Justise Winslow

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Re: Justise Winslow 

Post#81 » by Cammo101 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:40 am

Mr Sixer wrote:People whose draft board fluctuates drastically over tournament games deserve not to post on this board.

I don't think that's totally fair. The tourney is where we see these guys matched up against other elite teams and player, under the brightest microscope. So how they play in that pressure cooker should be weighed quite a bit.

With Winslow specifically though, I think it's a little unwise to declare him a top 5 pick after a couple good games. He's already proven to be a guy that looks great some times, and looks lost others. It shouldn't be some big surprised he had a great game. Good player, definate lotto pick, but people are going a little too crazy for him right now.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#82 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:58 pm

Winslow coming thru once again down the stretch
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#83 » by Marcus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:58 am

The tourney is helping his case I need some of that forced action to calm down though. I dunno if he was showing off because he was home but he played outside of himself a little.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#84 » by DickGrayson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:34 am

Cammo101 wrote:
Mr Sixer wrote:People whose draft board fluctuates drastically over tournament games deserve not to post on this board.

I don't think that's totally fair. The tourney is where we see these guys matched up against other elite teams and player, under the brightest microscope. So how they play in that pressure cooker should be weighed quite a bit.

With Winslow specifically though, I think it's a little unwise to declare him a top 5 pick after a couple good games. He's already proven to be a guy that looks great some times, and looks lost others. It shouldn't be some big surprised he had a great game. Good player, definate lotto pick, but people are going a little too crazy for him right now.

Having great games....in the most important time of the year where the games matter most....and it's unwise to declare him a top 5 pick? Do you realize how silly that sounds? Winslow is increasing his draft stock deservingly.
JimboSlice
Senior
And1: 16

Justise Winslow 

Post#85 » by JimboSlice » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:26 pm

I'm not a big Winslow fan. He's an imposing athlete, and has phenomenal energy. Also a pretty good catch and shoot guy.

However, in matchups throughout the season where he's faced athletes of a similar caliber, he hasn't been the same player. Inability to create off the dribble really limits him there. I think on a good team he comes out to be a very solid role player, but if I'm picking in the top 10, I'm hoping to get more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#86 » by Marcus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:35 pm

JimboSlice wrote:I'm not a big Winslow fan. He's an imposing athlete, and has phenomenal energy. Also a pretty good catch and shoot guy.

However, in matchups throughout the season where he's faced athletes of a similar caliber, he hasn't been the same player. Inability to create off the dribble really limits him there. I think on a good team he comes out to be a very solid role player, but if I'm picking in the top 10, I'm hoping to get more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what are you hoping to get of a top ten pick?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#87 » by Cammo101 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:18 pm

DickGrayson wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

Having great games....in the most important time of the year where the games matter most....and it's unwise to declare him a top 5 pick? Do you realize how silly that sounds? Winslow is increasing his draft stock deservingly.

He certainly has helped his cause, but we already knew he was the kind of player who when on, can have games like this. But, he has proven just as likely to completely disappear in games as well. Is he turning it on in big games, or does he just happen to be running hot at the right time?

Winslow has incredible tools, but he has proven very inconsistent in year one. Some of that probably has to do with injuries, but we can't just sweep that under the rug because he had a couple good tourney games. That was my point. He is still a very high level prospect.
gags1288
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#88 » by gags1288 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:27 pm

That's kind of how it works for freshman in college, they aren't the most consistent players. Every single player in this draft class (and all other draft classes, for that matter) have mixed in sub-par games throughout the season.

