Am I the only guy who as serious questions about Okafor?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Am I the only guy who as serious questions about Okafor? 

Post#41 » by Illmatic12 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:32 pm

DickGrayson wrote:I have many serious questions about Okafor, since October of 2014. From the DraftExpress scouting, his inside scoring is one of the best we've seen in NCAA history. Beyond that, it's questionable how Okafor will fit for some teams considering his lack of defense(anyone who has told you Okafor is a good defender is full of it), rebounding and shooting.

Struggles on defense due to
-Effort
-Toughness
-Athleticism
-Awareness

-Gives up deep position too easily vs post ups. Not overly physical
- 1.9 BLKS per 40 pace ranks Okafor 2nd to last amongst top 100 center prospects on Draft Express. NBA is full of rim protecting Cs.
- Rarely bodies up his man
- Plays 1-2 feet away from his opponent
- Very slow at contesting shots
- Doesn't jump straight up and tries to bother his defender. Okafor jumps away from his opponent and tries to use his length for blocks.
- Watch the ball too often, loses his man. Poor reaction time
-Gets burned in the P/R too often. Uncomfortable away from the basket.
-Jogs back on D.
- Doesn't offer rim protection in the half court.
- mobile on offense but doesnt have a quick twitch defensively to keep up NCAA guards. NBA will probably be a nightmare.
- Drops back on defense similar to Amare Stoudemire. Gives a lot of room for guards to operate to take a free mid range jumper
- Struggles against shooting big especially in pick and pop situations.
- Okafor has been lazy on getting back on defense. Ever since High School. Conditioning was a problem, but it's more mental.

"Okafor was giving up an adjusted field goal percentage of 44.6 percent to his opponents and ranked in the lower 70 percent of college basketball in isolation defense. That is a glaring statistic. How is he going to be able to defend elite NBA bigs if he can’t stop a Kinesiology major from Virginia Tech? His foot quickness and overall explosiveness are not going to be what Okafor hangs his hat on." - David Nurse

His motor is what kills him, he gives up or is lackadaisical on D. in the pace of the NBA, Okafor has to deal with blazing quick and powerful athletes, getting beat won't be good for his will power. I am highly concerned and consider Okafor extremely soft.

Okafor's rebounding is also a concern consider his defense rebounding is below average.
6.5 D-REBS per 40 pace ranks 15th out of 17th amongst centers in this draft class

Shooting....he seems to suffer from Rondo disease. big hands long wing span, can't hit FTs or be a threat from the elbow.

How do you fit pieces around a center who doesn't rebound on defense or protect the rim? Not every team in the NBA has Serge Ibaka.

These are serious questions to ask, even if you're a Jahlil Okafor fanatic. You can't answer everything with "Well Okafor has once in a century type offense, generational big man who's a combination of Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan and his scoring will outweigh his weaknesses, he will out score everyone and thats all that matters"

This is exactly what people said about Cousins defense coming out of college. Everything word for word. "Lazy on defense, lacks focus/awareness, poor motor" etc etc

Okafor cruised to a championship at the college level and was the best player on his team, obviously he was not in a position where he was being challenged to step up on the defensive end. Things change when players get to the NBA and are challenged on a regular basis and realize the effort needed to compete on defense.

Just like Cousins, Okafor has the tools to be a good defender and I don't see why he can't be after a few years. He's known to have better work ethic and is more coachable than Cousins as well, it probably won't even take him as long to improve.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#42 » by KF10 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:48 am

The thing about Cousins is that he has very good positioning when it comes to altering shots. But moreso, his ability to take charges. Majority of his NBA career, he is at or at the very least, close to the top in terms of charges drawn. I don't see anything from Okafor that he can replicate this aspect of the game like Cousins did.

Cousins is a lot more mobile and is quicker on his feet than Okafor. If people consider Cousins a "below the rim" athlete, well them, Okafor is "below the net" athlete. That will limit Okafor's defensive potential.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#43 » by Marcus » Tue May 26, 2015 2:55 am

KF10 wrote:The thing about Cousins is that he has very good positioning when it comes to altering shots. But moreso, his ability to take charges. Majority of his NBA career, he is at or at the very least, close to the top in terms of charges drawn. I don't see anything from Okafor that he can replicate this aspect of the game like Cousins did.

