Anyway, I still think you guys are underrating his physical abilities:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkVoRnPOXLo[/youtube]
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Re: Luka Doncic 

Post#22 » by peZt » Sun May 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Sports Geek wrote:
JustMagic wrote:Something in his movement reminds me of Bodiroga, but then again it might be just my imagination :)

From a draft/NBA prespective he's even below average athlete. If you think of him ever becoming an NBA player you can't compare him to some youth euro players, even if they are 2 years older. Just from watching a few youtube clips you can find tons of American players his age or younger doing crazy dunks while being shorter, running the fast-break like deers, and lightening-quick first steps.
Obviously you can improve athletic ability when getting older but not by that much. He just doesn't got it.

Maybe if he'll grows 2 incehes he'll be similar to a guy like Gallinary, only less athletic.

He IS NBA material for sure. Nobody has showed this kind of dominance in Europe at his age but Rubio. Not Pau Gasol, not Gallinari, not Nowitzki,... American high school players can dunk and run as much as they want, but no other player in the world can make 47 efficiency points by taking just 8 shots. In a final surrounded by older elite players. That's unique.

Saric dominated even more at the same age and look at him now. He didn't turn out to be the generational talent that people thought he was when he dominated every single youth competition he attended.
And Doncic has the same question marks that Saric had in terms of quickness and athleticism.

Just because a 16 year old dominates other 16 year olds doesn't mean he will be a superstar. Especially if he lacks elite quickness and athleticism. Dario Saric is the best example for that
Sports Geek
Junior
And1: 103

Post#23 » by Sports Geek » Sun May 10, 2015 10:59 pm

That's what you guys say: "Doncic has the same question mark that Saric in terms of quickness and atleticism". You know what I think about Luka´s body. Anyway, Saric is more physically gifted than skilled. He still has a lot to improve in terms of basketball IQ, outside shooting and mentality. I think Saric is going to disappoint in the NBA. In his favour, he is extremely young yet.

PS: It's impossible to dominate more than Doncic does at his age. I would give you a tie, because I never saw Saric playing at that age, but I have seen Mirotic, Rubio, Sergio Rodríguez, Juan Carlos Navarro,..., at the arena, 10 meters away from me. They were all impressive, but man, I think Rubio was the only one that could have played professional basketball at that point of his development. In fact he did. Now I have the same feeling with Doncic.
TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Post#24 » by TheTrooper » Mon May 11, 2015 12:04 am

Sports Geek wrote:That's what you guys say: "Doncic has the same question mark that Saric in terms of quickness and atleticism". You know what I think about Luka´s body. Anyway, Saric is more physically gifted than skilled. He still has a lot to improve in terms of basketball IQ, outside shooting and mentality. I think Saric is going to disappoint in the NBA. In his favour, he is extremely young yet.

PS: It's impossible to dominate more than Doncic does at his age. I would give you a tie, because I never saw Saric playing at that age, but I have seen Mirotic, Rubio, Sergio Rodríguez, Juan Carlos Navarro,..., at the arena, 10 meters away from me. They were all impressive, but man, I think Rubio was the only one that could have played professional basketball at that point of his development. In fact he did. Now I have the same feeling with Doncic.

Saric more physically gifted than skilled ?!?! For a PF who's biggest strengths are ball handling, passing and BBIQ to say that is more physically gifted than skilled makes no sense.

Anyways Saric averaged regularly something like 20-25 points,10+ rebounds and 3-4 assists in every youth competition he was playing and won many of them. He was one of the most dominant players in youth competition ever in Europe.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Post#25 » by sisibilio » Mon May 11, 2015 1:35 am

Well. If Doncic plays for Slovenia in the u16 european championship this summer i'm sure he will put up some ridiculous stats, specially considering they are in division B.
Imagine him vs the likes of Ireland or Norway? LOL
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#26 » by sisibilio » Mon May 11, 2015 1:44 am

The thing with Saric is that it was obvious he wouldn't be able to dominate as a pro playing the way he did in the junior level, as it happened with other dominant youngsters like Macvan. Many people thought also his unimpressive athleticism and inconsistent outside shooting could prevent him from becoming a superstar.
That's not the case with Doncic, i don't see any flaw in his game.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Stackey
Junior
And1: 123

Post#27 » by Stackey » Mon May 11, 2015 2:28 am

Dončić is considered as best guard(actually as best player overall) in European generation 1999. Now let's compare him with player who is considered as second best guard(in this video he is playing with his generation, not older players):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W_tgpRScb4[/youtube]

This guy is much better than any other European guard in that generation, and Dončić is much better than him. He's that good.
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#28 » by TheTrooper » Mon May 11, 2015 5:24 am

sisibilio wrote:The thing with Saric is that it was obvious he wouldn't be able to dominate as a pro playing the way he did in the junior level, as it happened with other dominant youngsters like Macvan. Many people thought also his unimpressive athleticism and inconsistent outside shooting could prevent him from becoming a superstar.

Saric put something like 18 ppg, 10rpg and 3,4 apg with 51% FG% as a 17 years old in a u-19 WC and was in the tournament all star team.
He led Croatia to win against the USA and was the key man getting 17/8/2. Against Lithuania when he was matched up with Jonas he put up 22/13/4.
That is how dominant he was as a kid,and now Saric, even though is considered an elite Euroleague PF at the age of 21, is probably going to end up as an average PF in the NBA.
Dominating youth tournaments doesnt mean so much in terms of NBA potential, we just have to wait and see how he turns up in the next few years. Saric for example even at 21 is still kind of a mystery.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#29 » by Sports Geek » Mon May 11, 2015 7:46 am

TheTrooper wrote:
sisibilio wrote:The thing with Saric is that it was obvious he wouldn't be able to dominate as a pro playing the way he did in the junior level, as it happened with other dominant youngsters like Macvan. Many people thought also his unimpressive athleticism and inconsistent outside shooting could prevent him from becoming a superstar.

Saric put something like 18 ppg, 10rpg and 3,4 apg with 51% FG% as a 17 years old in a u-19 WC and was in the tournament all star team.
He led Croatia to win against the USA and was the key man getting 17/8/2. Against Lithuania when he was matched up with Jonas he put up 22/13/4.
That is how dominant he was as a kid,and now Saric, even though is considered an elite Euroleague PF at the age of 21, is probably going to end up as an average PF in the NBA.
Dominating youth tournaments doesnt mean so much in terms of NBA potential, we just have to wait and see how he turns up in the next few years. Saric for example even at 21 is still kind of a mystery.

That's what I mean. Those numbers are Doncic's ones when he has played a poor game. When I say dominant I'm not talking about Macvan's dominance. He was a very good player at that age but you can't compare his game to Doncic's (36 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 6 steals and 8 of 10 three pointers for a total of 65 efficiency points in a single game) or Rubio's (51 points, 24 rebounds, 12 assists and 7 steals, including a game tying shot from halfcourt in the final of the European Championships).

You can like Doncic or not, but what he is doing is something we haven't seen too many times. If any of you are going to be in Madrid this weekend for the Euroleague's Final 4, I strongly recommend you to go and watch him play. I do it on a regular basis and I'm sure after watching him live at the gym you'll change your mind.
JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#30 » by JustMagic » Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 am

If Doncic is good enough to play a few minutes in Real-Madrid (The ACB team, not the youth), and it doesn't matter if it's garbage time, then obviously he is a very special prospect.

However... He DOES have some flaws, like for example... his athletic ability (atleast as seen from video). Yes he's only 16, and theoretically he can grow to 6-10 and become a great SF-PF, but he also can becaome a regular euroleague player or the next Nemanja Aleksandrov.
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Nem ... 1-pick-42/

When I see highlights of dzanan Musa, it is obvious for me that Musa is a far better NBA prospect, and it doesn't matter who ranks higher right now.

I mean in 2011 no one even knew about Giannis Antetokounmpo, while kids like Rasmus Larsen, Hernangomes, and Jaiteh were leading the rankings when they were 16 years old (they all born in 1994).
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#31 » by sisibilio » Mon May 11, 2015 10:50 am

Again, he's not a run & jump uberathlete like his teamate Yusta for instance but i think you are exxagerating.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlB_Amud1JM[/youtube]

On the other hand his body control is exceptional.

BTW i'm sure he won't be a PF, barring a late grow spurt that puts him at 7 feet or something. Likely a ball dominant wing, but i wouldn't rule out the possibility of becoming primarily a PG.
@MikePradaSBN

Sports Geek
Junior

Post#32 » by Sports Geek » Mon May 11, 2015 11:57 am

TheTrooper wrote:Saric more physically gifted than skilled ?!?! For a PF who's biggest strengths are ball handling, passing and BBIQ to say that is more physically gifted than skilled makes no sense.

Anyways Saric averaged regularly something like 20-25 points,10+ rebounds and 3-4 assists in every youth competition he was playing and won many of them. He was one of the most dominant players in youth competition ever in Europe.

Saric has the most important physical ability for a big, coordination. Plus he is long and strong for a 21 y.o. Splitter wasn't stronger at his age, for example. That coordination is what makes him able to run the floor and handle the ball. His skills set is poor: pretty bad shooting motion (and not too effective), he doesn't have too many post moves,... He still have to work a lot in his game, he has the talent to improve. Anyway, Rubio had it too and he hasn't been able to improve his shooting abilities.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#33 » by sisibilio » Mon May 11, 2015 2:14 pm

Saric's length is average at best.

