Total votes: 32

Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Re: The Other Power Forwards.... 

Post#21 » by Johnlac1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He probably won't get drafted, but he will make an NBA roster at some point. He'll likely have to play in the D League long enough to prove he can make 3's, and a smart team will sign him.

I would bet that White is at worst a second round pick.

Let's be honest - he doesn't pass the eye test, and he lacks length in addition to height. And he doesn't rebound well. Maybe someone drafts him late 2nd, but if he goes 1st round, you could knock me over with a feather.

As a Wisconsin fan I've seen a lot of White this year. He's not much different than Adreian Payne who is now getting playing time for Minnesota. White is severely underrated.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#22 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:43 pm

DickGrayson wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:wheres Martin?

Just wondering - does anyone (other than draftexpress) consider Jarell Martin a better prospect than Jordan Mickey?

I believe Martin is ranked 20-30, Mickey is somewhere 30-50

Yeah, I think it should be reversed. Martin's bigger, but Mickey's longer, a better athlete, and I think a better player.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:I would bet that White is at worst a second round pick.

Let's be honest - he doesn't pass the eye test, and he lacks length in addition to height. And he doesn't rebound well. Maybe someone drafts him late 2nd, but if he goes 1st round, you could knock me over with a feather.

As a Wisconsin fan I've seen a lot of White this year. He's not much different than Adreian Payne who is now getting playing time for Minnesota. White is severely underrated.

One difference between them is Payne has a 7'4 wingspan while White measured at 6'10. And the 2 games I've seen Payne play in the NBA - he looked "payneful". Granted, he's a rookie, but he's a 24 year old rookie.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:16 am

White really came on the last month of the season. First team all Big Ten. I liked him last season, but this season he improved his outside shot considerably. He might not have a great wingspan, but neither does Blake Griffin. Not that White will be that good, but for all the reasons I mentioned in previous posts, I consider him a very good pro prospect.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Post#25 » by Notanoob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:48 am

I'd say that White is a much better player than Payne on offense. Much smarter player, miles better as a ball handler and foul-drawer. White's problem is that he's weak and with his wingspan he'll struggle to guard the other guy. His only similarities to Payne are that he can shoot 3s, he's from the Big 10 and he's a senior. Payne just doesn't have the same sort of scoring instincts that White does.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#26 » by TyCobb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:52 am

Ruzious wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Just wondering - does anyone (other than draftexpress) consider Jarell Martin a better prospect than Jordan Mickey?

Yeah, I think it should be reversed. Martin's bigger, but Mickey's longer, a better athlete, and I think a better player.

Martin is the more skilled basketball player who knows how to put the ball in the basket. Mickey can block college players shots. That's it. Zero offensive game.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,562

Post#27 » by theonlyclutch » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:17 am

Kyle Wiltjer anybody? Statline of 24.2/8.5/2.8 pace adjusted per 40 on a NCAA 2-seed, has a 63% TS and a 46.5% 3P on 4 attempts per game, I can't see him not getting drafted somewhere, assuming he declares after this year.
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:50 pm

TyCobb wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:

Martin is the more skilled basketball player who knows how to put the ball in the basket. Mickey can block college players shots. That's it. Zero offensive game.

So Martin's lack of length and blah athleticism is going to allow his knowledge of how to put the ball in the basket translate to the NBA?
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,815

Post#29 » by TyCobb » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yeah, I think it should be reversed. Martin's bigger, but Mickey's longer, a better athlete, and I think a better player.

So Martin's lack of length and blah athleticism is going to allow his knowledge of how to put the ball in the basket translate to the NBA?

Have you seen Martin at all? He is plenty quick and explosive... not sure where 'blah athleticism' is coming from. He also has a strong body that he uses well around the rim. He can score in a variety of ways; face up game, post, decent midrange game, and run the floor.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:49 pm

TyCobb wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
TyCobb wrote:

Have you seen Martin at all? He is plenty quick and explosive... not sure where 'blah athleticism' is coming from. He also has a strong body that he uses well around the rim. He can score in a variety of ways; face up game, post, decent midrange game, and run the floor.

I've seen him enough to realize he's not an explosive athlete. It's pretty obvious when you compare him to his teammate. His lack of explosiveness and lack of length are going to be hard to overcome in projecting his offense to the NBA. And mid-range jump shots are the least efficient shots you can take.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:01 pm

theonlyclutch wrote:Kyle Wiltjer anybody? Statline of 24.2/8.5/2.8 pace adjusted per 40 on a NCAA 2-seed, has a 63% TS and a 46.5% 3P on 4 attempts per game, I can't see him not getting drafted somewhere, assuming he declares after this year.

He can certainly shoot from distance. But he's only a fair athlete and not real strong. I see him as sort of a Ryan Kelly-Steve Novak kind of player. Which is not too bad.

Return to NBA Draft