The Great Debate: The College Wings - Oubre, Johnson, Winslow

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Powe-Fessional
Junior
And1: 490

Re: The Great Debate: The College Wings - Oubre, Johnson, Winslow 

Post#21 » by Powe-Fessional » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:35 pm

I was looking to see what Winslow would do once Sulaimon got released, and he surely hasn't disappointed. I've been saying for a while that I think Boston ends up with him. There's just something about him that screams Brad Stevens partnered with the fact that, albeit it's not the most pressing issue for Boston (center #1), Boston could use a young wing. He might not be the highest rated guy but he'd earn minutes right now just based off his defense. I don't know if you can say that for Stanley or Mario, and you definitely can't say that for Oubre.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#22 » by No-Man » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Powe-Fessional wrote:I was looking to see what Winslow would do once Sulaimon got released, and he surely hasn't disappointed. I've been saying for a while that I think Boston ends up with him. There's just something about him that screams Brad Stevens partnered with the fact that, albeit it's not the most pressing issue for Boston (center #1), Boston could use a young wing. He might not be the highest rated guy but he'd earn minutes right now just based off his defense. I don't know if you can say that for Stanley or Mario, and you definitely can't say that for Oubre.

Winslow wont get pass Sacramento or Utah.
Nuggets18
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#23 » by Nuggets18 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Fischella wrote:
Catalysm wrote:For all the Oubre scholars, how effective do you guys feel he would be in Stan Van Gundy's system? Assuming we have the same team plus maybe Khris Middleton or some other 3 point shooting SF.

I dont know, he is atheltic, really long and his shooting is sweet, but he is not a high IQ guy, and you have a pletora of dumb players in Detroit already.
But if he is there you take him I guess, you need a wing and he might be the guy with highest ceiling available.

Oubre by the way could end up been a 6'7 Rudy Fernandez, who imo, is not bad at all, since he has some of the physical attributes Rudy lacked.
Hezonja is nothing at all like Fernandez.

On the great deabte, again, this is Winslow spot to lose, he is at the top of the college wings clearly.

what? How is Oubre more similar to Rudy?

Hezonja is way to in love with the 3pt shot. like Rudy who shot and insane amount of 3's his rookie season. they are both athletic, but doesnt use it other than flashy alley-oops, dont drive to the basket, almost never gets to the FT line, and inconsisten, subpar defense.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#24 » by rumdiary » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Excellent post OP. Like a good book I couldn't stop reading. I was weighing up these three in my head, scrolled through RealGM and here was your thread with much more insight than I would've provided myself. It's so important to assess players based upon the systems in which they play, and that's exactly what you did (re-read this and it sounds patronising, apologies :D )

vdalfmd wrote:1) Despite having an enormous size advantage every single game in NCAA basketball (we're talking about 50 pounds advantage over his defender every night), he's not so good at finishing at the rim (I see him setting up for floaters or mid-range attempts too often instead of power dunking). If he's not dominating in this aspect of his game at this level, I think we must reconsider his offensive potential as an NBA player. I give credit to his developing post-game, instead.

This is my biggest concern about Stanley but it's the same as my biggest concern for Andrew Wiggins last year, but is that a reason for it not to concern me with Stanley Johnson? I'm really not sure.
vdalfmd
Sophomore
And1: 73

Post#25 » by vdalfmd » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:38 pm

I wanted to read some opinions about Winslow's improvements in ball-handling and shooting. Maybe, who knows, he'll be a SG in the NBA. At 6'6 with 6'10 wingspan maybe he's short in some way for the 3 spot but it can also happen that he has actually grown up a little up from last year.
He's my last doubt surrounding him, because after the tournament he should go definitely Top 5. Most athletic wing in the lottery, two-way potential, high-IQ. Very good prospect.
Im Your Father
Senior
And1: 254

Post#26 » by Im Your Father » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:04 pm

vdalfmd wrote:I wanted to read some opinions about Winslow's improvements in ball-handling and shooting. Maybe, who knows, he'll be a SG in the NBA. At 6'6 with 6'10 wingspan maybe he's short in some way for the 3 spot but it can also happen that he has actually grown up a little up from last year.
He's my last doubt surrounding him, because after the tournament he should go definitely Top 5. Most athletic wing in the lottery, two-way potential, high-IQ. Very good prospect.

I think Winslow is plenty big to play the 3 in the NBA. Duke just hasn't inflated his height. Winslow measured 6'6 without shoes, with a 6'10 wingspan in 2014. For comparison, Johnson, who supposedly has great size, measured at 6'6.75 with a 6'11.5 wingspan.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jus ... slow-7190/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Sta ... son-46065/
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#27 » by sweetcity » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:10 pm

Fischella wrote:
Catalysm wrote:For all the Oubre scholars, how effective do you guys feel he would be in Stan Van Gundy's system? Assuming we have the same team plus maybe Khris Middleton or some other 3 point shooting SF.

