Looney or lyles who will be the better pro?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

bigbucksfan1234
Senior
And1: 187

Looney or lyles who will be the better pro? 

Post#1 » by bigbucksfan1234 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:38 am

Im going with looney on this one I thinks the better shooter, ball handler, rebounder, and defender.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,462

Re: Looney or lyles who will be the better pro? 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:35 am

Funny you ask...we were just kind of talking about that on the Suns forum. It's likely if Kaminsky and Turner are gone they take one of those two or Portis or possibly Booker.

I think it kind of depends on your roster. If you have a ton of outside shooting, Lyles might be better. If you need a guy who can maybe stretch with more range, possibly Looney.

The thing about Lyles is, he didn't get the playing time that Looney did. Looney seems to be a very good rebounder and a smart player, but Lyles seems like a great post player with a great mid and short range game, but in this day and age, if you don't have a bunch of shooters it might be tough to go with Lyles. Also, Looney is a bit more of a tweener.

I'd probably be fairly happy with either as a Suns fan and would rather take one of them than a SG.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#3 » by Upperclass » Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 am

Lyles looks like Shareef Abdur-Rahim to me. I think he's the better pro. Looney reminds me of Speights.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#4 » by Marcus » Thu May 28, 2015 10:18 pm

i'd say Lyles. wasn't overly impressed with Looney when i saw him this past season. Word is there's a lot more to his game than what he got to show and he should be able to get off more in the pro setting so we'll see.

Lyles i know has more to his game and should be able to show more.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
bigbucksfan1234
Senior
And1: 187

Re: Re: Looney or lyles who will be the better pro? 

Post#5 » by bigbucksfan1234 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:46 am

Upperclass wrote:Lyles looks like Shareef Abdur-Rahim to me. I think he's the better pro. Looney reminds me of Speights.

Terrible comparison
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#6 » by EMG518 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:53 am

Lyles
JDizzel3000
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#7 » by JDizzel3000 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:54 am

Ill go with lyles ..smooth big man with a soft touch ..took too many 3s last year because he had to play out of position at SF ..will be able to show off his post skills and fluidity in the leauge
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#8 » by Upperclass » Fri May 29, 2015 3:21 am

Yeah.. Wasn't one of my best. Wanted to say Lyle's reminded me so much of Shawn Marion on that UK squad.. Pretty fast for a big dude, not afraid to mix it up, jack of all trades. Not a huge leaper or a quick one, but has some bounciness to his game. But the raw athleticism difference is huge between Marion and lyles
TripleA1
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#9 » by TripleA1 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:48 am

Looney to me is better look at tristan thompson a raw power forward his rebounding translated well so I think the same for looney. I don't see anything Lyles does well.
djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#10 » by djphan » Fri May 29, 2015 3:51 am

looney... i don't really like him much but he's miles ahead of where lyles is now...
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#11 » by DickGrayson » Fri May 29, 2015 4:05 am

Lyles is really underrated, he's good enough to be a top 8 player in this draft. Not sure if I can say the same about Looney.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 29, 2015 5:24 am

I'm not a fan of Trey Lyles right now. I think he's positionless in the NBA and needs to work on most aspects of his game. Reminds me of Austin Daye. If he can gain weight and play more of a "Al Horford" game, he could be good. I just think there's about a 35% chance he contributes with big minutes. He's 19, so I might be a little too judgemental right now. I still think he's years away from doing much. If a lack of steals means he's a flop, this guy isn't looking great, but at the same time he has been playing out of position.

