2016 draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

radtech
Senior
And1: 46

2016 draft 

Post#1 » by radtech » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:06 am

Which teams r going to tank the 2015-2016 to get a chance to draft Ben Simmons?

First it depends on 2015 free agency, the Knicks will hav a ton of cap space but do they use only a partial of it to continue to be bad? The 76ers have gutted their team and plan to rebuild through the draft only, so they may stay away from big ticket players. The Lakers, Kobe's last season, have major holes to fill everywhere. Will they sign major free agents or tank to find Kobe's replacement in Simmons?

Second, these teams just always seem to lose no matter what. The Wolves, Kings, and Nuggets. Bad trades, injury problems, mid season coaching changes, and draft picks just not paying off.

Which team will likely sacrifice everything 4 Simmons?
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: 2016 draft 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:21 pm

I know this is off-topic, but this is the most recent 2016 draft thread I've found. Anyway, I think next draft could be pretty good. I think Xavier Rathan Mayes could be in for a big year.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#3 » by Kabookalu » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:32 pm

I definitely know the Knicks are going to do their hardest to win, because they don't even own their first round pick (they traded it to us for Bargnani LOL).
Read on Twitter
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#4 » by nybluemeadow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:30 pm

Knicks can't afford to lose. Carmelo is already 32yr old!
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#5 » by jpengland » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:41 pm

Ben Simmons is perhaps the most sure fire thing since LeBron, he is phenomenal.

There will be plenty of tanking next year IMO. But we won't know who until Free AGency plays out, teams like the Knicks will base their season plans on what happens with the big names.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#6 » by LofJ » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:54 pm

The Knicks can't tank and the Lakers will only keep their pick if they get lucky in the lottery again, so neither can tank. The Nuggets are a safe bet to tank for the 2016 draft. And if Dallas, Portland, or Boston completely strike out in free agency I think any of those three could go for a rebuild year. I think the Celtics are especially likely to go for that. So I'd say look for Denver, Minnesota, Boston, Philadelphia, any maybe Portland/Dallas to be in contention to draft in the top 5.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#7 » by bigboi » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:58 pm

jpengland wrote:Ben Simmons is perhaps the most sure fire thing since LeBron, he is phenomenal.

There will be plenty of tanking next year IMO. But we won't know who until Free AGency plays out, teams like the Knicks will base their season plans on what happens with the big names.

Stuff like this gets said every year. Simmons is overrated, he's a stiff and won't look that great against college competition
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#8 » by jpengland » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:05 pm

bigboi wrote:
jpengland wrote:Ben Simmons is perhaps the most sure fire thing since LeBron, he is phenomenal.

Stuff like this gets said every year. Simmons is overrated, he's a stiff and won't look that great against college competition

A stiff? GTFO.

The guy has a great feel for the game, is fluid and strong. The game seems to slow down around him and he just dictates play. He's going to land at SF (the talk of him as a PF is misguided IMO due to his relatively small wingspan).

Strong handles, phenomenal passer, good jumpshot and can finish at the rim.
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#9 » by Rastas » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:35 pm

His ability to fluidly finish left or right equally at the rim is his greatest asset, followed by his excellent basketball IQ.
Very much a cant miss player and at 6-10 and probably over 250lbs by the time he enters NBA, he wont look like no ordinary rookie.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#10 » by EMG518 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:27 pm

I dont see as many teams tanking next year or it being the kind of draft worth tanking for. Yea you could get a top pick and get Simmons or Skal or somebody but to intentionally put yourself in place to be that bad, only teams I see doing that are the 76ers and Twolves.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,517

Post#11 » by 165bows » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:28 pm

LofJ wrote:The Knicks can't tank and the Lakers will only keep their pick if they get lucky in the lottery again, so neither can tank. The Nuggets are a safe bet to tank for the 2016 draft. And if Dallas, Portland, or Boston completely strike out in free agency I think any of those three could go for a rebuild year. I think the Celtics are especially likely to go for that. So I'd say look for Denver, Minnesota, Boston, Philadelphia, any maybe Portland/Dallas to be in contention to draft in the top 5.

Very unlikely the Celtics tank. They dumped vets to start the year, but they didn't even tank the end of this past year.

On 2016, I've seen a couple of notes that it may not be as thin as it has been made out to be.

