Sam Dekker

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Sam Dekker 

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jan 8, 2015 1:36 am

Has Sam Dekker's stock dropped? I've been watching him recently and noticed he grew from 6'7 to 6'9 at his time in Wisconsin and this season he looks even taller. He looks like he's 6'10. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised by his height when he's measured at the combine.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Re: Sam Dekker 

Post#2 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:31 am

Bump this man.

Dude was awesome vs. Arizona's D and Stanley Johnson/RHJ

27 pts 5-6 3pt FGs, clutch shot-making. He's a legit 6'9'' too
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#3 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:50 am

Yeah - he might be 6' 10" now and he's a SF. Not a tweener. A very tall SF. He can guard the perimeter and handle the rock which before were his weaknesses along with being passive. Now his game is complete.

Maybe good Hedo.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
teerfour+40LG
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,129

Post#4 » by teerfour+40LG » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:52 am

He's huge.
bucephalus
Junior
And1: 51

Post#5 » by bucephalus » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:52 am

I'm a little wary getting caught up in the hype in the wake of one or two really good games, but he was fantastic against Zona. He's a 6'9" forward with legit ball handling and three point shooting. I like him better than Devin Booker. He could even go in the lottery if he plays a good game against Kentucky, maybe bump Oubre or Johnson down a bit?
Austincys21
Veteran
And1: 733

Post#6 » by Austincys21 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:16 am

Lakers like him with the HOU pick
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#7 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:21 am

bucephalus wrote:I'm a little wary getting caught up in the hype in the wake of one or two really good games, but he was fantastic against Zona. He's a 6'9" forward with legit ball handling and three point shooting. I like him better than Devin Booker. He could even go in the lottery if he plays a good game against Kentucky, maybe bump Oubre or Johnson down a bit?

The first half of the season he was hobbled by a ankle he severely twisted shortly before the start of the season. When his ankle started feeling better in late January, early February, he had quite a few good games for the Badgers the rest of the season. Including some when Kaminsky played average.
He's really not that good of a three ball shooter like what he shot against Arizona, but he can hit from outside, take it to the basket, and do lob dunks.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#8 » by skones » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:28 am

I think his growth spurt is what really affected the lack of consistency in his jump shot over the past two seasons. If he becomes more consistent from deep, he'll be a very solid player in the league. Think Thaddeus Young.
bucephalus
Junior
And1: 51

Post#9 » by bucephalus » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:32 am

Johnlac1 wrote:
bucephalus wrote:I'm a little wary getting caught up in the hype in the wake of one or two really good games, but he was fantastic against Zona. He's a 6'9" forward with legit ball handling and three point shooting. I like him better than Devin Booker. He could even go in the lottery if he plays a good game against Kentucky, maybe bump Oubre or Johnson down a bit?

The first half of the season he was hobbled by a ankle he severely twisted shortly before the start of the season. When his ankle started feeling better in late January, early February, he had quite a few good games for the Badgers the rest of the season. Including some when Kaminsky played average.
He's really not that good of a three ball shooter like what he shot against Arizona, but he can hit from outside, take it to the basket, and do lob dunks.

That makes me a lot more optimistic for a good game in the Final Four. However, I wasn't talking just about this year. He's a junior, and a lot of people have been waiting for him to show what he's shown in the past two games. I think he set his career high for points in the UNC game, with 23.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#10 » by Dcebucks11 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:58 am

was wrong about him, he took stan johnson to school today
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#11 » by reanimator » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:13 am

You can buy if you want. Fool's gold.
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#12 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:35 am

reanimator wrote:You can buy if you want. Fool's gold.

LeVert is fool's gold with his foot injuries (Buyer beware). Dekker is a legit wing player that played better than two of the best SF in the nation. I wondered why he was so average at the start of the year and now we know why.

I won't say Thad, he has more skill than that.

I also don't think he will be around until the Lakers second pick. If they win the tourney he definitely won't be around.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#13 » by reanimator » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:37 am

Kevin Willis wrote:

LeVert is fool's gold with his foot injuries (Buyer beware). Dekker is a legit wing player that played better than two of the best SF in the nation. I wondered why he was so average at the start of the year and now we know why.

Don't duck when I bump this next year :lol:
Kevin Willis
RealGM

Post#14 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:44 am

reanimator wrote:
Kevin Willis wrote:

Don't duck when I bump this next year :lol:

:lol: You're on. LeVert has more potential than Dekker but I worry about his injuries. LeVert can start, Dekker is 6th man.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:38 am

bucephalus wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:

That makes me a lot more optimistic for a good game in the Final Four. However, I wasn't talking just about this year. He's a junior, and a lot of people have been waiting for him to show what he's shown in the past two games. I think he set his career high for points in the UNC game, with 23.

Sam had a good frosh year by Bo Ryan standards. He probably should have played more, but Bo doesn't give many frosh a lot of playing time. Koenig was probably better than Jackson last year or at least as good. But he got very little playing time.

Last year Dekker's and Kaminsky's stats were almost identical as far as pts. and rbs until the tournament where Frank burst out.
And of course this year Dekker not only had to share the ball with a possible poy like Kaminsky, he was one third of the best front line in Wisconsin history and one of the best in Big Ten history. Nigel Hayes's contributions this year were just about as important as Dekker's.

But the thing to realize is that Jarrod Uthoff of Iowa actually signed with Wisconsin but left during his freshman year three years ago because supposedly he didn't like Bo's system.
If Wisconsin had Uthoff on the team, the frontline of Kaminsky, Dekker, Hayes, and Uthoff would be the best in the country.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#16 » by rumdiary » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:48 pm

I seriously loved Dekker even before this God Tier performnace versus Arizona, but last night was really a showcase.

To make the now cliche'd White Guy vs White Guy comparison, I do see a bit of Larry Bird/Chris Mullin in him. I liken him to Rashard Lewis in his prime, really solid. I have him Top 10 on my board, I'd only be pessimistic if he went to one of those teams who seem unable to develop players like others.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#17 » by Smitty731 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:29 pm

I wonder if Dekker has the handle and defense to get minutes in the NBA. I know both of those have improved a lot, but he seems a little like McDermott to me. Kind of a tweener SF/PF. I think he's a better ball handling/worse rebounding version of Ryan Anderson. Turkoglu is a decent comp, but Turk at his peak was a great ball handler and passer for his position.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:32 pm

rumdiary wrote:I seriously loved Dekker even before this God Tier performnace versus Arizona, but last night was really a showcase.

To make the now cliche'd White Guy vs White Guy comparison, I do see a bit of Larry Bird/Chris Mullin in him. I liken him to Rashard Lewis in his prime, really solid. I have him Top 10 on my board, I'd only be pessimistic if he went to one of those teams who seem unable to develop players like others.

I don't see Sam as being a big star. He's not nearly as skilled in shooting and moves as Bird or Mullin. But a better athlete than either of those two. More of a Chandler Parsons-type player. Which I guess is pretty decent.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#19 » by deanwoof » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:07 pm

If we're gonna compare him to white guys it's obviusly Keith van horn
[e]
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#20 » by [e] » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:25 am

I'd like him in Chicago. Tournament play usually gets overrated though so he could play his way out of range.

Obviously we don't know who will all declare, but I can't see him being a lottery pick. Think that's a bit of a stretch - seems like an 18-24 range kind of player.

Return to NBA Draft