Cousins is a lot more mobile and is quicker on his feet than Okafor. If people consider Cousins a "below the rim" athlete, well them, Okafor is "below the net" athlete. That will limit Okafor's defensive potential.

you talking Rookie Boogie or current Boogie?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#44 » by Notanoob » Tue May 26, 2015 3:10 am

Illmatic12 wrote:This is exactly what people said about Cousins defense coming out of college. Everything word for word. "Lazy on defense, lacks focus/awareness, poor motor" etc etc

Okafor cruised to a championship at the college level and was the best player on his team, obviously he was not in a position where he was being challenged to step up on the defensive end. Things change when players get to the NBA and are challenged on a regular basis and realize the effort needed to compete on defense.

Just like Cousins, Okafor has the tools to be a good defender and I don't see why he can't be after a few years. He's known to have better work ethic and is more coachable than Cousins as well, it probably won't even take him as long to improve.

Cousins is a better athlete than Okafor, much more mobile, and the stats aren't remotely similar.
Cousins: 7.5 offensive rebounds, 9.3 defensive rebounds, 1.6 steals, 2.9 blocks
Okafor: 4.5 offensive rebounds, 6.4 defensive rebounds, 1 steals, 1.8 blocks

They aren't even close as prospects. Cousins' "lazy" production was miles ahead of Okafor's.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#45 » by KF10 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 am

Marcus wrote:
KF10 wrote:The thing about Cousins is that he has very good positioning when it comes to altering shots. But moreso, his ability to take charges. Majority of his NBA career, he is at or at the very least, close to the top in terms of charges drawn. I don't see anything from Okafor that he can replicate this aspect of the game like Cousins did.

post-rookie Cousins. By the time of his 2nd year, Cousins has been showing signs as a plus defender.

I don't see anything indicative that Okafor becomes the caliber of defender as Boogie. Dude is closer to a Monroe/Lopez level-defender.

Cousins' effort, athleticism & awareness on defense is MILES ahead of Okafor, post-rookie Boogie era.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#46 » by Marcus » Tue May 26, 2015 3:41 am

KF10 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

post-rookie Cousins. By the time of his 2nd year, Cousins has been showing signs as a plus defender.

I don't see anything indicative that Okafor becomes the caliber of defender as Boogie. Dude is closer to a Monroe/Lopez level-defender.

Cousins' effort, athleticism & awareness on defense is MILES ahead of Okafor, post-rookie Boogie era.

didn't see a TON of Boogie at UK and what I did see wasn't watched with the same scrutiny that I currently exercise when watching prospects. With you being a Kings fan I would assume you watch him closer than the casual fan that might not be as aware of what's happening outside their local or favorite team. How big of a defensive improvement would you say Boogie has made form then to now?

and to swing it back to the topic at hand. what would you say is Jah's biggest setback on that end of the floor outside of the athleticism you mentioned earlier?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#47 » by DickGrayson » Tue May 26, 2015 3:43 am

Illmatic12 wrote:
DickGrayson wrote:I have many serious questions about Okafor, since October of 2014. From the DraftExpress scouting, his inside scoring is one of the best we've seen in NCAA history. Beyond that, it's questionable how Okafor will fit for some teams considering his lack of defense(anyone who has told you Okafor is a good defender is full of it), rebounding and shooting.

-Effort
-Toughness
-Athleticism
-Awareness

- 1.9 BLKS per 40 pace ranks Okafor 2nd to last amongst top 100 center prospects on Draft Express. NBA is full of rim protecting Cs.
- Doesn't jump straight up and tries to bother his defender. Okafor jumps away from his opponent and tries to use his length for blocks.
-Jogs back on D.
- mobile on offense but doesnt have a quick twitch defensively to keep up NCAA guards. NBA will probably be a nightmare.
- Drops back on defense similar to Amare Stoudemire. Gives a lot of room for guards to operate to take a free mid range jumper
- Okafor has been lazy on getting back on defense. Ever since High School. Conditioning was a problem, but it's more mental.

