2015 Nike Hoop Summit

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Re: 2015 Nike Hoop Summit 

Post#141 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:07 pm

Fischella wrote:Charalampopoulos is slow as molasses compared to Simmons, doesnt have his handle, or his size.
I am not as high on Simmons as others, he lacks size defensively for a PF and his shot is suspicious, but he looks like he could at least replicate something between Diaw and Odom, with his absolute ceiling been a homeless LeBron James.
People that talk about him been a SF are nuts, he is actually going to play a ton of Center at LSU.
Charalampopoulos is a PF with no size or athleticism.

You are right on the money with Maker though, but the hype went down on him at least a year ago, you wont find any place that has him as a top5-top10 pick anymore.

Charalampopoulos is not slow at all. At Under-17 world championship he was beating Team USA off dribble the whole game and dunked all over them also. He is more quick enough for 3 position and also has plenty of size for 3 or 4 position. he also has very good handles and can initiate offense. He is in fact a very good ball handler. I did not see actually any player in the Hoops Summit better than he is.

That is my point, either too much hype on some of these players, or maybe there is too much pessimism on players in Europe or combination of both. I don't know. But world team sure could have picked some better guards though. They needed Simmons to do most of play making.

Anyway, Simmons has a lot of nice attributes for a 6-10 player, but really Charalampopulous is basically the same player, only with a much better jump shots and scoring ability. So yes, there is much too much hype on some of these players, and also over looking on some others.

I can only imagine how some player like Bender would have destroyed in a game like this.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#142 » by Marcus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:Charalampopoulos is not slow at all. At Under-17 world championship he was beating Team USA off dribble the whole game and dunked all over them also. He is more quick enough for 3 position and also has plenty of size for 3 or 4 position. he also has very good handles and can initiate offense. He is in fact a very good ball handler. I did not see actually any player in the Hoops Summit better than he is.

your guy coming over anytime soon?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Greek
Starter
And1: 447

Post#143 » by Greek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:18 pm

To get an idea who is Charalampopoulos watch this video. I see him more of a PF since he doesnt have an explosive athleticism, but his skill level is well beyond his years.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dGRSEKzR2A[/youtube]
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#144 » by Marcus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:24 pm

Greek wrote:To get an idea who is Charalampopoulos watch this video. I see him more of a PF since he doesnt have an explosive athleticism, but his skill level is well beyond his years.

do you know if he has any plans to come to the US?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Greek
Starter

Post#145 » by Greek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:52 pm

Marcus wrote:
Greek wrote:To get an idea who is Charalampopoulos watch this video. I see him more of a PF since he doesnt have an explosive athleticism, but his skill level is well beyond his years.

If you mean collage ball no. His team hired coach Ivanovic who is known for developing youngsters so most probably will use the rout of Mirotic, than to come raw in the NBA, but i think that he is willing to try in the league if he pans out. The scary part is maybe not even the best talent of PAO youth. On his age is Panagiannis 7'1 C 7'5 wing span soft touch decent athleticism, very good skill level, has some issues with his endurance, but its acceptable for his age and built. Reports saying that he is making huge progress on the last 3 months. He used to play in US high school and was 5 star recruiting. I can see him being lottery pick in 2 years and move in NBA at the same year. He is currently rated top 3 talent in Europe.

The 1998 born Lountzis is already 6'5 with huge huge wing span and his game is similar to Diamantidis (legendary player in Europe, one of the best PG ever, and the best defensive guard ever by large margin in the Europe, and its not an overstatement, just check his accolades) but way better athlete, and can shoot the 3 already. Good passing instincts, he can see the floor. A do it all PG and defensive menace who can guard 3 positions.

I actually think that maybe is the best prospect playing in Greece right now, since he doesnt have the typical weakness of the Greek players namely athleticism.

