Draft Workout Thread? Who Looks Good

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Re: Draft Workout Thread? Who Looks Good 

Post#21 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Tue Jun 2, 2015 11:33 pm

EMG518 wrote:Neither Grant or Alexander look good in those workouts to me.

Alexander has a toughness about him though that I can appreciate. I wish his SPG rate was higher, but at least he can block shots. Long arms, standing reach is there, he's going to be a bruising role-playing PF/C in the mold of an Antonio Davis.
PoundTown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,154

Post#22 » by PoundTown » Tue Jun 2, 2015 11:39 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:

Alexander has a toughness about him though that I can appreciate. I wish his SPG rate was higher, but at least he can block shots. Long arms, standing reach is there, he's going to be a bruising role-playing PF/C in the mold of an Antonio Davis.

I didn't find anything about that video that changed the way I think about him. Definitely think he has the chance to fill the role, because he does a lot of the things a big man needs to do and brings energy and toughness, but I do not see anything special either. Antonio Davis is probably his ceiling.
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#23 » by Elden Payton » Wed Jun 3, 2015 12:33 am

zer0d0ubt wrote:Jerian Grant making 15 straight NBA threes at game speed from multiple spots is pretty sweet for a guy who's weakness is his jump shot

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt3ZN4Q0HwE[/youtube]

Jerian Grant has a weakness?
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#24 » by whatchaknow » Wed Jun 3, 2015 1:32 am

PoundTown wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:

I didn't find anything about that video that changed the way I think about him. Definitely think he has the chance to fill the role, because he does a lot of the things a big man needs to do and brings energy and toughness, but I do not see anything special either. Antonio Davis is probably his ceiling.

All i noticed from the video was that he traveled on virtually all his post moves :lol:
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#25 » by Hogified05 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 2:07 am

sooooo I've seen about everyone in this draft workout or be interviewed except for the two Euros. And now Porzinigis is making his way to the states working out and doing a little media. My question is does anyone know if Hezonja is headed this way soon for pre draft workouts and interviews? Porzinigis and Hezonja are both major options for the Magic at 5. I'd like to see some interviews and workouts from Hezonja hopefully soon.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Post#26 » by immortalone23 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 3:33 am

Isn't Cliff injured?
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Re: 

Post#27 » by Elden Payton » Wed Jun 3, 2015 4:15 am

immortalone23 wrote:Isn't Cliff injured?

Only his pride.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#28 » by Prospect Dong » Wed Jun 3, 2015 4:45 am

Bernman wrote:Stanley Johnson is amazing. But he was amazing down the stretch for a college freshman. That's pretty much all that matters.

Homie who stated earlier almost everyone looks amazing in workouts is correct. The dysfunctional Bucks when they were owned by Kohl got duped on back-to-back top 10 draft picks because of how they (Potsie Alexander, PonzYi) looked in workouts. These guys are practicing shooting and dribbling for half of a day for months. Of course they can drain uncontested, virtually standstill jumpers and dribble without fumbling into dunks by now. I'd pay more attention to the interview than the workout. Then you can supplement their pre NBA competitive play with gauging if their personality projects them to keep improving.

zer0d0ubt wrote:Jerian Grant making 15 straight NBA threes at game speed from multiple spots is pretty sweet for a guy who's weakness is his jump shot

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt3ZN4Q0HwE[/youtube]

He shot 34.5% from 3 during his career, 79% from the line. And when he had a down year shooting 3's this year, a grossly disproportional amount were unassisted and/or at the end of the shot clock. Only 40% of Grant's 3's were assisted this year. There are prospects in this draft at 100% (Oubre for example), and nobody is really even close to that low of a percentage which were assisted. He's the consummate floor general in a rather big, athletic body for one. The guy sacrificed his efficiency somewhat for that of his teammates. Everybody on that team but Grant put up a 60+ ts%. And Grant's sacrifice dropped him to a meager 59.1 ts%. Still better than a high majority of prospects. He's the primary reason Notre Dame had one of the most efficient offenses in recent college history. And he did it last year as well before getting suspended, and came back after his senior rather than junior year for that reason.

Grant really doesn't have a glaring weakness other than being 22. But all these other guys will be 22 eventually, and what are the chances they don't have the same amount or more weaknesses at that point? You can't get less than zero.

I'd agree with all of that, except to note that a great interview was apparently a key driver for Kahn's selection of Johnny Flynn, who's one of the few recently picks as bad as Alexander and Yi. I'd be nervous about a guy whose primary attribute is that he talks a good game.
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Re: Re: 

Post#29 » by immortalone23 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 2:24 pm

"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Re: Re: 

Post#30 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 2:31 pm

immortalone23 wrote:
Sik Infant wrote:
immortalone23 wrote:Isn't Cliff injured?

Only his pride.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-kansas-cliff-alexander-knee-injury-lakers-20150602-story.html

He has apparently done most of his workouts.
David Worthy
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#31 » by David Worthy » Wed Jun 3, 2015 7:28 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i89E4DyhVU0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Damn good jumper
Could be easily taken 4th by the Knicks
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#32 » by Kilo » Wed Jun 3, 2015 10:30 pm

Hogified05 wrote:sooooo I've seen about everyone in this draft workout or be interviewed except for the two Euros. And now Porzinigis is making his way to the states working out and doing a little media. My question is does anyone know if Hezonja is headed this way soon for pre draft workouts and interviews? Porzinigis and Hezonja are both major options for the Magic at 5. I'd like to see some interviews and workouts from Hezonja hopefully soon.