I dont know, he is atheltic, really long and his shooting is sweet, but he is not a high IQ guy, and you have a pletora of dumb players in Detroit already.
But if he is there you take him I guess, you need a wing and he might be the guy with highest ceiling available.

Oubre by the way could end up been a 6'7 Rudy Fernandez, who imo, is not bad at all, since he has some of the physical attributes Rudy lacked.

On the great deabte, again, this is Winslow spot to lose, he is at the top of the college wings clearly.

Clearly? Its pretty clear your not reading the thread. All three have great attributes. Stick to your opinion being Winslow #1 and leave it at that
JimboSlice
Senior
And1: 16

The Great Debate: The College Wings - Oubre, Johnson, Winslow 

Post#28 » by JimboSlice » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:40 pm

For me it's
1) Johnson
2) Winslow

3) Oubre

I have a tendency to favor players with more nba ready skills over players whose greatest skill is "potential". Oubre's ceiling is probably higher than either of the other two, but the difference is that right now, both Johnson and Winslow are already good players, who do many different things well. Oubre can be a good player, and can do many things well, but "can" is the operational word.

If I'm a team like a Philly or LAL that is trying to maximize talent, I MIGHT gamble on Oubre over the other two, but with a lot of the lotto teams this year (outside the top 5, where it's looking like all these guys will land) being not far off from playoff teams, I think I'd go with the more sure money in Johnson or Winslow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#29 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 1, 2015 4:49 pm

I have no clue how anybody today could pick Winslow over Johnson, and back in September I was one of the Stanley´s most die hard defenders, and thought he could be a top3 pick, but the reality is clear.
I still have Johnson as a lotto pick, probably in the 8-12 range, but having him ahead of Winslow makes no sense.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#30 » by rumdiary » Mon Apr 6, 2015 4:27 pm

Maybe this year there just aren't any Top Tier small forwards? Sam Dekker and Mario Hezonja could be added to this thread. In fact Dekker might even be the safest pick of all of them, and that's not just because Wisconsin are through to the Final tonight, I've been watching him for a long time.

Stanley Johnson still has the highest ceiling, but also seems pretty unlikely to reach it.
Rusted
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#31 » by Rusted » Sat May 2, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm a bit late to the debate, and think many of you guys are right with Winslow first and Johnson 2nd, but I have a feeling Oubre has the highest ceiling of the group.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,154

Post#32 » by dolphinatik » Sun May 3, 2015 4:14 pm

Ceiling it goes Oubre, Winslow, Johnson
Talent it goes Winslow, Oubre, Johnson
Skill it goes Johnson, Winslow, Oubre

To simplify it Stanley is a product of all his hard work, Winslow right now is a product of his natural talent and instincts. Oubre is physically gifted but hasnt really capatilized on his gifts.

Winslow > Johnson >>>> Oubre.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#33 » by hoophabit » Tue May 5, 2015 5:03 pm

Fischella wrote:

Seriously, "a plethora of dumb players in Detroit?" Winslow looks good, but I'm never comfortable living or dying with predictions based on a player's role on their college team. I'm always a little leery of tournament standout bounce. Too often a player comes into the big league and surprises everyone, both good and bad.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,799

Post#34 » by HotelVitale » Tue May 5, 2015 8:15 pm

Powe-Fessional wrote:I posted this over in our Celtics forum....So Fidel Sarcasmo challenged someone to look closer into "Which do you prefer: Justice Winslow, Stanley Johnson, or Kelly Oubre?", and because I think the Celtics could absolutely end up with one of these guys I took it upon myself to try and get a better understanding of which guy Boston should target.

Just curious how the Celtics end up with one of these guys. All three plus Hezonja seem like consensus top 12 picks and Boston's picking 16. If any of them fall, you'd probably happily take one 'em. There's very very little chance Boston's going to get their choice of them.

Is there a trade partner/package Celts fans already have in mind?
Powe-Fessional
Junior
And1: 490

Post#35 » by Powe-Fessional » Wed May 6, 2015 10:54 am

I would love any of them, but I posted this back in early February (started the research in January). I had no idea Justise was going to have the tournament run that he did (although the talent was pretty obvious). At that time Boston didn't have Isaiah Thomas yet, so they were looking at a top-10/top-7 pick. Things have changed dramatically. I agree that there's little chance any of these fall to 16.

Return to NBA Draft