The next big thing? Jahlil Okafor thread.

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,146

Re: The next big thing? Jahlil Okafor thread. 

Post#21 » by PoundTown » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:40 am

Okafor is the real deal. Great feel for the game. Got polish that great offensive bigs have that don't rely strictly on athleticism. It amazes me how skilled he is for a frosh. Makes me wonder how much room he has to grow, but he is as close to a sure thing as you generally find. All star big that I atleast see being as good as a guy like LMA.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#22 » by noobcake » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:46 am

People see a skilled player and automatically think that he isn't athletic.

Okafor is plenty athlete. His lateral quickness today was very impressive.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#23 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:18 pm

Dude is huge for the college level. He can easily mollywhop them boys in the post all season long.

I like Karl Towns too, though.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,447

Post#24 » by Snotbubbles » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:20 pm

I was impressed with Okafor's offensive game. I can see the Tim Duncan comparisons.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Dude is huge for the college level. He can easily mollywhop them boys in the post all season long.

I like Karl Towns too, though.

I need to see them both more, and Okafor played very well, but I was more impressed with Townes and his all-around game. With Okafor especially, I need to see him against top competition, because if someone can neutralize his inside game, then can he still be effective? I know Towns can, because he's an excellent passer and defender.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#26 » by reanimator » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:46 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote: I know Towns can, because he's an excellent passer

And Okafor isn't?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:00 pm

reanimator wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote: I know Towns can, because he's an excellent passer

And Okafor isn't?

I think he's got to prove it. He did make 1 nice pass to Tyus Jones last night, but I'd need to see more of that in competitive situations. The 2 times I saw him in HS, he was more than a little reluctant to pass - though ManRam said he has improved in that area.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#28 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Okafor will eat alive Towns anytime, they are not even in the same stratosphere as prospects.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:37 pm

Fischella wrote:Okafor will eat alive Towns anytime, they are not even in the same stratosphere as prospects.

I couldn't disagree more, and luckily - we shall see. There's one thing Okafor does better than Towns - that's low post scoring.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#30 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Fischella wrote:Okafor will eat alive Towns anytime, they are not even in the same stratosphere as prospects.

I couldn't disagree more, and luckily - we shall see. There's one thing Okafor does better than Towns - that's low post scoring.

That's not all, Okafor is always focused, Towns coasts way more, Okafor level of strength, poised and skill as a post player is way ahead,he is a better defender for Centers due to his much stronger lower body, he is as long as Towns thanks to his long arms, but he is a rock.
His demeanor is the one of a post player too, he wont hesitate playing dirty inside, Towns goes too much for the perimeter game, and his body is not build to excel there, he is not Kevin Durant, he is slow, his first step is not good, and his legs are not strong enough.

I like some things about Towns, but he needs to start working as a Center, not as a perimeter oriented big man, because his ceiling there is much lower.

I will be on Okafor all my money, not even close.
I think Towns is only better as a shooter from beyond the arc, and maybe passing from the top.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#31 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:15 pm

I'm not joking when I say that Okafor will manhandle people at the collegiate level. LOL the dude is hard to move out of the post. He's too strong.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#32 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:20 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:I'm not joking when I say that Okafor will manhandle people at the collegiate level. LOL the dude is hard to move out of the post. He's too strong.

How does that translate to NBA without elite athleticism ? I see another Al Jefferson.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#33 » by jpatrick » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Towns looks quite a bit longer than Okafor and appears a bit quicker. My only concern with him is lower body strength. His BBIQ seems incredible for a freshman center.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:58 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:I'm not joking when I say that Okafor will manhandle people at the collegiate level. LOL the dude is hard to move out of the post. He's too strong.

How does that translate to NBA without elite athleticism ? I see another Al Jefferson.

And that's assuming Okafor develops a mid-range game - which is not guarantee. No question he can man-handle college players inside the lane, but has he made even one mid-range shot yet? Obviously, he's going to have to have that in his arsenal in the NBA. He's not Shaq.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

That's not all, Okafor is always focused, Towns coasts way more, Okafor level of strength, poised and skill as a post player is way ahead,he is a better defender for Centers due to his much stronger lower body, he is as long as Towns thanks to his long arms, but he is a rock.
His demeanor is the one of a post player too, he wont hesitate playing dirty inside, Towns goes too much for the perimeter game, and his body is not build to excel there, he is not Kevin Durant, he is slow, his first step is not good, and his legs are not strong enough.

I like some things about Towns, but he needs to start working as a Center, not as a perimeter oriented big man, because his ceiling there is much lower.

I will be on Okafor all my money, not even close.
I think Towns is only better as a shooter from beyond the arc, and maybe passing from the top.

When you say "he is a better defender for Centers", are you trying to skirt around the issue that he's not as good a team defender. A center doesn't just defend centers. It's a team game - centers have to guard all kinds of players especially with teams going so often to pick n rolls. I think Towns will be much better defending pick n rolls and will be just as good defending today's centers - there are very few NBA centers left that rely on outstanding low post games.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#36 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:27 pm

jpatrick wrote:Towns looks quite a bit longer than Okafor and appears a bit quicker. My only concern with him is lower body strength. His BBIQ seems incredible for a freshman center.

Okafor is the same height with a higher reach according to data.

And Okafor got nimble feet, like Gasol does, he got the strength to defend Centers and the mobility to adjust and be able to be a factor as a team defender as well.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#37 » by jpatrick » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:38 pm

What's odd is that draft express has Towns' reach at 9'5" at the Hoops Summit but only 9'1" at UK's pro day. That a pretty big difference. From the eye ball test Towns just looks quicker and longer. I'd be pretty suprised if he wasn't the far better shot blocker this year. Maybe Okafor's movements are just smoother and so he doesn't look as athletic, not sure.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#38 » by No-Man » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:43 pm

I dont think Towns is quicker at all, neither longer, according to the last data, from the NBA style combine they had a UK, Towns is the same height as Okafor, but Okafor is both longer and got a better reach.

Okafor is quite underrated athletically, he got the strength but he has make big strides this past year improving.
He is a stud, I dont think I will pick any guy form last years draft ahead of him, Embiid maybe, higher potential, but with health being an issue... I wont, I would probably pick Jahlil before him too.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Fischella wrote:
jpatrick wrote:Towns looks quite a bit longer than Okafor and appears a bit quicker. My only concern with him is lower body strength. His BBIQ seems incredible for a freshman center.

Okafor is the same height with a higher reach according to data.

And Okafor got nimble feet, like Gasol does, he got the strength to defend Centers and the mobility to adjust and be able to be a factor as a team defender as well.

I have to agree with your logic. If Gasol can win a DPOY, there's no reason Okafor can't be at least solid defensively. I'm willing to change my mind as I see more of him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52 pm

jpatrick wrote:What's odd is that draft express has Towns' reach at 9'5" at the Hoops Summit but only 9'1" at UK's pro day. That a pretty big difference. From the eye ball test Towns just looks quicker and longer. I'd be pretty suprised if he wasn't the far better shot blocker this year. Maybe Okafor's movements are just smoother and so he doesn't look as athletic, not sure.

Yeah, I saw that 4 inch difference, too. I don't know if Towns is quicker (neither is a great athlete, imo), but he does seem more invested in playing defense than Okafor is, but that could change over time.

Return to NBA Draft