Is This Video Workout Of Kristaps Porzingis Being Overhyped? Could Go Top 3 In The Draft Now

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Re: Is This Video Workout Of Kristaps Porzingis Being Overhyped? Could Go Top 3 In The Draft Now 

Post#281 » by Rosque » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:38 pm

Can I just point out that Giannis was playing in Greek second Division (second tier) before he got drafted?
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Re: Is This Video Workout Of Kristaps Porzingis Being Overhyped? Could Go Top 3 In The Draft Now 

Post#282 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:51 pm

If the competition that KP faced was so terrific, please name some tough individual matchups he had. What players did he face?
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#283 » by 903124 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:37 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:To you it doesn't matter, but in reality ACB teams by nature of their roster restrictions on number of foreign players reduces the overall quality of the rosters because at least 5 domestic players have to be on the roster. Those are 5 players that potentially wouldn't be able to get on the team if there were an open competition for those very same 5 spots with NCAA and DLeague players. ACB teams only have 2 Americans because the league restricts it to such, without that restriction Americans would dominate ACB. NCAA has more talented players than ACB. The roster restrictions of the ACB essentially mandates that a certain number of homegrown domestic players have to be on the team, those very same players often are too horrible to ever qualify for an NCAA D1 scholarship!
I'm looking at KP's ACB roster and there is only one player that was drafted to the NBA! Derrick Byars!

To be fair Guillermo Hernangomez is early second round prospect and Radičević is good young prospect too. Even most top tier team in NCAA does only has tow or three drafted prospect and last year UConn win the champoinship with only Napier is NBA caliber-player. Sevilla is a bad team in ACB and cannot be compared to Euroleague team like RM or Barca. Consider ACB team use more mature man, its bad team is about the same strength as sweet 16 team and Barca or RM will beat Kentucky for sure.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#284 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:58 pm

903124 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:To you it doesn't matter, but in reality ACB teams by nature of their roster restrictions on number of foreign players reduces the overall quality of the rosters because at least 5 domestic players have to be on the roster. Those are 5 players that potentially wouldn't be able to get on the team if there were an open competition for those very same 5 spots with NCAA and DLeague players. ACB teams only have 2 Americans because the league restricts it to such, without that restriction Americans would dominate ACB. NCAA has more talented players than ACB. The roster restrictions of the ACB essentially mandates that a certain number of homegrown domestic players have to be on the team, those very same players often are too horrible to ever qualify for an NCAA D1 scholarship!
I'm looking at KP's ACB roster and there is only one player that was drafted to the NBA! Derrick Byars!

To be fair Guillermo Hernangomez is early second round prospect and Radičević is good young prospect too. Even most top tier team in NCAA does only has tow or three drafted prospect and last year UConn win the champoinship with only Napier is NBA caliber-player. Sevilla is a bad team in ACB and cannot be compared to Euroleague team like RM or Barca. Consider ACB team use more mature man, its bad team is about the same strength as sweet 16 team and Barca or RM will beat Kentucky for sure.

ACB may use mature men, but NCAA has athletes in abundance that are athletically on par with the best NBA athletes. This allows a better barometer for gauging a prospect's transition into the NBA in my opinion. You get to see elite athletes square off and even play next to one another on the same team.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
TripleA1
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#285 » by TripleA1 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:45 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
903124 wrote:

ACB may use mature men, but NCAA has athletes in abundance that are athletically on par with the best NBA athletes. This allows a better barometer for gauging a prospect's transition into the NBA in my opinion. You get to see elite athletes square off and even play next to one another on the same team.

Dude UNLV has elite athletes they lost to a canadian college basketball team. Seeing how porzingis is professional instead of a college player he faced much better competition.
GANGSTERDOG
Sixth Man
And1: 802

Post#286 » by GANGSTERDOG » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:50 pm

After seeing this workout, i have no doubt in my mind KP will go somewhere in the lottery. Hell he might even crack the top 12

Willing to bet my dog on it
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#287 » by DaddyCool19 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:45 pm

GANGSTERDOG wrote:After seeing this workout, i have no doubt in my mind KP will go somewhere in the lottery. Hell he might even crack the top 12

Willing to bet my dog on it

LMAO at top 12. He will most likely end up in the top 5
TrueWarrior
RealGM
And1: 8,162

Post#288 » by TrueWarrior » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:24 am

Rosque wrote:Can I just point out that Giannis was playing in Greek second Division (second tier) before he got drafted?

Yeah but he's black
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#289 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:36 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:Somebody showed me this and I became instantly less impressed.

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KzqJyADNaJI[/youtube]

He could easily become a better player. Just saying, his highlights don't look all that intense no more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KzqJyADNaJI

Not all of Bargs' failure is his own.

If the Raps continued to groom Bargs into a SF/PF rather than trying to turn him into a defensive anchor; I think we would have seen a different Bargs.

The kid was skilled and proved it on the biggest stages of Europe, but BC got it into his head to pack a bunch of weight on the kid and let him learn to be a C on the fly in the NBA.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#290 » by John Murdoch » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:58 am

I realize who he reminds me of now ..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXuDra2tG7w[/youtube]
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#291 » by nybluemeadow » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:10 am

Work out videos and highlights are not good scouting tools. As i remember, i think Dirk and Pau had great games against team USA when they were just 19yr. Has Porzingis played against any USA team? How did he do in those games against American competition?
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Post#292 » by orlandomanic » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:17 am

I think Brags was a good prospects, its just really hard to scout Basketball IQ and i think international guys have just as low a basketball IQ as the american guys or even lower.

