Luka Doncic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Re: Luka Doncic 

Post#61 » by sisibilio » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:22 am

I'd say he was even more impressive in the 2nd game vs Unicaja despite the 8 turnovers.
15 pt 5 reb 10 as
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#62 » by sisibilio » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:50 pm

After having little playing time in the first 2 games of the season Doncic netted 22 minutes yesterday and had a key role in the reaction of the team dring the 2nd quarter.
So far averages nearly 6 ppg with 86% TS xd
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#63 » by sisibilio » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:57 pm

With Jeffery Taylor already available his minutes will likely drop, for instance yesterday only played in the 2nd half.
@MikePradaSBN

Stackey
Junior
And1: 123

Post#64 » by Stackey » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:52 pm

He is just best Under 19 player in Europe
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G71z_Z6FfD4[/youtube]
Goon
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,332

Post#65 » by Goon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:44 am

He broke a record held by Ricky Rubio for the best performance index for an under 17 player in the spanish league.
15 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, performance index of 22, and they won 99:92 against Bilbao, with Doncic playing a big role in the final minutes.

I really wonder how he'll turn up. Very skilled, good vision, shot is getting better and better, can drive, dish, create his own shot... His defense is obviously not good at this age but potential is there.

His Highlights:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ODGGNnU40[/youtube]
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#66 » by coutournant » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:51 pm

Very impressive ! His skills are elite obviously but his body/athleticism looks nice too. He's still growing because he looked unimpressive physically the last time I saw some highlights of him
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#67 » by No-Man » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:57 pm

he is really mature in terms of IQ, that is the main difference, he is skilled indeed and versatile, but I dont see superupside with his tools, he is not a big time athlete
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#68 » by SportsGuy8 » Sun Dec 6, 2015 3:44 am

He will give us an answer to the Bodiroga question: can an extremely smart and skilled player with average physical talents (for NBA guard standards) become an NBA star?

I really think he can overcome his somewhat limited physical upside. He's that special.
saphan
Freshman
And1: 230

Post#69 » by saphan » Mon Dec 7, 2015 8:59 am

SportsGuy8 wrote:He will give us an answer to the Bodiroga question: can an extremely smart and skilled player with average physical talents (for NBA guard standards) become an NBA star?

I really think he can overcome his somewhat limited physical upside. He's that special.

I think it is unfair to talk about his physicality when he is still 16 years old. Last few games I saw, he played really good defense, he can dunk it in mid game... his physicality when he'll be a rookie will be at least average (personally I think it will be above average), and that's not where his strengths are.

In my opinion he is one of the greatest talents in last decade from Europe, he has it all, he just needs to continue the progress he is making. At 16 he broke into rotation of one of the strongest European clubs playing in second best league in the world. Last games he is playing 20 mpg, every time leaving strong impact and just showing great maturity and talent.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#70 » by sisibilio » Mon Dec 7, 2015 9:20 am

SportsGuy8 wrote:He will give us an answer to the Bodiroga question: can an extremely smart and skilled player with average physical talents (for NBA guard standards) become an NBA star?

He's much more athletic than Bodiroga IMO.

saphan wrote:In my opinion he is one of the greatest talents in last decade from Europe, he has it all, he just needs to continue the progress he is making. At 16 he broke into rotation of one of the strongest European clubs playing in second best league in the world. Last games he is playing 20 mpg, every time leaving strong impact and just showing great maturity and talent.

his game vs Bilbao was amazing, but what he did vs Fenerbahce, a FF level team in what was basically an elimination game for Real Madrid, entering the game with his team 10 points down in the 2nd quarter and orchestrating the comeback was unheard of for a guy that age. Quite frankly i wouldn't be surprised if he's the most impactful G in Madrid by the end of the season, that's beyond crazy.
@MikePradaSBN

SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#71 » by SportsGuy8 » Mon Dec 7, 2015 10:38 pm

Please note that I wrote "for NBA guard standards", which are insanely high.

I agree that he's more athletic than Bodiroga, that's why I actually think he can become an NBA superstar. I also believed Bodiroga could have been a borderline All-Star, despite all of the worries regarding his athletic abilities, or lack-thereof.

Btw., are there any specifics out there regarding his contract with Real? I know that he supposedly has a contract until 2022, with multiple NBA escape clauses, but are there any specifics/numbers? Him not getting to the NBA ASAP would be a real shame.
Stackey
Junior

Post#72 » by Stackey » Tue Dec 8, 2015 2:18 am

Dear Lord, if he was in the some US High School...40 points, 10 rebounds, 15 assists per game 8-)
saphan
Freshman
And1: 230

Post#73 » by saphan » Tue Dec 8, 2015 11:13 am

SportsGuy8 wrote:Btw., are there any specifics out there regarding his contract with Real? I know that he supposedly has a contract until 2022, with multiple NBA escape clauses, but are there any specifics/numbers? Him not getting to the NBA ASAP would be a real shame.