I cant predict the future but those 3 names will hear a lot on the next 2-3 years thats for sure.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#146 » by Marcus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:56 pm

Greek wrote:If you mean collage ball no. His team hired coach Ivanovic who is known for developing youngsters so most probably will use the rout of Mirotic, than to come raw in the NBA, but i think that he is willing to try in the league if he pans out.

so maybe another what 5 years or so before he hits the league.

G. Pap i knew about. I like that kid's game should be in top 5-10 convo at the least when he makes the move over.
Watch More Basketball

Greek
Starter

Post#147 » by Greek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:11 pm

Marcus wrote:
Greek wrote:If you mean collage ball no. His team hired coach Ivanovic who is known for developing youngsters so most probably will use the rout of Mirotic, than to come raw in the NBA, but i think that he is willing to try in the league if he pans out.

G. Pap i knew about. I like that kid's game should be in top 5-10 convo at the least when he makes the move over.

Its a wild guess but the owners of PAO are one of the richest people in Greece that are crazy about basketball, something like Cuban but to even more extreme and they love him. Still Fotsis made the leap as a wonderboy on his 19, he came back to the team, VSpan the same. The kid looks very humble and mature. I think that he will make the leap when he feels that is ready to get major minutes.

He needs to work his body,wide shoulders, but not lots of muscle definition. Ivanovic is known for being notorious on that aspect so i expect on the next 2 years to lose some baby fat that he curries, but i cant predict what position will chose going further. If he is gonna be SF he as to work his athleticism and keep his weight down. If is gonna be PF, he cant be above the rim player, so he will have to be stronger.

Next season will be the backup SF of the team, so we can tell much more about his development.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#148 » by Marcus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:18 pm

Greek wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Its a wild guess but the owners of PAO are one of the richest people in Greece that are crazy about basketball, something like Cuban but to even more extreme and they love him. Still Fotsis made the leap as a wonderboy on his 19, he came back to the team, VSpan the same. The kid looks very humble and mature. I think that he will make the leap when he feels that is ready to get major minutes.

He needs to work his body,wide shoulders, but not lots of muscle definition. Ivanovic is known for being notorious on that aspect so i expect on the next 2 years to lose some baby fat that he curries, but i cant predict what position will chose going further. If he is gonna be SF he as to work his athleticism and keep his weight down. If is gonna be PF, he cant be above the rim player, so he will have to be stronger.

Next season will be the backup SF of the team, so we can tell much more about his development.

well hopefully we will have posters like you around to keep us updated on the progress of both these kids and others that we may not know about. I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions.
Watch More Basketball

Greek
Starter

Post#149 » by Greek » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Scouting Greek youth players is refreshing for me, watching films of them and try to predict the future is the way to throw my stress away . I just hope in 15 years my 3.5 y/o son to be talked as a prospect too :). He will end up around 6'3-6'5. I can dream dont i? :)
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#150 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:54 am

Greek wrote:
Marcus wrote:

If you mean collage ball no. His team hired coach Ivanovic who is known for developing youngsters so most probably will use the rout of Mirotic, than to come raw in the NBA, but i think that he is willing to try in the league if he pans out. The scary part is maybe not even the best talent of PAO youth. On his age is Panagiannis 7'1 C 7'5 wing span soft touch decent athleticism, very good skill level, has some issues with his endurance, but its acceptable for his age and built. Reports saying that he is making huge progress on the last 3 months. He used to play in US high school and was 5 star recruiting. I can see him being lottery pick in 2 years and move in NBA at the same year. He is currently rated top 3 talent in Europe.

The 1998 born Lountzis is already 6'5 with huge huge wing span and his game is similar to Diamantidis (legendary player in Europe, one of the best PG ever, and the best defensive guard ever by large margin in the Europe, and its not an overstatement, just check his accolades) but way better athlete, and can shoot the 3 already. Good passing instincts, he can see the floor. A do it all PG and defensive menace who can guard 3 positions.

I actually think that maybe is the best prospect playing in Greece right now, since he doesnt have the typical weakness of the Greek players namely athleticism.

I cant predict the future but those 3 names will hear a lot on the next 2-3 years thats for sure.