That said, since playing only 10 minutes against St. Johns on January 25th (due to injury), Duke has played 18 games. Justise has played well in 17 of those 18 games (the lone exception being the Feb. 9th game against Florida St.). That's not a few tournament games, that's half a season of consistently very good play from a freshman.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#89 » by Cammo101 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:53 pm

He's definitely been better as the season has gone on. He's too talented to disappear in games. I think he's just a frustrating prospect, because he looks like an NBA All Star when he's mentally checked in. Now that I really look at it, it is a pretty inconsistent group as far as the Freshman are concerned. Outside of Okafor, Townes, and Russell, pretty much all these Freshman run really hot and cold it seems.
gags1288
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#90 » by gags1288 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:13 pm

I think people are manufacturing issues with Justise Winslow to denigrate him as a prospect. I think the idea that he's inconsistent in his effort, inconsistent in his play, and a boneheaded player are myths that are being perpetuated to further certain narratives; he's none of those things.

His negatives are that his mid-range shooting sucks, his FT shooting is sub-par, he's probably slightly on the small size in terms of height/length for a SF, and he doesn't have a great handle (although I'd argue it's good).

His positives are that he's a fierce competitor, that he's really improved his long range shooting over the last year, and that he's an excellent defender. He projects to be, at a minimum, a very good 3 and D small forward.

Teams that are in love with competitive kids like Marcus Smart and MKG will have him very high on their draft boards (I think he's better as a prospect than Smart, probably slightly worse than MKG coming out of college). Teams that are looking for a super star might have him a little lower in hopes that maybe another guy has better raw tools and therefore a higher upside. Any team that has him outside of the top 8 and below Stanley Johnson and/or Kelly Oubre is, in my opinion, crazy.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#91 » by Cammo101 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:34 pm

gags1288 wrote:I think people are manufacturing issues with Justise Winslow to denigrate him as a prospect. I think the idea that he's inconsistent in his effort, inconsistent in his play, and a boneheaded player are myths that are being perpetuated to further certain narratives; he's none of those things.

His negatives are that his mid-range shooting sucks, his FT shooting is sub-par, he's probably slightly on the small size in terms of height/length for a SF, and he doesn't have a great handle (although I'd argue it's good).

His positives are that he's a fierce competitor, that he's really improved his long range shooting over the last year, and that he's an excellent defender. He projects to be, at a minimum, a very good 3 and D small forward.

Teams that are in love with competitive kids like Marcus Smart and MKG will have him very high on their draft boards (I think he's better as a prospect than Smart, probably slightly worse than MKG coming out of college). Teams that are looking for a super star might have him a little lower in hopes that maybe another guy has better raw tools and therefore a higher upside. Any team that has him outside of the top 8 and below Stanley Johnson and/or Kelly Oubre is, in my opinion, crazy.

I think people are holding him to that high standard because his talent level is so high. I think, whether it due to effort, scheme, injury or some combination of the three, he definitely disappeared way too much for his talent level in the first half of the season. But he has the body, drive, and skillset to be special. If he can keep that intensity up.

I can see an argument for Oubre ahead of him based on pure upside, but not Stanley Johnson IMO. Because Stanley Johnson is a similar kind of player to Winslow now, but with a lower ceiling IMO.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#92 » by richboy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:53 pm

The most over used word every year on freshman players "Inconsistent". I don't understand it and wonder why people expect such young players to be consistent. So many of the players that people miss on the ones they claim as inconsistent. Winslow is easy a top 5 pick. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than that.

I personally had MKG way down on my board. I'm still not sure why he was drafted so high. When you can't shoot or create. I think Winslow has a lot of Kawhi Leonard in his game. Who I had as the 3rd best player in his draft. He not the rebounder Leonard was in college but he could be similar in the pros. As a freshman he probably a better player than Kawhi was at the same stage. Leonard should have went much higher. Winslow will go where Kawhi should have went.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#93 » by EricAnderson » Wed Apr 1, 2015 11:51 pm

How is Winslows handle? If that's ok sky's the limit

As far as his inconsistency I think because of how quickly freshmen are thrown into the spotlight nowadays we forget how young these guys are and speak in negative defininitives about 18 and 19 year olds games which is just crazy..

