Ben Simmons

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Re: Ben Simmons 

Post#41 » by EMG518 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:55 pm

EricAnderson wrote:Where is this Simmons isn't athletic enough garbage coming from? He's fine in that department..He's not Blake Griffin but he's not a stiff either..

Watching him yesterday he is really impressive..his versatility is his greatest attribute IMo

My only question is his shot and overall scoring ability in the half court..literally all his points were on tip ins layups dunks and on the break..

Valid concerns. I would also have concerns about him guarding power forwards in the NBA. He does have quick hands and good reactions though. Honestly I have said before he reminds me of a Blake Griffin. I think he could potentially be better though. I think he has better hands and reactions on defense which would lead to him being a better defender than Griffin although that isnt saying a ton, I would still have my concerns. He could develop a better jumper and a more versatile game on offense than Griffin as well but he does lag behind in athleticism when compared to Griffin. He is no slouch though, not in the least bit. He is at the upper level of athleticism for NBA power forwards.

I personally have Jaylen Brown ahead of him. I dont have any concerns about him defensively. He will be able to guard multiple positions at a high level which is the main reason. I think he will be able to shoot at a better clip on offense and is shiftier as well which he should be being the smaller player, he should be able to create more in the half court.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#42 » by Marcus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:06 pm

EMG518 wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:Where is this Simmons isn't athletic enough garbage coming from? He's fine in that department..He's not Blake Griffin but he's not a stiff either..

Watching him yesterday he is really impressive..his versatility is his greatest attribute IMo

My only question is his shot and overall scoring ability in the half court..literally all his points were on tip ins layups dunks and on the break..

Valid concerns. I would also have concerns about him guarding power forwards in the NBA. He does have quick hands and good reactions though. Honestly I have said before he reminds me of a Blake Griffin. I think he could potentially be better though. I think he has better hands and reactions on defense which would lead to him being a better defender than Griffin although that isnt saying a ton, I would still have my concerns. He could develop a better jumper and a more versatile game on offense than Griffin as well but he does lag behind in athleticism when compared to Griffin. He is no slouch though, not in the least bit. He is at the upper level of athleticism for NBA power forwards.

I personally have Jaylen Brown ahead of him. I dont have any concerns about him defensively. He will be able to guard multiple positions at a high level which is the main reason. I think he will be able to shoot at a better clip on offense and is shiftier as well which he should be being the smaller player, he should be able to create more in the half court.

im still lost on where Blake and Ben are anywhere near similar game wise. where do you see Blake in Ben's game?

Jaylen is a f*ckin dawg. love that kid. Handle needs to tighten up but he gets after it, he's aggresive, strong, fluid stroke so the consistency will come with time, he is a ridiculous athlete and i think that gets downplayed a bit, better passer than he gets credit for, and the kid seems to work like he isn't the best player on the floor which is massive in my book for being so young and having that mentality instilled in him.

We'll see how it goes when they get to school but a case could be made for either one of them being the top pick come june 2016.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#43 » by EMG518 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Marcus wrote:
EMG518 wrote:

im still lost on where Blake and Ben are anywhere near similar game wise. where do you see Blake in Ben's game?

Jaylen is a f*ckin dawg. love that kid. Handle needs to tighten up but he gets after it, he's aggresive, strong, fluid stroke so the consistency will come with time, he is a ridiculous athlete and i think that gets downplayed a bit, better passer than he gets credit for, and the kid seems to work like he isn't the best player on the floor which is massive in my book for being so young and having that mentality instilled in him.

We'll see how it goes when they get to school but a case could be made for either one of them being the top pick come june 2016.

