Devin Booker

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Devin Booker 

Post#1 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:59 am

I felt Devin Booker was deserving of a thread of his own. Supposedly, he's one of the fastest rising prospects in draft boards, and deservedly so. He's sporting a ridiculous .295 WS/48, and a ORtg/DRtg ratio of 139/87.

I feel like he's got a lot of upside. He won't even be 19 by the start of the NBA season if he were to declare. Tremendous shooter, good BBball IQ, plays the game instinctively.

With the rise of Klay Thompson, this guy might be worthy of a top 10 pick. Thoughts?
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Devin Booker 

Post#2 » by reanimator » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:11 am

He is more Stauskas/Belinelli than Klay imo but he is young. I'd personally want to see him a bigger role before risking a late lotto pick on him but that will never happen at UK.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM

Post#3 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:21 am

Even if he's Danny Green, he'd be a piece on a championship level team.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM

Post#4 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:25 am

reanimator wrote:He is more Stauskas/Belinelli than Klay imo but he is young. I'd personally want to see him a bigger role before risking a late lotto pick on him but that will never happen at UK.

Teams salivate over pure shooters with intelligence. Heck, Stauskas went 7th overall last year. Because Booker is so young, I'd give him a chance to improve his overall skill level, a la Klay.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,156

Post#5 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:22 am

Kid looking great lately....starting to like him as a top 10. if he keeps it up.
Sign here
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#6 » by Marcus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:31 am

brackdan70 wrote:Kid looking great lately....starting to like him as a top 10. if he keeps it up.

Based solely on shooting?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#7 » by Justwar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 am

He drives and finishes above the rim. Also plays hard on defense.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#8 » by dorkestra » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:16 am

Right now, I'd be happy for Philly to take him with Miam's pick.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#9 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:15 am

He is a lotto pick as of now, crazy smooth, can handle it, good IQ, and a great shooter, he lacks length and athleticism but he is big and has talent.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,156

Post#10 » by brackdan70 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:20 pm

Marcus wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:Kid looking great lately....starting to like him as a top 10. if he keeps it up.

more than that. showing a pretty complete game imo
Sign here
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:32 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I like him - but he doesn't exactly fill up the box score with anything but shooting. Then again, Kentucky doesn't need him to.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by Marcus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:34 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

you currently see him as the 10th best player in this draft or are you basing the top 10 pick on team need?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Marcus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:37 pm

I posed this question in another thread and nobody responded so i'll ask here since the topic is Devin Booker.

What's the difference between what Booker brings to the table and what RJ Hunter brings to the table? Are we seeing Booker as more than just a lights out shooter at the next level? I would argue that their roles in the league will be similar. So what makes Booker's more viable than Hunter's or are folks here of a different mindset in regards to what these 2 kids can or will be at the next level?
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by Marcus » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

I like him - but he doesn't exactly fill up the box score with anything but shooting. Then again, Kentucky doesn't need him to.

this is along my line of thought have we seen him do enough of the other things to just say its completely apart of his game?

with the role he plays, he's a knockdown shooter, puts it on the floor occasionally, nobody on that team can really just go get buckets but I guess Devin or Trey Lyles would be the closest to that. but you have Hunter who is the focal point every game and has had to adjust to that attention, lowered percentages, and still manages to create for others due to the attention. Do we really KNOW or at least believe Devin can do the same as a focal point?
Watch More Basketball

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Marcus wrote:I posed this question in another thread and nobody responded so i'll ask here since the topic is Devin Booker.

What's the difference between what Booker brings to the table and what RJ Hunter brings to the table? Are we seeing Booker as more than just a lights out shooter at the next level? I would argue that their roles in the league will be similar. So what makes Booker's more viable than Hunter's or are folks here of a different mindset in regards to what these 2 kids can or will be at the next level?

I thought I answered that but maybe I didn't. Basically, Hunter's scrawny for the NBA, and he's really not the great shooter that many seem to think he is. Booker is clearly a better shooter - and he's 3 years younger than Hunter. You can go a long way being a great shooter. Thompson on the Warriors was pretty 1 dimensional for years - now he's a legit star.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#16 » by No-Man » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Hunter is having a really mediocre year, Harrow has been better than him.
He is too happyfree shooting, and he has a weird body, narrow shoulders and not much strength, he is older than Booker also, like 3 years.
I think Booker could go anywhere from 10-20 and Hunter is more of a late 1st, early 2nd guy, right now.
Booker is the best guard of Kentucky, their best perimeter player actually, he has a good ballhandling also, and he can do more than what you think, not just a shooter.
His lack of length, and his average athleticism are knocks, but he is skilled, I can see the Hawks with the Brooklyn pick targetting a guy like him, or the 76ers.
rockymac52
Sixth Man
And1: 73

Post#17 » by rockymac52 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:29 pm

Let me start by saying I love Devin Booker and have had my eyes on him for a long time. I think the Klay Thompson comparison is actually fair, but people keep saying some things in this thread that simply aren't true.

Devin Booker has not shown an ability to put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket. He has only taken 5 shots around the basket this season. That's compared to his 84 jump shots.

He's also not capable of shooting off the dribble (...yet). 21% of his jumpers are off the dribble, and he's only shooting an eFG% of 26% on them. Meanwhile, 79% of his jumpers are catch and shoot, where he's shooting a 69.2 eFG%.

We know this much... he's already a knock down shooter when he's set, but the off the dribble game simply isn't there yet.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#18 » by Notanoob » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:28 am

Klay is also a lot bigger and longer than Booker. Thompson is big enough that you could shift him to SF, Booker does not have the size to do that and won't be able to play defense like Klay can in the NBA. Being small with short arms sucks.
ColdBlooded
Rookie
And1: 1,190

Post#19 » by ColdBlooded » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:02 am

rockymac52 wrote:Let me start by saying I love Devin Booker and have had my eyes on him for a long time. I think the Klay Thompson comparison is actually fair, but people keep saying some things in this thread that simply aren't true.

Devin Booker has not shown an ability to put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket. He has only taken 5 shots around the basket this season. That's compared to his 84 jump shots.

He's also not capable of shooting off the dribble (...yet). 21% of his jumpers are off the dribble, and he's only shooting an eFG% of 26% on them. Meanwhile, 79% of his jumpers are catch and shoot, where he's shooting a 69.2 eFG%.

We know this much... he's already a knock down shooter when he's set, but the off the dribble game simply isn't there yet.

According to HoopMath, he's taken 21 shots around the rim. Finishing 18 of them. 5 is too low from what i've seen this season.

I like him as well, but i won't give any strong opinions until the end of the season. I need to see if he can continue this hot outside shooting with defenses paying more attention + the past two games he's flashed the ability to create his own shot.
Sam Hinkie crew.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#20 » by Justwar » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:34 am

Devin has about a 3 inch no step vertical advantage and 5 inch jumping vertical. Not sure about speed

Return to NBA Draft