NBA Comparisons for Draft Prospects

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ProfessorSnap
Ballboy
And1: 12

NBA Comparisons for Draft Prospects 

Post#1 » by ProfessorSnap » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:37 am

Kind of curious on who you consider comparisons for this year's draft prospects. I know last year there were some great comparisons for guys like Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, etc.

I'll start the conversation with Justise Winslow is a poor man's Jimmy Butler and Leonard!
Probably the next one would be Kristaps Porzingis as Darko Millicic
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Re: NBA Comparisons for Draft Prospects 

Post#2 » by Killboard » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:36 am

Russell compares very good to Curry freshman year.
Mudiay seems like tyreke but without tunnel vision.
WCS is more athletic than Chandler in his first years in the league.

Okafor is right between Cousins and Al Jefferson.

Towns seems like more strong and better passer version of Lamarcus Aldridge, with less mid range game at this point.

Stanley Johnson its build like Ron Artest.
rumdiary
Starter
And1: 775

Post#3 » by rumdiary » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:32 am

Mario Hezonja = Ben McLemore

Nice shot, bad handle, good hops, questionable attitude, high upside, low downside.

Hooray I broke the white guy = white guy comparison cliche.
rudyrudy
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#4 » by rudyrudy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Jerian Grant = Mike Conley with better size. Hope C's can get him at 16.

Mudiay = Close to Westbrook, I expect similar numbers for his rookie year. ( 15-5-5 with %40 fg)
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#5 » by Von Bismarck » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:45 pm

rumdiary wrote:Mario Hezonja = Ben McLemore

Nice shot, bad handle, good hops, questionable attitude, high upside, low downside.

His handle is not bad at all, mediocre yes - bad certainly not. However, that's something you can always improve. About attitude, that's a myth that became truth because people keep repeating it. He's quite a nice guy, never had any issues with his teammates, never provoked his opponents or anything like that. Kid just wants to play basketball and has doesn't like to lose. I don't see anything wrong with that.

He's also 3 inches taller than Ben and will play SF in the NBA.

I would say Mario will be more of a Gallinari type of player, just not as injury prone as Gallo.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#6 » by jpatrick » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm going to get crushed for this, but I'll say Porzingis will effect the game similarly to Ibaka.

While he's not nearly the athlete Ibaka is, I think he'll measure out longer making up for his lesser athletic ability (he's still a good athlete though). He'll provide floor spacing, a much better shooter than Ibaka coming into the league, and weakside shot blocking, although probably struggle with man-to-man defense until he packs on another 15-20 pounds. Remember, the last time he played against people his own age, at the Euro U18 tournament, he set the tournament record with 5 blocks per game. For perspective, Jonas V in his last U18 tournament only averaged about 2.5 blocks/gm.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#7 » by Marcus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:14 pm

jpatrick wrote:I'm going to get crushed for this, but I'll say Porzingis will effect the game similarly to Ibaka.

While he's not nearly the athlete Ibaka is, I think he'll measure out longer making up for his lesser athletic ability (he's still a good athlete though). He'll provide floor spacing, a much better shooter than Ibaka coming into the league, and weakside shot blocking, although probably struggle with man-to-man defense until he packs on another 15-20 pounds. Remember, the last time he played against people his own age, at the Euro U18 tournament, he set the tournament record with 5 blocks per game. For perspective, Jonas V in his last U18 tournament only averaged about 2.5 blocks/gm.

i get what you're saying bro. I haven't seen enough of Porgi to say how accurate that is but i understand where you're coming from. From the little i have seen and reports i've read that does sound like something within his wheel house. Stretch 4 with good helpside shot blocking due to length and athleticism. Whether its to the same degree as an Ibaka we won't know until his' on the court but at the root of what Serge does for OKC I get where you're coming from.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ProfessorSnap
Ballboy

Post#8 » by ProfessorSnap » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:59 pm

jpatrick wrote:I'm going to get crushed for this, but I'll say Porzingis will effect the game similarly to Ibaka.

I'm just scared he might turn into this year's Millicic. Different builds I know, but the thing about drafting overseas prospects, its hard to gauge whether or not they can withstand NBA basketball. With that said, NBA scouts drool over wingspans and such. But i do not see him going into the top 5 baring any exciting stuff at the draft combine.
What do you think about Mudiay though? I have only seen videos from BBallbreakdown but other than that he's under the radar. Hopefully his game translates to the NBA, not sure if i want the lakers to take him if he falls to 4th or 5th.
ProfessorSnap
Ballboy

Post#9 » by ProfessorSnap » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:03 pm

rudyrudy wrote:Jerian Grant = Mike Conley with better size. Hope C's can get him at 16.

Mudiay = Close to Westbrook, I expect similar numbers for his rookie year. ( 15-5-5 with %40 fg)

Honestly, i am a Lakers fan but the celtics need to package the pick and all of their other picks for Demarcus Cousins!
They're about one good centerpiece away from having a top tier team in the East. Although, picking from the 16th i agree with you on Jerian Grant. The celtics lacked playmakers besides Isaiah Thomas and Evan Turner was obsolete at times. Jerian Grant reminds me of a darren collision kind of though. Just bigger.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,105

Post#10 » by JDR720 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:50 pm

Stanley Johnson: Luol Deng
Jahlil Okafor: Al Jefferson
Devin Booker: JJ Redick
rumdiary
Starter

Post#11 » by rumdiary » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:00 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:

His handle is not bad at all, mediocre yes - bad certainly not.

3:25

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6QTlFFaiL0[/youtube]
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#12 » by 165bows » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:04 pm

I'm going to throw this one out there:
Bobby Portis = Poor man's Al Horford
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Marcus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 pm

ProfessorSnap wrote:

I'm just scared he might turn into this year's Millicic. Different builds I know, but the thing about drafting overseas prospects, its hard to gauge whether or not they can withstand NBA basketball. With that said, NBA scouts drool over wingspans and such. But i do not see him going into the top 5 baring any exciting stuff at the draft combine.
What do you think about Mudiay though? I have only seen videos from BBallbreakdown but other than that he's under the radar. Hopefully his game translates to the NBA, not sure if i want the lakers to take him if he falls to 4th or 5th.

wouldn't call Manny "under the radar" he's been heavy on scouts list for a couple years now. has always been mocked in the top 5 and would have had all eyes on him at SMU. Folks are plenty aware of Manny. he's be a solid get for the Lakers around 4 or 5. Good starting point going forward once Kobe hangs it up. Thought the Lakers were heavy on the Rondo train though. i wouldn't go that route if that's the case. If you're not getting one of the bigs or D'Angelo and Manny is BPA then I can see it. Would make LA pretty guard heavy and open up for a running offense with the youth that's there.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#14 » by Von Bismarck » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:51 pm

rumdiary wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:

So now I should link you with 5-10 video inserts where his handling was good, right?
ProfessorSnap
Ballboy

Post#15 » by ProfessorSnap » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Marcus wrote:
ProfessorSnap wrote:

wouldn't call Manny "under the radar" he's been heavy on scouts list for a couple years now. has always been mocked in the top 5 and would have had all eyes on him at SMU. Folks are plenty aware of Manny. he's be a solid get for the Lakers around 4 or 5. Good starting point going forward once Kobe hangs it up. Thought the Lakers were heavy on the Rondo train though. i wouldn't go that route if that's the case. If you're not getting one of the bigs or D'Angelo and Manny is BPA then I can see it. Would make LA pretty guard heavy and open up for a running offense with the youth that's there.

See the thing is, he doesn't have a consistent jump shot. Hopefully right now he is training as we speak, It would suck if he turns into Russell Westbrook 2.0 though. I'm a little torn on it still but we will find out after the lottery and the combine for sure. And about Rondo, i do not want the lakers to pick him up, but i have a feeling they will be desperate for a household name despite his ability to play. He is no way coming for 10 million for sure. I only would give him 10 million for 2 years basically.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by Marcus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:28 pm

ProfessorSnap wrote:
Marcus wrote:
ProfessorSnap wrote:

See the thing is, he doesn't have a consistent jump shot. Hopefully right now he is training as we speak, It would suck if he turns into Russell Westbrook 2.0 though. I'm a little torn on it still but we will find out after the lottery and the combine for sure. And about Rondo, i do not want the lakers to pick him up, but i have a feeling they will be desperate for a household name despite his ability to play. He is no way coming for 10 million for sure. I only would give him 10 million for 2 years basically.

yeah that J is holding Manny back. His PnR should open up some passing though and his pullup isn't horrid so he should still be AT LEAST serviceable in the half court until his range comes along while being a terror in the open floor.

I don't think he's going to be Westbrook 2.0 though. Russy is a physical monster for sure but his mentality and break neck pace is what makes him as dangerous as he is. Manny isn't as explosive as Russ and more than likely won't play as hard (that's a not a knock, there might not be ANYBODY that plays as hard as Russ) i do think he's a good building block next to Clarkson with Kobe playing some 3 if you go small.

I don't think Rondo would be a horrible fit since he plays much better with talent around him and should be able to get Kobe some looks and since Mamba plays very well with other high IQ players. Problem with Rondo is he adds on and compounds the shooting and spacing issue you guys have. Manny wouldn't necessarily improve that either. If you guys aren't running and playing halfsies then it might be a problem over long stretches.
Watch More Basketball

rumdiary
Starter

Post#17 » by rumdiary » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:49 pm

Von Bismarck wrote:
rumdiary wrote:
Von Bismarck wrote:

So now I should link you with 5-10 video inserts where his handling was good, right?

I dunno I was just linking. Mediocre probably sums it up so you hit the nail on the head.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#18 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:51 pm

How about Jason Richardson for Hezonja?
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#19 » by jpatrick » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:43 am

How about "Thunder" Dan Majerle for an older comp for Hezonja? I think Hezonja's jumper is purer than Richardson coming into the league.
ProfessorSnap
Ballboy

Post#20 » by ProfessorSnap » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:33 am

Marcus wrote:
ProfessorSnap wrote:
Marcus wrote:

yeah that J is holding Manny back. His PnR should open up some passing though and his pullup isn't horrid so he should still be AT LEAST serviceable in the half court until his range comes along while being a terror in the open floor.

I don't think he's going to be Westbrook 2.0 though. Russy is a physical monster for sure but his mentality and break neck pace is what makes him as dangerous as he is. Manny isn't as explosive as Russ and more than likely won't play as hard (that's a not a knock, there might not be ANYBODY that plays as hard as Russ) i do think he's a good building block next to Clarkson with Kobe playing some 3 if you go small.

I don't think Rondo would be a horrible fit since he plays much better with talent around him and should be able to get Kobe some looks and since Mamba plays very well with other high IQ players. Problem with Rondo is he adds on and compounds the shooting and spacing issue you guys have. Manny wouldn't necessarily improve that either. If you guys aren't running and playing halfsies then it might be a problem over long stretches.

Well it is Byron Scott so half court offense it is. However, towards the last half of the year the Lakers started running a fast paced offense that benefited Lin and Clarkson. The roster definitely needs athletic wings who can shoot the ball.
In other prospect news,
I can't seem to have a comparison for Karl Towns. He is so unique in terms of ability and wingspan. No one comes to mind.

Return to NBA Draft