His Euro team is still alive in the play-offs. I believe they're heading into the Finals now, but if it goes long he won't be able to come over until the middle of the month - so basically a week out from the draft is when he'd get Stateside.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#33 » by doordoor123 » Wed Jun 3, 2015 11:00 pm

Kilo wrote:
Hogified05 wrote:sooooo I've seen about everyone in this draft workout or be interviewed except for the two Euros. And now Porzinigis is making his way to the states working out and doing a little media. My question is does anyone know if Hezonja is headed this way soon for pre draft workouts and interviews? Porzinigis and Hezonja are both major options for the Magic at 5. I'd like to see some interviews and workouts from Hezonja hopefully soon.

His Euro team is still alive in the play-offs. I believe they're heading into the Finals now, but if it goes long he won't be able to come over until the middle of the month - so basically a week out from the draft is when he'd get Stateside.

There's a chance he doesn't fly here till two days before the draft because of the finals. They were talking about it on the Dunc'd on podcast.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#34 » by Hogified05 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 1:27 am

well that's a bummer.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#35 » by HotelVitale » Thu Jun 4, 2015 2:05 am

Prospect Dong wrote: I'd agree with all of that, except to note that a great interview was apparently a key driver for Kahn's selection of Johnny Flynn, who's one of the few recently picks as bad as Alexander and Yi. I'd be nervous about a guy whose primary attribute is that he talks a good game.

Flynn was a consensus top-8 pick. His interview might've been enough to seal the deal but it wasn't why he was in the mix at that spot. I agree with your basic point but Kahn doesn't deserve the blame (for once) for the pick--or for Flynn busting.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Jun 4, 2015 3:37 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote: I'd agree with all of that, except to note that a great interview was apparently a key driver for Kahn's selection of Johnny Flynn, who's one of the few recently picks as bad as Alexander and Yi. I'd be nervous about a guy whose primary attribute is that he talks a good game.

Flynn was a consensus top-8 pick. His interview might've been enough to seal the deal but it wasn't why he was in the mix at that spot. I agree with your basic point but Kahn doesn't deserve the blame (for once) for the pick--or for Flynn busting.

Draftexpress only had him above #10 once and, not coincidentally, that was him going to the twolves at #4. I don't follow the draft all that closely, but I thought he was overdrafted from day one.

I actually think Kahn gets too much blame (Miller+Foye for #5 was pretty great, for example) but I do think Flynn belongs in his loss column.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jonny-Flynn-1245/mock-draft-history/

KawhiRaptors
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#37 » by HotelVitale » Thu Jun 4, 2015 4:01 am

Prospect Dong wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Draftexpress only had him above #10 once and, not coincidentally, that was him going to the twolves at #4. I don't follow the draft all that closely, but I thought he was overdrafted from day one.
I actually think Kahn gets too much blame (Miller+Foye for #5 was pretty great, for example) but I do think Flynn belongs in his loss column.

I stand (partially) corrected. Looks like he was a more controversial prospect than I remembered:
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/06/10/consensus/

Half those have him at #10 or lower. Still, he wasn't a crazy reach at #5. Similar to a team taking Hezonja there this year.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by Prospect Dong » Thu Jun 4, 2015 4:25 am

HotelVitale wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:
HotelVitale wrote: Flynn was a consensus top-8 pick. His interview might've been enough to seal the deal but it wasn't why he was in the mix at that spot. I agree with your basic point but Kahn doesn't deserve the blame (for once) for the pick--or for Flynn busting.

I stand (partially) corrected. Looks like he was a more controversial prospect than I remembered:
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/06/10/consensus/

Half those have him at #10 or lower. Still, he wasn't a crazy reach at #5. Similar to a team taking Hezonja there this year.

I'll stipulate to "reach, but not a crazy reach". I think we need to get a little closer to the draft before drawing analogies with this year's guys, but maybe Ross or Westbrook are decent comparisons.

KawhiRaptors
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#39 » by crows2 » Thu Jun 4, 2015 11:28 am

Cauley-Stein's release on his jump shot looks so slow. I can't see that translating to in-game situations. Towns on the other hand will definitely translate.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#40 » by BoutPractice » Thu Jun 4, 2015 2:45 pm

Yeah, there's something a bit funky about his release... seems to be a bit inconsistent depending on the situation. Some make it go in regardless, so you never know, but since he doesn't have a real track record of stretching the floor I wouldn't count on it.

4 for him would be a reach. Let's not forget that he is a junior... an athletic 7 footer, yes, but a junior who will be 22 when he enters the league. Despite his age he's averaged more than 10 ppg in the NCAA and his stats didn't really improve from year to year. He's nowhere near as strong as DeAndre Jordan, too, so the comparison seems to me exaggerated.

I would stay away until the big talents are off the board... I know the Tyson Chandler type has been hot lately, but not every one of those turns out to be Tyson Chandler, and more than 3 prospects have the potential to be better than a Tyson Chandler. This not even taking into account the fact that Tyson Chandler only revealed his full potential for a team other than the one that drafted him, so purely from a GM perspective, slow developing bigs are risky picks.

Return to NBA Draft