"Okafor was giving up an adjusted field goal percentage of 44.6 percent to his opponents and ranked in the lower 70 percent of college basketball in isolation defense. That is a glaring statistic. How is he going to be able to defend elite NBA bigs if he can’t stop a Kinesiology major from Virginia Tech? His foot quickness and overall explosiveness are not going to be what Okafor hangs his hat on." - David Nurse

His motor is what kills him, he gives up or is lackadaisical on D. in the pace of the NBA, Okafor has to deal with blazing quick and powerful athletes, getting beat won't be good for his will power. I am highly concerned and consider Okafor extremely soft.

Okafor's rebounding is also a concern consider his defense rebounding is below average.
6.5 D-REBS per 40 pace ranks 15th out of 17th amongst centers in this draft class

Shooting....he seems to suffer from Rondo disease. big hands long wing span, can't hit FTs or be a threat from the elbow.

How do you fit pieces around a center who doesn't rebound on defense or protect the rim? Not every team in the NBA has Serge Ibaka.

These are serious questions to ask, even if you're a Jahlil Okafor fanatic. You can't answer everything with "Well Okafor has once in a century type offense, generational big man who's a combination of Shaq/Hakeem/Duncan and his scoring will outweigh his weaknesses, he will out score everyone and thats all that matters"

This is exactly what people said about Cousins defense coming out of college. Everything word for word. "Lazy on defense, lacks focus/awareness, poor motor" etc etc

Cousins totally different player/prospect than Okafor. They're not even similar. Cousins actually boxes out and grabs rebounds, can step outside for a jumper and can run the floor. A lot more nimble on his feet and agile.
dham1974
Assistant Coach
And1: 65

Post#48 » by dham1974 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:09 am

DickGrayson wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

-Effort
-Toughness
-Athleticism
-Awareness

-Jogs back on D.

Cousins totally different player/prospect than Okafor. They're not even similar. Cousins actually boxes out and grabs rebounds, can step outside for a jumper and can run the floor. A lot more nimble on his feet and agile.

Cousins 15ppg 9.8rpg 1.7apg 1.8bpg 55fg% 60%ft

Okafor 17ppg 8.5rpg 1.3apg 1.4bpg 66%fg 51%ft

Cousins
Strengths: An extremely strong player, his body is well developed and has a remarkable wingspan to boot … At this level, once he catches the ball on the block there is not much the defense can do because he is so big … He has very soft hands, helping him catch passes in traffic, as well as convert on difficult shots around the hoop … For a player his size, he has good coordination and balance … He never rushes his moves and is always under control … At times his post moves may not look pretty, but you can’t argue with the results … He has confidence in his ball handling and is not shy about pushing the ball in transition …Although his shot is a bit flat , his form is decent and he is more than capable of stepping out beyond the arc and knocking shots down …

Okafor
Strengths: Big, powerful body with huge hands, palms the ball easily which allows him to control rebounds in traffic ... Polished, skilled back to the basket scorer with a variety of moves ... Smooth for his size, solid rebounder, very good IQ, plays to his strengths, knows his limitations and doesn't try to do things that he can't do ... NBA body and strength, quick feet for a player with such a big frame ... Has great moves and counters, the footwork of an NBA vet, soft touch around basket ... Heady passer out of double teams ... Understands how to establish position and knows how to use his body, never rushes his move and plays with great pace and patience ... savvy beyond his years for a young post player, rebounds his area

Cousins as a senior in high school https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyoaxVct1vM

Okafor as a senior in high school https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=76&v=ZOdv6nhrn68

If you ask me he's coming in as a more polished player than Cousins was. There's similarities between the players But Cousins a better rebounder while Okafor was better scorer. Both use their bodies well and both are capable of driving to the basket or hitting open jumpers. I don't see why Okafor can't come into the league and improve his defense
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#49 » by jmnvcavs » Tue May 26, 2015 5:42 am

Since when do you need tons of athleticism to be a good interior defender in the NBA?
theonlyclutch
Veteran
And1: 3,562

Post#50 » by theonlyclutch » Tue May 26, 2015 5:44 am

dham1974 wrote:

Cousins was doing it in 23mpg compared to 30mpg of Okafor

Pace-adjusted per 40:

