Why does Aaron Harrison have a bad rep?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Why does Aaron Harrison have a bad rep? 

Post#1 » by nickforthreee » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:53 pm

everytime I watch Kentucky he usually plays well. He can shoot, he's athletic & can finish above the rim, has a good handle for a 2 guard, nice size, has made clutch shots.. I don't know why he isn't even in the top 60 on some draft sites?
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Re: Why does Aaron Harrison have a bad rep? 

Post#2 » by ColdBlooded » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:12 pm

Well, mainly because his brother is terrible. They get lumped in. Since Andrew is a bad defender and athlete, they automatically label Aaron the same. He's actually a good defender IMO.

He's still flawed. He's been inefficient this year. Not an advanced ball handler. Not explosive.

He'll likely be a 2nd round pick by seasons end.
Sam Hinkie crew.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#3 » by ManualRam » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:47 pm

i dont think his stock has dropped because of his rep. i mean, he did have a bad rep coming out of HS. bad body language, rumors of not getting along with teammates and being a brat, only sharing the ball with his brother, shot selection, an overbearing, meddling father, etc.
i don't think his stock has dropped because of his rep though. his stock has dropped this year because of the results. he's a billed shooter shooting 38% from the floor, less than 33% from 3. thats just not gonna cut it, but if you peel back the numbers there are still things to like about him as a prospect going forward. he has good size for a SG with good body strength. he's not afraid to play to contact. he's improved as a defender. he CAN shoot. how well he can shoot, who knows, but he's not afraid of taking shots. he's improved his shot selection a bit and he DOES have a good handle for a SG. he has some breakdown and shot-creating ability despite not being an explosive athlete. there's something malleable there imo. he's definitely more intriguing than his brother is as a PG.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#4 » by Big_C_KU » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:48 pm

I think he can make it as a 3 and D guard off the bench. He's definitely better than his brother because he's a legit SG. Is a good defender. Offensively he takes bad shots at times. A lot of long guarded 2s. Can sometimes get hot and hit them. Doesn't have the handle to do anymore than 1 or 2 dribbles to get his shot so that's probably why he takes a lot of long 2s. I think he'll be a 2nd round pick for sure.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:55 pm

i disagree about him not having a good handle for a 2. that to me, along with his strength is what makes him still interesting despite his numbers.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#6 » by Negrodamus » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:32 am

He gets a bit pouty.

He's a great shooter, but keep in mind that he gets a lot of open looks because of the nature of this stacked team, not to mention everyone playing a 2-3 zone against us.

I wouldn't say he plays above the rim. He can dunk; he can possibly dunk over players, but he'll rarely have a highlight dunk. A bit mechanical in his movements. His handles aren't bad, but he'd benefit from becoming a PG in the NBA with his shooting capability. If there's one thing you can call him, it's clutch.

Andrew... don't get me started on him.
Syracutica
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Syracutica » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:54 pm

Mainly because he isn't your prototypical Kentucky Top 5 recruit. He has a pretty sound game, he's not going to blow you away with athleticism, explosive scoring ability, or any jazz like that. A 6'6 combo guard who is a good shooter, not exceptional, athletic, not a freak athlete, isn't going to generate tons of hype. Especially when he's a Top 5 recruit out of high school.

He is what he is. He's going to be a solid NBA player, has good size, can shoot. I view him as a better shooting, not as skilled PG version of Rodney Stuckey. I also think his whiny attitude he displayed as a freshman, and has improved a GREAT deal since, has still stuck to him.
No, I'm not Canadian. No, I'm not originally from Canada. No, Upstate New York is not Canada. One can be a Jays fan without being Canadian, so save the "Go back to Canada" comments. :D
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#8 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:52 pm

^ what about a little bigger Randy Foye?

I think he could potentially turn into another UK guy, Jodie Meeks if he works hard enough.
Syracutica
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#9 » by Syracutica » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:37 am

In all honesty, I'm not even sure I like my own Stuckey comparison anymore. Frankly, at the nba level I don't ever see him being on Stuckey or Foye's level as a true combo guard. 6'6, does a good bit well, nothing great. Not exceptionally athletic. Good, streakyish shooter. Won't be a great defender, won't be a liability. Not sure his out of college scouting report will look much different than Shabazz Muhammad. JMO. So yeah, I'm kind of disagreeing with myself in a twist I didn't see coming.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,745

Post#10 » by Negrodamus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:52 am

moss_is_1 wrote:^ what about a little bigger Randy Foye?

I think he could potentially turn into another UK guy, Jodie Meeks if he works hard enough.

He will need to take a substantial leap in the next year to be on Jodie's level. Jodie was simply unstoppable on offense his Junior year. He was the reason UK won any games.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#11 » by shangrila » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:38 am

He's a shooter that can't shoot. Not much reason to have him on a roster.

Return to NBA Draft