They are both phenomenal in transition and finishing around the rim. They both have point forward skills. Griffin is a great passer and has a good handle for a big just like Simmons. They both have the same concerns. Creating in the half court, their shot, defensively being undersized 4s. Even his mannerisms on the court remind me of him.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by Marcus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:29 pm

EMG518 wrote:They are both phenomenal in transition and finishing around the rim. They both have point forward skills. Griffin is a great passer and has a good handle for a big just like Simmons. They both have the same concerns. Creating in the half court, their shot, defensively being undersized 4s. Even his mannerisms on the court remind me of him.

fair enough.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#45 » by EricAnderson » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:15 pm

Marcus wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:My only question is his shot and overall scoring ability in the half court..literally all his points were on tip ins layups dunks and on the break..

yeah that's the big question going forward. can he create his own looks and get buckets when he's not the most physically gifted guy on the court? I personally think he'll be able to make the adjustment because his IQ is so damn high on that end of the floor. We'll see though when he gets to LSU next year and that SEC schedule kicks in. AB will more than likely be creating a lot of buckets out on the perimeter but i'm sure Ben will get his shots as well. Hopefully he can hit them and put to rest these final concerns about his game translating.

Yeah by all accounts he's a hard worker with a great ball iq so I don't doubt him I'm just pointing out his only flaws and seeing how he translates on the pro level
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by Marcus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:32 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
Marcus wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:My only question is his shot and overall scoring ability in the half court..literally all his points were on tip ins layups dunks and on the break..

yeah that's the big question going forward. can he create his own looks and get buckets when he's not the most physically gifted guy on the court? I personally think he'll be able to make the adjustment because his IQ is so damn high on that end of the floor. We'll see though when he gets to LSU next year and that SEC schedule kicks in. AB will more than likely be creating a lot of buckets out on the perimeter but i'm sure Ben will get his shots as well. Hopefully he can hit them and put to rest these final concerns about his game translating.

Yeah by all accounts he's a hard worker with a great ball iq so I don't doubt him I'm just pointing out his only flaws and seeing how he translates on the pro level

yeah me too. if he can end that i'd be completely onboard with Simmons over Brown in 2016.
Watch More Basketball

splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

Ben Simmons 

Post#47 » by splendidham » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:19 am

Who is a Blake Griffin level athlete I guess. I can't think of too many. Some people would have you believe Ben is a stiff while others feel he's an elite level athlete. Opinion regarding Ben's athletic ability is really quite decided and I've never really understood that. I guess some of that is dependent on how tall you really believe he is. If he's 6'8', then I guess he's about average but if he's 6'9' or 6'10' like he claims, I'd say he's quite well off. He catches the ball well above the rim and I think I've even seen his head at the same height as the rim.

I don't think anyone has said this and they really have very different measurements but I see him doing some of what Giannis is doing with the Bucks. Getting the rebound and taking it up the court by himself where he is a creative finisher or can make the pass.

While is shot might not be 100% reliable yet (again I'm not so sure it's so lacking), I think with some work he can get it falling consistently. He can hit outside at a decent rate in HS, pros and even college are much different though. He's got so much to work with though. And he has a great head start in most areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Effercon
Pro Prospect
And1: 210

Post#48 » by Effercon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:41 pm

I see his ceiling as Chris Webber.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#49 » by Dcebucks11 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:53 pm

splendidham wrote:

Who is a Blake Griffin level athlete I guess. I can't think of too many. Some people would have you believe Ben is a stiff while others feel he's an elite level athlete. Opinion regarding Ben's athletic ability is really quite decided and I've never really understood that. I guess some of that is dependent on how tall you really believe he is. If he's 6'8', then I guess he's about average but if he's 6'9' or 6'10' like he claims, I'd say he's quite well off. He catches the ball well above the rim and I think I've even seen his head at the same height as the rim.

I don't think anyone has said this and they really have very different measurements but I see him doing some of what Giannis is doing with the Bucks. Getting the rebound and taking it up the court by himself where he is a creative finisher or can make the pass.

While is shot might not be 100% reliable yet (again I'm not so sure it's so lacking), I think with some work he can get it falling consistently. He can hit outside at a decent rate in HS, pros and even college are much different though. He's got so much to work with though. And he has a great head start in most areas.

I do see Transition game of giannis in him..

He's only made 15 three pointers and hit making 29 % of them last year.. Also his FT% is only 69%.. No idea about his mid range but his shooting.. It's def lacking.. No reason it can't improve tho, Blake Griffin improved a lot in that area.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:55 pm

Dcebucks11 wrote:
splendidham wrote:

He's only made 15 three pointers and hit making 29 % of them last year.. Also his FT% is only 69%.. No idea about his mid range but his shooting.. It's def lacking.. No reason it can't improve tho, Blake Griffin improved a lot in that area.

Shooting in general is a weakness in his game. From watching him though it seems to be more of a confidence thing. From deep he's reluctant to take the shot and when he does its more aimed than it is shot. Midrange he's better in rhythm or with long floaters because he's not thinking and just acting.

I still think its something that improves. Right now he's been able to get away with passing on jumpers for a better look because he can make the better look happen. Once the windows to force something better start to close he'll have to improve the jumper or at least gain confidence in it since its not broken form wise.

day one he should be able to do a little of everything and have that be the calling card for him until he gain confidence in his jumper. Ben is one of those guys that can affect the game whether they get buckets or not because of all the other things he does do well.
Watch More Basketball

Dcebucks11
Banned User

Post#51 » by Dcebucks11 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Marcus wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:
splendidham wrote:

Shooting in general is a weakness in his game. From watching him though it seems to be more of a confidence thing. From deep he's reluctant to take the shot and when he does its more aimed than it is shot. Midrange he's better in rhythm or with long floaters because he's not thinking and just acting.

I still think its something that improves. Right now he's been able to get away with passing on jumpers for a better look because he can make the better look happen. Once the windows to force something better start to close he'll have to improve the jumper or at least gain confidence in it since its not broken form wise.

day one he should be able to do a little of everything and have that be the calling card for him until he gain confidence in his jumper. Ben is one of those guys that can affect the game whether they get buckets or not because of all the other things he does do well.

Yeah, he does lots of other things so well, if he can improve his jumper so players wont give him so much space he'll be much more dangerous..
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:10 pm

Dcebucks11 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:

Yeah, he does lots of other things so well, if he can improve his jumper so players wont give him so much space he'll be much more dangerous..

i'm under the impression that his jumper and whether or not it gets noticeably more efficient will the be difference between him going 1st or going 3 and below.

with Skal's height, polish, IQ, and potential, Jaylen Brown's size for position, explosion, and raw potential, Brandon Ingram's darkhorse potential, shooting stroke, length, and room for physical development Ben needs to be more complete to sell himself as that guy. Teams might not have a problem passing over him for the kids with the higher perceived ceilings.
Watch More Basketball

pratik1994
Sophomore
And1: 294

Post#53 » by pratik1994 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 11:14 pm

i see him has a poor lebron. 20-5-7 in his prime seems reasonable
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#54 » by reanimator » Mon Jul 6, 2015 11:16 pm

pratik1994 wrote:i see him has a poor lebron. 20-5-7 in his prime seems reasonable

You think he can be that kind of scorer? I think he has to add some shake to his game and add a jumper before I could see him as a 20 ppg guy.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by Marcus » Mon Jul 6, 2015 11:16 pm

pratik1994 wrote:i see him has a poor lebron. 20-5-7 in his prime seems reasonable

Been throwing around a Grant Hill comp for a minute.
Watch More Basketball

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#56 » by mattao313 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:49 am

Josh Smith with a brain?
Championships
splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

Ben Simmons 

Post#57 » by splendidham » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:58 am

Hopefully Ed Palubinskas, who is supposedly a pretty great shooting coach helps Ben fix any kinks in his shot

Dcebucks11
Banned User

Post#58 » by Dcebucks11 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 2:58 am

scotty pippen?
Masterfully
Starter
And1: 1,435

Post#59 » by Masterfully » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:18 am

Kyle Anderson with athleticism?
pratik1994
Sophomore
And1: 294

Post#60 » by pratik1994 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:34 pm

reanimator wrote:

You think he can be that kind of scorer? I think he has to add some shake to his game and add a jumper before I could see him as a 20 ppg guy.

Yea in his prime if everything works out should be a solid 18-20ppg guy. I think getting a jumper is one of the hardest things to develop though unlike most scouts. You either got the stroke or you dont.

I dont see him as a great defender though.

Return to NBA Draft