Is Stanely Johnson that much better than Justin Anderson?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BleedGreen1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,776

Is Stanely Johnson that much better than Justin Anderson? 

Post#1 » by BleedGreen1989 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Reading over their profiles (i don't watch much college ball), they seem very similar on paper. Big, strong kids. Good defenders. Capable shooters.

Wondering if any of you guys more into the college game can tell me?
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Re: Is Stanely Johnson that much better than Justin Anderson? 

Post#2 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Potential and age. They're within 10 positions of each other so the gap isn't huge and Stanley might slip. But yes I agree there are similar.

Actually they both remind me of Joey Graham. Big, strong, SFs with defensive potential and lack some fluidity to their game and can hit the open jumper. Is that good or bad - I don't know. Good Joey was pretty good.
Ska needs to make a comeback.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#3 » by Marcus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:40 pm

Justin is more than likely headed for roleplayer 3&D guy ville.

While that's not a negative thing to be by any means Stanley has more ability to create for himself and others while providing the same if not higher level on the defensive end. Combine that with the age difference and Stan projects to be better than Justin IMO.

Both have question marks on the legitimacy of their strenghts on both ends. Are the jumpers for real or did they just have good years. Is Justin's defensive acumen a product of the team and that system or can he legit hold his own. Does Stan legit bring it on the defensive end at all times or can he get lazy on that end of the floor.

Sidenote: Stan to me is getting buried and legit underrated in some ways this draft. I think he may surprise.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
BIG_controversy
Sophomore
And1: 99

Post#4 » by BIG_controversy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:29 pm

I believe there's a 5 yr age diff so that alone will cause scouts to rate Stanley higher
BIG_controversy
Sophomore

Post#5 » by BIG_controversy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Stanley Johnson looks like young Ron Artest to me btw
tester551
Analyst
And1: 799

Post#6 » by tester551 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:04 pm

BIG_controversy wrote:I believe there's a 5 yr age diff so that alone will cause scouts to rate Stanley higher

Johnson is 19.0-yr old and Anderson is 21.5.
21.5 - 19.0 = 2.5 years difference in age... not 5 yrs
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#7 » by giberish » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:29 pm

tester551 wrote:
BIG_controversy wrote:I believe there's a 5 yr age diff so that alone will cause scouts to rate Stanley higher

that's still a big difference though. Anderson's better now, and likely a better rookie, but Johnson's upside is significantly higher. That's why Johnson's likely a lotto pick, where teams are looking for upside and future stars, while Anderson's likely a late-1st where teams are mostly looking for cheap role players.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,568

Post#8 » by greg4012 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 pm

Stanley as a freshman was arguably a better player than Anderson as a Junior. Their stats were very similar in terms of raw scoring per possession. And by defensive metrics they were pretty similar with Stanley having more impressive DBPM and DWS.

But, the more you dig the more apparent it is that what Stanley did was clearly more impressive. Stanley as a freshman, ended up being the leading scorer and #1 option (most FGA) on one of the top teams in the country. He also ended the season with the best advanced defensive metrics of his whole team (right with RHJ). Justin Anderson, on the other hand, as a 3rd year player on a similarly competitive team was a 3rd option on offense and the 3rd most effective defender on the team.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by Marcus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:02 pm

giberish wrote:
tester551 wrote:

that's still a big difference though. Anderson's better now, and likely a better rookie, but Johnson's upside is significantly higher. That's why Johnson's likely a lotto pick, where teams are looking for upside and future stars, while Anderson's likely a late-1st where teams are mostly looking for cheap role players.

why do you feel Anderson is better than Johnson right now? What do you see that he brings to the table that's better than Johnson?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#10 » by Dcebucks11 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Stan seems to have ordinary handles, below average finishing around the rim, and decent not great jumper, defense wasn't great as his lateral quickness is poor... I think he'll be a solid but not great player.. I like Winslow over him easily, and Anderson has similar traits to winslow but he's older so I def wouldn't take him over Stan who does have a lot of room to improve.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:17 am

Both are solid players. I don't think either are necessarily good picks -- solid.
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,568

Post#12 » by greg4012 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:56 am

Dcebucks11 wrote:Stan seems to have ordinary handles, below average finishing around the rim, and decent not great jumper, defense wasn't great as his lateral quickness is poor... I think he'll be a solid but not great player.. I like Winslow over him easily, and Anderson has similar traits to winslow but he's older so I def wouldn't take him over Stan who does have a lot of room to improve.

Who you watching? I'd argue Stan has the best handles of the wings likely going lotto, and that one of his athletic strengths is his lateral quickness.

