Luka Doncic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Sports Geek
Junior
And1: 103

Re: Luka Doncic 

Post#661 » by Sports Geek » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:09 am

Marcus wrote:its not a crazy question. You're just taking it a lot further than it needs to go. He was asking if the kid matched up against another prospect. It's no different than when Brandon Jennings played overseas and matched up against Ricky Rubio. It's a simple question. If he hasn't then just say he hasn't and move on.

I am not the only user thinking he basically meant that Ntlikina is a better defender than Euroleague pros. But you are right, I shouldn't have said the "embarrasing yourself" thing, it is not polite.

Now that you are here, I would like to ask you for putting some order in this thread because it already went too off-topic. Basically the NCAA vs Euroleague topic should be left aside. Doncic is competing against the players he is competing and no others. As Bob8 pointed, some of us are posting videos, stats and relevant information about Doncic, but they are going almost unnoticed in the middle of the America vs Europe discussion.

Relevant discussions for this thread in my opinion:

- Stats
- Videos
- Skills
- 2018 draft class
- (Other users add here what you consider relevant, maybe I miss something, but please nothing regarding NCAA vs EL :lol: )

Thank you.
CalL
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#662 » by CalL » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:39 am

coutournant wrote:Jrob and reanimator you really are embarassing yourself !
Doncic is playing in the second best environment in the world behind NBA.
Ntilikina is far from that level. He may have more upside, there's a huge gap between Doncic and Ntilikina in their actual level

I agree that Doncic is clearly better than Ntilikina at the moment, but i dont agree that Ntilikina has more upside.
Does Ntilikina have more defensive upside? Yes, but apart from that (shooting/creativity/ball-handling) i think that Doncic is more like the ceiling for Ntilikina. Ntilikina would have to turn into an elite athlete to be considered a better player than Doncic, even if Doncic doesnt improve from now on. In my opinion the current level of Doncic would be more like the average case for Ntilikina, where Ntilikina might be in 2 or 3 years.
American fans need to realize that Doncic is among the top 5 players of the best non-NBA team, while all other european prospects born in 1998 or later arent even able to make the rotation of a top 16 european club, although Doncic was born in 1999 ...
Its ok to have different opinions concerning his upside, but people who dont buy the hype should realize that he is doing things that no other european prospect born in 1998/1999 is doing and that there probably never was a 17 yo european player having stats like him at the highest european level, that alone should be enough to recognize that he is a very special talent. In addition to that everyone who criticizes him should watch some of his games or at least have a look at the box score. In my opinion just looking at the box score can give you a hint about how special he is: He basically never has a bad game, if he isnt shooting well, he still helps his team in multiple other ways and he never forces his shot or causes tons of turnovers. He knows when he has to step down, in order to help his teammates and when to step up (for example in their Euroleague game against Zalgiris last year). I think all other european prospects can only dream of ever having a BBIQ like him and i dont think that there are too many NBA players who have a higher BBIQ. For me he is the same kind of talent as Jokic, who makes things look very easy and afterwards you often ask yourself: How the hell did he put up those stats? He didnt do anything special, i could do all those things too.
Sports Geek
Junior
And1: 103

Post#663 » by Sports Geek » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:41 am

jrob23 wrote:another one who is full of it. Ntlikina is a top prospect for a reason. He'll be a better NBA player than Doncic, probably by a long shot too

Right now Ntlikina could only clean Doncic's shoes, obviously. Nobody can predict the future, so don't be so sure about your statements.

jrob23 wrote:Here he is scoring 31 in the Under 18 championship game

So you have just proved us right. He is doing pretty much nothing against tier 3 pros and dominating the best prospects in Europe. So pros > prospects. End of the matter.

reanimator wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now imagine Doncic handling the ball in that play, a shoulder on Ntlikina (instead of the second crossover) and he is down to the floor, blocking foul. That's what a pro does, using brain to take advantages.

And no, Musa is not even close to Doncic's level either right now.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,549

Post#664 » by Bob8 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Sports Geek wrote:
jrob23 wrote:another one who is full of it. Ntlikina is a top prospect for a reason. He'll be a better NBA player than Doncic, probably by a long shot too

Right now Ntlikina could only clean Doncic's shoes, obviously. Nobody can predict the future, so don't be so sure about your statements.

jrob23 wrote:Here he is scoring 31 in the Under 18 championship game

So you have just proved us right. He is doing pretty much nothing against tier 3 pros and dominating the best prospects in Europe. So pros > prospects. End of the matter.

reanimator wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now imagine Doncic handling the ball in that play, a shoulder on Ntlikina (instead of the second crossover) and he is down to the floor, blocking foul. That's what a pro does, using brain to take advantages.

And no, Musa is not even close to Doncic's level either right now.

You can't win there. Their logic is something like this. If you're 15 years old, better than anyone else in your competition and you go in higher rank off competition, beating everybody in that competition, you still are not better prospect than kids in low ranking competition, who are not good enough to play in in this better competition, because you're not going head to head with them, because you instead rather plays with better players in better competition and destroying them. And if you accidentally want to compare your self with players from another country, who are playing in lower competition than you, it doesn't matter how you're playing in this better level of competition, where you are one of the best, it's matters only how would you have played in the lower competition, where you don't play, because you are to good for this lover competition. And if you show them your video, where you play against much better players than are the ones they're are playing against. They say, it doesn't matter that players you are playing against at the moment are really much better, because the players they are playing against, who are really worse than players you're playing with, may someday become better than players you are playing with at this moment. Like I said before, we are in Twilight zone. ;)
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#665 » by Von Bismarck » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Bob8 wrote:Doesn't play this U18 games because, he will play in this years Eurobasket, together with Goran Dragic and will have every chance to win a medal.

Don't be silly. There are at least 6 teams in Europe that are better than Slovenia.

Slovenia is 3rd tier of European basketball with Serbia, France and Spain being 1st and Croatia, Greece and Lithuania being second. Slovenia is there with Italy, Turkey and such.

And yeah, Doncic is far superior player than Ntilikina right now. Will Doncic be better in few year? Most likely yes, but who knows.
kayath
Sophomore
And1: 202

Post#666 » by kayath » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:09 pm

I think some smarter people on this board should just realize that you shouldn't argue or fight with windmill while you will only get hit in the face. Altho those windmills are not imaginary you should still take them as such for the sake of the quality of this board.

Return to NBA Draft