Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Re: Pro Comp for Kristap Porzingis 

Post#101 » by djphan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:22 pm

TripleA1 wrote:Porzingis actually produced in his the Spanish league which is a league better than Ncaa he is not some mystery like Exum or Mudiay
I would compare him to Rasheed Wallace good jump shot, tough defender, Average rebounder.

he's not too much of a mystery.. but what he's done isn't all that impressive... unless you count a stretch 4 type as being impressive...

and i don't buy that he would've taken the ncaa by storm... the ncaa is much more physical than any league in europe... if anything he'd probably hit more 3s and score a little better but that doesn't mean he'd rebound better or play good defense...

i'm not condemning euros.. i'm condemning big guys who hang outside on the perimeter..
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,925

Post#102 » by Domejandro » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:48 pm

djphan wrote:
TripleA1 wrote:Porzingis actually produced in his the Spanish league which is a league better than Ncaa he is not some mystery like Exum or Mudiay
I would compare him to Rasheed Wallace good jump shot, tough defender, Average rebounder.

he's not too much of a mystery.. but what he's done isn't all that impressive... unless you count a stretch 4 type as being impressive...

and i don't buy that he would've taken the ncaa by storm... the ncaa is much more physical than any league in europe... if anything he'd probably hit more 3s and score a little better but that doesn't mean he'd rebound better or play good defense...

i'm not condemning euros.. i'm condemning big guys who hang outside on the perimeter..

That is horribly inaccurate in my opinion, the competition is much higher in Europe the NCAA.
djphan
Senior

Post#103 » by djphan » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Domejandro wrote:That is horribly inaccurate in my opinion, the competition is much higher in Europe the NCAA.

it might be but you're also working with less court space... less paint and shorter 3pt line along which results in much tighter spaces and much more physical play in the paint...

it's hypothetical so we can go back and forth all day on this but it's far from automatic that he'd be tearing up ncaa ball...
Effercon
Pro Prospect
And1: 210

Post#104 » by Effercon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:12 am

Yeah, Rasheed was also the first name that came to mind for me.

I think that one of Porzingis and Hezonja (who I think will become a worse version of Vince Carter) will actually become a better player than one of Towns and Okafor.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#105 » by HornetJail » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:20 am

Effercon wrote:

I think that one of Porzingis and Hezonja (who I think will become a worse version of Vince Carter) will actually become a better player than one of Towns and Okafor.

I prefer Mario to Okafor personally. I don't think Okafor's game translates to anything more than Al Jefferson, and while there's risk in picking Mario, poor man's Vince Carter is a fantastic comparison.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,665

Post#106 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:32 am

Poor man's Vince Carter = Gerald Green
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#107 » by Dcebucks11 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

BizGilwalker wrote:
Effercon wrote:

I prefer Mario to Okafor personally. I don't think Okafor's game translates to anything more than Al Jefferson, and while there's risk in picking Mario, poor man's Vince Carter is a fantastic comparison.

That's fair, I easily prefer Okafor over Hezonja but I do see a bit of Al's game in Okafor that I don't like.
Dcebucks11
Banned User

Post#108 » by Dcebucks11 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:Poor man's Vince Carter = Gerald Green

= any guard / forward with elite athletiscm.
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#109 » by NikolaPekovic » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:51 am

Kristaps is basically a really poor mans KG/Anthony Davis type player. Really tall skinny guy with guard skills.
Dcebucks11
Banned User

Post#110 » by Dcebucks11 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:12 am

NikolaPekovic wrote:Kristaps is basically a really poor mans KG/Anthony Davis type player. Really tall skinny guy with guard skills.

Except... Kristaps doesn't really have any guard skills.. Just shooting
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#111 » by NikolaPekovic » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:20 am

Dcebucks11 wrote:
NikolaPekovic wrote:Kristaps is basically a really poor mans KG/Anthony Davis type player. Really tall skinny guy with guard skills.

