Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Re: Kevon Looney 

Post#21 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:54 am

We'll have to agree to disagree because my points are valid, you're just choosing to ignore them completely.

You're a numbers guy. 32 minute per game at 220 lbs, averaging 4.4 orpg > 22 minutes per game at 245 lbs averaging 1.6 orpg
+ superior team, easier shots created for Turner.

Looney - http://hoop-math.com/UCLA2015.php
Turner - http://hoop-math.com/Texas2015.php

Check out % of shots at rim. Looney is actually banging inside, which goes along with everything that I've said in this thread.

Good talk.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#22 » by EMG518 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:22 am

TyCobb wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree because my points are valid, you're just choosing to ignore them completely.

You're a numbers guy. 32 minute per game at 220 lbs, averaging 4.4 orpg > 22 minutes per game at 245 lbs averaging 1.6 orpg

Check out % of shots at rim. Looney is actually banging inside, which goes along with everything that I've said in this thread.

Good talk.

We will agree to disagree then but your points are not valid. Im not ignoring anything.

You take things out of context to make them fit your agenda. 32 minutes and 4.4 orpg out of context is > 22 minutes and 1.6 orpg. But if you look at things closer you would understand why there is a discrepancy with offensive rebounds. Just from looking at some basic numbers you can come up with some possible reasons. UCLA has a worse fg% while playing at a faster pace with more possessions, they also have a worse ft% while getting to the line more. That equates to more offensive rebounding possibilities for the team. If you look at defensive rebounds though then Turner has the advantage per minute.

Looney is banging inside and grabbing more boards on offense because that is all he is capable of at the moment. If he could get majority of his touches in the post like Turner and score he wouldnt be banging for the offensive boards. Dont think Turner fighting for position constantly in the post doesnt wear on him either. Dont think he isnt banging down low for those defensive boards either.

Good talk
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#23 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:39 am

Yeah, youve got alot of catching up to do... 'all he is capable of doing"... you sound like DX scouting report from 2 years ago.

Quote from a scout... "I saw him in practice and the kid does so much more than he's really allowed to do on the court," one scout said. "UCLA needs him to play a certain way because they just don't have any real bigs to rely on. I think he has all the skills to be an NBA small forward. The more you see him in practice, the more you know there's more there than he's showing in games right now."

Im starting to doubt that youve even seen him play. His teammates are trash and he's still figuring out when to be aggressive.

If you want to talk defense rebound numbers, Turner is on a Top 5 defensive team in the country.

This was about you using offensive percentages to tell me why Turner is a better shooter and I explained to you why the numbers are misleading given each players' circumstances. I will give credit to Turner for not being gunshy from midrange and beyond.

The MPG combined with developing body is so much more significant it should be obvious, but for some reason its not for you.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#24 » by King Ken » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:47 pm

I like his game, I am interested in him for the Hawks. I would prefer a SG but he could fit as a SF and we would be in the market to develop him. What's his BBIQ like? @TyCobb
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#25 » by TyCobb » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:51 am

King Ken wrote:I like his game, I am interested in him for the Hawks. I would prefer a SG but he could fit as a SF and we would be in the market to develop him. What's his BBIQ like? @TyCobb

Very high BBIQ. It's what has made me a serious believer into his ability and potential. Consistently makes the right decision whether it's to pass, drive to the basket, create for others, reads the shot and has a good idea of where he needs to be to rebound the miss. Great effort defensively. He is at the top of UCLA's 3-2 zone, often guards the ball full court, stays out of foul trouble, doesn't turn the ball over too much. He's the reason UCLA is a tourney bubble team. Can't wait till his matchup against Stanley Johnson February 21. Johnson has him by about 40 pounds, so it'll be a good measuring stick to how Looney can handle NBA bodies now. He is much improved from the Kentucky game, especially since UCLA has more of an identity now defensively. Arizona is the far superior team, but if it's close, it's because Looney stepped it up another notch. Gonna need him to be more aggressive offensively or else the UCLA guards are gonna chuck their way out of the game in the first 5 minutes.
Powe-Fessional
Junior
And1: 490

Post#26 » by Powe-Fessional » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:16 pm

TyCobb wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree because my points are valid, you're just choosing to ignore them completely.

Good talk.

I saw him at the beginning of the year and really wasn't sure what to make of him. But those numbers combined in the quote from the scout and what you've said about him has definitely peaked my interest. I'm going to have to DVR the Zona game. Already made a note in my phone. Thank you for this.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#27 » by MalonesElbows » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:45 pm

TyCobb wrote:
King Ken wrote:I like his game, I am interested in him for the Hawks. I would prefer a SG but he could fit as a SF and we would be in the market to develop him. What's his BBIQ like? @TyCobb

Very high BBIQ. It's what has made me a serious believer into his ability and potential. Consistently makes the right decision whether it's to pass, drive to the basket, create for others, reads the shot and has a good idea of where he needs to be to rebound the miss. Great effort defensively. He is at the top of UCLA's 3-2 zone, often guards the ball full court, stays out of foul trouble, doesn't turn the ball over too much. He's the reason UCLA is a tourney bubble team. Can't wait till his matchup against Stanley Johnson February 21. Johnson has him by about 40 pounds, so it'll be a good measuring stick to how Looney can handle NBA bodies now. He is much improved from the Kentucky game, especially since UCLA has more of an identity now defensively. Arizona is the far superior team, but if it's close, it's because Looney stepped it up another notch. Gonna need him to be more aggressive offensively or else the UCLA guards are gonna chuck their way out of the game in the first 5 minutes.

Because 245-220 = 40....
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#28 » by TyCobb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:49 pm

MalonesElbows wrote:
TyCobb wrote:

Because 245-220 = 40....

You gonna watch the game?
MalonesElbows
Starter

Post#29 » by MalonesElbows » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:01 pm

TyCobb wrote:
MalonesElbows wrote:
TyCobb wrote:

Because 245-220 = 40....

You gonna watch the game?

Yep, want to see if Looney can keep hittin that 3 ball.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#30 » by TyCobb » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:03 pm

Nice. Should be a good one. The size (weight) difference between the two is pretty distinguishable... 30 lbs ... 40 lbs. Eh. It's up there. :lol:
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,185

Post#31 » by brackdan70 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:09 am

You guys are talking like He will play the 3 at the next level. Really? I haven't seen him much so just asking.
Sign here
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#32 » by miltk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:36 am

some people here are forgetting how tied ucla is. they're down to 8 schollie players and really only relying on SIX. their best shooter is their converted pg which is a bad thing to begin with. hamilton is cr@pping out. looney is tied to ucla's needs because they are totally strapped for talent. you gotta think looney is fighting underneath all by himself against the other team's front line.
MalonesElbows
Starter

Post#33 » by MalonesElbows » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:41 pm

I think both players dropped one on the mocks after last game.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#34 » by TKainZero » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:54 pm

if looney can keep hitting the 3 ball like he has the last few games, he could be a sf in the nba.
I think he goes in the lottery
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#35 » by campybatman » Tue Apr 7, 2015 3:36 am

UCLA freshman forward Kevon Looney has declared for the NBA Draft, the school announced Monday in a press release.

"This was a really tough decision for me because there were so many positives both ways," Looney said. "My time at UCLA has been unbelievable, and I know I'll be a Bruin forever. But playing in the NBA is a dream I've had for so long, and this feels like the right time to pursue that dream and make the transition to the next level."

Looney averaged 11.6 points and 9.2 rebounds per game last season, leading to his second-team All-Pac 12 selection.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -nba-draft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,382

Post#36 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 5:54 am

What do you think is the absolute lowest Looney drops in the draft? I really hope he drops to the Suns...but knowing my hopes for draft history, if he does, we probably won't take him, though I loved the Warren pick last year.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 5:55 am

brackdan70 wrote:You guys are talking like He will play the 3 at the next level. Really? I haven't seen him much so just asking.

Well, people talk about him being comparable to Odom, so he could play that, but I imagine him more as a stretch four if he bulks up a bit. But not just a stretch four, because he can rebound very well and play inside too.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#38 » by Notanoob » Tue Apr 7, 2015 6:21 am

Looney is really hard to get a read on, even moreso because I can't catch many UCLA games. I just don't know what his offensive game really is. He really doesn't do much scoring at all. The guards are getting all of the touches at UCLA. 14.3 per40 pace adjusted is basically the lowest in the draft among legit prospects outside of Tyus Jones. His FG% at the rim is 61.7%, nothing to write home about, and his 2P% away from the rim is awful (25.7%). He only took 53 3 pointers, so I can't trust his 3P%, and his FT% isn't impressive either at 62.6%. He is very active on the offensive glass, behind only Portis, Towns and Alexander there. He doesn't draw free throws at all either, despite taking most of his looks at the basket and from offensive rebounds. His passing is also solid with a 1.13A/TO, but that isn't mindblowing either and when's he going to have the ball in his hands if he can't get touches in college?

Defensively his numbers are solid, 1.6 steals, 1.1 blocks and 7.2 defensive rebounds, and he has good size and length. He looks like he has NBA caliber athleticism, but he's playing in a funky zone. That throws off his numbers a bit (I'm suspicious of his steal rate), and I can't really evaluate him as a man defender. Even ignoring that, the numbers don't paint him as a real impact defender.

Basically he's go a decent body, solid IQ and should be a decent defender, but everything else is a question mark at best. I don't see incredible upside with him, and frankly I don't have a good idea of what he will be. If your team drafts him, don't have huge expectations for him. He could turn out to be a great jump shooter and leverage that skill to help his slashing and therefore show off his passing, or he could basically be a hustle guy who crashes the glass and moves the ball a la MKG. You can't count on him for anything.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#39 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 7, 2015 8:47 am

bwgood77 wrote:What do you think is the absolute lowest Looney drops in the draft? I really hope he drops to the Suns...but knowing my hopes for draft history, if he does, we probably won't take him, though I loved the Warren pick last year.

I think he is going to be picked in the 17-25 area most likely
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#40 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 2:24 pm

Fischella wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:What do you think is the absolute lowest Looney drops in the draft? I really hope he drops to the Suns...but knowing my hopes for draft history, if he does, we probably won't take him, though I loved the Warren pick last year.

I think he is going to be picked in the 17-25 area most likely

That seems quite low. You seem to be off on mocks quite a bit though.

Return to NBA Draft