Plus he's on a team that has relied so heavily on one player in Okafor so that could be part of why he hasn't been overly aggressive till lately when Okafors struggled
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#94 » by EricAnderson » Wed Apr 1, 2015 11:55 pm

richboy wrote:The most over used word every year on freshman players "Inconsistent". I don't understand it and wonder why people expect such young players to be consistent. So many of the players that people miss on the ones they claim as inconsistent. Winslow is easy a top 5 pick. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than that.

I personally had MKG way down on my board. I'm still not sure why he was drafted so high. When you can't shoot or create. I think Winslow has a lot of Kawhi Leonard in his game. Who I had as the 3rd best player in his draft. He not the rebounder Leonard was in college but he could be similar in the pros. As a freshman he probably a better player than Kawhi was at the same stage. Leonard should have went much higher. Winslow will go where Kawhi should have went.

Yep I never got the Mkg hype his shot was broken from the beginning I knew he'd be useless offensively in the half outr

While Winslow probably will never be a go to guy offensively there's no reason to think with his skillset he can't at least reach a Leonard or Butler level
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#95 » by orlandomanic » Thu Apr 2, 2015 10:26 am

Like alot have already said, his ceiling could be Kawhi or Butler, but his floor could be Xavier Henry or Harrison Barnes. His middle could be Caron Butler.

Winslow passes the eye test, but the eye test is very unreliable, just look at Michael Beasley, Marvin Williams, Evan Turner, and Derrick Williams.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#96 » by DickGrayson » Thu Apr 2, 2015 12:24 pm

richboy wrote:The most over used word every year on freshman players "Inconsistent". I don't understand it and wonder why people expect such young players to be consistent. So many of the players that people miss on the ones they claim as inconsistent. Winslow is easy a top 5 pick. Matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than that.

I agree. Winslow may come off as inconsistent but it take these wings a while to add different dimensions to their game. Leonard was never a great 3pt shooter before the Spurs. Butler needed time to do what he does today. Even Middleton has come into form. Winslow has been the best player for DUKE the last two games and they're in the final 4. I wouldn't be surprised to see Winslow picked as high as 4 if he continues.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#97 » by BoutPractice » Sun Apr 5, 2015 4:25 pm

He's got an NBA body, NBA style game, looks impressive in big moments and ticks a lot of boxes production wise.

6-6, 6-10 wingspan is great for a SG, may be a bit undersized for a SF but his strength sort of makes up for it.

Per 40 he averages 9 rebounds (fantastic for a swingman), 2 steals, 1 block, shoots college 3s over 40%, and has a positive assist to turnover ratio.

No one doubts for a second that he belongs in the NBA. He seems like he's got a pretty high floor as a quality role player who can do a bit of everything, and if his shooting translates and handles / free throws improve, you're looking at a star.

Any lottery team that already has a go to guy they're satisfied with should consider taking him.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#98 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Apr 5, 2015 4:29 pm

Winslow plays with the type of energy that impacts a game. You know he's on the court, 'cause he's wrecking havoc out there most of the time. He's got game-changing ability with his defence, energy alone.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#99 » by j-ragg » Sun Apr 5, 2015 9:19 pm

Hoping the Magic can nab him at 5, depending on his predraft measurements.

Elfird/Oladipo/Winslow/Gordon/Vucevic

Good defensive team even with our center not playing a lick of it. But Winslow's stock seems to be climbing quite a bit.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Im Your Father
Senior
And1: 254

Post#100 » by Im Your Father » Sun Apr 5, 2015 9:57 pm

j-ragg wrote:Hoping the Magic can nab him at 5, depending on his predraft measurements.

I'm curious as the the impact that he measurements will have on his evaluation? We know that he measured at 6'6, 229 without shoes in 2014, with a 6'10 wingspan. He will likely be listed at least 6'7 in the NBA.

Will his athletic testing make or break it for you? Because I feel like regardless of how he measures out, we have seen that he has terrific in game speed, excellent leaping ability, and elite lateral quickness for a player his size. What specifically will you be looking for at the combine?

Return to NBA Draft