He is actually good shooting off screens and attacking from the perimeter.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#112 » by Warspite » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:13 am

majortom71 wrote:Can someone please explain to me what the hype is for this guy? He is always listed in top 5 of every mock draft out there and I just don't see it. For one he is a 7 footer that has poor rebounding ability and then his best NBA comp is Bargnani... :nonono:
Also he looks like a twig out there. I can seem him getting bullied around the basket.

Yet again he's always listed top of mock drafts! I don't get it... :confused: :confused: :confused:

He is a draft prospect not a FA.

Do you know the story about 2 men who ran into an angry bear and the bear charged? The 1st guy started running and the 2nd guy said " You will never outrun the bear." The 1st guy answered "I don't have to outrun the bear just you."

Kristap could be the 700th best player in the world but as long as there aren't more than 5 other guys in the draft who are better than he is a top 5 pick.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,075

Post#113 » by sisibilio » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:15 am

UcanUwill wrote:People should stop comparing him to Pau. Pau was Euroleague superstar at age 20/21, guy was on completely different level and was far more promising prospect.

Pau in general is so underrated its crazy.

Pau wan't a superstar at age 19/20 though. He was a bench player in the spanish national team that won the u19 world championship actually, it was clear he had the highest potential but still.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#114 » by Mac1958 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:49 pm

Nikoloz Tskitishvili.

Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#115 » by Side beard » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:07 am

Dcebucks11 wrote:

Guy basically has Davis history. Started as PG and grew in to big guy.
I would not spew anything before you are 100% about the information.
But this is realgm. One DX video gives enough insight and history of a player, that you become instant expert.
djphan
Senior

Post#116 » by djphan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:31 am

Side beard wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:

But this is realgm. One DX video gives enough insight and history of a player, that you become instant expert.

so what's the story/excuse behind 38 career assists for the 7ft 1 pg? if he was a pg.. he wasn't a very good one...
Side beard
Analyst

Post#117 » by Side beard » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:39 pm

djphan wrote:
Side beard wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:

so what's the story/excuse behind 38 career assists for the 7ft 1 pg? if he was a pg.. he wasn't a very good one...

What is the reason of Blake Griffin averaging 0.6 BPG over his career? He is big, athletic, but such a poor defender.

I've noticed you, buddy. And all you do is just ride this one stat in all your comments about Porzingis. People have posted comparison towards Gasol brothers, Bargnani and others who came from Europe to NBA. But you just ignore that.
djphan
Senior

Post#118 » by djphan » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:10 pm

Side beard wrote:What is the reason of Blake Griffin averaging 0.6 BPG over his career? He is big, athletic, but such a poor defender.

I've noticed you, buddy. And all you do is just ride this one stat in all your comments about Porzingis. People have posted comparison towards Gasol brothers, Bargnani and others who came from Europe to NBA. But you just ignore that.

one stat? you forgot rebounding and free throw rate...

and i'll believe any comparisons if i see it.. and i don't see anything resembling the gasol bros... sorry man...
Side beard
Analyst

Post#119 » by Side beard » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:46 pm

djphan wrote:
Side beard wrote:What is the reason of Blake Griffin averaging 0.6 BPG over his career? He is big, athletic, but such a poor defender.

one stat? you forgot rebounding and free throw rate...

and i'll believe any comparisons if i see it.. and i don't see anything resembling the gasol bros... sorry man...

What FT rate? What rebound rate?

Being second in FTA and TRB for his team now is called low?
That team was bottom 5 in the league, pal.
Sevilla averaged 14 APG. 18 FTA per game. And 74 point per game, while league leader averaged 101.

I think you don't have any idea about European leagues and averages there. I think you are just spewing random crap you read on DraftExpress. I think you don't understand that this 19 year old guy had to step up and do most of the work on offense, because his team was so bad.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,003

Post#120 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:07 pm

I love people **** on Euro bigs, as if two Euro bigs wouldn't go #1 and #2 if the 2013 NBA draft could be held over again.

Return to NBA Draft