Here's from Ed Isaacson:

Ed Isaacson ‏@nbadraftblog Jun 10

Also, as a I start putting together my info on next year’s potential class, it will end up being much stronger than many think.

Much like this year, the strength will come outside of top prospects, and there will be some nice surprises. Agents will need to be ready

Sounds like Skal, Simmons, Bender maybe Brown at the top to start. Celtics have tons of picks so I will be keeping an eye out.
grubs10
Ballboy
And1: 19

Post#12 » by grubs10 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:59 am

Any one else super intrigued by Ray Smith? from what i have seen he looks like he has all the potential of a long two at the nba levels. Looks comfortable handling the ball, a good looking stroke, and pretty good body control and athleticism (IMO). Looks decently long and everywhere i read has him around 6'7.

Was rising pretty fast up the boards before he got hurt. On his way to Zona. I would love to hear more about him if anyone has any opinions but to me he seems like the perfect recipe for a possible riser.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#13 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:33 am

165bows wrote:
LofJ wrote:The Knicks can't tank and the Lakers will only keep their pick if they get lucky in the lottery again, so neither can tank. The Nuggets are a safe bet to tank for the 2016 draft. And if Dallas, Portland, or Boston completely strike out in free agency I think any of those three could go for a rebuild year. I think the Celtics are especially likely to go for that. So I'd say look for Denver, Minnesota, Boston, Philadelphia, any maybe Portland/Dallas to be in contention to draft in the top 5.

Very unlikely the Celtics tank. They dumped vets to start the year, but they didn't even tank the end of this past year.

On 2016, I've seen a couple of notes that it may not be as thin as it has been made out to be.

Here's from Ed Isaacson:

Also, as a I start putting together my info on next year’s potential class, it will end up being much stronger than many think.

Much like this year, the strength will come outside of top prospects, and there will be some nice surprises. Agents will need to be ready

Sounds like Skal, Simmons, Bender maybe Brown at the top to start. Celtics have tons of picks so I will be keeping an eye out.

I didn't like next years class, but I'm starting to turn it around. I think there are some interesting prospects at the top.

And yeah, Celtics aren't tanking. If they're one of the worst teams it's because they dun goof'd.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#14 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:15 pm

165bows wrote:

Here's from Ed Isaacson:

Celts should clean up nice next year.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:20 pm

grubs10 wrote:Any one else super intrigued by Ray Smith? from what i have seen he looks like he has all the potential of a long two at the nba levels. Looks comfortable handling the ball, a good looking stroke, and pretty good body control and athleticism (IMO). Looks decently long and everywhere i read has him around 6'7.

Was rising pretty fast up the boards before he got hurt. On his way to Zona. I would love to hear more about him if anyone has any opinions but to me he seems like the perfect recipe for a possible riser.

Ray is a favorite of mines. A kid i think was headed to be in the running for a top wing spot, love his potential and developing skillset. definitely a sleeper if he can bounce back from his injury and be 100% percent. I would say he'll be more impressive than Trier this year. I definitely think right now he's the better NBA prospect.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,517

Post#16 » by 165bows » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Marcus wrote:
165bows wrote:

Here's from Ed Isaacson:

Celts should clean up nice next year.

I'll be a Milwaukee fan this summer lol.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#17 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:52 pm

jpengland wrote:
bigboi wrote:

A stiff? GTFO.

The guy has a great feel for the game, is fluid and strong. The game seems to slow down around him and he just dictates play. He's going to land at SF (the talk of him as a PF is misguided IMO due to his relatively small wingspan).

Don't know much about this guy, you agree that he's the best prospect since Lebron?

Would Ben Simmons go #1 over Blake Griffin if they were in the same draft?
Go_Hornets
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#18 » by Go_Hornets » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:14 pm

Skal is the best prospect for the 2016 draft right now imo.

I think Brandon Ingram has the highest ceiling in the class, but he needs to get a lot stronger.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#19 » by jpengland » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
jpengland wrote:
bigboi wrote:

A stiff? GTFO.

Don't know much about this guy, you agree that he's the best prospect since Lebron?

Would Ben Simmons go #1 over Blake Griffin if they were in the same draft?

I think he is more sure fire, yes.

Barring serious injury there is no way he isn't a multiple all-star.

He's a 6'10 Brandon Roy.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:57 pm

I need Ben's jumper to improve. He's clearly been too advance for HS ball for a couple years now. I think his game translates to the college level. How well is the question.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft