Justin Anderson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Justin Anderson 

Post#1 » by nickforthreee » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:03 pm

i know nothing about his game, can someone give me a rundown/scouting report? thanks
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: Justin Anderson 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Looks like a good 3 and D prospect. He's a good defender that can create some havoc with his long arms and athletic abilty and on the offensive end he's a knock down shooter (54% from 3 so far this year) but he's not the greatest ball handler so he has trouble getting to the rim.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#3 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:54 pm

If he can keep his shot going, he was not a shooter the last couple of years, he is kind of like PJ Tucker, his ball skills are average so that really limits his upside kind of, he should be a 1st rounder but I dont see the lottery hype.
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#4 » by hcsilla » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:22 pm

He is much more athletic than PJ Tucker. Right now he seems Tony Allen with a 3P-jumper which can guarantee him a late lottery status if he can keep up shooting the 3-ball as effectively as he does now.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#5 » by Hoopz Afrik » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:50 pm

I like the Tony Allen w/ a 3pt. shot comparison but seems to have a bit more offensive offensive flair...high defensive lock-down potential. I think he'll carve out a nice role in the NBA early in his career.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:58 pm

He didn't have 3 point range till this season, but what he's always had was an edge and intensity to his game - to go along with the athleticism and strength. He's the stud on an unbeaten UVA that shuts down other teams' offenses. Given that he worked hard enough to dramatically improve his shooting, I'd guess there will be more improvements to come. We shall see.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#7 » by SaintofKillers » Fri May 15, 2015 2:39 am

Between him and RHJ, who's the better prospect at this point?
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#8 » by Notanoob » Fri May 15, 2015 3:58 am

Still has to be RHJ. The man is just a freak on defense, even if his offensive game still needs work across the board. Anderson looks more like a guy who will be a solid defender, not an impact guy like RHJ.
massive attack
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#9 » by massive attack » Fri May 15, 2015 7:03 am

Anderson's caught a lot of attention in the 5 on 5s.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,766

Post#10 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun May 17, 2015 2:57 am

Does he have a bit more upside in his offensive game than people think? I'm calling Anderson as one of those picks where we end up saying "he should have been picked much higher than where he went". I think he'll outplay his draft position.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,411
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#11 » by E-Balla » Sun May 17, 2015 3:46 am

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Does he have a bit more upside in his offensive game than people think? I'm calling Anderson as one of those picks where we end up saying "he should have been picked much higher than where he went". I think he'll outplay his draft position.

Yeah. I've been saying for a while on the Knicks board that I want him and he's in my top 14 easily (might've moved to my top 10 after his combine performance). I like him more than guys like Portis, Dekker, Looney, and Booker. I think he needs to go around wherever Jerian goes. Little star potential but with his strength, speed, jumper, and ability to attack on closeouts he should be able to be a good role player kind of like J. Rich was most years. Defensively he's not far behind RHJ and he's over Justise. Overall I expect him to be a 15/6/2 glue guy someday.
Luciferswings
Banned User
And1: 66

Post#12 » by Luciferswings » Sun May 17, 2015 7:22 am

He might be a lotto pick at this point. A lot of teams who wanted him aren't going to even get a work out at this point.
atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#13 » by atlantabbq99 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:51 am

He is a 3D player, and his game last year looks very similar to that of Jimmy Butler when he was in college. It's a long shot that he will be as good as Butler but the window is their if he puts in the hard work and takes it.

Within a few years he should be able to be a decent NBA starter. But if he ever becomes anything special, just like Jeff Teague or Jimmy Butler, it will probably take him 3 to 4 years to have a meaningful impact on a team.

He will probably be riding the bench for his first two years, but could be a steal for the team that gets him.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Post#14 » by Upperclass » Sun May 17, 2015 8:24 am

Terrence Williams. Dumb player.. all looks, no substance.. will not last in the league past two years or so
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#15 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Upperclass wrote:Terrence Williams. Dumb player.. all looks, no substance.. will not last in the league past two years or so

I hope you are making this comparison. Anderson is one of the most smart Basketball players in this class. Has great BBIQ. They couldn't be much more different in terms of comparison.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#16 » by No-Man » Sun May 17, 2015 12:49 pm

King Ken wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Terrence Williams. Dumb player.. all looks, no substance.. will not last in the league past two years or so

I hope you are making this comparison. Anderson is one of the most smart Basketball players in this class. Has great BBIQ. They couldn't be much more different in terms of comparison.

No he is not, he wont demand as much ball as Twill, and he can play better off the ball, but he lacks offensive awareness and has poor ball skills, his floor game is inexistent.
He has some potential due to athleticism and his profile, but if he pans he is basically PJ Tucker, and if he doenst he is out of the league soon, I understand him as a 1st rounder, but not in the top20, people talking about him in the lotto are nuts.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#17 » by No-Man » Sun May 17, 2015 12:51 pm

atlantabbq99 wrote:He is a 3D player, and his game last year looks very similar to that of Jimmy Butler when he was in college.

this is simply not true, they played in quite different teams and settings aswell, also different positions on the floor.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#18 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Fischella wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:He is a 3D player, and his game last year looks very similar to that of Jimmy Butler when he was in college.

this is simply not true, they played in quite different teams and settings aswell, also different positions on the floor.

Agree, he's not Jimmy Butler as well to me.

The player he reminds me of is Michael Finley. Maybe not the same but their two way potential and NBA fit with good BBIQ makes them much better NBA prospects and both came in polished and better than expected.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#19 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 12:56 pm

Fischella wrote:
King Ken wrote:

No he is not, he wont demand as much ball as Twill, and he can play better off the ball, but he lacks offensive awareness and has poor ball skills, his floor game is inexistent.
He has some potential due to athleticism and his profile, but if he pans he is basically PJ Tucker, and if he doenst he is out of the league soon, I understand him as a 1st rounder, but not in the top20, people talking about him in the lotto are nuts.

He's much better than P.J. Tucker. He doesn't offensive awareness either? Did you watch Anderson play? What the hell are you talking about?
King Ken
General Manager

Post#20 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Anderson is legitly one of my favorite prospects. My favorite type, a much better player at this level than at the college level prospect. I see him as a two time All NBA type. I know he has obvious flaws, ball handling and creating offense off the dribble but that not a huge issue when you are an elite athlete with the BBIQ Anderson has.

Return to NBA Draft