Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Re: The simple reason why Wiggins is a better prospect than Hezonja 

Post#41 » by bigboi » Wed Feb 4, 2015 4:38 am

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFfXGRv0KxU[/youtube]

Let me refresh your memory on Smith. He may be an idiot, but to make it seem like he wasn't a freak shows that you don't watch enough basketball
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#42 » by Kabookalu » Wed Feb 4, 2015 5:44 am

bigboi wrote:[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFfXGRv0KxU[/youtube]

Let me refresh your memory on Smith. He may be an idiot, but to make it seem like he wasn't a freak shows that you don't watch enough basketball

He's an overrated athlete. He's explosive, he has a great vertical, but that's it. His body control isn't that great, and it's one of the biggest reasons why Atlanta couldn't really play him at SF and why he can't post up as a PF. He doesn't zig zag well through defenses, and his moves are so slow in the post because of his lack of great body control. His athleticism has served him well enough doing what he's already done; be a beast in transition and guard the pick and roll well.

Kevin Durant is a great athlete, but not on Wiggins' level.

Jabari Parker? I can't believe someone is actually suggesting Parker is anywhere near the athlete Wiggins is. It's asinine. Do casual fans only prize vertical and strength?

You make Josh Smith 6'2 he's out of the league. You make Kevin Durant 6'2 and his athleticism is only average. You make Jabari Parker 6'2 and he's a fat stocky point guard. You make Wiggins 6'2 and he's still one of the most athletic players in the game.
Read on Twitter
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#43 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Feb 4, 2015 7:35 am

Wiggins is a superior athlete and prospect, but I don't think he'll ever have the ball handling and passing ability to be a top 2ish player at the wing. When you aren't a special ballhandler or playmaker, you better have some sort of KD shooting touch and height to compensate

Should be an awesome player though, with amazing defense togo with pretty strong scoring.

Hezonja is more of a quasi-star, complementary piece, but I think he's going to be extremely valuable also.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,722

Post#44 » by AussieBuck » Wed Feb 4, 2015 11:40 am

Choker wrote: His body control isn't that great He doesn't zig zag well through defenses,

Jabari Parker? I can't believe someone is actually suggesting Parker is anywhere near the athlete Wiggins is. It's asinine. Do casual fans only prize vertical and strength?

You make Josh Smith 6'2 he's out of the league. You make Kevin Durant 6'2 and his athleticism is only average. You make Jabari Parker 6'2 and he's a fat stocky point guard. You make Wiggins 6'2 and he's still one of the most athletic players in the game.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So many lols in one post. Jabari has body control and agility with the ball Wiggins could only dream of. Casual fans indeed.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#45 » by Kabookalu » Wed Feb 4, 2015 12:06 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Choker wrote: His body control isn't that great He doesn't zig zag well through defenses,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So many lols in one post. Jabari has body control and agility with the ball Wiggins could only dream of. Casual fans indeed.

With the ball, doesn't make him a better athlete, what a foolish thought. And I was referring to Josh Smith in the bolded. Don't know how you messed that up.

Read on Twitter
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by bigboi » Wed Feb 4, 2015 12:38 pm

Choker wrote:
bigboi wrote:[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFfXGRv0KxU[/youtube]

He's an overrated athlete. He's explosive, he has a great vertical, but that's it. His body control isn't that great, and it's one of the biggest reasons why Atlanta couldn't really play him at SF and why he can't post up as a PF. He doesn't zig zag well through defenses, and his moves are so slow in the post because of his lack of great body control. His athleticism has served him well enough doing what he's already done; be a beast in transition and guard the pick and roll well.

Kevin Durant is a great athlete, but not on Wiggins' level.

Casuals gonna casual. The reason ATL couldn't play Smith at SF has to do with his lack of shooting ability. Smith has excellent body control, what are you talking about? And his post game was excellent but he just never wanted to use it. I never said Parker was more athletic, I said that he uses his athleticism better in games, which is true. Also what fairy tale land, do you live in? You can't just make a person 6'2 and determine their athleticism from there. That's a bunch of nonsense. That's like me saying if Shaquille or KG were 6'2, they wouldn't be noticeable. Your argument makes no sense
tlee324 wrote:

Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#47 » by Kabookalu » Wed Feb 4, 2015 12:51 pm

bigboi wrote:Casuals gonna casual. The reason ATL couldn't play Smith at SF has to do with his lack of shooting ability. Smith has excellent body control, what are you talking about? And his post game was excellent but he just never wanted to use it. I never said Parker was more athletic, I said that he uses his athleticism better in games, which is true. Also what fairy tale land, do you live in? You can't just make a person 6'2 and determine their athleticism from there. That's a bunch of nonsense. That's like me saying if Shaquille or KG were 6'2, they wouldn't be noticeable. Your argument makes no sense

If Smith's body control was excellent he wouldn't look so sloppy trying to dribble the ball or handle it. And saying he chooses not to use his post game is a cop out; he chooses not to use it because he can't. He doesn't possess the necessary athletic traits to make use of it. His body control is decent enough that it allows him to do what he's been doing his entire career, make the highlight defensive play and guard the pick and roll. He doesn't at all excel in areas of body control that would make use of his ball skills, which given it's Smith would be for the better. He shoots so many dumb shots because he can't really do anything else with the ball in the half court. He can't shift from side to side, he can't explode without a running start, he's a very overrated athlete even in his prime.

