Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Justise Winslow 

Post#21 » by No-Man » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:11 pm

ItsThatEasy wrote:
Looking at the draft it's become obvious Stanley Johnson and Justice Winslow are going to benefit the most from this trend of wings who kind of do it all and play within the flow of the offense.

Stan is not really that type, and Id say Parsons and Hayward are not either, none new Butler either.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 1, 2014 12:02 am

Leonard is a top 20 player. I think he'd be top 10 if not for the conjunctivitis problem he's been playing through.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM

Post#23 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 1, 2014 9:47 am

Ruzious wrote:Leonard is a top 20 player. I think he'd be top 10 if not for the conjunctivitis problem he's been playing through.

Sure, top10... he is a great guy at what he does, he is perfect for what the Spurs run, but he is not, not even close to be a great player, talent, star, or a top20 guy, not even top10...

Seriously, how can you consider him that high? having, in no really order, James, Durant, Anthony, Griffin, Westbrook, Paul, Davis, Howard, Harden, Curry, Love, Parker, Aldridge, George, Wall, Nowitzki, Bosh, Gasol, Cousins, Irving, Lillard, Duncan, Wade, Bryant, Rose, Rondo, Jefferson, Noah, Conley, Thompson, Johnson, Millsap, Dragic, Lowry, DeRozan,... as clearly better players when they are healthy right now, you can say that Leonard is top40, at most, going higher is clearly overreaction on your part.

I´d say top50-60 to be honest, and to be more sure, he is on par and in a similar level to many guys in that range.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 1, 2014 1:38 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Leonard is a top 20 player. I think he'd be top 10 if not for the conjunctivitis problem he's been playing through.

Sure, top10... he is a great guy at what he does, he is perfect for what the Spurs run, but he is not, not even close to be a great player, talent, star, or a top20 guy, not even top10...

Seriously, how can you consider him that high? having, in no really order, James, Durant, Anthony, Griffin, Westbrook, Paul, Davis, Howard, Harden, Curry, Love, Parker, Aldridge, George, Wall, Nowitzki, Bosh, Gasol, Cousins, Irving, Lillard, Duncan, Wade, Bryant, Rose, Rondo, Jefferson, Noah, Conley, Thompson, Johnson, Millsap, Dragic, Lowry, DeRozan,... as clearly better players when they are healthy right now, you can say that Leonard is top40, at most, going higher is clearly overreaction on your part.

I´d say top50-60 to be honest, and to be more sure, he is on par and in a similar level to many guys in that range.

There's no question he's better than several of the players you mentioned. I'll just leave it at the fact that we couldn't disagree more on Leonard, and as long as he stays healthy, I'm confident it'll be obvious to anyone who can tell the difference between a HS player and a pro.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM

Post#25 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 1, 2014 3:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:There's no question he's better than several of the players you mentioned. I'll just leave it at the fact that we couldn't disagree more on Leonard, and as long as he stays healthy, I'm confident it'll be obvious to anyone who can tell the difference between a HS player and a pro.

better than whom? he hasnt prove to be at that level at all, there is 0 argument to be made of him being better than any of those guys.

Leonard improved a lot under Popovich and the Spurs system is better for him to grow, but if anyone is expecting a major star from his career... well you are going to get severely disappointed to say the least.

He is a great role player, and going back to the topic, I think Winslow, who has not the freakish length Leonard does, but is by far a better athlete (Leonard is a really average athlete, I dont really know where you got the grea from), and is far ahead Leonard was at this level of competion, has a higher potential than what Kawhi had, and what him has become.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 1, 2014 7:06 pm

Fischella wrote:
Ruzious wrote:There's no question he's better than several of the players you mentioned. I'll just leave it at the fact that we couldn't disagree more on Leonard, and as long as he stays healthy, I'm confident it'll be obvious to anyone who can tell the difference between a HS player and a pro.

better than whom? he hasnt prove to be at that level at all, there is 0 argument to be made of him being better than any of those guys.

Leonard improved a lot under Popovich and the Spurs system is better for him to grow, but if anyone is expecting a major star from his career... well you are going to get severely disappointed to say the least.

He is a great role player, and going back to the topic, I think Winslow, who has not the freakish length Leonard does, but is by far a better athlete (Leonard is a really average athlete, I dont really know where you got the grea from), and is far ahead Leonard was at this level of competion, has a higher potential than what Kawhi had, and what him has become.

I said I'd leave it at that. That means it's not worth it to me to discuss it anymore. I wish I had more time, but I gotta pay bills.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#27 » by treefi » Mon Dec 1, 2014 8:17 pm

Fischella wrote:

I would likely take Leonard right now over Rose, Dragic and (Joe?) Johnson, perhaps even DeRozan, Wade and Noah... Also, this is probably the last year Bryant(39% shooting, 28% from 3 after missing an entire year due to injury at age 35) and Duncan(he will turn 39 next year) will be on that list. Nowitzki(turning 37) might drop off, too... Let's not forget Leonard has played his entire career on the best team in the league.

If Leonard played for a team like the 76ers, he'd likely average more than 22ppg, 8rpg, 2apg, 2spg on 45% shooting, and we already know his defense is elite.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#28 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 1, 2014 8:25 pm

leonard is not and is never going to be an alpha dog, if he played for Philly they will still suck balls, I couldnt care less abut his numbers if that is the case.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#29 » by treefi » Mon Dec 1, 2014 8:29 pm

Fischella wrote:leonard is not and is never going to be an alpha dog, if he played for Philly they will still suck balls, I couldnt care less abut his numbers if that is the case.

Sure, but imagine someone like DeRozan on San Antonio.. Does he average more than 14/15ppg? If they switched teams to start their careers, I imagine most NBA-fans would consider Leonard the better player at this point.

C - Henry Sims (Joel Embiid next year)
PF - Nerlens Noel
SF - Kawhi Leonard
PG - Michael Carter-Williams
SG - Tony Wroten or K.J. McDaniels

I think they'd be better than Charlotte, maybe Detroit.. :lol:
No-Man
RealGM

Post#30 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 1, 2014 8:40 pm

Nope, they wont, they will still be the worst team in the league.

I think DeRozan might be a worse fit for the Spurs, but he is a more gifted player than Leonard, a better athlete and way better 1on1 guy, it just depends on what you need.

Will I trade DeMar for Leonard if I am the Raptors? no way, will I do it if I am the Spurs, well, for this title run, or until the Duncan-Ginobili-Parker trio works, no, after that? probably yes.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#31 » by MGrand15 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 6:30 am

It's funny how overrated high volume scoring is and how underrated defense is.

Yeah, Kawhi plays elite defense but can he score 21 ppg, shoot 41% from the field, take contested mid-range jumpers and turn it over a lot? That's the real question!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Ruzious » Tue Dec 2, 2014 8:33 pm

I know I said I was out of this thread, but when someone insists a player like DeRozan is better than Leonard, it's hard to stay away. There are basically 2 ways of evaluating players - one is scouting and the other is studying stats (and by stats I don't mean points per game). I don't care much for analysis totally based on one or the other. I like a combination. No matter what you think scouting the 2 players, to say DeRozan is better is to completely ignore relevant stats. Btw, scouting them - it's clear to me that Leonard is the better defensive and offensive player of the 2 - regardless of team.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#33 » by Cammo101 » Tue Dec 2, 2014 9:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:I know I said I was out of this thread, but when someone insists a player like DeRozan is better than Leonard, it's hard to stay away. There are basically 2 ways of evaluating players - one is scouting and the other is studying stats (and by stats I don't mean points per game). I don't care much for analysis totally based on one or the other. I like a combination. No matter what you think scouting the 2 players, to say DeRozan is better is to completely ignore relevant stats. Btw, scouting them - it's clear to me that Leonard is the better defensive and offensive player of the 2 - regardless of team.

It's the overrated of points per game as the be all end of statistic. Which it of course is not.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#34 » by ColdBlooded » Wed Dec 3, 2014 5:22 am

So is this thread about Kawhi Leonard now?
Sam Hinkie crew.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#35 » by Marcus » Wed Dec 3, 2014 5:44 am

ColdBlooded wrote:So is this thread about Kawhi Leonard now?

Yes sir. Yes it is.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#36 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:28 pm

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#37 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:28 pm

You literally aren't allowed to mention Leonard in a thread unless you intend for it to be taken completely off track.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#38 » by shangrila » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:04 am

treefi wrote:I think they'd be better than Charlotte, maybe Detroit.. :lol:

And the Wolves :(
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#39 » by laika » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:24 am

Is Winslow injured? He has been terrible lately.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#40 » by Marcus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:30 am

laika wrote:Is Winslow injured? He has been terrible lately.

word is he's been nursing bad ribs
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY

Return to NBA Draft