Well, he has to be at least 19 years old to apply for draft, If I'm not mistaken he can go for it in 2018, and if he continues to develop his talent he'll be a top 3 pick for sure, which means he is going to the NBA whatever the price...
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#74 » by SportsGuy8 » Tue Dec 8, 2015 4:57 pm

There is a possibility that Real included some truly ridiculous buyout(s), though. Think about how stupid Rubio's family was, and Doncic is even a better prospect. Florentino Perez also holds him in an extremely high regard ...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Doncic's family thought it would be best for him to stay in Europe 'till he's 22. I'm quite sure not even they expected him to already be so good at such an early stage. If he keeps progressing as expected, he's going to be too good for Europe in just a couple of years, it's really sick.
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#75 » by SportsGuy8 » Tue Dec 8, 2015 5:07 pm

The only real possible downside with Doncic is that maybe his game is already so advanced and mature, that there's really not that much room to improve and he starts stagnating a bit (like Rubio, for example, whose game barely changed since he was at a similar age). That's the only possible way (besides injuries) that he doesn't get on a super sick level. Because if he keeps improving according to age, he could be close to Drazen levels in a couple of years. Different players, obviously, but you know what I mean.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Post#76 » by XTraderXL » Tue Dec 8, 2015 6:09 pm

His BBIQ is off the charts. Whenever he plays, he seems like the smartest player on the floor at 16!! His court vision is incredible, he can do it all. I think his athletic ability is underrated, for his size at his age he is well above average. Of course he looks a bit slow but he is playing against fully grown men and if he was in the USA he would be a junior in HS and playing at that level but in Europe he is playing the 2nd and 3rd best league in the world and is still able to play with high efficiency. In the last few weeks he has been Madrids most valuable guard, when he was on the floor he had the largest +/- of all the players on Real. Against Fener, which is one of the best teams in Euroleague, he came in at -10 and in 6 min while he played on PG he led them to a +4. I believe that if Laso wouldnt play him that game, Real would loose the game and be out of the PO contention. In the last game against Murcia he had the highest +/- again as well as in the game against Bilbao when he set the record for a player under 17 in ACB. Just unbelievable what he is doing and it is obvious how much room for improvement he still has. You can see his improvement in every aspect of basketball from week to week and that is why he is getting more minutes as the season progresses. I wouldnt be surprised at all if in a couple of years he would be the first pick, I just hope he doesnt go to Philly))
Stackey
Junior

Post#77 » by Stackey » Tue Dec 8, 2015 6:29 pm

I will just leave it here
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeawvtOEbAo[/youtube]
SportsGuy8
Starter

Post#78 » by SportsGuy8 » Tue Dec 8, 2015 8:54 pm

XTraderXL wrote:I wouldnt be surprised at all if in a couple of years he would be the first pick, I just hope he doesnt go to Philly))

It will also highly depend on which team gets the top pick. Top picks usually go to badly managed teams, who can easily concentrate too much on pure athletic abilities.

On the other hand, Boston holds Brooklyn's first round pick for 2018, and if they win the lottery, Doncic, the great white hope, is pretty much a lock. :lol:
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#79 » by Mirotic12 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:18 am

saphan wrote:

I think it is unfair to talk about his physicality when he is still 16 years old. Last few games I saw, he played really good defense, he can dunk it in mid game... his physicality when he'll be a rookie will be at least average (personally I think it will be above average), and that's not where his strengths are.

In my opinion he is one of the greatest talents in last decade from Europe, he has it all, he just needs to continue the progress he is making. At 16 he broke into rotation of one of the strongest European clubs playing in second best league in the world. Last games he is playing 20 mpg, every time leaving strong impact and just showing great maturity and talent.

The Spanish League is not the 2nd best league in the world. Just because ESPN, NBADraft.net, Draftexpress.com, and a lot of Spanish League fans say it is.

It isn't. The Euroleague is. He was getting playing time in Spanish League, because he plays on a stacked team, and they can win almost all those games, despite playing a high school age kid.

In Euroleague, he played only in pure garbage time, or if some injuries stacked up on the team, and already they are trying to find new players to take his minutes.

He's obviously a great player for his age and a great talent, but let's not exaggerate here. I said this same thing over and over in the Mario Hezonja thread - about how people here was exaggerating so much about him. I don't know why people have to always do this with young players.

sisibilio wrote:

He's much more athletic than Bodiroga IMO.

saphan wrote:In my opinion he is one of the greatest talents in last decade from Europe, he has it all, he just needs to continue the progress he is making. At 16 he broke into rotation of one of the strongest European clubs playing in second best league in the world. Last games he is playing 20 mpg, every time leaving strong impact and just showing great maturity and talent.

his game vs Bilbao was amazing, but what he did vs Fenerbahce, a FF level team in what was basically an elimination game for Real Madrid, entering the game with his team 10 points down in the 2nd quarter and orchestrating the comeback was unheard of for a guy that age. Quite frankly i wouldn't be surprised if he's the most impactful G in Madrid by the end of the season, that's beyond crazy.

And at this time last year, almost everyone in this site was saying Hezonja would be the best player on Barca, best player in Spanish League, best player in Euroleague, best player in Europe "by the end of the season", and then be NBA rookie of the year the next season.

Well, everyone but me, who was saying he would be lucky to even play at Euroleague playoffs. And I was right.

This is even more ridiculous to make these claims about Doncic.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#80 » by No-Man » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:27 am

garbage time? he was fundamental for Madrid against Fenerbaçhe last week in a do or die situation when he stepped in with Madrid 10 down.
Seriously, try to get your facts straight.

Return to NBA Draft