Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Where is the next Megastar-or-"have i missed somebody" 

Post#1 » by crazy_me_87 » Fri Jun 5, 2015 8:48 am

Hi guys
Im here to ask my anual question around because im sadly not as up to date what prospects are concerned.
Is there any new Megastar on the Horizon?

The NBA has alot of great players right now.. and even some young talents that are amazing(AD,Wiggins etc)
And the next 2 drafts look promising.

Yet i dont have the feeling that right now there is THAT guy incoming the next years or have i missed someone?

Its been 12 years since Lebron entered the NBA and while we have gotten many great players after him.. none so far has really shown the Potential to be like Lebron a top 5 Player of all time.

Is there anybody out there right now not yet in the NBA who has that "He has the Potential to be top 5-10 All time maybe even GOAT" sure thing feel?

With Lebron we knew a few years ahead of his draft he was pretty much the sure thing. If you watched him you just knew.

have i overlocked someone?
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Re: Where is the next Megastar-or-"have i missed somebody" 

Post#2 » by crows2 » Fri Jun 5, 2015 9:40 am

DeAndre Ayton, class of 2017, seems to be the next absolute can't miss prospect. He's already seen as the number 1 prospect in high school over all of the 2015 and 2016 prospects.
sweetcity
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,289

Post#3 » by sweetcity » Fri Jun 5, 2015 12:47 pm

What about Steph Curry, best shooter of all time, only 27 years old.... i think he reigns now for a few years, then depending on situation, Wiggins or someone else takes over.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#4 » by The-Power » Fri Jun 5, 2015 2:24 pm

Well, there aren't many players with the potential to be a top-5 player of all time anyway. This should be blatantly obvious immediately, given that it's a top-5 from the last 60+ years of professional basketball. We have LeBron right now and the next big thing (= a potential top-10 of all time player) is AD. Odds are that we will have to wait a few years for the next transcendental talent to appear.
Go_Hornets
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#5 » by Go_Hornets » Fri Jun 5, 2015 2:34 pm

Josh Jackson
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#6 » by Jables » Fri Jun 5, 2015 2:35 pm

Curry is probably on track to be the second best Point Guard of all time, I think he's a "megastar" or whatever that is. Look at top 5 lists and realise just how hard it is to crack it as a superstar, Russell with 11 rings will never be out of that 5 in terms of greatness, Kareem with an untouchable scoring record, Michael Jordan is Michael Jordan, Magic, Bird, Hakeem, Shaq, Wilt who has absolutely insane stats. Hell I wouldn't take Lebron over 5 of those guys if I'm honest with you.

People always say there's a sure fire next big thing, but they're often wrong. You just have to wait and see. Compared to generation upon generation of superstars modern day talent will pretty much always come short from now on. I'm pretty high on Ben Simmons myself, haven't seen skills like that from a 4 in a long, long time. Underrated athlete too.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#7 » by Chuck Everett » Fri Jun 5, 2015 3:03 pm

The thing about a "megastar" or some variation of that, is its based on accomplishments. So if a player begins to assert themselves come playoff time and wins a boatload of championships, they will receive the accolades based off their efforts. Basically a) sustained excellence has to happen before b) attention and accolades. Case in point, MJ wasn't really MJ from a superstar perspective until he was winning titles, even if he was statistically no better.

Can't be a megastar in the NBA and not win on the big stage, be better than your peers. Need to let the career unfold.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#8 » by rzzzzz » Fri Jun 5, 2015 3:44 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:Hi guys
I
Is there anybody out there right now not yet in the NBA who has that "He has the Potential to be top 5-10 All time maybe even GOAT" sure thing feel?

Embiid hasn't played yet. Watching this giant workout, displaying jaw-dropping athleticism, and shooting the lights out from ridiculous distances, you just got to wonder how good he'll be if he stays healthy.
Prez
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41,803

Post#9 » by Prez » Fri Jun 5, 2015 5:30 pm

He's already here, and his name is Anthony Davis. He's just about 2-3 years away from that "megastar" status. The stuff he's doing at 22 is pretty insane, if he doesn't qualify for this thread I don't know who does. If the Pels get healthy and fill out that roster the next couple years, now with their new two-headed coaching monster of Gentry-Erman...Davis is going to rule the NBA.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,419
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#10 » by E-Balla » Fri Jun 5, 2015 6:48 pm

crazy_me_87 wrote:Hi guys
Im here to ask my anual question around because im sadly not as up to date what prospects are concerned.
Is there any new Megastar on the Horizon?

The NBA has alot of great players right now.. and even some young talents that are amazing(AD,Wiggins etc)
And the next 2 drafts look promising.

Yet i dont have the feeling that right now there is THAT guy incoming the next years or have i missed someone?

Its been 12 years since Lebron entered the NBA and while we have gotten many great players after him.. none so far has really shown the Potential to be like Lebron a top 5 Player of all time.

With Lebron we knew a few years ahead of his draft he was pretty much the sure thing. If you watched him you just knew.

have i overlocked someone?

