The Best Wing Prospect

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: The Best Wing Prospect 

Post#41 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:42 am

Winslow is a better pick&roll player than Stan is.

By a landslide.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#42 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:43 pm

Fischella wrote:Winslow is a better pick&roll player than Stan is.

By a landslide.

Same position, different skill sets.

In Johnson's defense, Winslow has much better P&R partners to work with at Duke.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#43 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:31 pm

I'm convinced that Justin Anderson has evolved into a player worthy of a top 10 pick - even though draftexpress has him at 30. He's dramatically improved his offensive game in his junior year and was always a top defender - playing with an edge to his game. Excellent length, athleticism, and intensity - now with much better skills.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#44 » by Mik317 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'm convinced that Justin Anderson has evolved into a player worthy of a top 10 pick - even though draftexpress has him at 30. He's dramatically improved his offensive game in his junior year and was always a top defender - playing with an edge to his game. Excellent length, athleticism, and intensity - now with much better skills.

Stayed more than 1 year and thus is too old.

No exceptions.

He should begin filling out social security now.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#45 » by ManualRam » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:15 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'm convinced that Justin Anderson has evolved into a player worthy of a top 10 pick - even though draftexpress has him at 30. He's dramatically improved his offensive game in his junior year and was always a top defender - playing with an edge to his game. Excellent length, athleticism, and intensity - now with much better skills.

and .net has him lotto which is silly. their mock fluctuates so much that its obvious they're more reactionary than actually know how to project. i'd lean more towards where DX has him than .net.
in any case, anderson reminds me of what pj tucker has become. physically strong, bouncy, tough defender, moves well off the ball, who has improved his 3 ball drastically. like tucker, i don't see much stuff off the bounce from anderson outside of straight line drives. i don't see the creativity or ball skill. he's been well-coached though so he could be a solid plug and play if the 3 ball translates immediately.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:56 pm

ManualRam wrote:

and .net has him lotto which is silly. their mock fluctuates so much that its obvious they're more reactionary than actually know how to project. i'd lean more towards where DX has him than .net.
in any case, anderson reminds me of what pj tucker has become. physically strong, bouncy, tough defender, moves well off the ball, who has improved his 3 ball drastically. like tucker, i don't see much stuff off the bounce from anderson outside of straight line drives. i don't see the creativity or ball skill. he's been well-coached though so he could be a solid plug and play if the 3 ball translates immediately.

That's a fair comparison - though I think Anderson is a much better defender. He can defend pretty much anyone - including guards. And Tucker's played a lot of 4 partly because he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend guys on the perimeter. Also, I think Anderson's an inch or 2 taller and longer.

I like that UVA team. They have 2 other juniors that probably won't ever be 1st rounders but I think will play in the NBA. Mike Tobey is a solid 7 footer who isn't at all flashy and fouls way too much, but he's such a good fundamental offensive player. And Brodgon is not an athletic wing player, but he has such a high BBIQ and anticipates so well on defense that I think he'll make it. Plus, he's run their offense well when Perrantes (sp?) needed breaks. He's just good at basketball.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#47 » by ManualRam » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:26 am

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:

That's a fair comparison - though I think Anderson is a much better defender. He can defend pretty much anyone - including guards. And Tucker's played a lot of 4 partly because he doesn't have the lateral quickness to defend guys on the perimeter. Also, I think Anderson's an inch or 2 taller and longer.

I like that UVA team. They have 2 other juniors that probably won't ever be 1st rounders but I think will play in the NBA. Mike Tobey is a solid 7 footer who isn't at all flashy and fouls way too much, but he's such a good fundamental offensive player. And Brodgon is not an athletic wing player, but he has such a high BBIQ and anticipates so well on defense that I think he'll make it. Plus, he's run their offense well when Perrantes (sp?) needed breaks. He's just good at basketball.

cant agree about tucker's defensive prowess. he's a good defender who can defend 2-4. he defends some PFs like griffin because he can, not because his perimeter defense is lacking. anderson might have height on pj, but pj has a very good wingspan,
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Powe-Fessional
Junior
And1: 490

Post#48 » by Powe-Fessional » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:10 pm

I like Oubre, Johnson, and Winslow all for different reasons.

Johnson could play in the NBA today. Yeah, he might not contribute that much on the offensive end, but he'd earn his PT with his defense and rebounding kind of like Marcus Smart. He has better vision than we've seen at Arizona, but the lack of movement hurts that attribute (Arizona's offense looks terrible at times).

Justice I think is more athletic than Johnson, but is the rawest offensively of the three. He has good speed and a good first step, but his lack of handle limits him in that department. Very fun to watch in transition w/ or w/o the ball. Jumper needs to be refined. It's not MKG bad, but he's behind the other two in shooting ability. Extremely good defensively and it's two fold. Has great length and speed, and understands his role most of the time as a team defender. Really special on-ball defender.