I've been all over the place with Looney, but I think he has much more upside and can be a very unique player in the league. I see him as a cross between Tristan Thompson and Serge Ibaka in the future as long as he develops into more of a power forward rather than a small forward. His body is so unique and I think unique bodies do a lot of good things in this league. He'll also take time, but I think he's worth the wait. I think Looney could eventually be one of the top 8 players in this draft when we look back five years from now.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#13 » by No-Man » Fri May 29, 2015 10:55 am

I will give the edge slightly to Lyles, not that I believe much in any of them, as I have both ranked out of the top20 though.
Lyles is bigger, a similar athlete, although Looney has some length over him, but he is also more skilled, a better passer, a more well rounded basketball player.
Looney is basically a stretch four project who is slow footed, has a shaky shot and no perimeter tools, he is also a not strong long rebounder, who is not going to be effective doing that because he lacks the size to bang downlow in the league.
Both are kind of meh, I see Lyles as a Drew Gooden type of player, and Looney more in the Joe Smith/Marvin Williams mold, although he is a worse athlete than those guys, especially Marvin.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#14 » by No-Man » Fri May 29, 2015 10:58 am

TripleA1 wrote:Looney to me is better look at tristan thompson a raw power forward his rebounding translated well so I think the same for looney. I don't see anything Lyles does well.

there is a huge difference strength wise, Looney doesnt have Thompson lower body strength and he will never do so.
Thompson has 30lbs on him.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#15 » by Ruzious » Fri May 29, 2015 1:08 pm

They're very comparable. I'm not a big fan of either, but I'll give a slight edge to Looney. I think he's a slightly better athlete, he's shown more shooting range, and actually was a better rebounder than some give him credit for at UCLA, and I think he has more long-term potential if he's able to add some bulk.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#16 » by Illmatic12 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:18 am

doordoor123 wrote:I'm not a fan of Trey Lyles right now. I think he's positionless in the NBA and needs to work on most aspects of his game. Reminds me of Austin Daye. If he can gain weight and play more of a "Al Horford" game, he could be good. I just think there's about a 35% chance he contributes with big minutes. He's 19, so I might be a little too judgemental right now. I still think he's years away from doing much. If a lack of steals means he's a flop, this guy isn't looking great, but at the same time he has been playing out of position.

I've been all over the place with Looney, but I think he has much more upside and can be a very unique player in the league. I see him as a cross between Tristan Thompson and Serge Ibaka in the future as long as he develops into more of a power forward rather than a small forward. His body is so unique and I think unique bodies do a lot of good things in this league. He'll also take time, but I think he's worth the wait. I think Looney could eventually be one of the top 8 players in this draft when we look back five years from now.

A lot of 'unique' bodies don't do anything - see Moe Harkless, Marvin Williams etc

The successful undersized PFs like Draymond all have a strong base and can move people out of the way and post up. Looney's body is not an advantage imo, because he does not have a strong base and will get pushed around like a rag doll at PF. Could maybe play him at SF in certain situations, but he doesn't currently have the offensive polish to be very useful there.

If anything Looney reminds me more of Austin Daye, and Lyles has the better chance of becoming a Tristan Thompson type PF (because he has an NBA body). Looney will have to bulk up considerably to be able to hang at the NBA level as a PF, imo that could take years if ever.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#17 » by kennydorglas » Sat May 30, 2015 2:53 am

Looney.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#18 » by mos_def » Sat May 30, 2015 4:16 am

I think both can be good role players. Lyles will get dismissed a lot cuz he is a big who played a lot of wing. I think Lyles will be the better overall player. Neither will be an allstar. I see Looney like a Thaddeus Young type while Lyles like Marcus Morris
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#19 » by Notanoob » Sat May 30, 2015 4:41 am

Hard to evaluate for sure since neither got many touches and neither played normal defense (Looney was at the top of a zone, Lyles played out of position).

I'm inclined to go with Looney since I like his athleticism and defense more. Looney is every bit the passer Lyles was and both could be able to shoot, but Looney's length and agility should let him be a more effective defensive player who can step out and cover SFs decently.
Barnsey
Junior
And1: 88

Post#20 » by Barnsey » Sat May 30, 2015 5:04 am

Looney. Lyles didn't impress me much in the limited video i've seen of him.
Twitter: @Barnsketball

Return to NBA Draft