Cousins: 26.1/16.4/1.6/2.9 :o
Okafor: 22.0/10.9/1.6/1.8

That's a big, big difference in rebounding and defense numbers.
theonlyclutch's AT FGA-limited team - The Malevolent Eight

PG: 2008 Chauncey Billups/ 2013 Kyle Lowry
SG: 2005 Manu Ginobili/2012 James Harden
SF: 1982 Julius Erving
PF: 2013 Matt Bonner/ 2010 Amir Johnson
C: 1977 Kareem Abdul Jabaar
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#51 » by KF10 » Tue May 26, 2015 5:58 am

Marcus wrote:
KF10 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

didn't see a TON of Boogie at UK and what I did see wasn't watched with the same scrutiny that I currently exercise when watching prospects. With you being a Kings fan I would assume you watch him closer than the casual fan that might not be as aware of what's happening outside their local or favorite team. How big of a defensive improvement would you say Boogie has made form then to now?

and to swing it back to the topic at hand. what would you say is Jah's biggest setback on that end of the floor outside of the athleticism you mentioned earlier?

It's almost night and day difference. I mean, if you look at his numbers i.e. DPM, RPM, on/off etc etc, his defensive numbers are almost at the top of the league. And the scary part is, he is still learning and getting better and better each season. His rim protection abilities are superb. With Malone, he was holding players at a low-40%s FG at the rim. That's elite. Cousins' defensive effort (along with other Kings players) dropped off when they fired coach Malone in favor for Ty Corbin lol Last time I checked, Cousins' opponent FG% at rim is 47%, which is still pretty damn good itself. His timing and awareness on altering shots as been improved greatly too.

He lead the league in charges drawn last year with 34 in 59 games. The next guy? 29 charges drawn in 76 games. It's not even close.

I think Okafor's main issue on defense other than athleticism is his lack of awareness and instincts for it. Right now, he's a terrible defensive player. Sure, by nature of his body measurements, he will block some shots and clog the paint but he strikes me as a player that rather expends most of his energy & effort on offense than playing good tough-nosed defense, imo. That's my biggest gripe about him.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#52 » by KF10 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:04 am

theonlyclutch wrote:
dham1974 wrote:

Pace-adjusted per 40:

I was just about to point that out!

But to be fair, back then, his conditioning and foul rate were the main reasons why Cousins played in the low-20s min/gm.

It's still a problem today..not the conditioning but his foul rate is still somewhat of an issue.

If you look at his per-36 numbers with George Karl as the coach:

26.8 ppg / 14.4 rpg / 4.4 apg / 1.9 spg / 2.0 bpg
dham1974
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by dham1974 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:09 am

theonlyclutch wrote:
dham1974 wrote:

Pace-adjusted per 40:

the problem with Per 40 numbers is no one can say they'll have the energy to keep that pace but lets say they could Cousins was avging over 3 fouls in 23 mins do you really think he would have been able to stay on the floor for 40 and stay aggressive? Yes he's a better Rebounder at that age but scorer? no I disagree
dham1974
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by dham1974 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:13 am

KF10 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
KF10 wrote:

It's almost night and day difference. I mean, if you look at his numbers i.e. DPM, RPM, on/off etc etc, his defensive numbers are almost at the top of the league. And the scary part is, he is still learning and getting better and better each season. His rim protection abilities are superb. With Malone, he was holding players at a low-40%s FG at the rim. That's elite. Cousins' defensive effort (along with other Kings players) dropped off when they fired coach Malone in favor for Ty Corbin lol Last time I checked, Cousins' opponent FG% at rim is 47%, which is still pretty damn good itself. His timing and awareness on altering shots as been improved greatly too.

He lead the league in charges drawn last year with 34 in 59 games. The next guy? 29 charges drawn in 76 games. It's not even close.

I think Okafor's main issue on defense other than athleticism is his lack of awareness and instincts for it. Right now, he's a terrible defensive player. Sure, by nature of his body measurements, he will block some shots and clog the paint but he strikes me as a player that rather expends most of his energy & effort on offense than playing good tough-nosed defense, imo. That's my biggest gripe about him.