And I concede to that, Parker does make better use of his athleticism given how much more skilled he is. His footwork is much better and he's uncannily nibble on his feet. He probably possesses the best footwork I've seen from a rookie wing since Grant Hill.

You missed my point. It's to compare players' athleticism pound for pound with their physical advantages not being a factor. Durant is a great athlete but being an excellent ballhandler and lights out shooter at his height and wingspan helps. Josh Smith without his height and the same athleticism wouldn't be an NBA player. Jabari Parker, as much as I praised his footwork earlier, wouldn't have the athleticism necessary to survive as a 6'2 player, unless he had Steve Nash like skills.

Andrew Wiggins on the other hand, even if you shrunk him down to 6'2 while retaining the same athleticism he has now, he'd still be elite. His first step would be amongst the best in the league still. His lateral quickness would still be amongst the best in the league. He'd still be explosive and he'd still be able to jump super high. It's just that now that he's 6'2, he would be a lot more ordinary as a player, but he'd still be an athletic specimen as a 6'2 PG. Though at 6'8 with the athleticism he has now, he looks like he'll be challenging Durant and Davis for best player in the league in the future.

Read on Twitter
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#48 » by AussieBuck » Wed Feb 4, 2015 9:28 pm

Choker wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:

With the ball, doesn't make him a better athlete, what a foolish thought. And I was referring to Josh Smith in the bolded. Don't know how you messed that up.

I didn't mess it up, just having a chuckle that you've identified the limiting factor in Smith's athleticism and pretended it isn't the same factor that limits Mr spams a spin move because he can't move laterally Wiggins. Jabari is a great athlete because he can zig zag at speed while being strong as an ox. (At least when he isn't blowing out his knee) Your post came off as a parody which is what made it so funny. :D
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Kabookalu
RealGM

Post#49 » by Kabookalu » Wed Feb 4, 2015 10:43 pm

AussieBuck wrote:I didn't mess it up, just having a chuckle that you've identified the limiting factor in Smith's athleticism and pretended it isn't the same factor that limits Mr spams a spin move because he can't move laterally Wiggins. Jabari is a great athlete because he can zig zag at speed while being strong as an ox. (At least when he isn't blowing out his knee) Your post came off as a parody which is what made it so funny. :D

Are you ****ing kidding me? Wiggins can't move laterally? Do you watch him play with both eyes closed?

Read on Twitter
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#50 » by AussieBuck » Wed Feb 4, 2015 10:53 pm

Choker wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:I didn't mess it up, just having a chuckle that you've identified the limiting factor in Smith's athleticism and pretended it isn't the same factor that limits Mr spams a spin move because he can't move laterally Wiggins. Jabari is a great athlete because he can zig zag at speed while being strong as an ox. (At least when he isn't blowing out his knee) Your post came off as a parody which is what made it so funny. :D

Are you ****ing kidding me? Wiggins can't move laterally? Do you watch him play with both eyes closed?

He can on D a bit. I consider coordination and body control in athleticism not just speed and vert. Each to his own I guess.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,846

Post#51 » by Zeitgeister » Wed Feb 4, 2015 11:09 pm

AussieBuck wrote:
Choker wrote:

He can on D a bit. I consider coordination and body control in athleticism not just speed and vert. Each to his own I guess.

I think that has a lot more to do with his handles than his lateral movement.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
AussieBuck
RealGM

Post#52 » by AussieBuck » Wed Feb 4, 2015 11:11 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:
AussieBuck wrote:
Choker wrote:

I think that has a lot more to do with his handles than his lateral movement.

Some of it for sure, he's still not fluid compared to a lot of wings.
emunney wrote:

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#53 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:42 pm

Wiggins, at no point in his college or NBA career has ever looked like he is going to challenge Davis or Durant for best player in the league.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#54 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Feb 7, 2015 7:21 pm

Wiggins is not near the prospect that Durant and Davis are/were, that much was apparent as soon as Wiggin's joined the NCAA.

Comparing Wiggin's rookie season to Davis and Durant is absurd. Wiggins will not be the best player in the league, he is nowhere near as skilled as Davis or Durant are.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#55 » by SharoneWright » Sun Feb 8, 2015 8:58 am

Wiggins gonna rule the L (with Davis) in about 3 years.

The Smoove/Parker comparisons gonna look foolish.