My guy right now, and it changes as the season moves on, is actually Kelly Oubre. Really long, fluid athlete, willing rebounder, good at defense but could be better at it, good speed, and has the best jumper by far of the three guys. He was buried on Self's bench to start the year but has seen an uptick in PT lately. Since he's gotten 25 min/game Oubre's stats look like this (points/rebounds): 23/10, 9/7, 20/7, 12/10, 3/5, 14/3, 14/6 on 52%/48%/15-28 FT. Again, his handle needs some fine tuning and he needs to add some bulk, but he's the smoothest of all the prospects.

All three of these guys need to learn how to move better without the ball, and you could say the same thing about all the younger players right now. That'll get better with more experience.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,247

Post#49 » by Catchall » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:40 am

Jazz fans are comparing Oubre to Rodney Hood a bit. Oubre is the better end-to-end athlete. Hood seems to have more of a penchant for defense at this stage, but Hood is older and more developed. Oubre has potential defensively. Both are somewhat streaky shooters, but should become more consistent as they mature.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#50 » by brackdan70 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:03 am

Catchall wrote:Jazz fans are comparing Oubre to Rodney Hood a bit. Oubre is the better end-to-end athlete. Hood seems to have more of a penchant for defense at this stage, but Hood is older and more developed. Oubre has potential defensively. Both are somewhat streaky shooters, but should become more consistent as they mature.

I don't see any similarities besides the position they play. Oubre is much longer and athletic, and a better shooter than Hood was a s a freshman.
Sign here
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#51 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:15 am

I like Kelly Oubre and Stan Johnson as wing prospects.
PICKnPOP
Sophomore
And1: 39

The Best Wing Prospect 

Post#52 » by PICKnPOP » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Are we considering Russell a pg?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#53 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:24 pm

PICKnPOP wrote:Are we considering Russell a pg?

He is, and he is clearly not a swingman.

Hezonja said something about staying in Barça until he is great and win stuff, I guess that might mean that he will stay for a couple of seasons in Europe.

That will probably make him the last wing to be picked, and out of the top10.

could be a huge win down the road for teams like Denver, Atlanta, OKC or Houston that are projected to have late lotto picks.
Even Philadelphia with Miami's pick.
Syracutica
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#54 » by Syracutica » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:25 pm

What Winslow did in November will forever be ingrained in people's perception of him. At this point, he's not a game changing on-ball defender(more than likely will become one, though), his shot is streaky and I've been a little surprised at his tendency to settle for threes. I think it's Stanley Johnson, and I think there's a sizable gap after him. Johnson and Winslow are much closer in potential, so as far as actual "prospect", the gap isn't that large, but right now I think SJ is the clear #1.

I don't ever see Winslow being a #1 scoring option on a good team. He'll have games where he explodes, but I see a 15ppg type of potential with him. Which in no way is bad. But Johnson has that #1 scoring option potential, IMO. Considering similarities in athleticism, defensive potential, size(SJ is bigger even, I believe), I think this is where the gap really widens.
No, I'm not Canadian. No, I'm not originally from Canada. No, Upstate New York is not Canada. One can be a Jays fan without being Canadian, so save the "Go back to Canada" comments. :D
gdagod10
Sophomore
And1: 154

Post#55 » by gdagod10 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Johnson>>>>>>>>>Oubre>>>Winslow. There is so much lacking from Winslow's game that it's hard to ignore. Although, it is difficult to assess when Duke's offensive scheme is GE THE BALL TO OKAFOR. Oubre is so much smoother and gets to the rim with way less effort than Winslow. Winslow's shooting mechanics are very raw and he doesn't have any go to moves to get to the rim. What he has going for him is a great wingspan as well as superior athleticism. It's still really early though and in the beginning of the season most people had written off Oubre, so maybe Winslow steps it up.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#56 » by MrTwister » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Fischella wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:Are we considering Russell a pg?

He is, and he is clearly not a swingman.

Hezonja said something about staying in Barça until he is great and win stuff, I guess that might mean that he will stay for a couple of seasons in Europe.

That will probably make him the last wing to be picked, and out of the top10.

could be a huge win down the road for teams like Denver, Atlanta, OKC or Houston that are projected to have late lotto picks.
Even Philadelphia with Miami's pick.

Hezonja's contract is like that he can opt out to go to NBA or to opt into new 4 year contract with Barca with 2 mil $ buyout.More and more scouts believe that he is NBA bound from next year.Not sure how mch it can hurt his stock but it can be huge win for late lottery teams even though his talent and potential is probably worthy of top 5 pick.

Return to NBA Draft