I can't say I disagree with this post. Cousins is a great big man possibly the best or top 3 now. His only issue from what I hear is him being uncoachable.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#55 » by KF10 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:23 am

dham1974 wrote:I can't say I disagree with this post. Cousins is a great big man possibly the best or top 3 now. His only issue from what I hear is him being uncoachable.

Paul Westphal
Keith Smart
Mike Malone
Ty Corbin
George Karl

3 out of the 5 coaches were downright terrible.

Cousins & Malone had great relationship & it's remains to be seen if Karl & Cousins would fit. As of right now, it is neutral from both sides.

When there is structure and stability, Cousins thrives. If guys like Thibodeau, Coach K & Colangelo has Cousins "a-ok" in their books, that's good enough for me. You have to remember that Cousins came off the bench for Team USA and letting a guy like Kenneth Faried to start over him. And yet, there was no negative peep from Cousins. Instead, he's the first guy off the bench and cheering his teammates on. Reversely, it's the same. Whenever Cousins does something on the court, his teammates are cheering and supporting him back. The whole "Cousins is a bad teammate or he is uncoachable" is completely overblown. Also, remember, at the start of last season, when coach Malone wasn't fired, Cousins was getting recognition & praise from the national media for his play on the court AND his ability to turn his passion/ultra-competitiveness into positive play. And after that, Cousins got the rug pulled underneath from him and Kings fired Malone and installed Ty Corbin as their head coach.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#56 » by Killboard » Tue May 26, 2015 7:29 am

theonlyclutch wrote:
dham1974 wrote:

Pace-adjusted per 40:

Cousins blowns okafor on rebounds & blocks, and he has a good elbow jumper too.

Furthermore, okafor scored 24 or more points in 8 games this college season.
Between all those teams, only 13 players were 6'8 or taller. Each one of them averaged 20mpg.

I think he will have hard time trying to score over Nba size, he will be good but not efficient like he was at duke.

If you make him a 55% FG shooter, he dont have any range or FT%, and is below average in defense, I dont know if he is a top3 pick.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,649

Post#57 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 26, 2015 7:55 am

Cousins used to be in a ton of foul trouble in college. I feel like some of you are nitpicking just to nitpick. Okafor doesn't have to be as good as Cousins to be all-star player or a game-changer. Okafor either joins a 'Sota roster with a blossoming Wiggins or a Lakers roster where you know they will spend the money to get free agents to let him grow organically.

Dude is really in a can't lose situation, as long as his work-ethic isn't Hasheem Thabeet.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#58 » by 903124 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:14 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:This is exactly what people said about Cousins defense coming out of college. Everything word for word. "Lazy on defense, lacks focus/awareness, poor motor" etc etc

Cousins is quite athletic when comparing to Okafor. Remember the time when he posterize Mason Plumlee?
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#59 » by 903124 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Cousins used to be in a ton of foul trouble in college. I feel like some of you are nitpicking just to nitpick. Okafor doesn't have to be as good as Cousins to be all-star player or a game-changer. Okafor either joins a 'Sota roster with a blossoming Wiggins or a Lakers roster where you know they will spend the money to get free agents to let him grow organically.

Dude is really in a can't lose situation, as long as his work-ethic isn't Hasheem Thabeet.

For the second pick of the draft I would like to pick a game-changer or an all-star really. It is not nitpick on Okafor as every team hope to get a franchise player at the range. Okafor will be good in NBA, but how good he will be determine whether he will be picked by Lakers.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#60 » by Illmatic12 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:39 pm

Notanoob wrote:

Cousins is a better athlete than Okafor, much more mobile, and the stats aren't remotely similar.
Cousins: 7.5 offensive rebounds, 9.3 defensive rebounds, 1.6 steals, 2.9 blocks
Okafor: 4.5 offensive rebounds, 6.4 defensive rebounds, 1 steals, 1.8 blocks

They aren't even close as prospects. Cousins' "lazy" production was miles ahead of Okafor's.

? He doesn't have to be as good as Cousins to be a great prospect.

Cousins is actually one of the best defensive anchors in the league right now. Okafor won't get to that level but from where he's staring, he can most certainly get to an 'above average' mark on the defensive end.

Once he loses weight and puts in the training, I don't see why Okafor can't improve defensively to where he's at least a net positive.

Return to NBA Draft