ED: 3 years ago in the NHS
height - 6'10" with shoes
wingspan - 6'10"

As for his skillset, he's got great passing and ballhandling for a big.
@MikePradaSBN

Sports Geek
Junior

Post#34 » by Sports Geek » Wed May 13, 2015 9:02 pm

Take a look at the way the ball bounces off the rim when he misses a shot. Same thing happens to players like Lebron James or Derrick Rose, who are overrated in terms of technical skills. When I started playing basketball as a kid, our coach made us work on our shooting motion, making sure we push the ball with our finger tips and wrist. That's what makes a good shooter become a great one. Friendly bounces will come.

If I was him, I would spend next summer working with Dave Hopla if he is available. He needs to work on some basics.

PS: I would play Saric in the SF position. He was OK for his age first time I watched him with his national team. He is fast enough and can put the ball on the floor.
TheTrooper
Senior

Post#35 » by TheTrooper » Thu May 14, 2015 11:41 am

Sports Geek wrote:
TheTrooper wrote:

That's what I mean. Those numbers are Doncic's ones when he has played a poor game. When I say dominant I'm not talking about Macvan's dominance. He was a very good player at that age but you can't compare his game to Doncic's (36 points, 11 rebounds, 10 assists, 6 steals and 8 of 10 three pointers for a total of 65 efficiency points in a single game) or Rubio's (51 points, 24 rebounds, 12 assists and 7 steals, including a game tying shot from halfcourt in the final of the European Championships).

You can like Doncic or not, but what he is doing is something we haven't seen too many times. If any of you are going to be in Madrid this weekend for the Euroleague's Final 4, I strongly recommend you to go and watch him play. I do it on a regular basis and I'm sure after watching him live at the gym you'll change your mind.

Doncic never faced the competition Dario or Rubio have at the same age. I want to see Doncic with his national team against the very best in Europe and in the world.

Anyways not saying he is bad, actually he is damn good for a 16 yrs old kid in Europe,but we have to see for few more years how he develops to start talking about a NBA prospect. Sometimes dominating youth competitions in Europe is not enough to make you a sure thing in the NBA.
Sports Geek
Junior

Post#36 » by Sports Geek » Fri May 15, 2015 2:11 pm

I've just come home from the Real Madrid - Insep Paris U-18 Adidas Next Generation Tournament game and Euroleague's Final 4 fan zone.

Poor game from Doncic against a very physical Paris team. He missed 9 of his 10 two pointers, but still managed to make two three pointers in a row in the last two minutes to give his team the victory. Plus he added 7 rebounds and 9 assists for a total 18 PIR.

It was a nice morning, the gym was full of scouts, in fact one of them was sitting right in front of me, so I could read his notes. Unluckily I don't speak Serbo-Croat, I should have taken pictures, maybe some of you could have translated them :lol: The guy was a "Yugoslavian" ex-player. I know his face but not his name. Besides he was sitting next to Zoran Savic. Ademola Okulaja and Trajan Langdon were there too.

PS: I liked Luc Loubaki from the French team. Super fast and athletic, he played a great defense on Doncic.

PS2: Doncic played at the PG position the last 5 minutes of the game to keep Barreiro and Yusta (the other two stars) on the court. I still think he is a PG, more than a SG or a SF.

PS3: The Euroleague's fan zone was pretty cool too. Faried, Calderón, Papaloukas, Vujcic, Arlaukas and Antúnez were there playing with some kids for an One Team (special olympics organization) event.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#37 » by sisibilio » Fri May 15, 2015 4:19 pm

Sports Geek wrote:It was a nice morning, the gym was full of scouts, in fact one of them was sitting right in front of me, so I could read his notes. Unluckily I don't speak Serbo-Croat, I should have taken pictures, maybe some of you could have translated them :lol: The guy was a "Yugoslavian" ex-player. I know his face but not his name. Besides he was sitting next to Zoran Savic. Ademola Okulaja and Trajan Langdom were there too.

maybe?
@MikePradaSBN

Sports Geek
Junior

Post#38 » by Sports Geek » Fri May 15, 2015 5:03 pm

sisibilio wrote:
Sports Geek wrote:It was a nice morning, the gym was full of scouts, in fact one of them was sitting right in front of me, so I could read his notes. Unluckily I don't speak Serbo-Croat, I should have taken pictures, maybe some of you could have translated them :lol: The guy was a "Yugoslavian" ex-player. I know his face but not his name. Besides he was sitting next to Zoran Savic. Ademola Okulaja and Trajan Langdom were there too.

maybe?

Nope. He was completely bald. Kind of Sasha Obradovic, but bigger and blue eyed. It was fun. In the row in front of mine were sitting chatting about the game: Giannis Sfairopoulos, that guy and Zoran Savic. And a row behind me, an Euroleague's MVP, Langdon.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#39 » by sisibilio » Fri May 15, 2015 5:24 pm

Then it's got to be Dukan

@MikePradaSBN

Sports Geek
Junior

Post#40 » by Sports Geek » Fri May 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Nope, he was younger. Maybe he wasn't a NBA scout. Maybe he works for an European team

Return to NBA Draft