Also, while he has a low release, Stanley was actually the best wing midrange jumpshooter this past NCAA season among those projected in the first round. Also solid from 3, obviously.

Yes, he is a poor finisher, though.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by Marcus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:44 am

greg4012 wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:Stan seems to have ordinary handles, below average finishing around the rim, and decent not great jumper, defense wasn't great as his lateral quickness is poor... I think he'll be a solid but not great player.. I like Winslow over him easily, and Anderson has similar traits to winslow but he's older so I def wouldn't take him over Stan who does have a lot of room to improve.

Who you watching? I'd argue Stan has the best handles of the wings likely going lotto, and that one of his athletic strengths is his lateral quickness.

Also, while he has a low release, Stanley was actually the best wing midrange jumpshooter this past NCAA season among those projected in the first round. Also solid from 3, obviously.

Always felt like his finishing issues stemmed from trying too hard to draw fouls.
Watch More Basketball

Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#14 » by Talent Chaser » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:33 am

Marcus wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

Always felt like his finishing issues stemmed from trying too hard to draw fouls.

I really doubt that had much to do with it. If he was trying to draw fouls that means he would be driving hard to the basket and finishing strong. He is a tentative driver and lacks touch. If he plays as big as his physique he should have no problem finishing at the rim given his strength and athleticism.
WeNeverLeftAZ
Junior
And1: 398

Post#15 » by WeNeverLeftAZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:37 am

Marcus wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

As someone who watched every game he played last year and a ton in HS this is correct. He also would try to pull up to avoid charges and wasn't great from the baseline with them. He was always battling for those offensive rebounds off a miss though. I think whoever gets him will be very excited about what he could become.
I made sure to say 'Bear Down Arizona!' at the end of our broadcast. That was for Wildcat Nation. -NBC Anchor Brian Williams
BIG_controversy
Sophomore

Post#16 » by BIG_controversy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:59 pm

I keep thinking Justin Anderson is 23/24...that's my mistake...still more upside w/ SJ
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Marcus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:
Marcus wrote:Always felt like his finishing issues stemmed from trying too hard to draw fouls.

I really doubt that had much to do with it. If he was trying to draw fouls that means he would be driving hard to the basket and finishing strong. He is a tentative driver and lacks touch. If he plays as big as his physique he should have no problem finishing at the rim given his strength and athleticism.

never saw tentative when i watched him. if anything i would say he was overly aggressive at times. Dribbled into traffic a lot of times forcing the isssue when he didn't really need to.
Watch More Basketball

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#18 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:Actually they both remind me of Joey Graham. Big, strong, SFs with defensive potential and lack some fluidity to their game and can hit the open jumper. Is that good or bad - I don't know. Good Joey was pretty good.

That's actually a really solid comparison. I think SJ may be able to develop into a secondary ball handler down the road.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#19 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Marcus wrote:
Talent Chaser wrote:
Marcus wrote:Always felt like his finishing issues stemmed from trying too hard to draw fouls.

never saw tentative when i watched him. if anything i would say he was overly aggressive at times. Dribbled into traffic a lot of times forcing the isssue when he didn't really need to.

I only watched a handful of Arizona games, but I tend to agree with you. Johnson would just bulldoze into traffic and try to make something happen, usually to his detriment. It's reflected in his shooting percentages around the rim.

How he can improve that in the NBA will be interesting, as there's generally more spacing and he obviously won't be the defense's primary target either.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#20 » by Marcus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:13 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Talent Chaser wrote:I really doubt that had much to do with it. If he was trying to draw fouls that means he would be driving hard to the basket and finishing strong. He is a tentative driver and lacks touch. If he plays as big as his physique he should have no problem finishing at the rim given his strength and athleticism.

I only watched a handful of Arizona games, but I tend to agree with you. Johnson would just bulldoze into traffic and try to make something happen, usually to his detriment. It's reflected in his shooting percentages around the rim.

How he can improve that in the NBA will be interesting, as there's generally more spacing and he obviously won't be the defense's primary target either.

i think that helps fuel his surprise impact factor. The size is there. He's not unskilled by any means. Looked like he tried to play too much of a NBA game in college if that makes sense. By that I mean attacking when space was limited whereas it would be more open in the league. Did a lot of ISO whereas college tends to yield to more ball movement.

I like that his jumper looked better than expected but im still skeptical on the range because of his low release and i wonder how real it is in general. The kid should be able to contribute better than expected. Im not surprised by the drop because he's not a stellar awe-inspiring talent. I don't forsee scrub either though like some are saying he'll be since he dropped. I see a really solid pro with the potential to be "Milsap good" where he's outworking and utilizing what he does have better than the guys that may be more talented than he is.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft