Justin Anderson

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Justin Anderson 

Post#21 » by No-Man » Sun May 17, 2015 2:24 pm

Comparing him to Finley is ludicrous, Finley was a baller and much more fluid as an athlete, Anderson is built like a tank.
PJ Tucker is a damn good role player, if Anderson ever develops like that he will probably be worthy of a late lotto pick in a re-draft, I expect him to be worse than PJ.
Big Jaffa
Senior
And1: 138

Post#22 » by Big Jaffa » Sun May 17, 2015 2:39 pm

He's a small forward version of Wes Mathews. Tough, well built defender who can hit the three but limited ability to create a shot.

Mind, I'm talking about Wes through the first few years in the league, over the past couple of year's he's pulled out a good post game Anderson doesn't have.
Rip City
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#23 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 2:43 pm

Fischella wrote:Comparing him to Finley is ludicrous, Finley was a baller and much more fluid as an athlete, Anderson is built like a tank.
PJ Tucker is a damn good role player, if Anderson ever develops like that he will probably be worthy of a late lotto pick in a re-draft, I expect him to be worse than PJ.

Anderson is very similar to Finley. He's not similar to Tucker. He is a much better athlete, much better playmaking skills, much better BBIQ and off the ball skills and is a MUCH better shooter than Tucker. I think he could be better than Finley in the right system.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#24 » by No-Man » Sun May 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Much better shooter than Tucker? Anderson has been a good shooter for 2-3 months in his career, PJ has been making 3-4 threes a game for the Suns, shooting around 37% from NBA range, in the last two years.
Tucker is a terrific athlete for his size and much longer than Anderson.
Finley was an All Star guard with game, he could dance on people and was a much better 1on1 player than Anderson is ever going to be, that comparison has no legs, their physical profiles are different as well, Finley was a big guard, but he was lankier than Anderson, who has a much stronger upper body than Finley ever had, and he has not even train with pros yet.
Finley was a 90% FT shooter, and a higher volum shooter than Justin also.
The PJ comparison is the most accurate and safe one at this stage, if Anderson develops into a Finley type of talent it will be a major surprise for everybody.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#25 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 3:14 pm

Fischella wrote:Much better shooter than Tucker? Anderson has been a good shooter for 2-3 months in his career, PJ has been making 3-4 threes a game for the Suns, shooting around 37% from NBA range, in the last two years.
Tucker is a terrific athlete for his size and much longer than Anderson.
Finley was an All Star guard with game, he could dance on people and was a much better 1on1 player than Anderson is ever going to be, that comparison has no legs, their physical profiles are different as well, Finley was a big guard, but he was lankier than Anderson, who has a much stronger upper body than Finley ever had, and he has not even train with pros yet.
Finley was a 90% FT shooter, and a higher volum shooter than Justin also.
The PJ comparison is the most accurate and safe one at this stage, if Anderson develops into a Finley type of talent it will be a major surprise for everybody.

Tucker 3pt Texas:
0-0 3pt Fr
0-1 3p So
2-3 3pt Jr

Compared to Anderson
20-66 Fr .30.
30-102 So .29
47-104 Jr .45

:banghead:

Anderson has been a so-so shooter who developed into an excellent spot-up shooter and a solid one dribble shooter. Tucker was a bad shooter from any range in college outside of 18 feet in college.

P.J. development as a shooter has been NBA related as he was a PF in college. Anderson development says he has a chance to be a very good shooter in the NBA. Anderson has a quick first step. Anderson has the size to finish around the rim. Anderson when he gathers which A LOT easier in the NBA can be an dynamic athlete. This is a night and day comparison to me. Anderson can be a special player to me. Tucker development in the NBA has been well and developed into a SF who has great post skills who can hit open shots. Anderson is a SF right now who could play both SG/SF and he can be a dominate force with proper coaching. Bennett did a great job developing his BBIQ and his skill-set but his fundamentals could use some work. Especially on defense.

Do you have Finley's wingspan numbers? What about standing reach?
Finley measured at 6'5.75 without shoes at 204 pounds. That's 27 pounds lighter than Anderson.
Everything you are saying about Finley is bs opinion based. You have nothing backing what you are stating. You don't have his measureables. You just talking ish, you ought to quit.
Finley dropped to 21st in the draft because he's lack of handles and ability to create offense off the dribble. Hence his Jr. year % with Stan Van Gundy as his HC. Word has it, he wasn't a special athlete at the combine either and scouts didn't think he would have a position in the NBA. His BBIQ and transitional offense was something scouts missed on when he was at Wisconsin.

No offense, I think you are dead-ass wrong on this one. Like 100% wrong.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#26 » by No-Man » Sun May 17, 2015 3:50 pm

I am not comparing PJ from Texas, who was a rebounding PF, with Anderson, I am comparing the player PJ is today and the player into he has evolved.
Tucker is bigger than Anderson, longer and stronger, and he was in school too.
Finley developed into a terrific shooter and eh was already in UW, I dont care about physical measurements that much, I care about game, Anderson offensive game is nothing like Finleys, who was a tremendous shooter in the league.
The way they move is different as well, Fins game was much smoother.
I just dont see it, and quite frankly I dont think many do, If they will Anderson will be a lock to go top5-10.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,234

Post#27 » by Chuck Everett » Sun May 17, 2015 3:56 pm

I just don't understand what people are seeing in Anderson. He's so mechanical as a wing. He can't dribble for more than two dribbles at all. He's strong, but it's not really useful if you can't use your body to get to the rim off the bounce. So he's a strong spot up shooter? Meh.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
King Ken
General Manager

Post#28 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Fischella wrote:I am not comparing PJ from Texas, who was a rebounding PF, with Anderson, I am comparing the player PJ is today and the player into he has evolved.
Tucker is bigger than Anderson, longer and stronger, and he was in school too.
Finley developed into a terrific shooter and eh was already in UW, I dont care about physical measurements that much, I care about game, Anderson offensive game is nothing like Finleys, who was a tremendous shooter in the league.
The way they move is different as well, Fins game was much smoother.
I just dont see it, and quite frankly I dont think many do, If they will Anderson will be a lock to go top5-10.