(handle =/= athleticism)
[i wish he had a handle]
([he dominates w/o a handle])
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#56 » by bigboi » Sun Feb 8, 2015 8:21 pm

SharoneWright wrote:Wiggins gonna rule the L (with Davis) in about 3 years.

The Smoove/Parker comparisons gonna look foolish.

(handle =/= athleticism)
[i wish he had a handle]
([he dominates w/o a handle])

If Parker's injury doesn't affect him too much, he will be better than Wiggins. Wiggins will be very good, but I don't think he'll be better than Giannis or Parker. The person that I think will run the league is Josh Jackson, now that guy is something special.
tlee324 wrote:

bigboi
Lead Assistant

Post#57 » by bigboi » Sun Feb 8, 2015 8:46 pm

Choker wrote:
bigboi wrote:Casuals gonna casual. The reason ATL couldn't play Smith at SF has to do with his lack of shooting ability. Smith has excellent body control, what are you talking about? And his post game was excellent but he just never wanted to use it. I never said Parker was more athletic, I said that he uses his athleticism better in games, which is true. Also what fairy tale land, do you live in? You can't just make a person 6'2 and determine their athleticism from there. That's a bunch of nonsense. That's like me saying if Shaquille or KG were 6'2, they wouldn't be noticeable. Your argument makes no sense

If Smith's body control was excellent he wouldn't look so sloppy trying to dribble the ball or handle it. And saying he chooses not to use his post game is a cop out; he chooses not to use it because he can't. He doesn't possess the necessary athletic traits to make use of it. His body control is decent enough that it allows him to do what he's been doing his entire career, make the highlight defensive play and guard the pick and roll. He doesn't at all excel in areas of body control that would make use of his ball skills, which given it's Smith would be for the better. He shoots so many dumb shots because he can't really do anything else with the ball in the half court. He can't shift from side to side, he can't explode without a running start, he's a very overrated athlete even in his prime.

And I concede to that, Parker does make better use of his athleticism given how much more skilled he is. His footwork is much better and he's uncannily nibble on his feet. He probably possesses the best footwork I've seen from a rookie wing since Grant Hill.

You missed my point. It's to compare players' athleticism pound for pound with their physical advantages not being a factor. Durant is a great athlete but being an excellent ballhandler and lights out shooter at his height and wingspan helps. Josh Smith without his height and the same athleticism wouldn't be an NBA player. Jabari Parker, as much as I praised his footwork earlier, wouldn't have the athleticism necessary to survive as a 6'2 player, unless he had Steve Nash like skills.

Andrew Wiggins on the other hand, even if you shrunk him down to 6'2 while retaining the same athleticism he has now, he'd still be elite. His first step would be amongst the best in the league still. His lateral quickness would still be amongst the best in the league. He'd still be explosive and he'd still be able to jump super high. It's just that now that he's 6'2, he would be a lot more ordinary as a player, but he'd still be an athletic specimen as a 6'2 PG. Though at 6'8 with the athleticism he has now, he looks like he'll be challenging Durant and Davis for best player in the league in the future.

So much wrong in this post. First of all, what in the world does body control have to do with handling the ball. That has much more to do with skill level and coordination if anything. Also that argument still doesn't help Wiggins because his handles are garbage and sloppy as well. Saying he doesn't like to use his post game isn't a cop out at all. He obviously doesn't like banging down low due to the wear and tear on the body, it has nothing to do with body control. Any Pistons or Hawks fan, who have actually watched Smith play can tell you this. And Josh Smith can't explode without a running start? :lol: You're exposing yourself, you have no idea about what you're talking about. Slithering through the defense doesn't make you some super athlete. Kyrie Irving slithers through the defense and shifts side to side better than anyone in the league, but no one is going to call him a better athlete than Westbrook, who doesn't shift side to side much and pretty much charges at players like a bull.

If a player can't use their athleticism in game then why're you even bragging about it. Anyone can put up good combine numbers, but not everyone can showcase their athleticism on the court and that's all that really numbers. Parker uses his athleticism better and that's all that matters.

Why're you still bringing up this 6'2 thing lmao. You shrink Shaq, both ADs, and Durant to 6'2, they're probably not NBA players. You shrink Wiggins to 6'2, he wouldn't be an NBA player either. Height is a factor when considering athleticism, there's a reason why Lebron is considered one of the best athletes of all time. It's not just because of his freakish speed or jumping ability, but also do to him being 6'8 and doing all the things that he does. And are you serious right now? If Wiggins was 6'2, we wouldn't be talking about him at all. Dude wouldn't be specimen at all anymore. The whole hype around Wiggins is due to height, he moves well and jumps high for a 6'8 guy. Make him 6'2 and he isn't special at all especially considering the fact that he's a mediocre 1 foot jumper. Wiggins will be really good, but please stop overrating him and his athleticism. If Parker's injury doesn't affect him too much, he'll be better than Wiggins and Giannis probably will too. Josh Jackson will be running the league though.
tlee324 wrote:

Return to NBA Draft