I am sure Charalampopoulos will be a first round draft pick. As soon as he works out for NBA teams and scouts and as soon as he goes to a rookie camp like at Treviso. Players that far ahead of all others in their class are tending to get drafted these days high. It is not like it used to be where many of the greatest players ever from Europe never got drafted.

Just see for other players from Greece, that they have Vezenkov in mid 2nd round and even that is where Papanikolaou went, and Charalampopoulos seems like a much more all around and complete player than both of them.

As far as Papagiannis goes, every report says he will be in NCAA next season. From what I know Kentucky is on him extremely hard as are several other big schools. He will then spend one year in NCAA and go to NBA. There is very small chance he will stay in Panathinaikos.

For the player Lountzis that you mention, I see basically no similarity at all to Diamantidis, other than them being Greek and they are Panathinaikos players. That must be a marketing thing someone from the club came up with. I have watched Lountzis play in the youth camps and he is much, much more athletic than Diamantidis has ever been and his scoring skills and ability is far greater than anything Diamantidis ever had. He is also already probably even as a kid a better shooter than Diamantidis.

Diamantidis is basic pass the ball and move it round, pick and pop, pick and roll, have a some set a screen and shoot it, or let the big man dive the basket and throw it to him player, with an occasion post up of a smaller guard. Can play three positions on offense, point forward type player, wing defender on defense type of guy. Can knock down an open jumper on catch and shoot occasionally but that is it.

Lountzis really bares no similarity at all to that type of player. He's a very athletic, explosive scorer, guy that creates his own shot, and looks to score on fast break and also very good shooter off the dribble. I would compare Lountzis from what I see at youth camps as rich's man's Rudy Fernandez. Basically, Rudy with better skills. I think he is way more talented and better player than Diamantidis. Diamantidis is guy that played years and years and years in championship teams and made a legend in that club with its fans and got admiration in Greece with certain people from when they won gold medal in Euro in 2005 from clutch play.

He is obviously a great player, but he has never been a very good offensive scoring player. In his whole career, he never really saw a second or help defender, let alone double team, and still struggled on offense most of the time individually without 2 man game. His career is made on being a winner, being clutch, hitting big shots, things like that, not his individual talent or how good he was as an individual player. That's a fact, no matter how much some Panathinaikos fans or Greeks can't stand it. He was never some player like Navarro, Bodiroga, Spanoulis, that were individually superstars and dominant type talents in Europe, not even was he ever someone like Jasikevicius to be honest about it. And his level of defense has always been greatly exaggerated. Just like they have myths about how certain players play defense in NBA (Chris Paul or Kobe for many years), they do also in Europe, and Diamantidis is perfect example. He was for many years not even the best defender in his team.

Young Lountzis is a much more talented player than him and they really are not at all similar. You are selling him short to make that comparison, even if you don't realize it because in Greece they have unwarranted over worship syndrome for Diamantidis, giving him credit just basically for being in a good team year after year, and confusing it with being some kind of Jordan.

No, that Lountzis kid is much above Diamantidis in prospects. He has much more of a chance than to just be a guy throwing pick and roll passes 30 times a game like Diamantidis. He has actual real individual talent, personality, and individual scoring ability, something more in line with Greek players like Galis, Spanoulis, Christodoulou, Giannakis, Pappas.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#151 » by 165bows » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:45 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/deanondraft/status/588025074092998656[/tweet]
splendidham
Sophomore
And1: 36

2015 Nike Hoop Summit 

Post#152 » by splendidham » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:26 am

How much more do you think Ben can bulk up without losing his speed? His dad is very solid.
I really liked Murray, even though I felt he looked for his own a bit. He still looked great. Skal and Ben seemed to have a little two man game going too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#153 » by Marcus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:37 pm

splendidham wrote:Skal and Ben seemed to have a little two man game going too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just 2 high basketball IQ kids playing off of each other. the game can be a thing of beauty when played the right way.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft