Is Cameron Payne the next Steph Curry?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: Is Cameron Payne the next Steph Curry? 

Post#21 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:08 pm

stitches wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Trey Burke is short though, he's like 5'11, Cameron Payne is 6'2.

According to their combine measurements:
in shoes: 6'1.25'' vs 6'1.5''
without shoes: 5'11.75'' vs 6'0.75''

The difference is 1 inch at best.

one inch could be the difference between getting your shot off at a more consistent level.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#22 » by stitches » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:09 pm

J_Ray wrote:
stitches wrote:
J_Ray wrote:
Payne is much better at changing pace to create space, much better passer, brilliant at finishing with his floater and realizes his strengths rather than being overly confident like Burke.

People forget how good and shifty Burke looked in college. Those were precisely listed as his strenghts - shifty, change of pace...

"EXTREMELY quick with the ball, advanced ball handler", "scores in variety of ways", can attack the paint or hurt you from DEEP range", "changes speeds EXTREMELY well, goes right and left"... and he was doing all of this against much better competition and on much bigger stage.

His current failures are clouding the judgement of people.

Burke was guy that jumped up boards over the tournament and tested poorly in athletic testing. Everything pointed towards being a bust but tournament heroes always keep the hype. I stick to my statement from what my assessment was rather than depending on what other people were saying.

Here are their measurements from the combine:

measurement- Burke-Payne
height ------6' 1.25" - 6'1.5''
wingspan---6' 5.5"-6' 7.25"
reach -------8' 1.5"-8' 1.5"
max vert ---36.5-35.5
sprint -------3.16-3.28
lane agility- 11.20-10.89
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#23 » by Golabki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:36 pm

I think Payne will be lucky to be a back up in the nba.

I wouldn't take him in the first round.

I see him as a stat stuffer on a bad team.
J_Ray
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#24 » by J_Ray » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 pm

stitches wrote:
J_Ray wrote:
stitches wrote:People forget how good and shifty Burke looked in college. Those were precisely listed as his strenghts - shifty, change of pace...

"EXTREMELY quick with the ball, advanced ball handler", "scores in variety of ways", can attack the paint or hurt you from DEEP range", "changes speeds EXTREMELY well, goes right and left"... and he was doing all of this against much better competition and on much bigger stage.

Burke was guy that jumped up boards over the tournament and tested poorly in athletic testing. Everything pointed towards being a bust but tournament heroes always keep the hype. I stick to my statement from what my assessment was rather than depending on what other people were saying.

Here are their measurements from the combine:

measurement- Burke-Payne
height ------6' 1.25" - 6'1.5''
wingspan---6' 5.5"-6' 7.25"
reach -------8' 1.5"-8' 1.5"
max vert ---36.5-35.5
sprint -------3.16-3.28
lane agility- 11.20-10.89

Payne has better measurables, according to the measurements Burke wore shoes twice as big as Payne during measurements. Maybe Burke needs to bust those out in Utah too. Height and wingspan advantages are pretty significant. Like I said, there is a clear difference in the style they play and if you switch their situations Payne performs much better in Michigan.
Check my blog for a fresh outlook on the NBA:https://dimestonylon.wordpress.com
The_Reversal
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#25 » by The_Reversal » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:57 am

J_Ray wrote:
stitches wrote:
J_Ray wrote:
Payne is much better at changing pace to create space, much better passer, brilliant at finishing with his floater and realizes his strengths rather than being overly confident like Burke.

People forget how good and shifty Burke looked in college. Those were precisely listed as his strenghts - shifty, change of pace...

These Trey Burke discussions are getting out of control. Payne might be good, he might not, but he certainly cannot be compared to Curry. We don't even know if Burke is going to be good or not yet, so I'm not sure what that comparison does to advance the discussion either way.
CancerAssassin
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#26 » by CancerAssassin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:53 pm

MessiahUjiri wrote:Before you start flaming, hear me out.

As someone who watched both players, I can't help but see the parallels between these two guys.

Both thin framed guys who can handle the ball really well, score with either hand, shoot with confidence, and make terrific passes.

Steph is obviously a better shooter (that's not much of a knock, since Steph is likely the best shooter of all time), but Cameron is actually a better passer.

Steph is taller by 2 inches, but Cameron's wingspan is a massive 6'7. I honestly think that if Cameron was three inches taller (even with the same wingspan) he would be talked about next to D'Angelo and Mudiay.

If you get 75% of Steph Curry, that's still allstar level production. I'd even argue that he can be a better player than Mudiay.

Thoughts?

I made this same argument. I certainly didn't think that before watching a fair amount of Cam Payne. For me, it's the handle. Curry and Payne both just have a way of making everything look smooth, like the ball is an extension of themselves. The BBIQ, the way they create separation, size, steals, vision, floater game, etc.
I am in no way suggesting he will have a comparable career though. Curry is an elite shooter with perfect mechanics. Payne makes a lot of shots with a somewhat broken jumper, he pushes a little and doesn't get enough arc on his shot, it will be much harder for him to adjust to the NBA 3pter. That could be the difference between MVP and career back-up.
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#27 » by Dcebucks11 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:51 pm

If Payne is the next curry OKC gonna be unstoppable
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#28 » by EddieJonesFan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:28 pm

Of course he is, since there are so many players like Curry, it only stands to reason that there's always another one just around the corner.
joyeuxnoel
Bench Warmer
And1: 699

Post#29 » by joyeuxnoel » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:43 am

i dont think hes close to the next curry LOL

but i'd take him on the sixers. OKC pick + take in a salary dump for payne?
Embiid-Simmons-Covington

Fire Colangelo
majortom71
Starter
And1: 1,186

Post#30 » by majortom71 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:59 am

Moooose wrote:He's not, they are of different skill sets. What makes Payne pass the eye test is his feel for the game, his instincts. He runs a team and not just an offense.

Would you say he's similar to Elfrid Payton but with a better shot?
I haven't seen his game just reading about him so far.

Return to NBA Draft