Compare current 30 years old to 21 years olds and claim it's fair.
Tucker weight less right now than Anderson. This bigger, stronger faster talk is nonsense and Tucker was a PF at Texas in 2004-06. That was when I was playing college ball. Man, you are next tier trolling right now.

The top 15 is tough. You got a lot of ballers this year. This is one of the best classes I've seen in awhile. We have a lot of potential bust as well but with some guys like Turner, their measureables and talent make a bad developing team struggle at making them bust.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#29 » by King Ken » Sun May 17, 2015 4:10 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:I just don't understand what people are seeing in Anderson. He's so mechanical as a wing. He can't dribble for more than two dribbles at all. He's strong, but it's not really useful if you can't use your body to get to the rim off the bounce. So he's a strong spot up shooter? Meh.

He can straight line dribble. That's all you need with his athletic ability. I think he's high underrated but then again, I understand, he might not be more than a 3/D guy for some teams who already have scorers. I think even a bad team could make good use of Anderson.
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#30 » by MalonesElbows » Sun May 17, 2015 8:59 pm

He's going to get called for a ton of charges the way he puts his head down and bull rushes. If his NBA three point shot is near the 40% mark he might stick around. NBA bigs like Bogut and Gobert laugh at his vertical. You'll still need to be very creative finisher or are going to get swatted.
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#31 » by kdthunderup » Mon May 18, 2015 1:04 am

I hope OKC take him or Booker in the draft, I think both are realistic options at #14

If he can knock down an open jumpshot and play good defense he will fit in perfectly.
Zordor
Pro Prospect
And1: 43

Post#32 » by Zordor » Mon May 18, 2015 1:47 pm

watching him at UVA I would have to make a comparison to Rudy Gay just not as much of a ball hog.
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#33 » by greenandgold » Mon May 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Anderson compares physically to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

MKG: 6'5.75" height, 233 weight, 7' wingspan, 8'8.5" standing reach
Anderson: 6'5.25" height, 231 weight, 6'11.75" wingspan, 8'5" standing reach

Anderson's athletic testing numbers are out of this world, and he looks tremendous in a workout setting. But the low steals/blocks numbers are a concern. Scouts will examine the tape to see if it's just a matter of UVA's system depressing those defensive indicators.

Anderson's jump shot looks like it's coming from a very balanced base.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Mon May 18, 2015 6:21 pm

greenandgold wrote:Anderson compares physically to Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

MKG: 6'5.75" height, 233 weight, 7' wingspan, 8'8.5" standing reach
Anderson: 6'5.25" height, 231 weight, 6'11.75" wingspan, 8'5" standing reach

Anderson's athletic testing numbers are out of this world, and he looks tremendous in a workout setting. But the low steals/blocks numbers are a concern. Scouts will examine the tape to see if it's just a matter of UVA's system depressing those defensive indicators.

Anderson's jump shot looks like it's coming from a very balanced base.

Yup, and I expect the only difference - standing reach - was caused by him not extending on that test - unless one is to believe he really has a 43 inch vertical leap. Same thing with Connaughton, btw. Tucker is not bigger than Anderson, and I doubt his wingspan is much - if any - longer. I think Anderson is at least an inch taller and has the bigger frame of the 2 - and that's why he can pack 231 pounds at age 21 with only 5% body fat - which some of the PF's in this draft would love to have as measurements.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#35 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon May 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Y'all remember Jimmy Jackson? This guy is built like him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Mon May 18, 2015 6:40 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Y'all remember Jimmy Jackson? This guy is built like him.

If we stick to JJ's, I'd go with Joe Johnson. Jimmy Jackson was a heckuva talent back in the days when he teamed (in more ways than one :) ) with Jason Kidd.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#37 » by kdthunderup » Tue May 19, 2015 3:02 am

Would love if Presti traded Waiters + a 2nd for what ever team drafts him.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#38 » by kennydorglas » Tue May 19, 2015 3:37 am

I was watching his pre-draft workout and he has some serious bounce (not 43" tho, but very impressive anyways)
True workout warrior.
He'll stay in the league for a long time if his shooting is legit.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#39 » by doordoor123 » Tue May 19, 2015 5:46 am

kdthunderup wrote:Would love if Presti traded Waiters + a 2nd for what ever team drafts him.

Waiters is a second round value pick now. And I wouldn't even take him if I had the first ten picks in the second round. Justin Anderson is more than likely undervalued. Dude should be a lottery pick, but he won't get picked till the 20s. I wouldn't package him for two shotty players (one who will be playing overseas soon and the other could not even make it in the league).
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#40 » by RipCity71252 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:36 am

Some of these comparisons are hilarious...

Granted I've seen only one full game of him (1/31 vs. Duke), but I'm not a fan of his game. A team is going to fall in love with his grit and personality but he just seems so rough around the edges for being a junior. His BBIQ seems fine, just think his rigid movement and limited ball skills give people that sense about him.

He has a chance to stick if his shooting is for real, but he looks like a 2nd rounder to me.

Return to NBA Draft