has never watched any European basketball, especially Euroleague, and yet for years they have always commented on it like they have. They have been doing that for years. No one in USA questions them on it ever, so they just keep doing it.

Also, Bender was not clearly the tallest player on the court at most time he was playing. Sure Bender is tall, as he looks about 7-1 or so. But he is in no way as tall as Stanko Barac, and anyone watching that game could plainly as day easily see that, as Barac was on court a lot also.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#102 » by Von Bismarck » Sat Oct 3, 2015 10:37 pm

Bender is 216cm tall and yet he played at 3 for most of the game and completely outplayed Gentile. His footwork and lateral quickness are astonishing for a guy of his height. He's a walking missmatch.
Unbreakable99
General Manager
And1: 3,993

Post#103 » by Unbreakable99 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:22 pm

Can someone please compare Bender vs Saric vs Porzingis please. Please rank them in terms of who you think will be the better NBA player. I would really appreciate an in depth analysis by someone on this since the Sixers already have Saric. If Bender is there I wonder if we should draft him and trade Saric. But anyway I would appreciate if someone can rank them for me. Thanks in advance.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#104 » by No-Man » Mon Oct 5, 2015 10:26 pm

Dont have time right now, but easily Saric at the bottom.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,781

Post#105 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Not impressed with Bender so far. Sure, just the fact that he gets playing time in the Euroleague, on such high profile team, at such a young age is almost unprecedented in itself, but he looked like a scrub to me today (tho, most Maccabis looked no better)

And am I crazy, or Trevor Mbakwe looks exactly like Embiid?
zubinho
Freshman
And1: 35

Post#106 » by zubinho » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:55 pm

Euroleague debut vs CSKA Moscow

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acfqr0vlZOc[/youtube]
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,688

Post#107 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:41 am

I reckon most 17-year-old American prospect would look like total garbage in the second best league in the world. Especially nowadays, every Euroleague team has not just skilled players but athletic beasts as well. I still like his tools and athleticism and would be shocked if he is not a high lottery pick, possibly top 5.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#108 » by Von Bismarck » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:23 pm

I would be surprised he doesn't got TOP 3. The only thing that can stop him as of right now is some nasty injury.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#109 » by MC3 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:53 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:I reckon most 17-year-old American prospect would look like total garbage in the second best league in the world. Especially nowadays, every Euroleague team has not just skilled players but athletic beasts as well. I still like his tools and athleticism and would be shocked if he is not a high lottery pick, possibly top 5.

This. We basically talking about high-school kid playing second best league in the world. He maybe is 7-1, but he still is boy among men. I dont know if any american high-school prospect would play Euroleague at that age. Just experience playing at such lvl already against pros and vets will be huge for him.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#110 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:55 am

Has anyone else watched him recently? Maccabi isn't good and Dragan hasn't been good. He can't shoot -- even in the paint against smaller guys. He's not a good defender and hasn't been passing well. On the bright side, he's 7'1, has an elite vertical for his size, runs really well and can handle the ball better than most bigs. The potential is there, but he needs to get better.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#111 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:08 am

UcanUwill wrote:Not impressed with Bender so far. Sure, just the fact that he gets playing time in the Euroleague, on such high profile team, at such a young age is almost unprecedented in itself, but he looked like a scrub to me today (tho, most Maccabis looked no better)

The only time I see him playing is when there is an injury, or in garbage time. Also, Maccabi is not a high profile team in Euroleague. It has a big name, a big brand, history and tradition. It has things like that, but in recent years it's hardly anything resembling a high profile club.

In fact, in the current time, it's even probably easily one of the worst teams in Euroleague, and I think you can very easily argue it's the second best team in Israel.

MC3 wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:I reckon most 17-year-old American prospect would look like total garbage in the second best league in the world. Especially nowadays, every Euroleague team has not just skilled players but athletic beasts as well. I still like his tools and athleticism and would be shocked if he is not a high lottery pick, possibly top 5.