Alot of these international bust just look lost out their on an NBA court, more than them being slow. And they make alot of bad irritating decisions that really annoy their own fans.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,482

Post#293 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:48 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:Wow, I just noticed that KP never actually played in Euroleague, he's a true minor league prospect that didn't start in that minor league. This is like a prospect that didn't start in college.

SelfishPlayer wrote:The ACB unlike college basketball doesn't put the best talent they can get on the basketball floor. The ACB constructs their rosters with restrictions like only 2 players that do not have a European passport and mandates that at least 5 players on the team have to be from the country the team is located. WTF?! 5 players that have European or contonou passports, so basically no more han 7 foreign players. ACB isn't about putting the best available players in the world on the court, the ACB is about putting players on the court according to the league restrictions. There would be many more American players in the ACB if the league were dedicated to being the best it could be. It's definetly a league less effective for gauging NBA talent than the NCAA has been IMO.

SelfishPlayer wrote:ACB may use mature men, but NCAA has athletes in abundance that are athletically on par with the best NBA athletes. This allows a better barometer for gauging a prospect's transition into the NBA in my opinion. You get to see elite athletes square off and even play next to one another on the same team.

Like I said, this is 2015, and yet we still get some people in here making comments like this that are the kinds of things you would expect to hear from back in the 80s, when the European players were first coming to the NBA. Not to mention that the facts being claimed are not even correct.

It's really embarrassing, considering that basketball in Europe is very advanced these days, yet we have some people acting like it is in the stone age or something.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,080

Post#294 » by sisibilio » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:43 am

nybluemeadow wrote:Work out videos and highlights are not good scouting tools. As i remember, i think Dirk and Pau had great games against team USA when they were just 19yr. Has Porzingis played against any USA team? How did he do in those games against American competition?

Actually Pau was a reserve in the spanish team that won the world junior championship, although it was clear he was the one with the highest ceiling of the bunch.

BTW Milan Macvan dominated the US players in the Nike Hoop Summit and very few people thought of him as an NBA prospect, there's not a direct correlation between both things.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,784

Post#295 » by UcanUwill » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:18 pm

sisibilio wrote:
nybluemeadow wrote:Work out videos and highlights are not good scouting tools. As i remember, i think Dirk and Pau had great games against team USA when they were just 19yr. Has Porzingis played against any USA team? How did he do in those games against American competition?

Actually Pau was a reserve in the spanish team that won the world junior championship, although it was clear he was the one with the highest ceiling of the bunch.

BTW Milan Macvan dominated the US players in the Nike Hoop Summit and very few people thought of him as an NBA prospect, there's not a direct correlation between both things.

My math was off. For some reason thought Pau exploded when he was 19, he was actually 21 when he had that amazing year with Barcelona.

And you are right about Pau being reserve on Spanish U19 team in 1999. Just checked his stats, he averaged 5.2 points and 3.5 rebounds. Talk about late bloomer...

Looking at Pau and Marc, maybe theres still hope for Adria :D
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#296 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:31 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
sisibilio wrote:

My math was off. For some reason thought Pau exploded when he was 19, he was actually 21 when he had that amazing year with Barcelona.

And you are right about Pau being reserve on Spanish U19 team in 1999. Just checked his stats, he averaged 5.2 points and 3.5 rebounds. Talk about late bloomer...

Looking at Pau and Marc, maybe theres still hope for Adria :D

Remember it almost always takes big men longer to develop. And that there is also a difference between being an actual big man in game, style, skills, and just in how tall and big you are. That's one of the things that always gets me actually about how the NBA never seems to even account for that anymore in how they do their drafting, or certainly it seems to never be accounted for in these player rankings and mock drafts you see.
BoutPractice
Senior
And1: 540

Post#297 » by BoutPractice » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Based on those workouts I kind of understand what you might be able to mold him into.

On offense they're probably thinking they could use him in a similar way to Anthony Davis or at least Serge Ibaka.

As in, a guy who can pick and pop for the long 2, roll hard to the basket for the alley oop, run in transition, and even occasionally put the ball on the floor.

On paper, why not - hence all the buzz and excitement. But I don't think they realize how much of AD's success is due to his basketball IQ and finishing ability close to the basket.

And then there's defense... while I could see KP being a quite decent rim protector, he's no Anthony Davis there.

But yeah, at least that's one actual NBA role you could imagine for him.
bandwagonTank
Junior
And1: 226

Post#298 » by bandwagonTank » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:12 pm

reminds me a lot of bargnani, and not sure if it's a good thing.

He's explosive but not sure if he can retain that quickness if he packs of 20 pounds. Sure his shot is money and seems to have limitless range but just like bargnani it's the others things that a players needs to do on the court that'll matter, mainly defense, rebounding, and passing the ball.

Also keep in mind Darko had a good workout too.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#299 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:14 am

Wow Porzingis is 7'2 with a 7'6 wingspan.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#300 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:35 am

doordoor123 wrote:Wow Porzingis is 7'2 with a 7'6 wingspan.

If those are his measurements it should be no surprise. Players in Europe are often listed by height without shoes. Probably most players in Europe are listed that way, except for Americans that often have their in shoes listings from NCAA or NBA. But even a lot of Americans end up getting listed barefoot too in Europe.

Return to NBA Draft