His name is Anthony Davis. So far he's arguably the best 18, 19, 20, and 21 year old ever. If he takes another step forward in his game I don't even want to know what we'd be watching (same thing I said about Lebron prior to 09 and same as people probably felt about Shaq). Kevin Durant and Greg Oden were that good too. For players coming up (as in not in the league) there's DeAndre Ayton. Dude put up 17 points and 18 rebounds against UNC in the summer and he's 16. 7-0, 235, 7-5 wingspan, and amazing athleticism. I've heard David Robinson, Kevin Garnett, and Shawn Kemp comparisons. Haven't seen him play yet though.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#11 » by Kabookalu » Fri Jun 5, 2015 7:06 pm

Yes, you did miss somebody, and you even mentioned him in your post.

Anthony Davis.

This is a kid that came off a season averaging 24/10/3 on .530% shooting, and yet you can still consider him as a raw prospect. His ceiling is unbelievably high, and he has yet to scratch his defensive potential, in spite of his high block numbers. And AD with polished skills that can score off of more ways than just jumpers and opportunistic buckets is a frightening player to even imagine.
Read on Twitter
mos_def
Sixth Man
And1: 277

Post#12 » by mos_def » Fri Jun 5, 2015 7:55 pm

Anthony Davis is scary. And now he gets Gentry's fast pace offense. That's scary. Of course there is Steph.
PICKnPOP
Sophomore
And1: 39

Where is the next Megastar-or-"have i missed somebody" 

Post#13 » by PICKnPOP » Sat Jun 6, 2015 2:41 am

Josh Jackson.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
djphan
Senior
And1: 215

Post#14 » by djphan » Sat Jun 6, 2015 4:30 am

if it's not anthony davis then i don't know who it would be... you could throw embiid and towns in there also depending on health...
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#15 » by andyhop » Sat Jun 6, 2015 8:38 am

Seeing as noone has mentioned him I'll say KD ,given a bit of luck with injuries to him and teammates he could be sitting here at 26 with a couple of rings to his name.
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#16 » by Rastas » Sat Jun 6, 2015 11:22 am

How about the 6'-10" 240 lbs point forward with better left/ right handles than Lebron (and a similar all round stat line) who just won all there was to win in High school last year ,,,,,, dont go beauty resting on Simmons people!
Bubstubbler
Starter
And1: 755

Post#17 » by Bubstubbler » Sat Jun 6, 2015 7:38 pm

As far as potential top 5 ever types, the torch sort of goes like this imo (just looking at from LeBron onward):

LeBron
Durant
AD
Embiid

Those are the 4 guys who have really stood out as potential torch-carriers. Oden did, too.
Von Bismarck
Pro Prospect
And1: 651

Post#18 » by Von Bismarck » Sat Jun 6, 2015 8:03 pm

As for the guys in the league, it's definitely Anthony Davis. I will also mention Kevin Durant, that guy can do anything, unfortunately he has bad luck.

There's a guy that comes and since people here are mentioning Towns, Simmons and similar prospects, I have to mention him. His name is Dragan Bender (almost Dragon Bender :evil: :evil: ), he's 7,1 220lbs Point Forward and he'll be playing for Maccabi Tel-Aviv (European powerhouse) senior team as of 15/16 season. He was born on 11/17/97, that means he's only 17. He's lottery (usually 9-10) on most of 2016 mock drafts even though he's much younger than the rest of them, Ben Simmons is for example a year and a half older than Bender.

His wingspan was measured 7,1 in 2014 when he was 16.

Maybe not a megastar but a superstar in making. He can literally do anything, many people said he reminds them of Kukoc/Nowitzki hybrid. In terms of NBA potential, he is a way bigger potential than his compatriot Dario Saric, and also bigger than Hezonja.

p.s last year's Sports Illustrated did article on Bender -> http://www.si.com/nba/2014/08/06/fiba-c ... l-aviv-nba
crows2
Senior
And1: 559

Post#19 » by crows2 » Sun Jun 7, 2015 12:05 pm

The question was regarding players not yet in the NBA, not current players. As I said before, DeAndre Ayton (2017) is the one seen as a possible generational talent.

No one from this year's draft is seen as generational. Apart from Ayton, Ben Simmons (2015), Josh Jackson (2016) and Marvin Bagley (2018) probably have the best chances but they're not at Ayton's level currently.

Obviously if you include current NBA players, the best prospects we've seen come out of the draft over the last 10 years are Oden, Durant and Davis. Unfortunately it didn't work out for Oden, but Durant and Davis both have the chance to go down as all-time greats.

Of course, players mature at different rates. Despite not being seen as a generational talent early on in his career, Curry is now the greatest shooter of all time and may be about to win his first ring, but it remains to be seen how high he can go. Other current players might also pop up as generational talents.

As for the younger players, the Wiggins/Parker/Embiid trio of last year were probably the 3 best prospects since Davis. If any of them fulfil their potential, they'll be very well regarded in NBA history.

In saying all of that, if you're looking for the next LeBron, I don't think he's come along yet. Maybe LeBron Jr could be your best chance? :p
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#20 » by bigboi » Sun Jun 7, 2015 12:44 pm

Josh Jackson is the next megastar. Dude pretty much has the best traits of Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins, literally is the next TMac. Davis is good, but I think people are going to be pretty disappointed due to unrealistic expectations. He won't run the league like people think
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.

Return to NBA Draft