This. We basically talking about high-school kid playing second best league in the world. He maybe is 7-1, but he still is boy among men. I dont know if any american high-school prospect would play Euroleague at that age. Just experience playing at such lvl already against pros and vets will be huge for him.

I'm 100% sure that no American high school players would get anything but garbage playing time in Euroleague. For example, neither Towns, nor Porzingis, was close to being a Euroleague level player at age 18.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#112 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:22 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Not impressed with Bender so far. Sure, just the fact that he gets playing time in the Euroleague, on such high profile team, at such a young age is almost unprecedented in itself, but he looked like a scrub to me today (tho, most Maccabis looked no better)

The only time I see him playing is when there is an injury, or in garbage time. Also, Maccabi is not a high profile team in Euroleague. It has a big name, a big brand, history and tradition. It has things like that, but in recent years it's hardly anything resembling a high profile club.

In fact, in the current time, it's even probably easily one of the worst teams in Euroleague, and I think you can very easily argue it's the second best team in Israel.

MC3 wrote:

I'm 100% sure that no American high school players would get anything but garbage playing time in Euroleague. For example, neither Towns, nor Porzingis, was close to being a Euroleague level player at age 18.

It's weird because I've seen Bender play better than this. I think one of his best attributes is his offensive rebounding. He's explosive in the way Tristan Thompson is at jumping for offensive boards, but he's much taller. He has SO much potential. I really don't know what's going on with him. He's not changing directions well on defense too.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#113 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:29 am

doordoor123 wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

MC3 wrote:This. We basically talking about high-school kid playing second best league in the world. He maybe is 7-1, but he still is boy among men. I dont know if any american high-school prospect would play Euroleague at that age. Just experience playing at such lvl already against pros and vets will be huge for him.

It's weird because I've seen Bender play better than this. I think one of his best attributes is his offensive rebounding. He's explosive in the way Tristan Thompson is at jumping for offensive boards, but he's much taller. He has SO much potential. I really don't know what's going on with him. He's not changing directions well on defense too.

I don't think there is anything wrong with him. I think he's similar to Mirotic, but taller. He's like a 7-0 or 7-1 Mirotic I would say. Meaning, he has all the tools, skills, talent, but he is also super soft. Mirotic remains super soft well into his mid 20s. It remains to be seen if Bender is super soft because he just is that (like Mirotic), or if it just because he is only 18.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by doordoor123 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with him. I think he's similar to Mirotic, but taller. He's like a 7-0 or 7-1 Mirotic I would say. Meaning, he has all the tools, skills, talent, but he is also super soft. Mirotic remains super soft well into his mid 20s. It remains to be seen if Bender is super soft because he just is that (like Mirotic), or if it just because he is only 18.

He's more athletic than Mirotic and he's not as soft as Mirotic. The issue is that he's so skinny and can't really do anything against anyone with a little weight. He's also not as good a shooter as Mirotic. Because he's so much more athletic and taller, he is able to take away that soft label. I've seen him use his length and verticality to pound offensive boards. The issue is that the boards come from his own shots because he doesn't have a soft touch. He needs to gain weight. At this rate it might be better for him to stay in Europe for three years before coming to the NBA.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#115 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:58 pm

I feel like with his frame and ball handling skills SF makes more sense.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#116 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:47 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

He's more athletic than Mirotic and he's not as soft as Mirotic. The issue is that he's so skinny and can't really do anything against anyone with a little weight. He's also not as good a shooter as Mirotic. Because he's so much more athletic and taller, he is able to take away that soft label. I've seen him use his length and verticality to pound offensive boards. The issue is that the boards come from his own shots because he doesn't have a soft touch. He needs to gain weight. At this rate it might be better for him to stay in Europe for three years before coming to the NBA.

I did not say he was as soft as Mirotic. Mirotic is the softest big man I have ever seen in Euroleague. He is really skilled, but he's uber soft. David Andersen is another example of a very, very skilled big man with good physical abilities that was just mega soft in Euroleague and his whole career, and he never overcame that. Mirotic seems to be going the same route. They are/were both still very good players, but just being super soft prevents such players from doing what their talent says they should do.

What I am saying is, Bender isn't as soft as them, but he is definitely soft, and he's in that same general category of a big man with great skills and good physical ability, but can't make much happen with it consistently because of playing too soft. I mean, David Andersen had incredible skills and post moves, could shoot the 3 well, he could face up, he had everything skill wise and he could move. He was a very agile and mobile guy at around 7 feet. But he simply was too soft to become the great player he should have been.

Bender seems to play with the same kind of style. Again, it could simply be because he's only 18, and he's playing against very big and very strong players in Euroleague, and in most cases also very, very athletic players (lots of the guys he plays against in Euroleague are certainly more athletic than he is). It could simple be the case that he's just 18, and because of that, he just isn't physically capable of producing well and consistently playing at such a level. And that his softness won't be there in 3-5 years.

On the other hand, he could be like Ante Tomic, who had all the size, athleticism, talent, and skills, but was super soft and just needed to gain weight, get stronger and such and people said he would then be great. Well, Tomic bulked up big time and he probably gained like over 25 kilos of weight since he was Bender's age. He's a great skilled center with amazing athletic quality considering how big he is. But he is still soft, soft, soft. Again, Bender seems to have some similar techniques as Bender.

So it might just be age related, and not being developed enough physically and athletically, and not being strong enough. or, he could just be soft. At 18, I would say it too early to tell. But as of right now, he is too soft.

Don't get me wrong though, I would take him with a very high draft pick. Just like I said before the draft, if Porzingis was an American playing in NCAA, he would for 100% have been the #1 draft pick in the NBA, but the NBA always views European players as being less than American players, no matter what. If Bender was an American playing in NCAA, I am sure that the hype from US and NBA would be ridiculous.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#117 » by shakendfries » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:52 am

I am really wary of the talent from that Croatian national team. Bogdanovic, Hezonja, & Rudesh are all ass in the NBA. They're severely limited defensively by their lateral quickness. Chuck 3s and no D :noway: . Saric looks like a decent NBA player at best.

As a Nets fan, I've been really disappointed by Bogdanovic who is allegedly the best player from their national team, but has not been good at all this season. He'd probably thrive on a team with a PG who could create like Rondo, but he is not good at creating his own scoring opportunities aside from transition/spot ups.
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,781

Re: RE: Re: Dragan Bender - 97 born Croatian prospect 

Post#118 » by UcanUwill » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:04 pm

shakendfries wrote:I am really wary of the talent from that Croatian national team. Bogdanovic, Hezonja, & Rudesh are all ass in the NBA. They're severely limited defensively by their lateral quickness. Chuck 3s and no D :noway: . Saric looks like a decent NBA player at best.

As a Nets fan, I've been really disappointed by Bogdanovic who is allegedly the best player from their national team, but has not been good at all this season. He'd probably thrive on a team with a PG who could create like Rondo, but he is not good at creating his own scoring opportunities aside from transition/spot ups.

That Croazian wave was sure overrated imo. Still think Saric will be their best player, and even him is just an ultimate role player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#119 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:38 pm

Older brother Ivan finally got 4 minutes playing time for Maryland the other day - he scored 6 points and grabbed 5 rebounds - good for a PER over 100. Ivan's 6'9 230 (gained about 25 pounds of muscle in the last year). Dragan will also likely add a lot of muscle in the next 2 years. If Dragan's anything like Ivan, he's a good smart hard-working kid.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#120 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:16 am

Dragan is a really good defender, with length and the ability to switch on almost everyone, he might suffer a bit inside still due to strength, but he is far from been soft, he is really active, not similar at all to Mirotic.

Return to NBA Draft